Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm just loving baffled how Biden tweeting we need 2k stimulus checks should be interpreted as anything other than a 2k check, not 1400 to make it 2k total. If we are being told this isn't even a walk back and interpreting that as meaning a 2k check is wrong then what the gently caress? Who gives a gently caress what we think in our broke brain forum, this poo poo is not going to do any favors with voters that matter. It's just non-sensical on what could have been a solid move out the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

maffew buildings posted:

I'm just loving baffled how Biden tweeting we need 2k stimulus checks should be interpreted as anything other than a 2k check, not 1400 to make it 2k total. If we are being told this isn't even a walk back and interpreting that as meaning a 2k check is wrong then what the gently caress? Who gives a gently caress what we think in our broke brain forum, this poo poo is not going to do any favors with voters that matter. It's just non-sensical on what could have been a solid move out the gate.

For real. The six hundred dollars checks had already cleared. The Georgia runoff elections were over.

Any official who used the phrase “$2000 stimulus checks” on the tenth day of January was either recognizing and maintaining a promise, or senile.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You keep attacking me. I'm just pointing out where you are wrong. Sorry

Time value of money only applies to rich people, not poor people. you idiot. you god drat poo poo for brains.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

For real. The six hundred dollars checks had already cleared. The Georgia runoff elections were over.

Still waiting on that $600. I think McNally is too.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

It's okay to admit you were wrong and take a break

For the love of God turn on your monitor.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Does mcanally even have any hair left

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bird cooch posted:

He's not the one who's wrong itt tho

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I feel like the dems left their messaging on the checks intentionally vague and we should push them on putting out more because it will be 6 months atleast before we revisit the issue.

We won’t be getting recurring payments and we have a shot at twisting centrists arms on this. We should take it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Speaking in what minimum wage should be, I saw this about what following the 30% of income for your rent would look like in earnings. I think it’s a pretty good estimate for minimum wage by state.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Christ, I go clean the house and do a ride and thread explodes.

Here have this, more proof that even if you're educated (I assume the guy has a PharmD) you can still be a colossal idiot

https://twitter.com/JustinRohrlich/status/1355964605709873155?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I believed that the sky was a shield put up by the government, I would keep my head down because there is no use going against anyone with that kind of power.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bird cooch posted:

Sorry if you hate getting called out for being a lovely neolib

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Why are you like this?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Platystemon posted:

My personal understanding, in December, was that there would be two thousand dollars total, between the six hundred in the compromise spending bill and presumably a one‐time payment of fourteen hundred.

That understanding became obsolete when Democrats, repeatedly, and at multiple levels, pushed the idea of literal two‐thousand‐dollar checks.

That was mine, too. I'd be plenty happy if we got new $2,000 checks, but I'm feeling gaslit by people insisting literally nobody anywhere at any point said anything like "we need to increase the $600 to $2,000."

I boggles me that people insist on being so amazingly, utterly lovely about this point when it doesn't matter what people were saying back in December because the right move to make is to issue another $2,000 or greater now.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

[/url]

How do you even begin to deal with crap like this? Make it so that the cabinets to access the Covid Vaccine requires two keys and no one can distribute it without another person watching to make sure idiot rear end conspiracy theorists don't delay vaccination efforts or have a bunch of people believing they have been vaccinated but instead just got injected with water?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why are you like this?

Because I'm not a lovely neolib?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Fallom posted:

That was mine, too. I'd be plenty happy if we got new $2,000 checks, but I'm feeling gaslit by people insisting literally nobody anywhere at any point said anything like "we need to increase the $600 to $2,000."

I boggles me that people insist on being so amazingly, utterly lovely about this point when it doesn't matter what people were saying back in December because the right move to make is to issue another $2,000 or greater now.

Did you read the second half of the post you quoted? Asking for a friend

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Did you read the second half of the post you quoted? Asking for a friend

Yes, and I agree with it because some Democrats did push the point of $2,000 checks in things like the Georgia election. After everybody got their news cycle last year talking about how they agreed with Trump that $600 should be increased to $2,000.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Holy gently caress drop it

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Fallom posted:

Yes, and I agree with it because some Democrats did push the point of $2,000 checks in things like the Georgia election. After everybody got their news cycle last year talking about how they agreed with Trump that $600 should be increased to $2,000.

Joe Biden's Twitter account posted "600 is not enough, we need 2000 dollar checks" after the 600 was passed so I mean that's top down failure of messaging if they just meant "we need to add 1400"

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Theres no distance in the politics of almost everyone in here.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Joe Biden's Twitter account posted "600 is not enough, we need 2000 dollar checks" after the 600 was passed so I mean that's top down failure of messaging if they just meant "we need to add 1400"

Yes, I agree that there's a messaging failure. Which is why instead of talking about how there's a great messaging success my post instead talked about feeling gaslit that people insisted there was never a point where Democrats were pushing for $1,400 because I am right now laying my eyeballs on an amendment the House passed in December to do just that.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lightpole posted:

Theres no distance in the politics of almost everyone in here.

That's definitely not true. The greatest lie moderate liberals ever told themselves is that people to their left only disagree with them about tactics.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Best Friends posted:

That's definitely not true. The greatest lie moderate liberals ever told themselves is that people to their left only disagree with them about tactics.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Fun thing about AOC:

https://twitter.com/mmcauliff/status/1355961935930544129?s=19

Schumer doesn't find his balls without her. He's worried about a primary, because Schumer has never sounded or acted like this in the history of ever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Here have this, more proof that even if you're educated (I assume the guy has a PharmD) you can still be a colossal idiot

He looks like a C&C character

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

But he MEANT a total of 2k, not 2k, duh get your facts right reactionary leftist

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/jbrous41/status/1355917505617932293?s=19

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

lol sounds like someone was dipping into the supply

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

I was really looking forward to the end of legislation via Twitter once Trump was gone.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
We had this exact discussion before and came out of it acknowledging that the Dems massively hosed up their messaging after passing a literal amendment to a bill increasing 600 to 1400, that this was entirely their fault, that a 2,000 check would be the right course of action based on their fuckup on messaging, and that a one-time payment is still not enough to alleviate the damage.

And now Acebuckeye is getting called a lovely neolib for posting a literal timeline of events.

Oh my days.

In non-poo poo news, my old man is getting his second vaccination shot next week (hopefully), I'm slowly settling into the new responsibilities of my job, the days are getting longer, and we may actually get a grip on this pandemic by the summer.

I'm honestly feeling a hint of hope for the near future, and it's a somewhat alien feeling, to be perfectly honest.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

this guy has an interesting curbside sermonyell about The Technology of Peace

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
MUH DECORUM

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I feel like everyone needs to shut up about this, because holy poo poo its annoying. There's alot of poo poo that needs fixed and bickering like this gets old real fast.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I feel like everyone needs to shut up about this, because holy poo poo its annoying. There's alot of poo poo that needs fixed and bickering like this gets old real fast.

I agree and what's gotten buried is that there are at least 10 Republicans willing to raise the minimum wage to $15 AND index it to something.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stultus Maximus posted:

I agree and what's gotten buried is that there are at least 10 Republicans willing to raise the minimum wage to $15 AND index it to something.

You may want to reread what those ten Republicans offered

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Pine Cone Jones posted:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Stultus Maximus posted:

They didn't offer this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Fun thing about AOC:

https://twitter.com/mmcauliff/status/1355961935930544129?s=19

Schumer doesn't find his balls without her. He's worried about a primary, because Schumer has never sounded or acted like this in the history of ever.

This is good, I hope it plays out as such.