Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Beat Sonic Forces yesterday. Usually in 3D Sonics I hate them at first, then decide to at least look for collectibles because I really enjoy exploration, then suddenly it clicks and the game becomes mostly fun. I don't know about this one, though. It's both hyper-polished and somehow extremely badly made. It feels terrible to play when it lets me. You keep getting meaningless tchotchkes to outfit your character with.

okay who am I kidding I will totally get all the red rings and then post about how it's actually kinda fun once you get used to the weird-rear end acceleration and the dumbass wisp system

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Told myself I gotta beat all the 2d metroids before the new one comes out. The only ones I ever beat in the past were super metroid (God tier game) and metroid 2 on the game boy. Finally beat this today

I really enjoyed fusion. Not as good as super metroid (nothing is) but still a really good game that I've been meaning to beat since I bought it on launch. I still had the Nintendo power players guide for it in my closet lol

Now to beat the other gba metroid game, Zero Mission
Both Fusion and ZM own a lot, enjoy your time with it. If you like the fluid movement and wonder about some weird shortcuts you found, consider a replay where you gently caress around a little, maybe look up some tricks. It's designed to be sequence broken in a way I haven't seen in any other game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

STONE COLD 64 posted:

simply simon it sounds like from your repeated posting you don't actually enjoy the video games you are playing. if you are playing a game and it is not fun or rewarding, have you considered just playing a different one?
I know it sounds like that, but I do actually enjoy playing "bad" games a lot. Either I lol about how bad they are a lot while playing and lol again when reminiscing online, or - and that happens a surprising amount of time - I realize what the designers were going for, find a lot of genuinely good parts, and start enjoying them for what they are. Hence my stockholm thread.

I do purposefully seek out a lot of games that look bad because I'm curious to how they feel. I'm often positively surprised. "Bad" games are a lot more interesting than mediocre ones. I'm mostly sad that Forces seems to fall squarely on the mediocre side.

If you want to have a list of games I beat this year that I fully enjoyed, here goes:
- Persona 4 Golden
- Hades*
- Slay the Spire*
- Final Fantasy 7 (original, replay, still owns)
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Halo: CE (co-op with a buddy)
- Hollow Knight
- Dark Souls 2 (for like the tenth time)

*as much as you can "beat" a Roguelike, I'm still playing both

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Haha I rest my case and bow my head

I'm playing Hades on Switch so I don't actually know how much I have left; it surprised me that the story kept just going after the credits. It rules

StS I'm slowly working up the Ascensions. Up to 9 on every char rn.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

5/5 - Really fantastic game. It took a few things from Hollow Knight but it still retains its personality without coming off as a blatant ripoff.

I beat both this year and didn't see much similarity. What parallels did you find if I may ask?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

b_d posted:

they replaced the entire combat system from the first game with a sword that works almost exactly like the nail in hollow knight, including the ability to pogo on enemies (more limited though). they also adopted a simplified version of the charm system. i think that's about it though
I can see that! I mostly compared Ori WotW to the first one, and liked how e.g. you could get double jump now without filling out the whole tree of semi-useful skills. It's very possible they saw Hollow Knight and decided to emulate it; thanks for the food for thought!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I beat all of SMT4 on the half-hour commute to my job in 2015 and now I can be at work in 5 minutes which sounds great

But

But.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Spare the switch, spoil the child

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Baxate posted:

Timespinner. Neat lil 5 hour metroidvania game.
I beat that and found it kinda easy so I tried the hard mode and it was insane. Still fun on Normal but weird balance

Great art!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If you haven't played it yet, you're the dream candidate for playing Link Between Worlds right after LttP, one in a billion

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

That’s the plan!
Awesome. I loved LbW and so did my wife who had no prior Zelda experience. True gem imo. Enjoy!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I too love the poo poo out of Dawn. Order is the most different of the three, and for me my least favorite; its combat system heavily favors - and demands, considering the boss HP - button mashing, and I hate that.

You can build around that, and it's an excellent game, but I just can't get into it that much. You gotta try it for yourself, you might love it!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

requires you to use boss weaknesses [...] some will just take a lot longer.
That was my main issue, actually. There's a few bosses especially early game where the best strategy is obviously "glyph it's weak to on Y, same glyph on X, alternate mash like your life depends on it", and it's either hurt my fingers like that or choose a strategy that takes three times as long, and I'll gently caress up at some point.

As I said, very much a me problem and I 100% recommend trying the game out to see if it's not a problem for you at all. I wish I could enjoy it more.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

FFV is so loving good, I've beaten it like 15 times

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Halo 2 Legendary co-op

Torture all the way through, but the kind where you cheer for every single checkpoint like it's your graduation

The final boss was complete rear end but my buddy remembered all the cool tricks from og Xbox and brought a plane into the room, then it was still rear end, but doable rear end

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The GBA of Theseus

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

they have to protect trade secrets
Last gen onwards: wait, it's just a computer?!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

https://youtu.be/8yGfQak-q9M

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Cinders is feature-creeping so heavily that I expect a "modders rebuilt all of Bloodborne within DS3" IGN article by the end of next month

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

https://www.gamesradar.com/how-one-player-turned-skyrim-into-dark-souls-with-500-mods/

Oh lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Uncharted: Lost Legacy

Took me eight and a half hours, which I think is a great length for a spinoff game. Could always go back and do higher difficulties/treasures, but I'm good for now. It was great to look at, generally fun to play, and I especially enjoyed the middle chapter that was just a big open field which you could do a lot of optional stuff in, and which had a great reward (treasure radar).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

heehee posted:

god drat the music in this game is so fuckin good
It's been 20 years since I played it and I still sometimes whistle it unprompted

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

metroid samus returns

bad
I liked it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Did you get the secondary exits some of the levels have? As a kid, I didn't know those existed and it blew my mind when I found out, from a 100% speedrun of all things

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

wisdom

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

This game had always eluded me when it was current, so I was happy for the remake coming out. I had heard a lot of mixed opinions on it, so I went in with tempered expectations. I came out with mixed opinions myself, but not quite how I expected it

The good
+ it looks absolutely gorgeous. The HD probably helped, but generally the art direction, how the temples are decorated etc. is fantastic. So lush!
+ final boss especially looks sick as hell
+ motion controls aren't that bad. I've never hated them to begin with in other games, they were mostly fine here, and it's fun to slash away like a maniac
+ parrying is both fun and effective
+ some excellent dungeons, some excellent fights

The bad
- structure is a total mess. You can never tell how much game is left or if you're making any concrete progress because the story keeps throwing random padding your way. There's no distinction between minor and major dungeons, so more than once I was like "oh that's already over, just a minor diversion then I guess" OR "oh huh this is a full thing with item + boss"
- for some fights, the controls are simply not precise enough. Especially in the last battles, where first stabbing (and only that) is key and then you need to hold up the sword skywardly quickly, that shows badly. The fights aren't super hard but I kept getting hit because Link just wasn't doing what I wanted. On the other hand, sometimes they were TOO precise, as in it was almost impossible to slice twice from the same direction, because you have to move your hand back to the starting position, which the game eagerly interpreted as a slash in the other direction
- all the character models including Link look like total dipshits
- Fi wasn't AS bad as I expected (tho they might have toned her down for the HD version?), but she still spoiled a lot of what could have been cool puzzles. After a while I also just stopped reading stone tablets that kept spelling out the simplest puzzles
- didn't care for any of the sidequests (did them all tho) or minigames (definitely didn't do those), especially because getting around the world is just so drat tedious

Overall, I'm happy that I got to experience it and it was worth it for a lot of stunning visuals, some fights and dungeons. It's very much a cherry-pick game, but I'd recommend it for anyone to try out, with - again - tempered expectations.

Now I'm in a Zelda mood and eager to re-experience Twilight Princess, which I last played 15 years ago when it came out.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Prey is so loving good

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That Little Demon posted:

decided to make a list in excel of every game I wanted to beat (or beat again) before I die

I'm already over 600 games and I have only got through a few systems so far lol

was gonna make a thread about it but figured I'd just say it here for now
google sheets and link you coward

also open comments

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

3 years huh. Well don't worry, you'll beat it soon enough.
Wheezing here

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Last Story is an unsung gem which I really enjoyed despite how weird many things about it are, what a stroke of luck for your first game! Really enjoy seeing your livepost it, good memories there.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Metroid Dread, joining the 100% train. Just a bit above 9 hours.

Awesome every second. I immediately want to replay it on hard. What a game!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

mbt posted:

mega man x3 - buster only

I don't like any of the subweapons in this game, i dislike how they made most of them do nothing if the enemy wasn't vulnerable to them. mega man x is still the best
Crush Crawfish's weapon used basically like a shotgun ftw, Triad Thunder can also clean house (but it's almost boring how good it is). Generally agree tho

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

SF64 ftw and Roche ftw. Felt robbed when the former didn't get any good sequels as a kid and when the later just never showed up again as an adult

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gonna slide in to say that I really enjoyed learning about Burger Time

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The first time I played Castlevania was for a race I was invited to. I told them it was a bad idea and I'd gently caress it up, but they told me "you're good at Mega Man it's gonna be fine"

I died so often to the White Dragon before the Frankenstein fight. Even the demo dude can't beat him!!! gently caress!!!!

I eventually made it through, but I don't think I ever beat the whole game afterwards because everybody else had finished long before? Maybe I should lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

i'm using the wikipedia list and sorting by north american release date:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

i did a rough count and i think it's 100 games away, lmao.
It's actually crazy how quick Konami (used to...) jump onto new hardware. Castlevania: The Adventure is also one of the very first Game Boy games, not quite a launch title but definitely part of the first wave. When I realized that, it made how poo poo is it make a little more sense, haha

Also, the composer took one look at the sound chip and said: yeah I can make this poo poo my bitch. check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgGxQGd4I4

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Jenny Agutter posted:

I like the NES updates bicyclops

Same. If they're too impure or whatever for this thread, I'd happily follow a separate one

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

I beat Castlevania Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance. I played the latter before and I beat it again today. Aria of Sorrow is next, can't wait.

I'm on a bit of a Metroidvania kick lately so I've been playing quite a few of them. I got this whole list and everything.
Hell yeah. I've bought the Collection because I'm on the same kick, already up to the Walljump in Circle. I've dabbled in it twice but always lost interest at some point despite generally liking it, this time I'll beat it for sure, and I really want to try those extra modes. Got a lot of cards already, I think they upped the drop rate? Good stuff.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (CV Advance Collection on Switch)

I'd tried this two times before emulated, and I liked it but always got into a "too annoying now, will do later" mood. On Switch, motivation was no issue, blasted through it in about 6 hours.

It's a strange game. Many questionable design decisions, but I admire with how much confidence they were made. Having to double-tap to run is stupid, but at least they gave you the upgrade to even be able to do that extremely fast (don't have to beat a boss for it) and the enemies seem mostly designed around you not being able to turn on movement speed in the air on demand. This is very obvious in the second-to-final boss which walks and runs at your speed, and for his basic attack stops in place and then stabs with a sword so dinky that you can literally walk away from it. You also get the double jump extremely quickly, so your movement isn't actually that bad.

There is no shop. You have to farm everything from enemies - every armor, the entire magic system, even the basic potions. But every enemy has only two drops, one common one rare, so you can absolutely find out which drops what with experimentation. I think this is what they wanted you to do - make your own list. Be thorough. With the Collection, you fortunately get an Encyclopedia, and even a pop-up if an enemy drops a card, and if you've gotten it already. But again, I acknowledge the design idea, and the purity behind it. In a similar vein is how lousy with breakable walls the game is, I'd estimate at least 60% of the permanent upgrade are hidden behind a random spot you can destroy to reveal a passage. It's not a long game, but they wanted you to really explore it to get everything.

Dumbest moment: when I found out that you can, in fact, slide from the start and don't have to wait for an upgrade. About 2/3 of the way through. So many upgrades gotten way later than necessary...

"Game please" moment: I had to look up how to get one of the cards, which is obtained from a mimic candle enemy that spawns in an out-of-the-way boss room (no reason to ever go back there), but only after a boss about three bosses later down the chain has been killed. For all the respect I just expressed, this one's bullshit. Then I had to look up how to actually use the summon card combos (input a half-circle + attack).

Regardless, the game is definitely fun enough for a replay, and I'm super excited to do it with the other classes. Magician already seems sick.

I've also started Harmony of Dissonance and hoo boy. It seems like a reaction to criticism of Circle, like entirely informed by that, and it's not confidently designed at all. The menus look like rear end. The abilities lack tutorializing (no snazzy pictures like in Circle that illustrate the move). It's garish as hell and sounds even worse. The dash is great but your normal jump is incredibly floaty and slow, and there's no dash-jump. I did finish this before, I'll do it again, but I doubt my opinion of it will improve much now that it's on handheld and has an (admittedly really useful) counter for Relics for each area on the side.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I really like the GBA version of FF2 and am excited to play pixel!FF2 after I finish 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Circle of the Moon - Magician Mode

This game loving rules, I immediately started a Fighter playthrough afterwards and am three bosses in already. These extra modes are everything I'd hoped for!