Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
well, we've finally reached the end of the hellyear that was 2020. nothing can make it better than voting for year-end wrestling awards with all of your friends in Don't Post Puro Here. categories are drawn and stolen wholeheartedly from Wrestling Observer year-end awards. you can vote for as many or as few as you'd like. I will keep this open until 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time on January 17th.

make your case for your favorite wrestling work of the year in this thread! tell the world why YOU think Zicky Dice is the frontrunner for Wrestler of the Year.

:frogsiren: VOTING LINK: https://forms.gle/neSCSJNxaKVA3dJv6 :frogsiren:

discussion from the last three months of the year for Observer Awards are in this thread, if you want to see how others in the forum have been leaning.

2020 year-end voting for DPPH's MMA awards are in this thread.

the categories are here if you want to copy and paste it in this thread or see them before going to the Google Form:

code:
[i][b]Category A Awards (three votes for each category)[/b][/i]
[b]Wrestler of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Most Outstanding Wrestler:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Tag Team of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Best on Interviews:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Promotion of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Best Weekly TV Show:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Best Show of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Worst Show of the Year:[/b]
1)
2)
3)
[b]Best Wrestling Maneuver:[/b]
1)
2)
3)

[i][b]Category B Awards (one vote for each category)[/b][/i]
[b]Best Box Office Draw:[/b]
[b]Feud of the Year:[/b]
[b]Most Improved:[/b]
[b]Most Charismatic[/b]:
[b]Best Technical Wrestler:[/b]
[b]Best Brawler:[/b]
[b]Best Flying Wrestler:[/b]
[b]Most Overrated:[/b]
[b]Most Underrated[/b]:
[b]Rookie of the Year:[/b]
[b]Best Non-Wrestler:[/b]
[b]Best Television Announcer:[/b]
[b]Worst Television Announcer:[/b]
[b]Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic:[/b]
[b]Worst Television Show:[/b]
[b]Worst Match of the Year:[/b]
[b]Worst Feud of the Year:[/b]
[b]Worst Promotion:[/b]
[b]Best Booker:[/b]
[b]Promoter of the Year:[/b]
[b]Best Gimmick:[/b]
[b]Worst Gimmick:[/b]
[b]Best on Social Media:[/b]
[b]Worst on Social Media:[/b]
[b]Best Wrestling Book:[/b]
[b]Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Documentary:[/b]
[b]Best Wrestling Podcast:[/b]

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Can you add best podcast to category B? That’s be a good award.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

Punch McLightning posted:

Can you add best podcast to category B? That’s be a good award.

good idea, I added it in. if you already voted and you want to vote for this award, pm me your vote and I will add in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wow, that was way harder than I thought. It was easy to pick my top couple of best matches but when it came to the third there were so many great options. 1st place with a bullet though easily went to Mr. Brodie Lee obliterating Cody Rhodes to win the TNT title. That was just perfection, the only thing that came close was The Young Bucks vs. FTR.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Are multi-day events like Wrestle Kingdom considered to be one show or several individual shows?

Like if I want to pick WK14 as my best show of the year, should my pick be one of the two days.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 4, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I specified which day I picked (I preferred Night 1 to Night 2) and made sure to put in the date just to be clear.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I voted for a lot of Joshi/ChocoPro stuff just because I wanted to make sure they got credit.

Emi Sakura was in danger of losing Gatoh Move due to the pandemic and going online-only with ChocoPro saved it. She deserved my vote for Best Promoter.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

I voted for a lot of Joshi/ChocoPro stuff just because I wanted to make sure they got credit.

Emi Sakura was in danger of losing Gatoh Move due to the pandemic and going online-only with ChocoPro saved it. She deserved my vote for Best Promoter.

Emi was also my pick for Best Promoter :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I voted for Tony Khan and now I feel bad for not voting for Emi Sakura :smith:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I voted Tony best booker, so my mind was in the same place

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

a cyborg mug posted:

Are multi-day events like Wrestle Kingdom considered to be one show or several individual shows?

Like if I want to pick WK14 as my best show of the year, should my pick be one of the two days.

I believe Dave last year considered Wrestle Kingdom as one show instead of two, so I’ll do the same.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

I believe Dave last year considered Wrestle Kingdom as one show instead of two, so I’ll do the same.

So a WK Day 1 pick = WK? I wouldn’t change my pick or anything, just want to make sure, maybe make things clearer for other people :)

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

yes, if you vote for either night they’ll be considered a vote for the entire show. the same would apply for multi-night shows with the same name, such as WrestleMania. individual tournament nights such as G1 or New Japan Cup will be considered separate events.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

there's some days left to vote. here's a discussion topic that may help people who haven't voted yet based on early returns. it's like a 20-way tie for first place in Most Improved because everyone has one vote. who do you think was Most Improved this year? make your case!

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 7, 2021

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

2020 was the year YOSHI-HASHI became cool so he’s my pick

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taichi cause dude went from really good in 2019 to a guaranteed MOTYC machine in 2020

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

maki itoh has developed into an actual main eventer this year without the ability to use any of her gimmicks as a crutch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Britt Baker went from someone only myself and Irish Trevor believed in to someone who seems universally praised for her character work and has been excellent in-ring.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Britt Baker went from someone only myself and Irish Trevor believed in to someone who seems universally praised for her character work and has been excellent in-ring.

I originally voted for her, but I changed to John Silver. His shift in personality has moved him from a background guy to a superstar.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I think I voted for Tay Conti in that category. It's night and day from her debut to where she is now. And she has one of the most unique movesets in both AEW and WWE.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A few For Your Considerations:

SB Kento is a rookie of the year candidate who at the end of this year solidified his rocket push by tapping out Dragon Kid to disband Toryumon Generation. I put him in for Rookie Of The Year, and that match (RED vs Toryumon, Final Gate 12/20) for Match Of The Year, but I'd say he's worth a look for Most Improved as well.

Hangman Page is an easy Best On Social Media, but my pick for Worst on Social, Retribution, may have gone under the radar off tv because of their awful performance on tv. A faction that was supposed to be an insurgent force bent against WWE but spends all their time Vincel posting on the company's behalf. Just a mess.

My Best Documentary pick, The Rise And Fall of Blackcraft, didn't have the production value of more high profile docs, but the research done on a fascinating failure of a company speaks for itself.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Also, a few for your considerations for podcasts:

VOW Flagship: 3 hours of entertaining chat about a variety of wrestling topics, thankfully not including WWE (usually, sometimes they talk about PPVs, but they avoid Raw recaps and such). If you want to hear about the latest developments in second tier japanese companies, old territory discussion, or interesting developments in euro indies, you'll probably find something of interest in a Flagship episode. Their takes, and Lanza in particular, can be a bit on the fuddy duddy "I don't like jokes in my wrestling" side, but they aren't just fishing for outrage, and that makes disagreeing with them easier.

Open The Voice Gate: two of the most knowledgeable Dragon System scholars giving news and views. The Rewind and Rewatch series going over Dragon Gate USA has in particular been a great listen, detailing one of the strangest periods in Gabe Sapolsky's career.

Bad Wrestling Podcast: it's not confidence

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Yo don't forget the Rudocast

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pinche Rudo posted:

Yo don't forget the Rudocast

I thought that was already covered

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Punch McLightning posted:

I originally voted for her, but I changed to John Silver. His shift in personality has moved him from a background guy to a superstar.

Silver is just doing things on a bigger stage. I don't think anyone would say the Beaver Boys were a bad team or that they lacked personality. He has more confidence now, but even he's saying these are things he's always done, just now they are on BTE or national TV.

Britt had never been a heel before and a lot of people thought she genuinely sucked.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Mizuki should win best move.

Also I voted forkboy84 for Best Promoter.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
and i know "Best Brawler" might as well be the Tomohiro Ishii award but i'm voting for Shingo Takagi this year - the man is the best wrestler in the world using a brawler style

also most improved i know no one else will vote for but I went with Jeff Cobb as he managed to put everything together last year, he had all the talent but couldn't get it done and now he's putting on five star matches. He managed to not fall into the conversation around YOSHI HASHI, TAICHI and DOUKI but his ceiling is even higher and he's managed to become someone who is must see

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lid posted:

Mizuki should win best move.

I 100% submitted just to nominate the Whirling Candy for best maneuver.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

to me the two best cases for most improved are giulia and douki in that order. douki went from charmingly bad to legit good. giulia was given a main event push from the outset of her stardom run in late 2019 but felt awkward both in the ring and as a character. by the end of the year she felt incredibly natural in her position on the card and as a unit leader called on to give go home promos on many occasions

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lid posted:

and i know "Best Brawler" might as well be the Tomohiro Ishii award but i'm voting for Shingo Takagi this year - the man is the best wrestler in the world using a brawler style

also most improved i know no one else will vote for but I went with Jeff Cobb as he managed to put everything together last year, he had all the talent but couldn't get it done and now he's putting on five star matches. He managed to not fall into the conversation around YOSHI HASHI, TAICHI and DOUKI but his ceiling is even higher and he's managed to become someone who is must see

I think I voted for Cobb

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i gotta get my submission in

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I couldn't think of any one specific thing WWE did that I would call the worst promotional tactic and didn't want to dive into that septic tank to remind myself so I just left it blank.
Also Sean Morley for worst at social media. Maybe it doesn't count because he's been retired forever but holy poo poo is he a chud among chuds.
-1 for best non-wrestler. Anna Jay for most improved and rookie of the year. (I didn't think of Britt Baker and now I'm kicking myself a little because it's such a slam dunk)
Also, a lot of The Elite.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i submitted

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

JOHN CENA posted:

i submitted

John Cena would never do this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Junpei Hyde posted:

John Cena would never do this

He would do this you son of a bitch

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

a few more days left for voting, make sure to get your ballot in. here's another two discussion topics in races that are looking pretty close:

Worst Match of the Year
Worst Feud of the Year

what was the worst, most absolute dogshit you saw this year? what will you evangelize everyone to stay away from at all costs? what will be the worst wrestling in the worst year of our lifetimes?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
WMOTY has to be Matt/Sammy. Other matches were bad for bad booking or bad workrate or bad gimmicks, this was bad on a whole other level

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I think Jado vs Yano might be the worst match I've ever seen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bard Maddox posted:

a few more days left for voting, make sure to get your ballot in. here's another two discussion topics in races that are looking pretty close:

Worst Match of the Year
Worst Feud of the Year

what was the worst, most absolute dogshit you saw this year? what will you evangelize everyone to stay away from at all costs? what will be the worst wrestling in the worst year of our lifetimes?

Roman Reigns vs Jey Uso by far. Seeing the comments about this match "has it even started yet?" like ten minutes into the match and watching it and seeing 40 minutes of absolutely nothing. No action and terrible acting. Just the most boring, tedious match and a further sign of where WWE is taking their presentation.

Sorry I meant the Hell in a Cell match I am sure you could read this and not be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I think Jado vs Yano might be the worst match I've ever seen.

I considered that one but I really hated the first Naito vs EVIL match in concept and execution incredibly much, especially in the NJPW Big Show Main Event slot. I think I put that in. Maybe