Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kestral posted:

Other stuff like, run their own game, hopefully. Premise rejection is fine, but you’d better be ready to step up if you’re not going to engage with the concept / structure of the game.

I saw a lot of "nah, that's boring. Let's go to kill some dragon. Are there any rumors about dragons in this town?" in my teenage years.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

YggdrasilTM posted:

I saw a lot of "nah, that's boring. Let's go to kill some dragon. Are there any rumors about dragons in this town?" in my teenage years.

“Ahhh yes I think I see a dragon riiiiight oveeeeer…. Here.”

*throws a Monster Manual and DMG on to the table*

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Premise rejection should happen before characters are drafted up.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

There was another time, years later, where one of the character, midway in a campaign, decided that the bad guys (a group of cultists) actually had a point and went to their side. Lo and behold, the whole structure of the campaign completely changed in one session completely outside the premise (and of any of my expectations).

The bad guys actually won in the end, by way.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 31, 2024

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Are there any Kaiju games that isn't about mecha? There is Mecha vs Kaiju, which is awesome, and Titan vs Levithan, which is also cool, but both games are about someone getting a pilotable entity to fight off Kaiju.

I imagined something different. A game where you'd play a bunch of human characters trying to survive the Kaiju assault. And there would be two modes of Kaiju play: shared and Troupe. Shared is like "Everyone is John" where everybody shares a single Kaiju character and can spend a narrative point to control the Kaiju for a scene. Troupe is everyone has their own Kaiju that they can control in Kaiju scenes. The game would have three types of scenes: Human, Kaiju, and mixed. Human scenes only have humans in it. Kaiju scenes are all about monsters. And mixed scenes are about interactions. It'd be a short game and would mostly just follow your classic Kaiju movie plots: you'd have Kaiju vs world (Kaiju(s) that the world is trying to stop), Kaiju vs Kaiju (a kaiju brawl with humans in the middle), and Kaiju saves the world (Kaiju(s) try to stop invaders and humans aid them).

Does this exist or am I going to have to make it?

I'd probably use Belonging Beyond Belonging using Henshin as a basis. It'd likely make it a 20 page microgame and sell it through the workers co-operative I work with. But, I'd love if something already exists because making things is hard.

Kaiju rock.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

YggdrasilTM posted:

There was another time, years later, where one of the character, midway in a campaign, decided that the bad guys (a group of cultists) actually had a point and went to their side. Lo and behold, the whole structure of the campaign completely changed in one session completely outside the premise (and of any of my expectations).

The bad guys actually won in the end, by way.

We had a sci fi game where the bad guys (all American gourmet terrorists with names like chad chet heck and Brad) captured the mayor's daughter and threatened to poison the city's water supply. We said 'ok, we buy a bunch of bottled water and hole up for a few weeks'. The DM laughed, and tore up the scenario he'd written for invading the water supply plant. In retrospect seems weird because that would have been fun, but it was extremely funny at the time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Griddle of Love posted:

Premise rejection should happen before characters are drafted up.

Agreed, with the caveat that rejecting a sidequest isn't the same as rejecting a premise.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Silver2195 posted:

Agreed, with the caveat that rejecting a sidequest isn't the same as rejecting a premise.

I can remember a fate game I was starting with some folks. We sat down to flesh out the world in a sort of session 0 game. I started spitballing things and folks just accepted it. Made me into a steamrolling idiot because no one would push back on literally anything.

Half the players crocheted the whole session while the others tried really hard to explore their characters’ psyche. My partner and I just sort of let loose and had our own fun as no premise was rejected, accepted, or acknowledged.

My partner and I had the time of our lives but got kicked out of it after we were done, “because we weren’t serious enough.”

I’d love to play with a group that engaged in anything related to a premise.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Covok posted:

Are there any Kaiju games that isn't about mecha? There is Mecha vs Kaiju, which is awesome, and Titan vs Levithan, which is also cool, but both games are about someone getting a pilotable entity to fight off Kaiju.

I imagined something different. A game where you'd play a bunch of human characters trying to survive the Kaiju assault. And there would be two modes of Kaiju play: shared and Troupe. Shared is like "Everyone is John" where everybody shares a single Kaiju character and can spend a narrative point to control the Kaiju for a scene. Troupe is everyone has their own Kaiju that they can control in Kaiju scenes. The game would have three types of scenes: Human, Kaiju, and mixed. Human scenes only have humans in it. Kaiju scenes are all about monsters. And mixed scenes are about interactions. It'd be a short game and would mostly just follow your classic Kaiju movie plots: you'd have Kaiju vs world (Kaiju(s) that the world is trying to stop), Kaiju vs Kaiju (a kaiju brawl with humans in the middle), and Kaiju saves the world (Kaiju(s) try to stop invaders and humans aid them).

I'd probably use Belonging Beyond Belonging using Henshin as a basis. It'd likely make it a 20 page microgame and sell it through the workers co-operative I work with. But, I'd love if something already exists because making things is hard.

Kaiju rock.

eldritch escape

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Covok posted:

Kaiju rock.

There has to be a Robot Alchemic Drive ttrpg somewhere. Or at least there should be.

Or maybe an rpg tie in to the movie Colossal.

A lot of that stuff would be hella fun.

Quick and dirty, you could do a funnel in DCC and make a Purple Planet spinoff area.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Covok posted:

Kaiju rock.

Last stand.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Premise rejection is cowardly. Do not accept premise rejection. :colbert:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yes, the bad guy escaped by jumping through an opaque portal. I am jumping in after him. What did he do, again?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Savage Tokakatsu lets you play a Kaiju (and a Power Ranger and a Magical Girl and a Kaman Riider...)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hoo, boy, I finally finished the Avatar Legends rulebook, and I’m… cautiously optimistic about maybe running a play by post version of it with friends on discord if they’re receptive.

For anyone who’s DM’ed under the system, do you have any recommendations on tools to bring aside from the obvious character sheets? Like, in particular I’m thinking of any mapmakers; I know that they’re not strictly necessary at all, but I figured being able to whip up a quick and easy map might help my players with visualizing the action

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Yes, the bad guy escaped by jumping through an opaque portal. I am jumping in after him. What did he do, again?

I considered doing this once, because I was a bit sick of the (premade) character in an extended campaign.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Four hours left on Jenna Moran's The Far Roofs.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Rand Brittain posted:

Four hours left on Jenna Moran's The Far Roofs.

With backerkit to follow for anyone who missed it, apparently.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Covok posted:

Kaiju rock.

In Titans vs. Leviathans you can also play as a human who is friends with a Kiaju and you don't need to pilot that Kaiju.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:hmmyes:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Kaiju rock.
There's a Reign supplement which leverages the company mechanic for kaiju fighting - individuals don't /fight/ kaiju, armies and countries and other kaiju do. Never played it but it sounds like what you want!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Strong agree

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Regalingualius posted:

Hoo, boy, I finally finished the Avatar Legends rulebook, and I’m… cautiously optimistic about maybe running a play by post version of it with friends on discord if they’re receptive.

For anyone who’s DM’ed under the system, do you have any recommendations on tools to bring aside from the obvious character sheets? Like, in particular I’m thinking of any mapmakers; I know that they’re not strictly necessary at all, but I figured being able to whip up a quick and easy map might help my players with visualizing the action

Maps are an excellent way of keeping track of who's gone where and who's locked in combat with who, but because there's no requirement for them to have any particular matching dimensions you could just use background shots from the show and slice the image up appropriately.

One thing I'd caution about running things play by post is that it's often expected there'll be some negotiation about moves and stakes between player and GM, which can really slow down in an asynchronous play environment.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

that's right

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Too bad the dream they'll never achieve is "actually stopping anyone from enjoying D&D."

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

disposablewords posted:

Too bad the dream they'll never achieve is "actually stopping anyone from enjoying D&D."

yeah that's the joke

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
"I just don't understand why people like something I hate!" seems to be a popular take.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"I just don't understand why people like something I hate!" seems to be a popular take.
One term I see a lot on this site is "cognitive dissonance" to describe someone who enjoys something the poster doesn't.They imagine the people who like [thing] are like themselves, but are grinding their teeth and enduring the parts that they hate while somehow convincing themselves that the overall product is good.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

mellonbread posted:

One term I see a lot on this site is "cognitive dissonance" to describe someone who enjoys something the poster doesn't.They imagine the people who like [thing] are like themselves, but are grinding their teeth and enduring the parts that they hate while somehow convincing themselves that the overall product is good.

Look, you only enjoy Thing I Don't Like because you're doing it with friends and that's what makes you think it's good. No, Thing I Do Like is clearly not subject to the same effects.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 3, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i enjoy it in a noble way, unlike the unwashed and hoglike way that YOu play dnd or whatever

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The d20 is a tainted dice with fascist implications

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
sorry for Starting Discourse, i just thought the meme was amusing

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Megazver posted:

sorry for Starting Discourse, i just thought the meme was amusing
your cross-posting memes from tumblr to somethingawful is classist and appropriative and here's why:
first,

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Farg posted:

The d20 is a tainted dice with fascist implications

AD&Dorno posted:

We have lost the ability is lost to roll a d20 quietly and discreetly, yet firmly. Those of source books and dice have to be slammed.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Not every exasperated petty dnd player could have become Hitler, but a particle of Hitler is lodged in every exasperated petty dnd player.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yes

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Covok posted:

Are there any Kaiju games that isn't about mecha?
I mean, you can make a p decent argument that Adeptus Evangelion qualifies, but it's not what you're looking for and I wouldn't recommend it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lol to all of it but especially this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was watching a video series about the Operational Combat System, and one of the points made by the narrator was that you're not really supposed to read the rulebook from front-to-back to learn the game.

Rather, there's a "Sequence of Play" section in an early chapter, and you're supposed to follow-along with it, and whenever you hit a spot that you don't know or you don't understand, you follow the [well-indexed] reference from the current step you're on, to the in-depth explanation of the rule, wherever that might be deeper into the rulebook. And then the next step over, and then the next step over, until you finish a full cycle, and you get more and more proficient, executing steps faster and faster, as you become more familiar with the rules.

It made me think of how often that does come up in my own boardgaming experience ...

(I find that third-party/user-made sequence of play charts tend to be better than the one that comes with the base game, but I'm sticking to the one in the Advanced Squad Leader Rule Book just to illustrate that it is there)

(more modern designs tend to be a lot better about this, as in the above, from "Raiders of the Deep")

It got me thinking about whether there were any TRPGs that were written this way, and for the life of me I couldn't think of one off-hand; although I'm sure some have to exist.

And I don't mean an "example of play" - those tend to be used to establish the dynamics between players and the GM, and maybe some of the process of declaring an action and rolling for it and determining the result, but not the entire top-to-bottom process of gameplay. I suppose one possible argument is that TRPG play is less procedural than a boardgame, but I feel like it could/should still be possible to describe the sequence of:

character creation -> pre-dungeon preparation -> out-of-combat exploration -> combat -> post-dungeon downtime -> repeat to pre-dungeon preparation

Of course, combat itself is another whole long sequence of actions, and reflecting upon that, it also occurred to me that the change in D&D 5e, where movement is no longer an explicit/separate action that has to be taken all by itself, and instead simply a "meter" that you run down in the course of your turn, can arguably be considered a step backwards in this regard, because when trying to teach someone how to run the combat turn for their character, there's no longer a specific "phase" where a character gets to move, or chooses to move, instead of performing an action. It's more flexible, sure, but there's an element of "teachability" and legibility that I hadn't considered before when it comes to an explicit movement phase or action.