Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

mellonbread posted:

This could mean anything from "there are seven core statistics, but only three of them matter" to "every dialogue is resolved with a yes, no, or sarcastic option"

The crafting system uses actual lists of common, uncommon, and rare scrap.

This is not a joke.

To make a beam focuser mod, you need five common scrap and three uncommon scrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Capfalcon posted:

The crafting system uses actual lists of common, uncommon, and rare scrap.

This is not a joke.

To make a beam focuser mod, you need five common scrap and three uncommon scrap.

is it just listed as uncommon type scrap? or do i specifically need ground glass or something

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Has anyone who backed it played around with the Broken Weave PDFs yet? It’s an interesting take on D&D 5e as it removes the spell list and Bonus Actions while using a lot of their Uncharted Journey and Lifepath supplements to shore up the Exploration mechanics. I really want to run a session of it soon.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It is very much a Fallout 4 RPG. It devotes a lot of page space to the game’s crafting system and the Bethesda east coast setting.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Has there ever been a tabletop RPG where crafting was good?

Hell, has there ever been any RPG where crafting was good?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If MMOs count, FFXIV crafting is pretty good and is its own minigame, but that's all I can think of tbh?

I recommend looking at Invisible Sun for a crafting system that has a hellacious loving flowchart with a billion failure states, all for magic items that are all consumable and/or breakable, and there's an entire splat based on this poo poo

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

mellonbread posted:

Atelier. Wouldn’t like to try it on tabletop, though. Maybe app assisted tabletop?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
is anyone here planning on watching the FFXIV TTRPG stream later today (in about 7 hours)? I don't think I'll be awake for it so I'll just be reading people's summaries after the fact, and I'd be interested in hearing what some non-D&Dpilled folks have to say about it.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

mellonbread posted:

Monster Hunter? But it's also literally the entire gameplay loop of literally the entire game. The reward for getting the rare drop from a monster is moving on to hunting a different monster. The consequence of missing the rare Peeved Mauve Diablos Gem drop is that you keep hunting the same monster some more. Either way, the point of playing the game is to keep playing the game.

As far as D&D-adjacent TTRPGs go, pretty much the best implementations of crafting I've seen are either "shopping by another name" or "finding treasure by another name," although yeah I'd agree that crafting your own equipment definitely is more narratively satisfying than just finding or buying stuff the usual way.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I like the idea of artifact enchanting, but you need a specific style of game where you have downtime to make something specific and have it matter, like Ars Magica or a particular flavor of GURPS setup.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

lightrook posted:

Monster Hunter? But it's also literally the entire gameplay loop of literally the entire game. The reward for getting the rare drop from a monster is moving on to hunting a different monster. The consequence of missing the rare Peeved Mauve Diablos Gem drop is that you keep hunting the same monster some more. Either way, the point of playing the game is to keep playing the game.
My only experience with Monster Hunter is my friend streaming it on discord and constantly saying how much he hates the drops and crafting system. But maybe that's like me complaining about getting useless jokers in Balatro.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dragon Quest XI has a fun one, it's a little minigame but the penalty for failure is just you make a baseline item, success means you get a +1-3.

It'd be tricky to make a crafting system really fun in a TRPG because of the additional tracking involved. However, the original Space: 1889's Invention system had an interesting idea that's similar to this- adventures could give you "research dice" in specific areas based on what you saw/experienced and you could use that to invent things. The system may have had some other problems but I liked that part of it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Countblanc posted:

is anyone here planning on watching the FFXIV TTRPG stream later today (in about 7 hours)? I don't think I'll be awake for it so I'll just be reading people's summaries after the fact, and I'd be interested in hearing what some non-D&Dpilled folks have to say about it.

I’m pretty sure that stream is going to be in Japanese and I don’t know if there will be a translator for the tabletop rpg secondary stream

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/4bb95710e34a33dea6bdb8503d8e119f0800b05b

* Please note that the audio for both the main and secondary broadcast will be available in Japanese only.

Granted this says audio, but I’m pretty sure it means no live translator.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

There are two good crafting systems in tabletop RPGs.

One is when you're crafting something that replicates a spell or some other special ability and the system is "it costs x time and y currency to make a thing of z power". This is basically fine. It's how PF2e works where crafting basically only exists for you to get things when the adventure or the local big city isn't making them for you, and you have downtime instead. Ars Magica basically works this way too - there's already a magic system so you're basically just sticking "make permanent/reproducible" costs to it.

The other crafting system is when you work out what level of power the thing is. Then the GM says "it will take x adventures and y downtimes to craft this" and the x adventures are each bespoke adventures to get the specific ingredient you need.

No crafting system ever needs to be more complex than that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DpUW1kKNkNyo_c8SzxcDVMNwCKcSM5TQ5K52aAbixJU/edit?usp=sharing

As some know, I released Magnificent Heroic Roleplaying as a retroclone. However, that was a side project on the way to making Wild Hunt. Wild Hunt is still working out its bugs, but I think releasing MHR gave the wrong impression that Wild Hunt is using a retroclone as its basis. To avoid that misconception, I have converted Wild Hunts inprogress engine into a superhero game, Majestic Superheroic Roleplaying.

MSR also uses the Dicey Fate system, but this is closer to how I plan to generally implement it. It is a much more involved fusion of Fate Core and other systems that has a bigger focus on dramatic change than the MHR did.

To help illustrate the compairsons, MSR is a superhero game as MHR was.

This is the first draft. Let me know what you think.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I’m pretty sure that stream is going to be in Japanese and I don’t know if there will be a translator for the tabletop rpg secondary stream

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/4bb95710e34a33dea6bdb8503d8e119f0800b05b

* Please note that the audio for both the main and secondary broadcast will be available in Japanese only.

That makes sense, hopefully someone bilingual will write up a summary after a while

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I had a lot of fun with the FFG Star Wars crafting system. Can get OP real quick though.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

mellonbread posted:

There are thousands of tabletop RPGs out there and I haven’t played them all, but if I simply make the bold declaration that the answer is “no, there has never been one”, I’m going to be correct like 99% of the time and at worst someone will correct me by pointing to an obscure 2013 release that was only played by five people in total and now lives on page 230 of drivethrurpg and I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

The long answer is that they’re all doomed to fail because they’re trying to turn a process of individual, creative expression into a rules-based procedure and mechanically involved system in a multiplayer game. Invariably it turns into a one-on-one session between the GM and the one player who wants to use the crafting system while the rest of the table sit on their thumbs.

Crafting systems delenda est.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

There are thousands of tabletop RPGs out there and I haven’t played them all, but if I simply make the bold declaration that the answer is “no, there has never been one”, I’m going to be correct like 99% of the time and at worst someone will correct me by pointing to an obscure 2013 release that was only played by five people in total and now lives on page 230 of drivethrurpg and I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

The long answer is that they’re all doomed to fail because they’re trying to turn a process of individual, creative expression into a rules-based procedure and mechanically involved system in a multiplayer game. Invariably it turns into a one-on-one session between the GM and the one player who wants to use the crafting system while the rest of the table sit on their thumbs.

I have played/read through 100s of games over the last 50 years, and all TTRPG crafting systems basically suck with one caveat, 'Weird Science ' creation systems tend to suck less (except for TORG's, of course, which is a massive dumpster fire). The ones that have sucked the least are one's like Castle Falkenstein or even Space 1889 1st edition. They went more freeform rather than rigid structure.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Gray Ghost posted:

Has anyone who backed it played around with the Broken Weave PDFs yet? It’s an interesting take on D&D 5e as it removes the spell list and Bonus Actions while using a lot of their Uncharted Journey and Lifepath supplements to shore up the Exploration mechanics. I really want to run a session of it soon.

I've gotten it, but not given it a proper read yet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got my copy of Deathmatch Island, game looks fun even if I have a hard time getting how to run the skill checks/encounters.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got my copy of Deathmatch Island, game looks fun even if I have a hard time getting how to run the skill checks/encounters.

“Everybody rolls” is a big shift in mindset, but it works well in Agon so I have high hopes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I liked Shadowrun's magical crafting system from Second edition. You want to build a magical focus? It requires these items based on a a dice roll that all looks like nifty bits of lore or adventure hooks. The actual crafting is just time spent and skill rolls.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I found the youtube live link and it's literally 10 hours of gameplay with no captions.

So,

Countblanc posted:

hopefully someone bilingual will write up a summary after a while

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

I've been thinking about crafting the last day or so and I think you've hit on one big reason that I very much agree with, but I think there's also a second one.

Most all these RPGs don't require players to engage with a crafting system, which means they have to be able to get their equipment some other way. Like as loot or by buying it or whatever. That means an optional crafting path is in competition with the other option and it is probably very difficult, maybe impossible, to balance that exactly. If Leigh gets their magic sword by finding it in a chest guarded by a gargoyle but Bree gets their magic sword by building it in a shop in town, did Bree get to take less risk or spend less resources? Or maybe Bree had to spend a year of off time swordcrafting while Leigh got their sword after two days travel and a couple hours of exploration. Feels bad for Bree to have to wait? But how long, exactly, should Bree have to spend to "balance" the danger Leigh was exposed to?

These equivalences aren't really equivalent. I've seen many different ways to try to square this circle: maybe Bree needs pieces of monsters to build that sword, but then that's still more effort than Leigh... maybe Leigh's sword just isn't as good as Bree's, but then the party may decide to just not go on adventures because crafting is strictly better. How many monsters exactly equals an expenditure of party off-time?

What a crafting system needs to do is reward the players for engaging with the game systems that are actually fun to engage with, let them get the stuff they need to do the fun things, and not replace the fun things.

I suspect that means a crafting system is good for a game setting and system where it's OK for crafting to be completely mandatory, and also occur in the offtime off-screen between-sessions game. By being mandatory, you can remove the tension between finding better stuff vs. making better stuff by always or nearly always having the stuff you make be the best.

That doesn't automatically make the crafting good mind you. It could still be tedious or simplistic or whatever. But I think it might be a requirement for it to be good.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I would put it another way: Why does your crafting system have to be about making the things that help players increase their numbers? If it's about how you get plot mcguffins instead, then only one player has to engage with the system but the whole party gets to have fun getting all the different rare items that go into crafting the thing they need to do plot stuff.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I like the idea of crafting systems giving players more choices.
Instead of finding the Flaming Sword of Doom in the dragon's horde, they get the dragon's flaming heart which they can then chose to use to craft the Flaming Sword of Doom, or the Axe of Dooming Flame or the Staff of Flaming Doom.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In that case it's not really the crafting, it's the choices. It wouldn't matter if you crafted it yourself, or gave it to the guy with the exclamation point over his head that then offers you one of those three things as your reward.

Which is fine of course! But you don't need a complex crafting system to do that. It can literally be "with a dragon's flaming heart, you can forge one of these three magic weapons. It also costs 200 gold pieces and takes a long weekend."

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Leperflesh posted:

In that case it's not really the crafting, it's the choices. It wouldn't matter if you crafted it yourself, or gave it to the guy with the exclamation point over his head that then offers you one of those three things as your reward.

Which is fine of course! But you don't need a complex crafting system to do that. It can literally be "with a dragon's flaming heart, you can forge one of these three magic weapons. It also costs 200 gold pieces and takes a long weekend."

Rights, that's what I mean, Crafting as a system of choice, it doesn't matter if it's the player hammering the component into the final result or if they just throw it into a magic box and the results come out.
I think it was 3.5e or PF1e that let you destroy magic items to get "magicium" or some such that you could then use as a component to make new magic items, kinda like a trade in system. That's the type of "crafting" I think can be valuable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

D&D 4e has Residuum or some poo poo like that too IIRC. It's a net loss of value and I don't remember anyone engaging with that system, because it's still much more costly than just receiving your items via adventuring, which every adventure did. But it was there!

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Roll to craft

Nice work! You made a shirt.

Unless the whole game is gathering materials and carefully crafting, I don’t see how it’d be any more complicated than that.

Video games complicating tabletop games just seems silly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Seems like you'd want to look at the thing you want crafting to do and build from there, but this is of course the lies of the Devil to consider.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My RPG crafting story is a guy in D&D wanting to make a katana at a blacksmith shop for no reason, in about an hour. I pushed back on this for some reason as the GM (the reason is I was 16) and he argued that he had gone to Japan and made a katana there and it only took an hour.

In retrospect I don't know why I gave a poo poo and should've just been like "sure whatever you have a longsword just like the one you already had" but also I shouldn't have played with that guy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cool Dad posted:

My RPG crafting story is a guy in D&D wanting to make a katana at a blacksmith shop for no reason, in about an hour. I pushed back on this for some reason as the GM (the reason is I was 16) and he argued that he had gone to Japan and made a katana there and it only took an hour.

In retrospect I don't know why I gave a poo poo and should've just been like "sure whatever you have a longsword just like the one you already had" but also I shouldn't have played with that guy.
Objection, as a curved sword with a single edge, katanae should use scimitar rules.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It was 2e I don't think scimitars were in the PHB but also I'm not going to check.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Having done some blacksmithing myself, I would welcome the opportunity to completely derail a game session with my "well actually" detailed discussion of metallurgy, smelting, forging, the difference between crucible steel and pattern-welded steel, heat treatment techniques, and the proportion of a weaponsmith's time spent actually smithing vs. all the other poo poo

but since that'd ruin things at the table the right answer would be "gently caress off gerry, you don't get a free katana, don't try to snow me with that bullshit" because there's no way this is the first or only time gerry has tried this poo poo and if we don't lock it down now it's never gonna stop

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Leperflesh posted:

I've been thinking about crafting the last day or so and I think you've hit on one big reason that I very much agree with, but I think there's also a second one.

Most all these RPGs don't require players to engage with a crafting system, which means they have to be able to get their equipment some other way. Like as loot or by buying it or whatever. That means an optional crafting path is in competition with the other option and it is probably very difficult, maybe impossible, to balance that exactly. If Leigh gets their magic sword by finding it in a chest guarded by a gargoyle but Bree gets their magic sword by building it in a shop in town, did Bree get to take less risk or spend less resources? Or maybe Bree had to spend a year of off time swordcrafting while Leigh got their sword after two days travel and a couple hours of exploration. Feels bad for Bree to have to wait? But how long, exactly, should Bree have to spend to "balance" the danger Leigh was exposed to?

These equivalences aren't really equivalent. I've seen many different ways to try to square this circle: maybe Bree needs pieces of monsters to build that sword, but then that's still more effort than Leigh... maybe Leigh's sword just isn't as good as Bree's, but then the party may decide to just not go on adventures because crafting is strictly better. How many monsters exactly equals an expenditure of party off-time?

What a crafting system needs to do is reward the players for engaging with the game systems that are actually fun to engage with, let them get the stuff they need to do the fun things, and not replace the fun things.

I suspect that means a crafting system is good for a game setting and system where it's OK for crafting to be completely mandatory, and also occur in the offtime off-screen between-sessions game. By being mandatory, you can remove the tension between finding better stuff vs. making better stuff by always or nearly always having the stuff you make be the best.

That doesn't automatically make the crafting good mind you. It could still be tedious or simplistic or whatever. But I think it might be a requirement for it to be good.
In addition to this fine thinking, it's important to remember that in MMORPGs crafting is generally a huge part of the timesink cycle: running instances over and over to get mats &/or recipes, which are used to craft gear required to repeatedly run more difficult instances/raid bosses.

This is of course not an experience that should be carried over to the tabletop.

What would also suck is an adventure to get the stuff needed to craft a +4 dagger of nutshots for the rogue, and the rest of the party not getting jack out of it.

I can see crafting fitting in with a variety of "gear-level-ups": Aelthwynn replaces her long sword +2 with a long sword +3 the party found, Baerth uses an impossibly fine grindstone to sharpen his battle axe from +2 to +3, Corwid uses the lamia nails and gorgon blood (as well as the residuum from the long sword +2) from the last adventure as reagents to increase the puissance of his wizard's staff to a +3 implement, and Durndan has become more attuned to his ancestral warhammer, passed down from his father and his father before him (so it now performs as a +3 warhammer). So long as it's no more onerous than stumbling across a weapon of equivalent power, crafting should be an alternative way to get better gear in those games that demand gear improvement.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crafting in Fragged Empire is just a fluff aspect of the normal gear and item acquisition system and a fully integrated portion of character progression.

It's the same system as buying new gear, just using different skills for your acquisition check.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also progressing your gear, vehicles, assets etc. in Fragged is very simple because everything has a listed cost in Resources, Influence, Knowledge (Research), or just a Spare Time Point acq. roll so you can either afford the upgrade or you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I was wondering when somebody was going to bring up Fragged, I would have but I'm not 100% on how it works.