Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, if you attempt a skill and roll a 6, you can learn the skill. You could absolutely use that to be like a delayed randomized chargen. Start with no known skills, then see which things you roll 6s on to see what your character is good at.

The modification I would make for this to really work well as a core chargen mechanic is that I'd let the players get creative and come up with powerful skills a limited number of times (once per level maybe), and to try to tie new powers in with previously established powers to make a thematic character.

The usual rule: "I'm going to try and watch this guy when he enters the door code and see if I can catch the numbers. I don't have any skill for that, so I'll just roll unskilled. Oh, a 6! I can learn a new skill. Maybe something about perception or maybe something about stealth or being inconspicuous so I can get a good angle without being caught staring."

Getting creative: "The guy carefully puts his hand around the pad so nobody can see the code, but suddenly I'm seeing right through it. Turns out I've got x-ray vision!"
A d6 might not be granular enough but you could have new use of old power vs new power vs new power source. So an OK "new skill roll" means it's expanding the scope of an old power (what, you think a reporter doesn't know how to dust for prints?), a good roll means a new power (wow, my alien heritage comes with x-ray vision!) while an amazing roll means a whole new power source or retcon (well Lois, there wasn't a lot to do as a teen in Kansas that /wasn't/ white hat hacking)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

You want a system where builds aren't really a thing. You want isolated powers that just work (tm) so random-rolling the "wrong" one doesn't leave you with a useless skill that's a waste of a turn every time you use it. Then the being clever is working out play order.

You're basically looking for something like D&D 4E but with the ability scores and feats ripped out, or the Sentinels RPG with progression.

Some manner of deckbuilder could also work? Make up a bunch of basic cards and have a bunch of overpowered cards that you hand out to add alongside player chosen adds. That would give the kind of mystery unlock where it's not just about earning the card, it's also about drawing it. Maybe a rule where if you've played a card a couple of times you get some downpowered dupes because now it's just a thing you do but sometimes you still draw the Go All Out version.

OK this has legs I think.

Modify Spectacular power card draws?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Something between what gloomhaven does, critical effects deck, but with Legacy elements. Maybe it doesn't have to be the first time you use it but you can only add certain kinds of extra twist one time per power.

In other stuff I've been catching up slowly on the game stories thread and learned about Unknown Armies.

I bought the first book for the third edition, this game is awesome! I bought the rest and the lore fluff is also awesome. Is anyone still actually playing this?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 29, 2024

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Harold Fjord posted:

In other stuff I've been catching up slowly on the game stories thread and learned about Unknown Armies.

I bought the first book for the third edition, this game is awesome! I bought the rest and the lore fluff is also awesome. Is anyone still actually playing this?
UA3 is my favorite game. I believe it's been abandoned by Atlas Games since about 2020. There's a small active community still producing books through Statosphere, which is the game's drivethruRPG portal.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Splicer posted:

A d6 might not be granular enough but you could have new use of old power vs new power vs new power source. So an OK "new skill roll" means it's expanding the scope of an old power (what, you think a reporter doesn't know how to dust for prints?), a good roll means a new power (wow, my alien heritage comes with x-ray vision!) while an amazing roll means a whole new power source or retcon (well Lois, there wasn't a lot to do as a teen in Kansas that /wasn't/ white hat hacking)

My reaction when hearing "a d6 might not be granular enough" is always "just roll another d6." If you get a 6 and choose to learn, roll another die and 1-3 means new regular skill or expanded existing power, 4-5 new power, 6 new power source.

I love my d6s, d66 tables, etc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Battletech manages a frightening and terrible amount of granularity with just a handful of d6's and a dream (and a binder full of mech sheets)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"dee sixes"?? oh, you mean dice???

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Chance Cubes.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Doc Hawkins posted:

"dee sixes"?? oh, you mean dice???

That actually just came up. Just had our second IRL session this weekend. First was a year ago for 13th Age, second was Wildsea.

Me in Discord: “You just need d6s, but I can bring some for people.”

When we show up, our host, with his second IRL game: “Oh, you mean DICE”

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

did you know?

quote:

In the world of the Deryni (based on the fantasy novels by Katherine Kurtz), Deryni mages use "ward cubes" to aid in performing magic. Ward cubes are small cubes of contrasting colors (four each of black and white) that aid in focusing Deryni powers. During times of persecution, Deryni mages disguise their ward cubes as dice to escape detection.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

My reaction when hearing "a d6 might not be granular enough" is always "just roll another d6." If you get a 6 and choose to learn, roll another die and 1-3 means new regular skill or expanded existing power, 4-5 new power, 6 new power source.

I love my d6s, d66 tables, etc.
I tend not to like followup rolls because there's a bit of a "confirming your crit" feel. Not entirely obviously (a 6 then 1 is still better than a 5) but rolling the meh crit is also a bad feel.

So obviously you switch to a 2d6 system with 10 11 and 12 getting you new use, new power, and new power source respectively.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Splicer posted:

I tend not to like followup rolls because there's a bit of a "confirming your crit" feel. Not entirely obviously (a 6 then 1 is still better than a 5) but rolling the meh crit is also a bad feel.

So obviously you switch to a 2d6 system with 10 11 and 12 getting you new use, new power, and new power source respectively.

I liked 7th Sea first editions pop mechanic where you’re so stylish and swashin the buckles that you just keep going.

Alternatives for ghost die and Gandalf die in their respective games.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Doc Hawkins posted:

did you know?
lmao if your magic system isn't based around components from a common game played across your whole society

hm. mousetrap…

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Looked a ways back and didn't see any threads relevant to it, so: Has anyone played Carnevale, the skirmish game TTCombat sells? A local guy wants to do some demo games with stuff he picked up at a convention, and I know nothing about it except "the miniatures are mostly nice" and "wow they sure did romani stereotypes for that one team". I offered to play, up for trying new things and all, just trying to get an idea what I'm getting into. Frankly, it looks like low budget Malifaux, which is not a deal breaker (we had a Malifaux community at one of the shops that closed due to terrible management, but I never got to actually play it there).

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I have nothing intelligent to say about Carnevale, but If you're choosing a TTCombat game based on the miniatures being cool it doesn't get any better than Rumbleslam.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

mellonbread posted:

I have nothing intelligent to say about Carnevale, but If you're choosing a TTCombat game based on the miniatures being cool it doesn't get any better than Rumbleslam.

I'm not choosing the game. The guy who's already bought in is going to do demo games, with his own miniatures, to try and get people into it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mellonbread posted:

I'm going to have to look into this purely on the strength of the fungus guys alone. Fantastic figs.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I'm going to have to look into this purely on the strength of the fungus guys alone. Fantastic figs.
They had a whole booth at Adepticon. I didn't buy anything because I wanted to do a painting tutorial and see if I even enjoyed it before I started collecting piles of figures. Now I wish I'd loaded up. Shipping from the UK is murder unless you buy 100£ of stuff, and all the resellers are out of the sets I want. ebay has the goods but I'm always wary about buying poo poo there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mellonbread posted:

Love that ork selling fungi out of his trenchcoat. :orks101:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just a quick thing, I am looking for cool RPG games to pick up for my Birthday present. I was going to be picking up Heart but it is currently sold out. I've already got Spire, but was wondering if there was anything people could recommend?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Josef bugman posted:

Just a quick thing, I am looking for cool RPG games to pick up for my Birthday present. I was going to be picking up Heart but it is currently sold out. I've already got Spire, but was wondering if there was anything people could recommend?

Looks like IPR is getting down to the last dozen or so copies of the limited edition of Glitch.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Looks like IPR is getting down to the last dozen or so copies of the limited edition of Glitch.

I feel kind of guilty for having ordered a second copy of Glitch with the Far Roofs kickstarter, but not *that* guilty. It's the best game book I will ever own. (Spire and Heart are pretty close contenders.)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I must admit I am not the biggest fan of Jenna Moran, sorry.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Josef bugman posted:

Wildsea

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wildsea slaps, is a gorgeous book, is a fun read brimming with amazing ideas, and is a very usable book.

Timely to mention, My First Dungeon just kicked off their new season of actual play using Wildsea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn3Ucr0dnRo

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Josef bugman posted:

That just had an adventure book crowdfunded, which included a reprint of Heart with errata and some other minor edits - you might be able to late pledge, still.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I know I've complained about it before, but I am astounded at how loving atrocious the new Drivethrurpg redesign is. I've clicked the button in "account settings" to opt out and manually edited the cookie that's supposed to temporarily lock you into the old layout, and it still redirects me every time I click a link or try to open a second tab. Which:

• Has broken every bookmark I had, thanks to the redirect
• Deletes things from my cart at random
Removes all discounts every time it switches - which, reminder, it does every time I click a link to redeem a code
• Literally does not work if I try to proceed to checkout in the "new" design
• Apparently is also randomly swapping people's libraries, so one day they just have access to someone else's account now

I know creators have mentioned Itch pays better with way less bullshit; if this is any indication of what's to come, I'm probably never backing anything that uses DTRPG again.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Wildsea slaps, is a gorgeous book, is a fun read brimming with amazing ideas, and is a very usable book.

No VTT support atm, though, as far as I know.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Megazver posted:

No VTT support atm, though, as far as I know.

My understanding is the Foundry module is fantastic, but I haven't used it.

My group is using the community-created Google Sheet which is robust (has all the rules, aspects, resources, everything from both the core book and the expansion Storm and Root), which along with a Discord dice bot and some mood boards has been more than sufficient for digital play.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

That just had an adventure book crowdfunded, which included a reprint of Heart with errata and some other minor edits - you might be able to late pledge, still.

I had a check, and will be looking into it, but the book reprinting till October.

Thank you for the wildsea recommendations folks! Will have a little look tonight!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 1, 2024

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Did you know that for the first time ever a company is trying to monetise D&D.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2024/may/03/dungeons-and-dragons-wizards-of-the-coast

Can you imagine it. The purity of the D&D brand sullied by cash grabs and tie in products. My god, what have they done.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"the noble pastime of D&D is one where each group makes their own story" I type while every single D&D group plays Curse of Strahd

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
listen, strahd is very cursed and we have to help him

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Maybe we’ll get a reprint of the D&D big wheel. Dont ruin this for me.

https://2warpstoneptune.com/2015/01/20/dungeons-dragons-power-cycle-coleco-1984/

Or the slide puzzles:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1457040066...emis&media=COPY

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
We all know what I'm after:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Fashion Useful
Projects
Featuring
The Famous
Fantasy Figures

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
drat they really did just license for everything

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I've honestly turned around on the wood burning kit. Making your own dice towers and tokens and notes holders and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

We all know what I'm after:

I'd like to run it but it's a pretty high level dungeon. A beholder as soon as you get through the front door, drat.