Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I find d&d 5e to be bland and inoffensive, i don't think it's too much of a disaster, i just wish it hadn't eaten up most of the streaming boom

But then i'm kind of a traveller grog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

quote:

Fria Ligen's licensed Alien RPG does an amazing job of mechanically translating the tension and overall atmosphere of the franchise into RPG format.

Yeah, for what it's worth, to hit the vibe they're trying to hit, very tense encounters where instead of creeping insanity it's stress making everyone do things, it works very well. Stress being used to juice skill rolls but cranking up the tension for everyone as it pushes them toward going nuts is great for the fiction. The idea is basically you can add stress dice to skill rolls(and you end up having to), and one of the results in the special stress dice makes a character go crazy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think D&D is definitely one of the easiest games to get into, and part of that is its support, along with its basic design. If i'm asked about someone who's new to DMing, i'd heartily recommend D&D because there's lots and lots of published material to run- it doesn't ask the table to be particularly good at improv, it handles larger tables without too much trouble. You lose a lot to do that(I prefer other systems for just about anything d&d can do), but I can't deny the advantages of D&D and its market position to a newcomer to the game type.

Lancer's great, but i highly doubt a newfangled DM is going to know what to make of a highly complex tactical subgame combined with PBTA not-tactical stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I do like the latest edition of Travller for sci-fi stuff if you're okay with a character that might not be exactly what you want(and will be at least middle-aged).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LatwPIAT posted:

You're correct on that. It's mostly tables, because charts are good at representing overall patterns in information for a surface-level understanding and, say, quickly telling which bar graph is higher and which are very small compare to the other bars, but bad for reading out precise information.

That said, RPGs should use more tables and charts, because visual representations of information can greatly help understanding.

Yeah, when you're trying to categorize a lot of things, tables are really good for that- as someone with a lot of familiarity with grog games, a table is a really good way to summarize the differences between, say, different kinds of units, even if the items are like "can overrun" or "can move during the exploitation phase" with a check mark or X because i like having that in visual form rather than having to dig through rules for the implication.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hyphz posted:

They try, but it has to be done very carefully to avoid replacing the status quo with one that is dependent on supers.

Like, if a super can end world hunger, that sounds good at the first step but then you have to ask how Powerman can not be a dictator when a continent starves if he just flies away, or how anyone can argue that genetic differences are insignificent when it's his unique mutations that put him in that position. Doubly so if it's an Incredibles type setting where being a super is hereditory.

Yeah, honestly, trying to get into the realistic implications of superheroes is one of the story routes that i've gotten a little bit weary of. There is something in those stories for people of a lot of political stripes to make in interpretation and i don't think you can easily say 'superheroes are fash' vs 'superheroes are lefty stories'.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well, sort of. a significant portion of Invincible is still about honorable G-men doing what must be done to defend the planet. there are some late-run twists that add a little bit of a wrinkle but even then it's a comic with an awkward attitude towards government -- it's like at some point they realized "oh it's kind of weird if this hero specifically defined by his willingness to violently resist imperialism is comfortable having a working relationship with the loving CIA" but weren't willing to go any further than "huh, this one creepy-looking director is morally compromised on an individual level"

e: to tie it back to the original conversation, what i'm saying is that a change in scope doesn't actually make up for a lack of imagination or for over-restrictive editorial oversight, and Invincible, if anything, is proof of that

Honestly, the problem is, if there are people like that running around in the world, you'd be justifying the CIA just to be some kind of check on their power.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Andrast posted:

i like it when the superhero punches the supervillain

indeed, sometimes, when you wanna make geopolitical statements, it's better not to choose the undie pants man genre

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The problem with using superhero stories to make these critiques is that their existence creates a heightened threat- a heightened reality that often justifies the CIA, security state, etc much moreso than the situation IRL. Part of the argument against the War on Terror was that Terror was a fairly minimal threat compared to the resources used to combat it, even on the terms that the War on Terror implies. If there are in fact supervillains who can kill millions, it undercuts that argument. Intense government surveillance and intelligence activity make a lot more sense when you construct a situation where any rando might end up having the power to blow up Chicago.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't mind lists of guns in something like gurps, honestly, it's not that big a deal but it's nice if you're into that. It does help that gurps has a bit more mechanical support for gun stuff than other games, so some things end up mattering a bit, though, yes, if i let you go through the list in a 1930s game, if you were being strictly optimal, you'd choose a browning hi-power pistol.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so few players seem willing to read books and learn rules through study that i'm sympathetic to anyone who doesn't bother making their books function as tutorials

not making your books function as reference documents is just a disservice to everyone, though

This dilemma is actually a big time one in the cardboard wargame part of trad games and most rulebooks do tend to go through the double-as-tutorial approach. There are notable exceptions, like Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg/Dai Senso, which is excellent for reference, but horrifyingly bad as a read-through tutorial. Most wargames include a playbook(often the part you can't grab off the internet) that has some tutorial playthroughs, historical content, and designer notes, as well as scenarios, sometimes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yeah, these are fairly similar to my feelings on the system, i would still probably play Burning Wheel if someone asked me to, but I also felt Beliefs tended to require way too much individual PC autonomy to really make work, because of how Crane explains how to use them. I do appreciate that they're kind of force feeding you the good RPG habit of having your character have something they really want to be doing, but I think it's a bit too rigid for that purpose. And generally speaking, in most campaigns, you can't really challenge everyone's beliefs at all times at a table- someone will get the spotlight for their beliefs, and the others will generally have to be in support of that. I think it's actually not too bad for 1-1 games though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Coolness Averted posted:

My Heart game imploded tonight. I'll post a more in depth post mortem of the Heart specific stuff in The Spire Thread tomorrow, now that it's at least not gonna be me triple posting in a dead thread.
I figured I'd talk more about the general game and group stuff in the chat thread too. The campaign was already kinda shaky, as I've mentioned before Heart really wasn't the kind of game my group wanted. I wanted to run it, it was another player's jam, but two others really wanted a d&d type game where they don't do as much narrative wise, and a final player who had only played d&d-style games and a Spire campaign I ran liked the idea of success with complications and shared narratives, but wasn't as into a game where the PCs have it so hardscrabble.

The players lost a fight that was optional, against an avatar of unreality known as an angel and as I transitioned to waking up to the consequences I couldn't get anyone to contribute or add story stuff and visuals, which has been a constant problem when not on rails with them. At that point a player suggested we take a 10 minute break, so we did, and that player spent the break laying out that he had crunched the math and just in general felt disheartened, since he felt mathematically more likely to fail rolls than succeed, and that "Everything is just a slow inevitable march towards failure, so it's hard to stay engaged."
The game imploded but like the group is fine, we just spent the remaining time in the session talking about what was and wasn't working and decided I'd run a game of Scum and Villainy for them instead since it supports:
A. Limited Prep
B. Episodic play/flexibility about who shows up to play
C. Shared narrative elements,
D. Degrees of success/complications
E. Low Crunch
Blades was suggested, but I opted for Scum and Villainy as an alternative, since a friend in our group has been running an absolutely amazing and high effort Blades game that it's really intimidating to try and follow. I'm a little bummed the game ended on that note, but I also absolutely prefer a player stepping up to say when stuff isn't working for them. Especially since the one who stepped up was one of the only ones consistently pushing the story forward. What's funny is a player specifically mentioned that it felt like the game was on rails that he couldn't gauge, while I felt the game had a sputtering problem specifically because there were no rails, and things would meander until I started pushing in a direction or saying "Ok so here's the 3 options I'd suggest if you don't have something you'd like to do/a way to explain moving towards that goal."

Good post- yeah, i can see how people kinda have trouble with it. Fiction-first games really don't work, IMO, if people aren't ok with complications coming up a lot, because the lack of crunch and engagement on the crunch level means there's not that interesting a feeling if things go off without a hitch, since it just doesn't feel earned. That's in addition to people just kinda struggling to think beyond strict identification with their character(I had a traveller game blow up for that, a story i'll post.. sometime).

Also my hot take is that pretty much everybody will tell you they want a sandbox, but few people really do when the rubber hits the road because it asks a lot more of the players to bring direction.

I'm finding Band of Blades to be one of the best blades-ish games because you switch between characters a lot- you're more likely to accept their failures and even death, because it's war, and you're not this character forever. It's vital that players use the resources, though- get stressed out, take the harm, traumas, etc.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 11, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CitizenKeen posted:

I've been noodling about porting Icon to supers, and how would you do really tactical supers, and I've been struggling to think about how to handle mobility - really tactical games don't usually afford the mobility common in comic books. I had the idea last night in a fever dream to handle it like stages in a fighting game, and your post just made it click. Thank you, this is awesome.

The 80s approach to supers was very tactical and fine-grained, very much not icon, but it was weird, often having things like Starfleet Battles-style initiatives so that, for example, you could make the Flash and he really would punch 16 times per second, rather than trying to work that into some kind of abstract thing. It came with an enormous amount of rules overhead, though, like pretty much everything else crunchy and 80s.

GURPS came from those old superhero systems which, to try to handle the wide breadth of superheroes made the accountancy-style char creation where characters are just bundles of things you can spend points on various aspects of and beleagured game designers try to point out an ice ray that comes from your hands as opposed to your eyes.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Hero system is a beautiful attempt at a rules-as-physics engine superhero game. It's also often a proof that people don't enjoy playing such games.

It's a tough design challenge as an actual crunchy game. The alternatives tend to be systems where an assault rifle and lasers from your eyes do the same thing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I can speak to GURPS in this regard but basically once you get to the stuff from High-Tech(which is basically TL5+, where TL5 is the 1800s), combats are very much about taking advantage of situations where you go first and the enemies have a surprise round or two and you just mow everyone down because GURPS guns are deadly- that's basically tactics there. In fact, the Tactics skill is primarily used to start a battle in the right place, because movement in that system is punishing(move is something you do instead of attack, in most circumstances all you get is a step if you want to do anything else).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Warhams are serious business.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dwarf74 posted:

I think that's handled fairly gracefully by various 'flanking' rules - you don't need to know what direction your fight man is facing to know they can't face two things 180° apart.

For unit-scale wargaming, yeah, it makes a lot more sense. For any kind of individual combat, though, like what you see in nearly any rpg, you've got to embrace the ambiguity.

This is precisely how Great Campaigns of the American Civil War handles flanking- depending on the amount of 'covered hexes'(by units that are at least 1/4 of the manpower of the target) around the target unit, a flanking bonus from +1 to +4 is applied. It is possible for a unit to actually refuse flanks, which halves the flanking bonus, but also gives a minimum flanking bonus to anyone who attacks it.

The magnitude of the flanking bonus at maximum is equivalent to having 5:1 manpower odds.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'd do heroes in gurps but GURPS is super crunchy, and i'd probably require players to design a 'normal human', then have another block of points for power stuff to keep people from making savants.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
GURPS' core is already 2 books and it works fine, yeah.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey all, does anyone else recall the Firaxis dev team saying they workshopped their original XCOM as a.board game and made sure that was good before they started building the actual PC game? I swear that was a talking point back when the game was new. Anyway, has anything ever come out about the specifics of it's rules? AFAIK the actual XCOM board game is an abstraction of the strategic layer?

They do workshop a lot of things as board games but the x-com board game is absolutely nothing like it. I doubt you'll find the rules to what they did any time soon. The XCOM board game is a somewhat re-themed space alert type deal.

Firaxis has hired a LOT of board game designers. They had the person who designed Twilight Struggle do a lot of work on both XCOMs, and the person who designed Here I Stand do some work on Civ.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 17, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, i vastly prefer VASSAL over TTS when i can use it because it is distinctly not trying to be a 3d space and that has some huge advantages.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
At least the industry thread has an opportunity to talk about other things than 'x did a bad thing' which helps keep it somewhat fresh. I thought both the paid DM and D&D setting sales posts had some good content, more interesting than the Star Frontiers nazi thing which screamed 'give me those precious hateclicks'.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly, i've found that people flake really often in online things, particularly if they don't know you, and it's a fact of life. If you recruit six people, you'll probably get 3 at most, and you have to keep churning and churning.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm kinda in favor of how GURPS does melee combat but playing a character with a high skill and taking advantage of it requires a lot of system mastery because having high weapon skill means you can comfortably spend it for the myriad attack options on offer, many of which are actually useful in one situation or another. It doesn't do a great job of signposting what the advantages and disadvantages of many of its mechanics are.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
D&D 3.5, 4, 5
Starfinder
Traveller (Mongoose 2e)
Blades in the Dark
Band of Blades
Burning Wheel
GURPS
Ars Magica
Shadowrun
Star ORE
FFG Star Wars
LANCER
Reign

Are the ones i know off the top of my head. Of these, I found GURPS to be the best, as once i really got it, i felt the system is really ideal for anything trying to simulate. I do respect Band of Blades a lot for what it's doing, even if the military theme tends to run against its very narrativey mechanics.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The traveller character gen will generally give you some kind of backstory, though you won't necessarily get what you want in terms of what your character can do skill-wise.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Doctor Zaius posted:

I'd argue that Law-Chaos is coherent, but only in the context of the old Moorcock one-axis stuff. Of course, it was in service of 'lawful civilization is the only bastion of goodness against the chaotic hordes of the Other' but it was coherent.

Yeah, when it's the only thing, it's basically "Good" and "Bad" and just a simple shorthand(just like other abstractions like Armor Class) for a game that had the design sensibilities of a boardgame. Trying to describe morality with a two-axis graph is always going to be insufficient.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Chakan posted:

XCOM 2 does a good job of working through both of those issues, pods feel more fluid and you don’t conga line around like in 1 (because you usually start stealted) & most mission types have degrees of success or secondary objectives that often pay out as good or better than the primary reward depending on your campaign status.

Pods were basically a solution to the original x-com's design problem where aliens were scattered and acted entirely individually. Since the AI was so rudimentary, this generally resulted in a bunch of encounters with one alien at a time that you just pounded easily. With pods, now you can ensure, it's always a firefight- it's a fairly simple way of having aliens work together as squads without having to give then an enormously complicated non-combat movement AI.

2 definitely improved pods over 1, eliminating the teleportation for the most part, but yeah, pods are just kind of an important part of that paradigm- the same way you'd never make an enemy encounter the way aliens worked in old-com.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Colonel Cool posted:

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters is the best x-com ripoff I've seen made so far and something interesting I thought it did is when you trigger an enemy pod while not already in combat it refreshes all your squad's action points to full. It really helps fight against the incentive to slowly creep your squad across the map a half move at a time so you don't get caught out in the open with no moves left.

And on a similar note, when finishing combat it also refreshes your action points to full and reloads your weapons. Which is just nice from a saving time doing busywork standpoint.

Yeah, the challenge with pods is basically, you don't want to reward the player too much for stumbling on someone- that's how old-com worked. Once you realize that the active turn is still far superior in old-com, even with the reaction fire that just requires 'do nothing', you just hold one turn and then rush out on turn 2 and hit the enemies you stumble upon like a shooting gallery. At that point the only threat is enemies stumbling on you and using their 'squad sight' to hit you on their turn.

But then you don't want to make it so you feel awful about activating a pod at the end of your turn and then have the AI get to make a move before you've had a chance to respond. It's funny how much work goes into making the latter just not happen any more in modern design.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
For reference, making the Hulk in GURPS with full fidelity would definitely be more complicated than Iron Man, though you could build both the same way if you wanted to. In game, Stark would probably have a much more complicated sheet overall(if I had Hulk in GURPS, i'd probably just give them two sheets- one for Hulk, one for Banner so the alternate form is easy to understand).

Superheroes are by far the most complicated characters to make in GURPS. Even fantasy wizards can usually be done at an okay level with GURPS Magic's overall system and be somewhat simple.

I actually kinda do prefer characters in that kind of game playing mechanically differently rather than just having slightly different names on their "do superhero thing" action roll.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

trapstar posted:

Always thought it would be fun to try and make Homelander in GURPS

He'd actually be pretty easy. In a lot of ways, his being a goober other than being basically superman makes him way easier to make- the 'i'm actually a genius, too with x skills' aspect of a lot of superheroes means you have to have a huge skill list but Homelander can be built mostly with his powers and a fairly moderate skill list.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Personally, I just play a game that's actually mechanically developed, like GURPS and make adjustments to fit the campaign.

But, honestly, i think a lot of people into d&d and reskinning into other things do it because they're at a high level of mechanical familiarity and once they're past that stage it's a lot easier to experiment in the space than to learn a whole new language(another system).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Doctor Zaius posted:

My take on this is more 'why use a very crunchy combat system for a game where combat is a fail state'. Like yeah you could probably tweak the 4e numbers to the point where combat's sufficiently rocket-tag-y for that sort of OSR play but it's still a very combat mechanic heavy system for a mode of play that frankly isn't interested in combat.

Yeah, i'd rather play it in a system made for it, either a light, breezy experience where the players are running playing pieces(OSR) or a more developed skill-based game(GURPS). If fighting isn't the main thing, I don't think 4e has a lot to recommend it, other than 'it's d&d'.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, diplomacy is fairly close to an entirely interpersonal game- there's a couple of tactical considerations but overall it's dependent on player politics- almost its purest expression. I think that's somewhat why having an AI that can play it is somewhat remarkable.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I thought it was pretty funny.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mellonbread posted:

Hell yeah.

Like two peas in a pod.

Coming at it from the opposite angle, I have also encountered people who viewed any attempt to redirect them toward better games as gatekeeping. They didn't want to play some rinky dink indie product, they wanted to play The World's Most Popular Role Playing Game. Anyone recommending anything else was trying to exclude them from the big leagues.

I've seen stupid people on the internet who've said stuff like that but getting extremely smug about the superiority of your specific narrative-first game about a very specific thing is exactly why that joke was funny as poo poo. I don't really think games work on that 'objectively superior' basis that's implied in this kind of statement.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I do genuinely think GURPS would be suitable for Dark Souls- the limitations of low tech in the awkwardness of weapons like bows, crossbows, etc don't really matter so much and the feeling of attack and defense works pretty well for it. It's not going to simulate fat rolling persay but the defensive mechanics do allow a retreating defense.

mellonbread posted:

I'm reminded of the Fat Han build from the old X Wing game. You can get an extra success if you correctly guess how many successes you roll. So you always guess zero, guaranteeing at least one success.

I used to play Fat Han all the time- it was great dropping the damage coming in- just crazy annoying to try to take down.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been playing Pathfinder Kingmaker lately

on a slightly more serious note, going through one of the first long dungeons in the game is a little revelatory in terms of design: there's something like a dozen fights against three or four giant centipedes or giant spiders. And these fights are not particularly difficult when you've got a Barbarian, a Tower Shield Specialist Fighter, and another Fighter - just smack them in the face and move on, but I can't help but think that if the party was a little more caster-heavy, that it would be that much more inconvenient to deal with.

like, roll up to the dungeon with a Witch, a Druid, a Wizard, and maybe a Cleric, in anticipation of "wow these guys are going to be powerhouses later in the game", and you're going to have a crew that doesn't have nearly as much attack bonus, not nearly as much damage-per-hit, not nearly as much AC, and not nearly as much HP (though healing is an option). You may well need to spend spell slots just to deal with a "trash fight", and that's already with Pathfinder giving casters cantrips that can serve as default attack spells (i.e., you wouldn't have such things in D&D 3e).

but we don't like to do this in a tabletop game, because having to break out the initiative order, the mat, and the dice, for a three-round combat that could result in a single hit against a player, a dozen times in one night, that doesn't advance the plot at all, might be regarded as bad gameplay, and with good reason, and so the DM is incentivized, out of practicality, to make fewer combats, but with each individual combat either being that much more difficult, and/or always being relevant to advancing the adventure

except if the combats are few and far between, then that increases the effective power level of a caster, because they get to blow their spell slots on important fights all the time. So we then approach it from the other end, where we consider implementing limits on how often the party can rest, so that we can string a dozen combats together to drain the party's resources, even if the diegetic narrative would suggest that it should be totally possible for the party to rest between such encounters

it's almost like there's a fundamental incompatibility, where if we don't play the game the way it's supposed to, it's going to strain the capability of the design, which then forces us to implement even more houserules upon houserules to try and make up for it

I'm sure these thoughts aren't particularly novel, but it's kinda cool seeing them be made latent

Funnily enough, in a GURPS dungeon crawling game i'm in, we have this problem where one of my characters basically demolishes combat challenges without even breaking a sweat- to the point where the DM really has to amp up the challenge to even threaten to damage him, so 2d6+3 goblins is just like, watch the drow elf landsknecht wipe the floor with everyone with a halberd. Then, when the DM does build fights for him, he will like, fail a fright check and freeze and the party nearly TPKs to a fight made to challenge him, or i'll pick my other character, a wizard, who ends up being the "Q" of the party, basically identifying and explaining the magical items found, while also sometimes going on the journeys.

I'm pondering how i'd manage a different GURPS fantasy game with that in mind- in order to really use combat to drain resources and have it be somewhat common, i'm going to have to find a faster combat mechanism. The tempting alternative is to not worry so much about resource management and just make fights hard, but then i'm probably going to randomly end up killing PCs because GURPS can be that way, especially with players who aren't used to how the system works.

On another note, I think one of the reasons the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy box set failed is that it is a bad introduction to the game. The people making it decided that what everyone wanted from GURPS in the D&D style was that you actually basically start at roughly the capability of a Level 10-12 character in D&D which made the character creation and sheets much more complicated than it should've been. DFRPG already uses templates to get people started without having to go through every option in the Basic Set, but then these templates have a bunch of options that will simply bewilder a new player. Worse, they basically make options that require a lot of understanding of the system to actually use.

For example, in GURPS, the mundane melee fighter with a ton of skill is actually the system mastery class, because you have to know what all the things you can do to modify an attack can do. The above mentioned Dark Elf landsknecht had a Polearm-21 to begin with, which in GURPS terms means you have to roll 3d6 and get under that number to hit the target. Always hitting every time you could possibly hit begins at skill 16, so after that, what you have to do is use the combat options where you penalize your attack roll to do things like hit someone in the vitals, or reduce their defense, or attack twice. It's funny, people make fun of the tactilol stuff in GURPS, but gun combat is much, much simpler to operate in this system. The way rate of fire works makes it so basically your gun skill always has use, even at close range where there's no penalty.

At least now there's some material that has Dungeon Fantasy templates at lower point levels which have much more manageable templates for new players. Right now i'm trying to work out the details of a mechanism that will hopefully make it so goofus fighter with a lot of skill can just roll to hit and have the benefits of hitting by a bunch come out after the attack so it doesn't require much referencing, probably using something similar to automatic fire from guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hypnobeard posted:

Could just use MoS on the roll to allow the player to "buy" stunts after the fact--either directly translate the usual penalty for, say, a called shot into a required MoS or just set up tiers. MoS 2? You get x. MoS 4? You get x and y. MoS 6? X, y, and z. Etc.

It's something i've definitely considered- i was looking for something that would be kinda one-size-fits-all and get rid of the decision-making involved(and also let my skilled fighters feel more badass), but that's also a way to do it. I wish the GURPS discord was more helpful about discussing the implications- it's just, people who mostly think everything is perfect and that i just need to pester my players more to get their turns done quicker.