Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What was the name of the RPG that you played yourself and there were all kinds of weird ways to generate your stats like hold up milk jugs and spin in circles. Also you were a time traveler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Whirling posted:

Time Wizards?

Its Time Lords. Really obtuse game but I remember playing it in the 90s and it was fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Any particular reason we don't have a Roll20 thread? Could be useful. I hate having to dig through reddit and roll20 for answers.

Like here is the question " how do you create a world map that you can put a group token on and then move thay token around to reveal the map"

I figured it out but it took a while.

Here's the answer

Create a player character that is available to all characters, then make a token for that then set its token view distance.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 24, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

It is sorta weird we don't have a VTT thread. I think it could cover all the VTTs, not just Roll20. Would you like to make one? It doesn't need to be a giant effortpost OP, just "tell me about the VTTs and help others with their VTT questions" would be cool and good. IMO.

Yeah sounds good to me. I'll make it. I think Virtual Tabletop, Roll 20 , Fantasy grounds are the ones I can think of

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Okay so Foundry , Owlbear Rodeo, Roll 20 , Fantasy Grounds

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

For what system?

Having tried Foundry, Roll20, and Fantasy Grounds over the years Foundry is better at almost everything, but I mostly play systems that have pretty decent module support (D&D 4E, LANCER, etc.) and benefit a great deal from automation and all the bells and whistles.

Conversely if I just needed a dice roller and a way to get everyone on the same page quickly, I'd probably go back to Roll20 or check out Owlbear.

Yeah I am not super familiar with Foundry. I'll add to the op as I get used it to. I use roll20.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Feel free to post in the thread! I'm just now restarting Roll20 after about 4 to 5 years of not using it and everything is new and different.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll add Alchemy and role

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Sunk cost is real for Vtt. I mean I've spent like several hundred dollars and I know thay I've had to buy the same product twice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drat they really did just license for everything

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

My favorite thing about Tomb of Horror was that it was created in 1976 shortly after DnD started. Like that was Gygax response to his players

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1970s DnD assumed that when you went to go to a dungeon you had dozens of hirelings and other people that would die before you. It was just a different game.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have a few real-life-in-their-50s grogs in my social circle who started playing D&D when it was less than 5 years old and it's incredible how many of them revere Gygax. Look, the guy created an entirely new permutation of gaming and deserves recognition and respect but that doesn't mean he was an actual good game designer! In fact I would argue that he was not, and consistently failed to emulate through mechanics the swords-and-sorcery books that he lovingly references, instead making an expedition game about being a cowardly (by necessity) dungeoneering murderhobo. I've never read a single "classic" fantasy narrative pre-1976 that plays out anything like AD&D/BECMI did, unless you reduce those stories to their absolutely broadest strokes.

His modules are pretty drat good though. Like Vault of the Drow and Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun.

He had a real knack for modules. All weren't great but a lot were.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The whole Against the Giants/Vault of the Drow was amazing.

I'm not a huge fan of Descent into the Depths of the Earth because it's one long dungeon crawl.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

sebmojo posted:

it's commonplace to sneer at tomb of horrors because blah blah killer dungeon, but I really recommend reading it and thinking through what it entails to solve it as a player - it's a lot more clever and fair than it appears on first glance, and the whole thing is like 12 pages long, it's incredibly tightly written.

Yeah it's not particularly unfair unless.you approach it from sheer stupidity.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun is particularly loving great because the player characters basically become indoctrinated into thr cult and perform cult rituals to get treasure

It's the one module where it's like drat why isn't there a follow up to this and there wasn't because he'd left TSR by that point

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I really recommend running some 1e modules, either with 1e (it's quite rules light in a funny kind of way, since most of the rules are so bad you're best advised to disregard them) or with an OSR replacement. They're very fun and it's a nice 'exploring the history of the hobby' activity. I've done tamoachan, saltMarsh, the slavers series, tomb of horrors... all absolute bangers.

Yeah my group that I got just wants to play fifth so I'm running old school stuff in fifth. Fortunately Dmsguild has a Classic Modules Today series where people convert older modules to fifth.

Also there's people who have went through and redid the maps for VTT for a ton of the old modules.

Basically my campaign so far is Ghosts of Salt Marsh , Tales from Yawning Portal, Isle of Dread ( I'm using goodman games ) , Hidden Shrine.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 7, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

DnD has the Dungeon of the Mad Mage that's supposedly level 5 to 20.

Dunno how good it is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I bought a Logitech USB headset for 20 bucks. It works fine.