Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Tosk posted:

What do people think of as "well-written" campaigns? Regardless of system. I think the two I hear most about are Masks of Nyarlathotep and Griffin Mountain, the latter I think for pioneering the idea of a sandbox setting splatbook (I could be wrong, I haven't run it). I haven't read Masks.

Masks is dense with plot and NPCs. I've only run a portion (South America and New York) and it was a lot to keep up with. It was kinda exhausting to run with a lot of jumping around the book during play. The scope of the campaign is awesome though and it has great props. I would probably slim it down if I run it again.

The other one that really stood out, and my favorite thing I've ever ran, was Way of the Wicked. That's an evil campaign for Pathfinder. I ran it in 5e. Turns a lot of tropes around - the PCs at one point run a dungeon that lures in adventurers, they fight paladins and unicorns, they recruit monsters to their side. There are side quests where you play an expendable minion and do missions for your own PCs (ok level 0 cultists, I command you to capture the hydra in that cave). And it had good advice on keeping a group of villains together without things going too off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU