Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.

I’m in several PbP games - mostly Fellowship but also Blades in the Dark. On Sunday I’m in a live Copperhead County game. I was running a Discord game of Dogs in the Vineyard, where we would meet up and have written sessions but the players weren’t happy with how harsh the game could be and we’re going to try out Remember Tomorrow. Unfortunately my computer is busted so we’ll have to wait until I set up a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

PerniciousKnid posted:

Didn't Vincent D Baker have some kind of pbp-specific game system? That sort of thing seems like the way to go rather than tediously taking traditional turns by post.

There was a game he made for Google+, but I don't think he's made a game specifically for PbP.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So how many games do people participate in at a time? Is it kosher to do more than one or is that just trying to spin too many plates at a time?

I'm in two live games on the weekend, one PbP (with another possibly coming up), and running a PbP. Play by post makes it easier to be in multiple games obviously but for live games I'd never do more then two at the same time.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I remember there was supposed to be a book about Iruvia, but it hasn't come out. Since the game doesn't really take place outside Duskwall, yeah you're encouraged to make things up. The reward for going into your heritage also includes beliefs, drives, and your life before the crew as well.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Speaking of Blades in the Dark supplements, it looks like there's going to be one for Dagger Isles:

https://www.bigbadcon.com/events/beyond-doskvol-developing-within-blades-in-the-dark/

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Are there any good 2 player RPGs? Could be 1 gm, 1 player; Two players; or switching the role of gm between players. Someone I've played with has interest in that and so do I, but I'm not sure what games are out there. I can only think of Breaking the Ice, which is a game about your PCs dating each other which might be a bit strange for our first choice.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jimbozig posted:

I've got a smallish 2-player game that I'm just about to roll out on Kickstarter to fund some extra art for the game (trying desperately to carve enough time out of my schedule to make the KS page and video right now... fall semester is always too drat busy!)

It's called Ariadne and Bob and the elevator pitch is that Ariadne is a hypercompetent know-it-all and Bob is her long-suffering sidekick and they go on adventures. It's got a few different playsets that you can choose depending on the setting you want, like sci-fi, fantasy, high society, horror, history and fiction. You could call it GMless, but I think it's more accurate to say that the traditional GM role has been divided between the two players in a fun way.

The game itself is finished and ready to go, and if you'd like to give it a try, just let me know and I can hook you up with a pdf.

Hey this was a while back, but I was busy and the thread moved on. I mentioned this to the other player and he's expressed interested as well - I'd love a PDF and we can try it out and give you feedback.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

grassy gnoll posted:

How are the non-Blades games in this FitD bundle? I've heard of exactly zero of them. https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Forged

Copperhead County is pretty good, I was in a campaign of it. It's still under development so it might change but it's pretty close to the final version.

edit: Oh looks like the standalone version is out and part of the package, that's good

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 7, 2021

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

hyphz posted:

I’m aware that there are many games which decentralise GMing by sharing it with the players. But I was wondering if there is any game that does not do that bit. Where the players are just players, and the GMs are just GMs but there is more than one of them.

Vincent Baker has a series of games called the Wizard's Grimoire, where it specifically says that you as a player will need to get two people to volunteer to effectively be your GMs. It says the reason there's two of them is so that they can trade off and build on each other's ideas. I haven't played it but there's an example.

An earlier game of his, Poison'd, had something similar. If your character was the first to leave play, one of your options is to become a co-GM. The second time a character leaves play, the game ends that session so you can't get to a point where it's all GMs and one player.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Also I think it's that having sex can be a stress relief, not that there are mechanics for sex. You can relieve stress in other ways and I don't believe there's anything like AW's Specials.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Magnetic North posted:

Like, I haven't watched The Boys for various reasons, but I think that bigboy fashy superman is just a complete loving sicko in part because who could ever stop him? In a warped Ring of Gyges kinda way.

Homelander is also helped by both the Vought Corporation, who help cover up his crimes, and society at large who think of superheroes as a great and necessary force for good. Basically, superheroes in The Boys are celebrity cops. Homelander is terrifyingly powerful, but in that series a huge thing is how a bunch of this poo poo is systemic in nature and there's no single bad force you can just beat up to make it go away.

There's also a part of Homelander's character where he wants to be genuinely loved and admired by ordinary American people, even as he thinks himself above them. He could attempt to take over and force everyone to obey him but then he'd be feared and hated. So Vought can try to control him in control that way.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 20, 2022

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

BattleMaster posted:

That's absolutely the worst setting/system match I've ever seen; I guess they wanted D&D alliteration that badly? :psyduck:

They wanted it to sell more - they even admit that in that long thread that there's already a Dr. Who game but this will get more attention due to slapping D&D on it.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

SkyeAuroline posted:

In absence of a dedicated thread appropriate to it: did anyone here actually play Dogs in the Vineyard? It's one of those games where APs basically don't exist (found all of two) and reviews are sparse on mentioning how the mechanics actually worked in practice. I've been interested for a long time & ran it briefly years back, was hoping to get some insight from people who managed more than "character creation and one session" (like me) on how the mechanics held up in play.
Despite the reaction last time I mentioned wanting to do a western, I have the brain itch again and I'm wondering how salvageable the dice system is.

There's two mechanics issues I remember. Having to come up with/keep track of NPC's stats was a bit of pain - I personally prefer Vincent's simplified rules for NPCs, located here. The gist is that you give an NPC one of those arrays, and they get more dice when things are escalated. You have to have consequences as part of your Raises but I find it's much easier then the default rules. His Star Wars inspired hack even uses these. I did talk to him about it a while ago and he mentioned that you might have to add more dice to them if you want to challenge your PCs later on.

The second big one is helping. Helping is really really powerful. If your PCs are always together and working on the same side, your NPC has to deal with multiple Raises before they get to their turn. Again, the Star Wars hack modifies helping to be a bit less of an advantage.

BinaryDoubts posted:

There's a new, settingless version (fully approved by Vincent Baker) that might be worth a look. Might be easier to add in the Western flavour to this than to take out the weird Mormon stuff in the original.

The big problem I have with this is that it makes it so that the 8+ Fallout are all negative - you can't add to or gain d4 Traits or make a d4 relationship and instead you lose dice from any non d4 Trait/Power. Those options are in DITV specifically to encourage players to Take The Blow, and this does the opposite.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 24, 2022

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anybody know what this is called?

Before the Rebellion is the current working title. What's done is on his Patreon, although I think he mentioned it being on pause for now.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Related to DitV, Vincent Baker also released a brief preview of another hack. It's called The Deseret Affair. The PCs are detectives hired by a rich banker in Chicago to rescue his daughter, who along with 22 other teen girls was kidnapped and taken into the Utah territories. The idea is that there will be 8 or 9 towns created as part of the campaign. The PCs will visit 5 or 6 of them in their pursuit of the kidnappers. If you want to take a look at it, it's on his Patreon. There's not a lot of mechanics given yet but it seems like instead of stats NPCs have arenas they can escalate to as part of a conflict - things like rage, self-defense, faith, hospitality, etc.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Remember Tomorrow is a simple GMless cyberpunk game where the PCs attempt to reach a goal of theirs and you also create Factions that get in the way. There’s some lists of gear, but it’s really just for descriptive purposes.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Splicer posted:

I'm not asking in the context of blade runner! I'm asking in the general case of an RPG where you play as specific purpose robots trying to adapt to situations beyond the scope of their original programming. Like the story "Who can replace a man?" or this short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49t-WWTx0RQ

A long time ago I came across an rpg that was in progress called something like Robots and Rapiers. In it, you play Renissance era swashbuckling robots - but in reality, the world was created as an amusement park for human guests and all the robots were programmed to believe that their world was real for the humans amusement. A huge war broke out and they left. Now robots are starting to realize "Hey, there's something strange going on." The PCs are some of those robots and have to decide if they're going to keep the facade up or let everyone know what's up. The interesting thing was the the GM made player's characters for them, but as the PCs began to push against their programming they lose features and can put them where they want. So if you start off as a brash swordsman who only lets his sword do the talking, you can overwrite your programming when you fight it and become someone who talks their way out of situations.

Googling it gives me a link to the website which says it's sold out, some links about the alpha (which might have been what I read), and what seem to be some :filez: site that have what I think are also the alpha rules. Maybe someone has read it or knows if the full game came out?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

That Old Tree posted:

I don't doubt that Cook will reliably fumble the ball and still sell 10,000 tickets, but what game is this? What does "literal and in-character" mean in this context?

Basically the PCs are using their powers to change what happened - it's not "I was prepared for this and have a gun stashed nearby", it's "I change reality so that there's a gun nearby."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

trapstar posted:

I'm not really familiar with how paid dming works. Do they usually have pre-planned settings and campaign stories that they then run for people who hire them out?

I'm not sure how it works either, but I think there would be the issue of needing to do more work reading up on your campaign setting and making adventures/campaigns that work with the lore established.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jimbozig posted:

-Some characters have moves that revolve around removing hit points, but you should first try to avoid letting them do that because it's a grind. And if they do end up using their moves (because the casters and talky dudes couldn't bypass the fight), you should punish them specifically.

Again and again, I wonder why anyone would play a fighter in any of these games. Except 4e, because 4e fighters loving rule.

It's less "punish them" and more "Here's how to make combat in DW more interesting then the fighting types just rolling Hack and Slash over and over again."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jimbozig posted:

The only in-game action we know he took was to ask to go last so that any disruptive effects of his wish would not step on the other characters' moments, which shows some consideration for fellow players.

I'm pretty sure he did that only so no other player would have a wish left to counter his.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I don’t know if this is quite the right thread, but I’m looking into running a short Feng Shui 2e game. Not a one shot, maybe a couple sessions? I’ll be doing it over either PbP or Discord. I’m trying to do a modern day/Heroic Bloodshed story as suggested by the rules. Any threads discussing this system or people willing to talk in this thread about it with me? Would appreciate it a lot!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lemon-Lime posted:

:justpost: your questions in here.

There used to be a FS2e thread but it's long since been vaulted for inactivity.

So the basic gist of the game I'm going for is "The villain is a dangerous maverick cop who the PCs have decided to take down." There's a couple things I'm wondering about.

1) The cop is definitely going to be a Boss. I want him to be the hardest enemy, so I'm wondering if it's fine to make the other important enemies just Featured Foes with some Foe Shticks, or if I should have more Bosses for climatic fights. I don't think he needs to be an Uber-Boss since that seems it would make him too powerful.

2) I'm thinking of having the PC get some advances during the game, probably when they achieve an important goal. What would be a good amount for a short game?

3) Do the stats for vehicles work differently for enemies then PCs or am I reading the stats wrong? The example Features Foes in the book that have vehicles have lower stats for what's listed then what the section on vehicles gives. For example the Security Sports Utility Vehicle has Acceleration 6 / Handling 6 / Frame 7, but in several write ups it's listed as 3/5/6.

hyphz posted:

Just ban the Killer Archetype. It’s an exemplar of bad design.

By bad design do you mean broken or just not fun to play?

Covok posted:

How does one run a PbP game without like losing interest and giving up? All my PbP games go that way and I want to play Fabula Ultima and I don't have time for another discord game.

The person running it definitly needs to have interest and constantly update. It also helps to prod players and make sure they don't forget to post or see if they aren't sure what to do. Aside from that, I find it helps to get players who you've done PbP with before and you know will try to stick around.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Thanks!

Thanlis posted:

I would strongly recommend against Feng Shui for players who want that kind of tactical defensive option. There is nothing wrong with wanting them, but Feng Shui is the wrong game.

Hiding behind another character could be them giving you a Boost to your defenses, along with one of both of you spending Fortune to increase the bonus. That’s a good way to handle “I cover them” in the rules.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

hyphz posted:

No, that would make sense. But Dodge lasts for “the single attack you are interrupting”. So if 4 people fire at you, you can Dodge behind a barrier for the first one, but then inexplicably are not behind the barrier anymore for the next three, even though you didn’t get to fire back.

Dodging costs you Shots - you can use the same cover but they’re firing at you so much they’re preventing you from being able to do anything (you keep going lower in the Sequence).

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah. I'd definitely call it a refinement of Masks over a ripoff. Mostly because reading it helped me crystalize a lot of the issues I have with Masks. If you're curious, it's two main things.

1) Each playbook having a central issue that shifts instead of literally every stat makes it a lot easier to keep track of what each character is good at, and means you don't get into that weird situation where you want to find excuses for have authority figures call a character freakish because Freak is their main stat but it's gotten low lately and they're getting salty about it being that low for however long it'd take to get it back up normally. Of course, this scenario is only a problem because of my second main issue with Masks.

2) The main moves were trying to do too much in too compact of a space. Both Avatar Legends and Masks cover roughly the same three scenarios: emotional discussions between characters, big cool fights, and antics that draw on the mechanics for both emotional moments and fights. But Masks tries really hard to have a tight set of core moves, so each stat only has one or two moves attached to it to cover all of that, and that means you end up with stats like Savior whose only default move is "react to what someone else did to threaten something". And part of the point of high stats is that they prompt you on what you could do in a scene, because it's what you're going to be good at. But if your Masks character has, say, Savior and Mundane as their highest stats and they're in a fight, that prompting points to "talk to people" (which probably isn't super feasible fictionally) and "protect people" (which is entirely reactive).

In my experience, NPCs will usually be calling PCs by the label their playbook is about. The Legacy is going to have everyone pressuring them about being a good Savior, the Beacon is going to deal with comments about being too Mundane for the superhero life, and the Transformed will constantly be called a Freak because of how they look. The playbooks also have other moves that use the stats they're good at. The Legacy uses Savior, and they have: A move that lets them use Savior to Directly Engage; a move they can use when they Take A Blow from someone stronger then them; and a move that lets them use Savior to try and order NPCs around.

You can also move your stats around yourself. Rejecting Influence or a teammate using Comfort or Support on you lets you shift Labels on a 7-9, along with playbook moves that can shift stats and the end of session move. I'd also say a Mundane character in a fight can absolutely find uses for reading people and trying to emotionally help other people.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Epi Lepi posted:

I mean it's true. Shocking as it may be, not everyone wants to play PTBA game number 8000.

It's more the attitude of "anything indie is high art fancy gimmicks instead of real rules" in posts like that. There are tons of indie games that range from simple to high crunch.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Admiralty Flag posted:

Something like this could be handled with a hack to Dogs in the Vineyard, which includes a push-your-luck option with making hands vs. escalation. At the start of the job, everyone rolls the appropriate die pool according to their role. Then, when people run out of dice as they proceed through the job, instead of going from words -> fists -> guns (was there a fourth stage? I can't remember...), as a group they go from undetected -> suspicious -> alerted when someone has to escalate the situation to stay in contention by rolling additional dice.

The stages of conflict in Dogs are Words, Action, Fighting, and then Guns. Something that a lot of people miss because it's not really spelled out is that you don't have to go in that order - you get new dice by escalating so you can in fact start off punching each other and then move words - if you say something that can escalate the conflict that's currently involves you and your opponent beating the poo poo out of each other.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Servetus posted:

According to the character advancement rules in AW you can only take a maximum of 2 advances from outside your playbook. So you are confined by the definition of the archetype in the mind of the author, which may not fit into what you want for your character because you see different archetypes than they do. In addition the archetypes for Apocalypse World only apply if Mad Max is your view of the post-apocalypse, maybe Fallout if you really stretch things. If your view of the genre is more based on Earth Abides or A Canticle for Liebowitz than very few playbooks will be useful at all, which leaves you either trying to create you own Playbook or sitting unhappily in an existing one. If you do need to create a new Playbook to run past your GM you need to create an entire set of Moves to go with it; you need to not only create a view of your character's starting state but all the places you want to go with the character.

I'd say playbooks give a common jumping off point, and the players make their own spin on it. You usually won't be able to take every advance your playbook has so the ones you do take and what out of playbook or special advances you also take can make a world of difference. Having played the same PbtA games repeatedly, I've seen people create unique takes on the playbooks you're given and I myself have used the same playbook to play very different characters.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

theironjef posted:

Sure. Though in that case I'd argue that, to my knowledge, the character not being blase about, being affected by it, is what the mechanics represent. It's function following form. Like I'd even have figured that it was the point of there being sex-driven mechanics, to sort of try to evolve sex in games away from "if there's whores in the tavern I wanna do them" and towards being part of the story. Having a big old counterspell that targets story mechanics related to intimacy is, again just to me, both wild and antithetical. Further, if you want to respect that it's in there, being like "Yeah, I don't get my sex move granted hold or whatever, but I'm gonna act exactly like I would if I had gotten it" runs counter to intent anyway! But anyway, I really did enjoy AW and my read through of it. Just a small YMMV for me.

Battlebabes are meant to be weird - having a mechanic of "normally having sex has a special move attached to it but I negate that" is an intended effect of that. You can also have your PC react to their special not coming into play regardless - if a Hocus can normally connect with their partners by being able to hep/hinder them from anywhere, what do they do when sex with the Battlebabe doesn't have that happen?

Interestingly there's an extended playbook called The Show which has the special of "If you and another character have sex, sweet." Sort of like the Battlebabe not having anything happen but it doesn't negate the other PC's special in this case.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Wasn't it a game run at a convention? If it's the Poison'd story I'm thinking of, that one got pretty infamous

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Tarnop posted:

I like that Blades puts them front and centre and also ties them to the stricter mechanical rules for effect. I'm pretty sure the number of segments shaded in AW is always MC's discretion except for the harm clock

Clocks in AW always have six segments and each segment has a specific event tied to it, with later segments being more severe. So usually the MC advances the clock one segment when appropriate. If a PC does something that would advance the clock more (for example, killing an NPC who would be killed later) then you advance the clock to that point.

Blades has a different approach where the segments on the clock can vary, and you figure out what happened in the fiction based on the roll.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
What in the goddamn gently caress

Someone posted cheesecake art but wanted to get some ideas for the character and everyone jumps to accusing them of being the pisswizard?!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I'm fine with a "simple" class if they can actually be on par with everyone else. I'm playing a pure Heroic Warrior in a Worlds Without Numbers game because I haven't played the system before and my abilities are very simple and are basically "be good at fighting." As we've leveled up I've gained more combat abilities through talents I pick up which add a bit more to keep track of but nothing too major. The thing is my character very, very, very good at it - the rest of the party has various supernatural abilities and spells that let them do a bunch of unique things but none of them can really match his ability to just kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

hyphz posted:

With all the debate about interesting moves in combat, it always feels that everyone forgets the issue of RPGs making those hard to use by definition by eliminating safe experimentation. Since you can’t just reload the game, or play that opponent’s army again next time, the scope to try tactics and learn from them is massively limited. That throttles any attempt at mechanical depth.

That's only true if the outcome of combat is always death. A lot of systems can have your characters lose badly in a fight and still get away to try later or with a different approach or whatever.