Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
from the last thread:

Boba Pearl posted:

What's the best dungeon mapping software?
What's the best World Building Software?

I need to know because my maps are garbage and I bought CC3+ with the dungeon and city suit and it was NOT worth it.

tl;dr: Wonderdraft, Inkarnate, Dungeondraft, Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.NET, use other people's maps, use randomly generated maps, don't worry as much about making your own maps if you need a lot of them. Figure out your needs. Longer form answer below.

---

What are you looking for here? Do you want to make your own maps for a specific game, or is it a module, or for a novel or something? Do you want to improve your maps for a game that relies on grid combat, like GURPS or D&D?

If you want to make maps that look pretty good for dungeon mapping to use at a physical table with lots of rich image assets and you print everything out for us in color, then something like Dungeondraft is pretty okay. Otherwise, a free image editor should be fine.

If you want to make battle maps that fit your specific vision on a virtual tabletop software that already allows for a grid projection like Roll20 or Tabletop Simulator, then I think you could take map assets and throw them onto there and do the grid projection and call it a day. "2 Minute Tabletop" is great for this and rather than spend time making my own maps, I stitch together maps and then use multicolored pens to customize or link them in a virtual tabletop.

Campaign Cartographer 3 is mostly intended if you want to create things for publications and is mostly a CAD program. The "Tome of Ultimate Mapping" is very useful for teaching it, but it's primarily making publication-grade material and it requires a lot of time to learn and prepare maps. It's 'worth it' if you want to commit to making money with map design, but for everyday map creation tableside, I agree probably not worth it.

For world maps, that also again depends. Wonderdraft is great, I hear good things about Inkarnate, but I also randomly generate world maps via Dwarf Fortress and then either redraw them for world maps or use as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

mellonbread posted:

Is there a "tell me about your character" thread somewhere on this board, and if not is it something anyone's interested in?

I have embodied a sentiment of just post, the thread I made about megadungeons is pretty much 80% me talking to myself

Tell me about your character though

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

FWIW I'm following your megadungeon post, I just don't have anything meaningful to contribute to it.

nice

Tulip posted:

I mean I'm interested in hearing about your character but that feels like exactly the sort of thing that is interesting with the kind of infrequency that it's a good thing for the chat thread.

After having spent a stint in the yob I think two main things:

- better to post something than worry about if it will fly or not
- better to post, and celebrate an attempt, anywhere, without barriers

Very much the :justpost: energy but for TG/

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
unrelated but i decided to experiment with recording an intro piece of audio with a music bed for my saturday game to help rapidly onboard new players, since we lost 2-3 out of 5 and we need two more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbzWjFUUX24

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mustache Ride posted:

So you need players? Consider me sizzled.

Send me a PM, I am indeed looking for 1 or 2 more players, but I was mostly just like "look, a thing!"

The workflow was nowhere near as intimidating as I thought!

1. Record audio
2. Use something to level it
3. Download music from Youtube's music library that seemed thematically appropriate
4. Add music with 50% or less level respective to the spoken word with a fade out and fade in for the two segments
5. Use FusionCast (OS X only afaict) to automatically convert the audio with a cool image for Youtube
6. Upload
7. Use written script for subtitles and description
8. Done! Listen over and over and feel kind of satisfied with it

The actual pipeline was quite fast, the longest bit was deciding the songs to use. I think I'll probably try to do this for all the games that I have active just because it is a fun thingamabob.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

DeathSandwich posted:

Do Wonderdraft or Inkarnate or the like have any plugins for Modern/Cyberpunk stuff or is all fantasy?

Dunno, it is whatever you wanna make out of it, probably:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wonderdraft/comments/ao8hic/against_all_odds_i_made_a_modern_city_map_in/

I guess Wonderdraft has a reputation for not being modern friendly but it seems like this chum has figured it out.

Cyberpunk (at least, aesthetically) is lighting heavy so unless you are comfortable with object source lighting your best bet is likely to crib blueprints and maps from published sources to accomplish your needs. I don't know anything about Inkarnate but since people refer to Wonderdraft as the "Inkarnate competitor program" then I'd assume it is similar in some ways but may not have object lighting support.

Alternate suggestions for a modern / cyberpunk game: just take stuff from other people. Examples:

GM move 1: Google maps. Look for cities that are not in your locale if you like.

GM move 2: Public domain blueprints. Cyberpunk has to do with crawling around buildings and so on. https://www.archdaily.com/780312/these-are-the-best-architecture-images-from-the-nypls-new-public-domain-collection

GM move 3: Make your own map using terrain bits in Tabletop Simulator and then "pose it" in the camera angle you want, then take a screenshot of it and print it out / use it in roll20/whatever vtt. You can even toy around with grids and lighting for this.

This all comes down to:

"what do you want to do with maps (not just yours, but anybody's maps)"

"how much resources (time, energy, money, maybe) do you have to reasonably commit to this"

If creating maps means "designing and creating maps from scratch for a specific thing you have in mind that is also able to be created in an efficient, approachable way in a very specific aesthetic style", then you may need to look at existing map inspiration for those as well, because no program will make a satisfying map for you in a short timeframe. Budget at least a couple of hours until you get the hang of it and get ready to do a lot of it before it feels comfortable.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I own Band of Blades and I thought it was supposed to be like a grim military misery heroics thing and maybe you make it to the Last Stand like that Sabaton album but AT WHAT COST and it seems that is mostly accurate. If dice are flying, someone's dyin'.

I have no reference to playing Blades in the Dark (which I also own, but have never really played, just read through) but I also try to treat each game as its own thing unless it has some expectation somewhere that I should have explicit knowledge of some other game before playing it

I should get around to using the Pool to run a BLAME! game like I tried doing but quickly lost interest in via pbp several years ago. Superpowered robots that have gravitic beam emitters with a finite energy reserve vs. replicating silicoid life forms and other weird poo poo seems good. Related, but I was a bit underwhelmed by Nibiru, but its setting is okay to mine. Zone Raiders might be the game of choice I'd have but playing tactical wargame minis campaign can be tough (speaking as someone who runs LANCER and GURPS). Might be a cool thing though.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

I guess I'm completely incapable of communicating my thoughts so I'll just shut up about the game already.

fwiw I got your deal but yeah.

Anybody play Sword World 2 yet? If not, who wants to play it in some fashion?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Also, I need some appropriate music for both Sword World and just generic fantasy tunes in the classical music space in general. Suggestions?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
A few questions:

- Do you (generically) want to criticize a specific work or its mechanics in the game space as a comparative thing for its entire composition like the Band of Blades vs. Blades in the Dark comparison, or fixating on a specific component or two of one thing to compare it to other systems?
- Does assuming the enjoyment of others (other than yourself) factor into a game's worth either via its commercial success or its aesthetic design?
- Does someone need to necessarily use an agreed upon language for some to criticize something and learn that vocabulary as a prerequisite for delivering an opinion?

I think on the last question, there doesn't need to be a rigorous vocabulary to talk about why people do / don't like a game or its components, at least, but I get this impression from the thread that for others, that point is more important than the criticism or opinion being delivered, which seems to stifle discussion.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

mellonbread posted:

So how do you handle military ranks/authority/chain of command in tabletop RPGs?

I use some era of USA rank designations and go from there based on the troop type or if someone has beef with it ask the expert in the group and tell them to make it up. If they want to go hard to the paint about the historical whatnot then they are 100% welcome to flesh out that bit of the scenario.

Alternate option is define your roles and then make up thematic names for them.

I get you, all good points to consider and digestible (at least to me). Suggestion: It may be useful to, as a moderator, qualify and sticky some of these vocabulary bits in a sticky guidelines thread, I think, since there are a variety of things that seem to be taken for granted among some people in this subforum but fly over the head or are otherwise lost when doing a critique.

Developing a useful shared vocabulary and getting general agreement at least in this community on what that vocabulary is may be useful for people looking to join a discussion or attempting to categorize other semantical bits and bobs.

I know that for me, I find it necessary to reorganize game design vocabulary in order to better pick apart systems for my usage, but I try to qualify that in greater detail. I think that the transactional flow of "post opinion, someone says 'i don't get it', original opinion discussion diverges into multiple conversations in the same thread" tends to cause a lot of meanders and I just tune out super hard a lot of the time.

I think it's cool to critique something but also remain positive about it. For whatever reason, there has been (not here specifically, just in general) a concept that if there is something to criticize about a work, it makes the entire work invalid or less in quality. I happen to like lots of RPG systems that have very valid criticisms of them, but I don't think lesser of the effort that was put into designing a system because there is something about the ad copy or the mechanics.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Leperflesh posted:

You've got some innerestin' ideas worth mulling over there, fax. Some kind of "heading off the same dumb arguments that happen all the time" glossary/reference... thing... could be useful both to facilitate effective communication, and to make my job easier.

The challenge might be reaching a consensus on those definitions? Or the document itself becoming a locus of sniping? Hmm.

I think you might want to exercise some authorial license and just go for it. If you provide specific details people will get real worked up over the semantics of it, such is the nature of this hobby. However, a "style guide" would be pretty good.

Generally speaking I think there are some specific terms like GNS theory which people find distasteful, but stylistically main themes to consider have to do mostly with making sure people are on the same page and not just constantly going "Huh???". If a message is unclear in some kind of conversation, there ought to be some reconciliation. Example:

> Here is a post about criticism of what Game X does, and does not do.
> Here is another post not understanding the OP. It should also contain what is unclear and what the interpretation was, at the very least.
> OP has a chance to reply as needed to clarify their position.
> Life moves on...

I think if people want to take something intended to help streamline communications in bad faith, there's not much you can do about that other than leverage reporting functionality.

In general, I'm just taking my experiences from taking a look mostly at BYOB and how their mod team has had a very active hand in shaping the kind of place it is today by providing some reasonable and respectful guidelines. This is to also imply that there's a "right" and "wrong" kind of post, to which I would say, yeah, there's probably bad posts, but also posts that are bad because they perpetuate a certain dogma.

I don't have any other place to put said hope but I was hoping that if we're looking to move forward from a place of mostly tongue-in-cheek negativity from people who are in the know, then encouraging more positive-minded critiquing should be at least a start.

Also, and this is maybe going too far over the hill on this one, but since most of TG's discussion is focused on megathreads, perhaps a sub-subforum for those megathreads might be useful...? Probably not the best idea since it just makes accessibility even harder, but just spitballing stuff while it's in my noggin.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Jimbozig posted:

Hey chat thread, I'm writing some wizardy stuff involving divination and in particular prophecy. This is fairly in-depth, so there's going to be tarot stuff and crystal ball stuff and mystical trance stuff as different modalities of prophecy. But I'm hoping to learn from the successes and failures of those who went before me, so can anyone point to any detailed rules for prophecy from other games and even better, info about how they worked well or poorly?

I found a free Dungeon World playbook called the prophet, but the rules there are basically that the GM has to do all the hard work of coming up with something. The player gets to pick if it's got a lie in it, or if it's something they don't want to hear and can't repeat, or if they take psychic damage from it. That leaves so much for the GM! If I was a GM, I'd hope that the player used that move sparingly because it's so much mental effort deciding exactly how much of the mystery to reveal, especially if it keeps being used.

I have my own priorities: I want the moves/rules to really support the GM. I want it to be useable in a mystery without completely solving things. I want the more difficult modalities to be able to do some things the easier ones can't do, but without completely superceding them. Ideally I want it to be self-limiting, giving a reason why you won't just deal out tarot cards over and over looking for more info, or say "well the cards were vague so I'm going to look in the crystal ball and ask the same question."

Any examples good or bad of how to run player prophets would be greatly appreciated!

I use Blind Guardian song lyrics and send them to my future teller with contextless imagery, myself, and it works for the player who is the future teller. If you're looking for how to connect pieces together, GURPS Mysteries has a very good treatment on the whole thing since a prophecy to be solved is another puzzle but with potentially bigger payoff.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I forgot to add, MORK BORG has a prophecy mechanic, which is a fixed book of black psalms where you roll at the beginning of every (whatever time unit works for you) and then consult the psalms, which are purely narrative in nature, but can be interpreted mechanically by the GM and players both. You could intentionally restrict information like this to just the GM who knows the "True Prophecy" and the player who thinks they know what that is, and then go from there as well.

The idea behind prophecies have to do with "a thing that will happen in the future that is unavoidable" and then one of two responses from players:

- sounds RAD. guess i'm going to do the fated thing
- sounds poo poo. guess i'm going to subvert that and do something different instead

See also: the MEGADUNGEON thread, in which I actually dive deeper into...Well, Mysteries! In that, there is not only a "reveal" mechanic, but a "flow control" mechanic: it depends on how much players are interested in a given Thing and their material investment which rewards progress with minor incremental reveals (they need not be in serial order) and with major reveals when they reach that point. And, as previously mentioned, a prophecy is like a mystery in game context; compartmentalizing and revealing things that suit your narrative takes some effort but also allows you to develop at your own rate.

Alternately, you could totally pay someone on like here or Fiverr to write you a mystery and then you can use that.

If you're going to use Tarot Cards vs. Crystal Ball, I think mechanically you need to determine different outcomes. Tarot Cards are heavy in terms of interpretation of symbols and their orientation, whereas a Crystal Ball is a clairvoyant thing that explicitly reveals a scene. Perhaps one gives higher quality information but has very explicit restrictions (can only be done in the light of the moon, or in absolute darkness with a blood sacrifice) vs. broad information but no restrictions (any table space that can fit some cards on it, or the ground, which is really just a big table).

If you want the mechanics to support you as a GM and kind of lampshade the thing for you, then you can make a portents and signs of approaching doom table that's behind the screen. A success in reading Tarot means you give the players a portent. A Crystal Ball allows to look into a specific Sign of Doom, but you need to have something special to dive into that, which can further drive player questing. "We have to find out what the DARK LORD'S plans are, so we must take the JEWEL OF VISIONS from the CAVE OF BADNESS to use the CRYSTAL BALL to find out!"

Many ways of interpreting something like this! I'm interested to read about what you come up with if you choose to share your results.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Absurd Alhazred posted:

...sources for a terminology stickie, I think this would be a good addition: the what I like glossary, which should be relevant to all traditional games...

I think this is a pretty good and high level glossary, though I wonder if people may see it as pretentious because it uses Greek words and so on to define concepts (or maybe I am just thinking of a strawman here). Also, much as I think it is a bit on the reductive side, TV Tropes is a good way to help lend further well-known vocabulary to these things as well if using a bit more pop culture language to it.

Similarly, using BoardGameGeek and RPGGeek's taxonomy is probably a good move as well for specifically mechanical components, which leverages a wider community's vocabulary in service of our own (and also if people from outside of the current SA TG zeitgeist come in, they are not wholly lost on what people are talking about when they're describing how a game doesn't have enough AGON or KINESIS and is thus shark chowder).

I don't know if the TG Wiki is still a thing but having a living curated document somewhere to help define these high level concepts would be good, and reiterating that they should only be high level.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Nice

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Can we get some words from Dwarf74 about the new coronation and possibly about polyhedrals

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Does anybody have suggestions for effectively sorting and storing RPG books?

Since all the big format books have a specific size I was thinking about possibly getting more bookcases and the like, but I also don't know if that is really the stuff I ought to be doing in this small space I'm in right now. I have a bookcase which is pretty much overflowing at this point and a tall bookshelf that is overflowing with boardgames in the living room, but I'd like to pursue some upgraded solutions like maybe switching out my current bookcase for a longer one or maybe just swapping the whole business out for like a 5x5 IKEA combo grid or something to reinforce with wood glue (somewhat awkward to build though since I'll be moving in about half a year).

I have a growing list of books that are in various systems rather than just one, but I'd like easy access to all of them while I'm ruminating on design stuff.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Also (since board suggestions seem to be semi-acknowledged in here) would it maybe be worthwhile to reboot some of these megathreads? I was looking at some of them recently and noticed that some of these threads have been created more than one presidential term ago and had their OPs last updated prior to the hellvirus. There's no question that a lot of 'em are very active but also at the same time some of the info is kinda stale.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm guessing via context you're not amenable to building them yourself because of space reasons or something?

DIY, correct; I live in an apartment and I am attempting to refit my office until I move

Leperflesh posted:

the "megathread problem"

I don't know that I consider megathreads a problem any more than organizing my bookshelves is. I do think that there are some things that can be done despite the inertia of "but TG has always been like this, and there aren't enough people coming to this part of the forum to affect change", but I think those are well documented at this point and whatever else is going on may eventually sort itself out or not and I'll go back under a rock for another few years.

Anyway, I have only very recently started paying a modicum of attention to the chat thread, and I don't know there is any kind of expectation set (yet) that people ought to scrumble through this thread's stream of consciousness to see what the latest hubbub is. A "thread sandcastle" like Let's Play has might also be worthwhile for if someone wants to spar out an idea rather than adopting a :justpost: methodology.

Something that might also be cool is just posting something like, "Here's threads you might have missed this past month. Take a look!" I think this was done in the prior chat thread once or twice, but might warrant its own sticky as well for whichever people want to take on that whole thing.

On the wiki front, there seems to be some kind of request for account activation, so I applied for an account there and I guess if/when that is approved, some such things can be added there which may be of use.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Thread idea: designing and creating character sheets for TG forums-goers, entertaining and informative (but only with what people are willing to share in their good nature).

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

My Lovely Horse posted:

Probably obvious but top level sorting should be alphabetically by game system, then by edition within systems, then within each edition go from general to specific. Core rulebooks first, supplements after; the less broadly applicable a book is to the system, the further to the end it goes. Books that continue earlier books go with those ("Monster Manual 2"). I'd also separate third party stuff within sections. If you've got a lot of published adventures set them up in their own subsection. Sortings that make sense include by PC level they're written for, by the area they're set in - that kinda depends on how you personally use them.

I have it set up by doing system name, alphabetical / book type / book title, alphabetical for the moment. The only exception is that the books closest to me to grab are the GURPS core books while all the D&D stuff and everything else is sorted off to the side. That takes up two of the three shelves, whereas the bottom shelf remains as holding printer paper, sheet protectors, and miscellaneous doodads.

I may re-rack some of the books by genre as while I have many fantasy type RPG books in the larger hardcover format, I am beginning to amass non-fantasy RPG material, particularly in the futuristic or alternate present sci-fi space. I don't necessarily know where Spire fits in that, but I think it'll be lumped in with the fantasy books. I have a large amount of Infinity RPG, Zone Raiders, and Nibiru which should take a quarter shelf alone, plus there's probably going to be more books besides to shove in there whenever I do get around to bulking out that section.

I also have a variety of artbooks that I don't quite know what to do with along with other stuff that is in a big pile of generic inspiration stuff (photography studies, poetry anthologies, as well as a reasonable stack of video game related artbooks and stuff to mine for color palettes). I suppose it might make more sense to put those in a separate smaller bookcase, but I'm waffling and it's half insomnia and half the fact I haven't been able to play any games this week that my brain is trying to find something to do.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I did try to run Legacy 1st edition as a PBP and then it turns out my brain is mostly incapable of PBP and xian got very mad at me after looking forward to it, and that's my Legacy story. Cool system, I think, because anything that has to do with player agency in world building mechanics and engaging with the world in multiple entities is cool.

I also may have made a mistake since I think I just bought all of Runequest 4th Edition? Stay tuned for more "how to fit books in bookcase" adventures I guess

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMKtjgkmCvc

This is a super neat concept. I want to make stuff like this and just reserve some space to stage up minis for online use. I really miss the 3D aspect of gameplay since only Tabletop Simulator allows for that reasonably, and this would be a pretty neat way to do it, though I'm not sure how I'd handle any systems which require stringent grid combat other than just go "eh whatever, it's loving Paper Mario now, y'all"

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.

Monday: LANCER RPG on TTSim (now at LL5)
Tuesday, alternating: D&D 5e on Roll20, Hack the Planet on TTSim
Wednesday: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy on Roll20
Thursday: D&D 5e on Roll20
Friday: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy (in planning)
Saturday, alternating: Feng Shui 2, D&D 5e (as a player!)
Saturday: D&D 5e - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbzWjFUUX24
Sunday: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy on TTSim

Sadly this entire week has been shot since dental work took a lot out of me, but when things are back up and running should be back to the normal tricks again. I'm planning to cede on the Tuesday D&D game end of February since it was meant to be a temporary thing but I ended up running that group since last August when the other DM burned out hard. We also had major turnover and 2-3 people leaving the Saturday D&D game but MustacheRide has valiantly stepped up and so on.

I did just pick up Runequest 4e so I'll give it a shake, but I still also want to run Sword World. I did some in-depth planning while in outer space last year so I have a full storyline for Feng Shui and LANCER scoped out, and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is the game that I run which I also document its experiments in the Megadungeon thread.

I might consider slimming some games down or rotating DM responsibilities out since I've been doing these games for almost a full year in lockdown.

I was thinking about attempting some PBP but I really can't swing it that much. Same thing with by-chat games.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Apparently, I have written over 25 thousand words in the megadungeon thread, and I have put another post in there about West Marches. I think it would be neat to have a West Marches thread, so maybe I will make one tomorrow, or just keep piling on more insane words to the current thread.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Bean saber, the legendary blade forged from legume ingots

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I created a gnome once for a game whose name was Rogue Operadrake, and Legume Ingots has a very similar energy

Also, I am working on the West Marches thread, stay tuned.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

aldantefax posted:

Also, I am working on the West Marches thread, stay tuned.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954890

Here is a West Marches thread!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If you wanted to give a new gm the greatest chance possible of successfully running 4-10 sessions, what system and possibly supplements would you give them? Can include published adventures.

For this hypothetical, assume that YouTube and other internet fan resources aren’t available so that popularity doesn’t have as strong a weight.

Too little detail for the situation. What do they and their group like and want from an aesthetics standpoint? Budget? Any other constraints? In person or online? Does said new GM have any frame of reference for games? Is there some kind of specific unspoken limitations? Age group? Other factors, like language/literacy? Do they never have any access to the internet at all? Lead time to game 1? Attention span? Scheduling? How long is a session? Is this assuming they just find this thing at a store one day and then they are off to the races?

If you want a serious answer for a specific scenario then more information required. For most people, D&D 5e aims to be the contemporary answer for this nebulous question.

No one that bites is going to be happy with any blanket recommendation because said new GM could be anybody with any level of incoming skill, frame of reference, etc. Every game has its ups and downs that you could argue until you're blue in the face and someone will likely be apoplectic by the end of it.

D&D 5e's Lost Mines of Phandelver is meant to check the majority of those boxes. Comes with quick start rules as well as premade characters and all the material you need to run the adventure including dice and maps, has clear progression, teaches as it goes, and offers lots of expansion afterwards. It was explicitly designed to onramp new people to the game. The other beginner set, Dragon of Icespire Peak, does the same thing. Phandelver has been offered for low cost normally and free digitally. It does not need any other supplements. It has tons of resources available that could be provided across all stripes of media that are squarely focused on making it run as smoothly as possible. You could gate it directly to a published hardbook adventure as well. In addition to this, it has high production value with evocative art, has been translated into a whole lot of languages other than English, and generally has had a lot of effort made to be a low barrier to entry.

If for some reason you're not looking for D&D and not willing to consider it, then you can use pretty much any system or iteration of it that fits your secret criteria. If not D&D, then clarification is needed as to why not. Phandelver is meant to be a physical item that hooks people into 5e.

The important thing for a new GM is that they get to the table and feel okay with running with their chums and the rules are really not as important. If they have zero frame of reference to what games are and have zero ability to look things up, consult with anybody online or offline, then they can try any game system that ships with a boxset for beginners. Anything that assumes you already have game materials lying around likely will not work for theory-GM.

I am sure there are games that are for younger audiences as well that are or are not some form of simplified play of D&D.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I want more games like How to Host A Dungeon. The Quiet Year is cool but I have no space to really play it out in nor a digital tablet.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is the mahjong thread moving too

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
It is called, in fact, Mahjong Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869069

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Leperflesh posted:

Huh. Well I gather mahjong can be played for money, I've only played casually at someone's house, but I'm happy to move the thread if folks in the thread want me to. Definitely not required to move, though.

Riichi mahjong is 100% deffo a gambling game and there are definitely (il)legal ways of making money from it

Mahjong in general is a game where you get Heated Up

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I used to own Hoyle's and I think it kind of sucks that we don't see a lot of classic card games in modern usage these days because everybody kind of moved on to video games, board games and the like. I used to play gin rummy w/ my old man when we went camping or dominoes but also played canasta; Speed was popular as a 1v1 game at my high school, as was big2 (chor dai dee, pusoy dos, etc.).

Clubhouse Games on the Switch is actually a great way to play with people because it has copies of the rules, nice user experience, it's just expensive. If you know someone who you're looking to give a gift to and they have a Switch, I recommend it since it has cool traditional games to play.

Doesn't have Canasta though. Fuckers...

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i think the japanese implementation of president via daihinmin which allows for revolutions means you can turn some rounds around, but it is a game that you can get rolled at

pusoy dos follows the same thing and we played so much of it so if i met your friends whom proposed to play i would go "yep" and then there'd be a slow montage of people just dramatically letting their cards fall out of their hands while i count the mangoes they have given me

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I dunno if chess is like this but I do know there is a culture of quality game teaching through instructive play in go and unless you are going out into the wild as a lil baby gamer and getting whomped on by people with galaxy brain ELO then it is likely you will run into someone hopefully that is like

"wow. a human being who wants to play chess. i am also a human being, who wants to play chess, so i should socialize with them in a way that is not antagonistic and instead welcoming"

it just happens to be to some people they will just jump onto the table and do an endzone dance as being welcoming

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I don't think that's a problem.

It depends on the mentality of people to recognize when an unwinnable situation is encountered, and have the courage to play through or seek more to understand with some humility to resign. Unless you are playing truly competitively at a tournament or similar match then there should be minimal to no issue with communicating respectfully with your opponent to let them know about this situation. Whether or not the opponent's ego finds it denigrating or condescending or just lacking in understanding and being frustrated may also indicate that if they themselves cannot recognize they are dead to rights, then it is a growth opportunity for both sides to discuss game theory in greater detail.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In the circumstances defined as an experienced player to a new player if it was not a competitive match I would say something along the lines of, "the move you played will put you into a spot where you would normally resign, but if you'd like we can play through it and talk about how that is".

You could absolutely as an experienced player give newer players instruction through play and meta-commentary. Nothing restricts someone from instruction in a specific way because the scenario may change in 5 moves. Identifying critical turning points is a useful skill to have and informing someone that is open to feedback when they encounter those points is a fantastic learning experience.

Just because a series of moves has been analyzed by other people does not mean the player making those moves has encyclopedic knowledge of that, or they might know it and but not understand the meaning of why such a series of moves leads to a loss.

In competitive games like Go, it is not expected that a newbie is going to win against a senior player, but if there is a meaningful connection the senior player should take the opportunity to educate and help grow the junior player in what ways they can, rather than writing off the encounter as not worth their time, hopeless, or in poor sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I don't think the teaching moment needs to be extended or even explicitly called out, but "nice game" is a nebulous term. I would consider a game of go where I get romped on but learned a lot from someone a "nice game", but it has to do with a specific mindset one might have when approaching the game. If having a nice game = winning a game in which there must be a clearly defined winner and loser, the statistics indicate you will not have a nice game some of the time.

Maybe I don't want to play go and instead I want to shove a puck through some grit while pounding eight beers at the local pub, or throwing axes trying to get a bullseye, or solving a murder mystery or building a castle out of Lego bricks. I'm just saying that in the context of Go or any other deterministic 1v1 game if as a new player you have an expectation to win or not lose against an opponent whose skill you may not comprehend and make a pattern that is unwinnable because of your lack of knowledge, that can still be an enjoyable experience as long as you let it be.

tl;dr: if you are a sore winner or loser you will have a bad time in a competitive game, but record your reactions on Youtube so we can all have a good laugh like Phil Hellmuth