Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

aldantefax posted:

from the last thread:

tl;dr: Wonderdraft, Inkarnate, Dungeondraft, Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.NET, use other people's maps, use randomly generated maps, don't worry as much about making your own maps if you need a lot of them. Figure out your needs. Longer form answer below.

---

What are you looking for here? Do you want to make your own maps for a specific game, or is it a module, or for a novel or something? Do you want to improve your maps for a game that relies on grid combat, like GURPS or D&D?

If you want to make maps that look pretty good for dungeon mapping to use at a physical table with lots of rich image assets and you print everything out for us in color, then something like Dungeondraft is pretty okay. Otherwise, a free image editor should be fine.

If you want to make battle maps that fit your specific vision on a virtual tabletop software that already allows for a grid projection like Roll20 or Tabletop Simulator, then I think you could take map assets and throw them onto there and do the grid projection and call it a day. "2 Minute Tabletop" is great for this and rather than spend time making my own maps, I stitch together maps and then use multicolored pens to customize or link them in a virtual tabletop.

Campaign Cartographer 3 is mostly intended if you want to create things for publications and is mostly a CAD program. The "Tome of Ultimate Mapping" is very useful for teaching it, but it's primarily making publication-grade material and it requires a lot of time to learn and prepare maps. It's 'worth it' if you want to commit to making money with map design, but for everyday map creation tableside, I agree probably not worth it.

For world maps, that also again depends. Wonderdraft is great, I hear good things about Inkarnate, but I also randomly generate world maps via Dwarf Fortress and then either redraw them for world maps or use as-is.

Do Wonderdraft or Inkarnate or the like have any plugins for Modern/Cyberpunk stuff or is all fantasy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Re: session count - I got into a discord D&D campaign at the beginning of the pandemic that ran for like 2+ years, once a week, at about 3 hours a throw. I started late with the group and got in at level 6 and by the time the campaign concluded my guy was level 18. I had an Eldritch knight Dwarven archeologist, researching the intersection of ancient cultures and their precursor magics on his quest to become tenured at the college he worked for.

I miss having a game, were that my free time not been taken up with other things I'd try to run my own D&D campaign again.

Did anyone besides me buy the Candela Obscura core book since it released yesterday? I absolutely adore the Crit Role games of it and it seems like it'll be fairly lightweight and easy to teach to newbies.