Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Chaosium just reported Steve Perrin's death. Steve was the original designer of Runequest (and effectively the BRP ruleset). He was a cool dude who I first met at an SCA event back in 1974.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogvale-and-farewell-steve-perrin-1946-2021/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

side_burned posted:

I am looking for a recommendation on a post-apocalyptic campaign, something really close to Fallout in both tone and setting. I did this ten year ago using Savage Worlds which was fine but I would prefer something a little more crunchy.

Joke answer: Aftermath or The Morrow Project

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

pog boyfriend posted:

literally just add the meyers briggs personality thing in directly and you have a 7 dimensional alignment

You joke, but the RPG Reich Star used Meyers-Briggs as a major part of character creation.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm a grog (see the Scarlet 'G' as my avatar that someone gave me years ago) and I am not a fan of 5e

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

CitizenKeen posted:

This would just be a Black Company show, yeah?

I would love to see the first trilogy on screen.

I would also love to see a caper/heist based Shadowrun series.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I have almost full sets of the KULT CCG, Shadowrun CCG, Jyhad (The original Bampire CCG), Daedalus's Shadowfist, Doomtrooper, and Heresy. I had a serious problem.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Shadowfist was bloody great.

It still is.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Man, I'm going to have to search out my card boxes now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dawgstar posted:

In the Feng Shui RPG if you played a cyber-gorilla and didn't have a pun monkey name you got docked an experience point. Fortunately I immediately came up with McKilla Gorilla so it was fine.

I had Mighty Carl Young (Team Heavy Weapons and Psychotherapy)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

on the one hand yeah, that's rad

on the other hand as a video game it might have stood out in a good way, but as a TTRPG it kind of seems like it's competing with Unknown Armies

it could still be good but they have their work cut out for them

Unknown Armies is hosed up people trying to gain power with hosed up methods. The Secret World is not so hosed up people with power trying to defend the world.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

y'all are interpreting my post like i was saying "they're exactly the same" and then explaining why Unknown Armies is better

i'm well aware that Unknown Armies is better, that's why i made the post :v:

UA is a great thought experiment, but an awful game. My life in the real world is trash, why do I need to gamify it?

Splicer posted:

There's way better space games out there than starfinder.

Tulip posted:

Out of curiosity, what ones do you really like? The ones I've any familiarity with are all pretty much hacks of non space games and to my mind kind of lack an independent identity (e.g. Transit is very AW derived, Scum & Villiany is very BITD, and LANCER has its relationship with DND).

Mothership... :getin:

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 24, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Alien RPG from Free League Publishing is great and they also have their own sci-fi book that uses the same system, Coriolis.

It is really good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Coolness Averted posted:

Spire is 100% my jam, and Heart was a good iteration and improvement of its rules. Most of the folks I'll be running this for were in my Spire game and it was clear they really wanted to able to kill stuff and get loot or more tangible rewards for doing stuff vs advancing an agenda or playing as freedom fighters in a morally grey world.
They also were really into the sections of the Spire game that touched on the Heart's weirdness, so I think Heart might be a better middleground, but some times players don't want games about loss and being on the edge of society and reality, they just wanna wear wizard hats or hit poo poo with axes.
Based on what's on my shelf and/or what I can get my players to buy into and a few other criteria 13th Age is a decent backup for "Ok, fine you'd rather play D&D murder hobos, here's a system that won't bore me to tears or be a headache even if it's not my ideal genre."

My usual group of players is all about the hit things with axes/wear wizard hats/wear power armor/do physical stuff/roll dice as much as possible/get loot (to be honest, most of the time, I am too). PbtA, FATE, and any other games of that style are pretty much non-starters, and getting them to play anything that's not d20 based is a difficult sell (except for Shadowrun 3e weirdly).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Serious question: replace ability scores with what? Just skills?

The original Star Wars game from West End did pretty much that, and it worked decently well with handfuls of d6s. So much so, that they pivoted to basing most of their licensing deals to use that same system.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
My group has been gaming together for over twenty years and a few of the players in it I've been playing D&D with for over forty. Games get canceled whenever real life pops up, but we've been playing reliably once or twice a week for over two decades.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

You're correct on that. It's mostly tables, because charts are good at representing overall patterns in information for a surface-level understanding and, say, quickly telling which bar graph is higher and which are very small compare to the other bars, but bad for reading out precise information.

That said, RPGs should use more tables and charts, because visual representations of information can greatly help understanding.

Which of course means that Leading Edge Games and Iron Crown Enterprises are the most educational publishers ever!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Dream Pod 9 also did a really neat fighting card game called Video Fighter that was packaged in a VHS tape case and when they were still Ianus Publications released some truly weird supplements for R. Talsorian's Cyberpunk including Night's Edge, Grimm's Cybertales, and the Media Junkie and Necrology scenarios.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

Brancalonia.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
In 1999 they released a Starcraft RPG using the Alternity rules at the same time they released the Diablo themed ADD 2e box set.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Kestral posted:

There... There was?! I need this. Any idea what it was called, or where it might be available now?

https://www.stellarrealmsgames.com/starcraft

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, it's a d20 roll-under system. If your skill is 12, it's actually 12/6/3; rolling under 6 gives you a better success and under 3 would be a critical. Positive and negative modifiers are handled by rolling a second die that steps up or down.

A lot of games from the 80s strove to make success and failure more complex than pass/fail, and they mostly accomplished this by having some kind of Master Action Table that was consulted for every roll. This gives you some complexity without the table.

Kinda reminds me of Talistanta's system, which is a different basic mechanic, but measures critical fail/fail/success/total success/critical success with a single d20 roll.

Top Secret/SI used a system where you rolled d100 under a target number and the one's digit could be used for damage or hit location or a bunch of other stuff. Crits were based on a percentage of your chance (10%) so if you had a 50% than 01-05 was a crit. Fumbles were a flat 96-00 I think.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Shadowfist probably did the best pre-con decks. They were all absolutely playable and you could win with them against custom decks.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

PerniciousKnid posted:

My GM style is high schooler desperately winging his book report.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Parkreiner posted:

I have sat in on two different attempts by geopolitics wonks to run Dracula Dossier and seen them both admit defeat. Perhaps one day there will be a third.

Conversely, I have tried and failed to run Chuubo’s and admitted defeat, let alone Glass-Maker’s Dragon (and I’ve run Nobilis and WTF). I’ll likely try again someday.

I made the decision that Chuubo's was an art piece rather than an actual game. Beautiful, fantastically well-made, and should be viewed and studied rather than played with.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Helical Nightmares posted:

drat straight. The 90's roleplaying scene would have been utterly different without her writings. RIP.

Different and probably better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Warthur posted:

Unpack this, please? Given that V:tM inspired an influx of people into tabletop RPGs who would not have otherwise seen it, I am curious about what advantage you see here which outweighs the potential loss of recruitment.

I think 1990s White Wolf's near-open contempt for system was probably bad from a design perspective, mind. But a backlash of that sort was inevitable given the excesses of high-complexity low-fun 1980s designs.

I knew Mark (pre-Rein) Hagen in college and he was a pretentious dick then. Seeing his ego expand as WoD got popular and what he did to his 'friends' (names and details redacted because their lives became poo poo after that) pissed me off so much it's stuck with me for over thirty years.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Just finished a Weapons of the Gods campaign

Games I want to run:
Mutant Chronicles 3e
Tales of Gargentihr
John Carter
Qin
Cyberpunk RED
Twilight 2K (new edition)
Vaesen
Blue Planet again
And just because I kind of miss them; one of the old FGU games like Daredevils, Psi World, Flashing Blades, or even Space Opera or Aftermath

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LaSquida posted:

How'd that Weapons of the God's game go?

Great. Once you get into the rhythm, combat is a breeze. The players loved that the Lore sheets tied them into the background of the world and really started getting into the Chinese Drama vibe. It ended in a spectacular battle with the party leader winning the final faceoff but still dying gloriously and tragically just like the player wanted to.

edit: I would also like to play or run, Lex Arcana, Broken Compass, and the new Aliens RPG

and of course...

Spellpunk Cyberfight

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 20, 2021

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

As is much of the GM advice, it seems.

It does have some of the best overall GM advice I've ever seen in a published product

SOURCE: I bought a copy and it is well worth the moneys.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

It's funny, since in every other field I've ever heard of, that's what an edition is and a complete rewrite is something else.

I wanted to start a conversation about something: Why aren't there more and more successful science fiction RPGs, and why is there no generally-recognized flagship for the genre? It seems like fantasy dwarfs sci-fi, in sales and the ease of finding a game running, outside of a couple big franchises.

There are no hard-and-fast statistics available, but from what I can gather, these are the most commercially successful sci-fi RPGs (in no particular order):

Traveller
Star Wars (both WEG and FFG)
Cyberpunk
Shadowrun
Rifts
Warhammer 40K
Gamma World 7th Edition
?Possibly Star Frontiers, Paranoia, and Battletech

I assume a big part of the problem is that science fiction is, practically speaking, much broader than fantasy. Aficionados can talk for days about the differences between fantasy franchises, but I think that e.g. LOTR, the Rings, the Dying Earth, ASOIAF, The Witcher, Wheel of Time, Moorcock's Young Kingdoms, and several other franchises I could name have a lot in common. You could put a D&D style "adventuring party" in all of these settings and the players could have a certain set of expectations in place. Even within far future sci-fi, you can't go from like Dune to Foundation to the Forever War in the same way.

That said, there's a clear preference for three subgenres: over-the-top post-apocalypse, cyberpunk dystopia, and "space truckers wandering a cosmopolitan galaxy." But no franchise has dominated the market and served as the flagship RPG for sci-fi the way D&D continues to dominate fantasy. (Traveller did when there were few other options, but it was eventually overtaken by Star Wars.)

I have run every single one of those except Paranoia, 40K, Battletech, and Gamma World 7e (I've run up to 3e) along with a poo poo-ton more including stuff like Metascape, Domination/Sabot and Laser, and other systems that most sensible people have never heard of. I prefer SF/SpaceOpera/Space Fantasy to High/Swords and Sorcery/Epic fantasy in both fiction and gaming and really enjoy the variety of the various SF settings, partially because I also really enjoy learning new rule sets --that is not a joke. I actually do.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Dawgstar posted:

Happily RED is very good, even great.

They did clean up a lot of the crap from previous editions, Adding fantasy elements would doable. Back in the 90s, Ianus Publications (now known as Dream Pod 9) came out with a Cyberpunk 2020 supplement called The Night's Edge sourcebook which had vampires, werewolves, and psychic powers that were actually pretty well balanced.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

Eclipse Phase is the closest thing we got to a Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita rpg.

Jovian Chronicles can do Gundam pretty well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Serf posted:

I agree with what GimpInBlack said above. The only way to improve is to work on the skill, and you gotta have people who are willing to do that with you. I generally preface every campaign (because I like to run a lot of new systems) with something like "this is my first time running this system, so things could be slow or rough to begin with. If you know something I don't, feel free to jump in" that sort of thing. And I regularly poll my players to see how they're enjoying things and ask what's working and what isn't.

Also I feel you on the Paizo AP thing. I'm currently strip-mining Agents of Edgewatch for a campaign I'd like to run and whoo boy there are some choices that got made when they were writing this thing.

I've been running these stupid games for almost 50 years (Seriously. I ran my first campaign of D&D in 1975 with the original 3 books and Chainmail). Like Serf, I really enjoy learning and running new systems and I make sure that my group (some of which I've been gaming with for 40+ years) is cool with the initial sessions being a feeling out of how things work and if they figure out something, to tell me and the rest of the group.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
There's always been Professor M.A.R. Barker in this hobby.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Necessary Evil (the first Savage Worlds superhero thing) had all the heroes be flat out captured or killed by alien invaders and the only supers left were 2nd and 3rd string villains who had to save the world.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Some really good handling of an off-the wall situation

Great job. You did the right things.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Running an Earthdawn game for the first time since the 90s. Such a weird system.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Everything Counts posted:

No, completely different system, even when they were both owned by one company. It's a fantasy prequel but in terms of setting it's different enough that you couldn't just plug the splats from one into the other.

I'm currently running it for a group of four, most of whom haven't played RPGs before and none of whom had heard of Earthdawn. This was, debatably, one of the worst decisions I've ever made--I definitely should have eased them in with something with less mechanical crunch--but we all got to a point where we're enjoying ourselves.

My group loves crunchy games and they're having a blast. And I'm running 4e, but converting the old Parlainth books from 1e to use them too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

dwarf74 posted:

Man, that brings me back. I've still got my whole collection. I ran and played the hell out of that game in the 90's.

The original has some uh... balance wonkiness... And it has a giant talent list of which 2/3 is hot garbage... But I still have the step table pretty well memorized.

It seems to be holding up okay so far. The way Talents are being handled as Magical versions of the Skills works pretty drat well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Toshimo posted:

Honestly, PC XP is almost completely vestigial in D&D at this point. Their Organized Play doesn't use it. Their recent 1st-party adventure books don't really use it. I can't remember the last game I've seen in the wild that used it. It's just milestones now, in other words, "You level up when the DM says you do".

My group has been using that style of leveling in 3.0/3.5/PF1 for years now.