Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

aldantefax posted:

Does anybody have suggestions for effectively sorting and storing RPG books?
Probably obvious but top level sorting should be alphabetically by game system, then by edition within systems, then within each edition go from general to specific. Core rulebooks first, supplements after; the less broadly applicable a book is to the system, the further to the end it goes. Books that continue earlier books go with those ("Monster Manual 2"). I'd also separate third party stuff within sections. If you've got a lot of published adventures set them up in their own subsection. Sortings that make sense include by PC level they're written for, by the area they're set in - that kinda depends on how you personally use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sorting by genre sounds totally valid. Sorting by a clear formal aspect has the advantage of cutting down on edge cases (it seems you're already running into trouble thinking of Spire), but it comes down to how you approach your collection.

I would definitely set the inspirational stuff and artbooks up in a separate section and sub-sort by... anything that makes sense to you personally, really. I'd probably do something like artbooks (sub: source i.e. paintings, video game art, fantasy art etc.), photography, poetry and so on, but you might want to have a level above that that might be genre, or time period, or subject...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.
I run Schrödinger's 13th Age game. It might still be on and it might not.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

LatwPIAT posted:

I've had lots of fun playing Hearts with friends and I've had some fun with Skat, but I have a particular loathing in my heart for President, which is just the worst. Here's roughly how it goes.

Someone proposes we all play President. You, having not played President, agree because card games are fun, right? So cards are dealt, you play the first round, and because you're not the most experienced player at the table you lose. The person who proposed playing President or one of their friends who immediately said 'yes' ends up winning, because they've played it lots.

You are now the Bum. The Bum has to trade their two highest card for the President's two lowest cards. It's a trick-taking game and there aren't all that many special tricks or trumps, so mostly you sit there with your terrible hand and lose the second round.

You are still the Bum.

Then you lose the entire game, because you're playing against more experienced players at a disadvantage it's really difficult to get rid of.

I have no positive experiences of playing President. Like, with Hearts, I gently caress up and lose, but I can see that I was in the exact same position as everyone else, so it felt fair that I lost. With President, a bad hand or inexperience in the first round leads to a fairly persistent disadvantage and it just feels kinda lovely to play for me.

(The out is supposed to be that playing a low double or triple can lock out everyone else form playing higher cards and taking the trick, so as the Bum you have a slightly higher chance of getting low doubles/triples, but at the same time you're always at a disadvantage for taking tricks by playing high cards.)
This seems like one of those games like Monopoly where people forgot it was originally supposed to teach you what capitalism does.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A wand to me is an instrument that requires some finesse. You twirl it around in intricate patterns, use it to draw runes and symbols in the air or to lightly touch whatever you cast a spell on. Easy to store, to conceal and to draw. It feels defensive and mobile.

A staff says I'm here and I'm a wizard come at me, it's completely unsubtle. You hold it in the air and the end glows or you slam it into the ground. You can also hit someome with it. Maybe a staff user would also know some melee spells, similar to the sword guy. You're gonna carry it visibly at all times, it's cumbersome, you have to find a place to store it if you ever don't need it.

Wand is a dagger, staff is a broadsword, whatever those two imply for you for a fighter type should probably carry over to magic types.

Other associations: young casters use wands, old casters use staffs. Both are phallic to a degree so there's merit to the thought of both being the same type implement mechanically, and something else altogether is the other type (orb?). Also there are languages where both translate to the same word and it's near impossible to draw a distinction without some verbal acrobatics, if that's a concern for you :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

See, this is the problem with American wizard schools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-2ZxldMO-M

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gotta admit though: that's an A+ name. Superfluously spelled with an i but a solid idea.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

actually more like a D+ name

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

just realized she's a Dragonborn as well, I guess that's not a point of contention anymore

e: I also legitimately quite enjoy that Hatchet Hand also has a cutlass, like it's not even crossed his mind that he's already got a weapon

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 3, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's a good point. What are 10 more items on the list really gonna add to the process for your players? Throw out the 10 least interesting ones, and your game can only get better for it. Or if you can't decide which those are, roll a virtual d110 ten times.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

aldantefax posted:

Yeah, it is all somewhat exhausting and really for awhile I just completely disengaged from the hobby as a result, but now that I'm "back into it", so to speak.
I'd like to think no one's going to hold it against you if you buy a thing you like and don't do exhausting research on the writer and every collaborator in advance.

e: this comes off as way more sarcastic than it's meant, it's really no, like, personal failing or anything to not know every creator's politics or criminal record or what have you, doubly so in a hobbyist sphere like RPG writing.

or even, dare I say, to know them and decide you still want the thing. I mean, depending, obviously. If you're eyeing some Proud Boy's Crusaders: The RPG I'm personally judging the hell out of you.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 4, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can't stop you.
So now between sessions my washed up war reporter Media is interviewing it to figure out what the hell it's been doing the last 20 years, and whether letting a shipboard AI that led a worker's revolution and executed the officers on board get transferred on land to take over a factory or something is wise.

What could possibly go wrong?
There are some complex socioethical concerns involved in workers owning the means of production when the means of production are sentient and have free will.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

May not fully apply to the ren fair conceit but:

Tunnel of Love. The infamous potion as a fairground ride.

Off to the side an amateur company is putting on Shakespeare. Unbeknownst to anyone, the Puck is the real deal.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love this idea of baking in an AI or any sort of decision making system into an enemy stat block, I mostly run published adventures these days and it's a pain having to look over a predefined encounter to work out a battle plan and then keeping that present in your mind for maybe 3-4 encounters in a session. More than once I started running a battle only to realize one enemy had an ability that was cool but that would have required another step of prepping and that I absolutely wasn't going to bother with now.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Personally I wouldn't even apply for a game like that if I wasn't at least somewhat familiar with the IP. I think that's perfectly fine. I almost feel like it's more important to make clear how closely you want to stick to established stories and canon and with the large ones, especially which.

Say you run a Star Trek game, as a potential player I'd be wondering: which Star Trek? Is it explicitly TNG era, Voyager era, TOS era, and if yes to any of those, do we treat the others as canon also; do we get to influence "canon" events, like can we keep Captain Picard from ever becoming Borg or is that going to happen no matter what; is That One Guy going to be in the game who says we can't do a thing because it contradicts page 147 in some novelization...

e:

quote:

Edit: I mean I guess it also sorta goes along with similar questions like "is it bad if I outline the exact kind of player I'm looking for, instead of being welcoming for anyone to apply"? Like, if I were wanting to run a sandbox Traveller campaign set on a free trader, I would of course be wanting to prioritize players with a higher degree of fondness for trade campaigns and an innate love of Excel. Or if I were wanting to run Apocalypse World, I would prioritize players who constantly ooze narrative and want to be a bit more "serious" about their roleplaying, etc. I just don't know if laying stuff like that out there in the LFG post is dickish, snobby, and gatekeepey, because I can't shake the feeling that it kinda is?
Ah okay; in that case I'd say, let anyone apply who wants to apply. You're still going to make the decision anyway, maybe you get an application you like you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Although a quick word on the gameplay style you're going for certainly wouldn't go amiss either way.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 11, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It occurs to me that "you will literally be the senior officers of the Enterprise-D in Star Trek TNG, create your character and choose your position, any unfilled will be the characters from the show" would be a pretty great setup for a game that tells you everything you need to know about the level of involvement and canon-sticking.

also gives the DM a hundred and seventy-eight adventure hooks

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 11, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It seems to me that if "sperging" is a slur, then ":spergin:" as the visual embodiment of the word/idea must necessarily also be considered one. The image itself carries meaning; surely if people write things like "lol stop :spergin: about smilies you goon" that is the main problem no matter what string they use behind the scenes to call up the image. Honestly this one in particular seems a pretty single-purpose smilie if you get right down to it no matter what tag it has.

As well as that, for how many years people round here have been using ":spergin:" when they wanted to write "sperging"; if we redefine what the smilie means now we'll retroactively change the intent behind all those posts and, in a way, pretend it never meant anything else that whatever harmless new name we give it. I'd rather preserve these old posts as they are even if what they are is lovely, that way we have mistakes to point to and say "we've moved on from that in particular."

You know what I mean? I just can't help but picture some new guy in 5 years reading old threads* and going "wow, people have been using that sweet :singleminded: smilie for a long time, this must have always been a real friendly and inclusive place"

*I do realize that scenario is being optimistic about several things

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whybird posted:

I think the point is more that giving them another word they can say which carries all the same negative connotations -- which is effectively what renaming the smiley would do -- doesn't make things any better, it just means a different word is now bad.
Yeah, I think whatever we'd rename :spergin: to will become the new disparaging shorthand for "someone who obsesses about stuff" and morph into the new slur for folks who are neuro-atypical in this specific way. I'm 100% confident in this because that's how it's been with slurs and the acceptable words that replace them for decades. By no means will it be a sudden switchover but it's going to happen over some time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pedant is excellent. One I need to remind myself to use more often when the situation calls for it. And it comes from nothing worse than "teacher/schoolmaster" if wikipedia is to be believed (although in a few years we'll probably get "it's disdainful towards the idea of education and science" :v:).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do feel I should point out that the smilie itself is, if I recall correctly, literally the illustration for Asperger Syndrome from something like an old medical brochure. :v:

also I've been privately thinking of overly literal-minded, hyperfocused on technicalities people as "engineers". Like if I go on stackexchange and someone constructs the peasant railgun I roll my eyes and think "don't be such a loving engineer about it".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fugu, huh

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

even if you can breathe, fire is going to not work very well, while electrical attacks will work differently.
That in particular is something you'll want to work out with your group in advance. There are a lot of expectations around it; any way you can play it is valid*, from "mechanical effects stay the same by some amount of handwaving" to "yes fire is useless and lightning is king in this environment, prepare accordingly", but you want to make sure you're on the same page. If your pyromancer player is moping because they think their spells will be worthless even though you privately decided they'll work the same by boiling the water, or if your sorcerer player is gleefully rubbing their hands and retraining all spell slots into lightning bolts even though you have measures in mind to keep them from becoming the Win Button According To Physics, or indeed if you notice your sorcerer player doesn't realize they can have a Win Button because you made up a whole environmental effect for lightning, it's already a bit late for the talk.

*in the absence of the game system providing special rules, obviously

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pulled the plug on my two-year Eyes of the Stone Thief game. I posted a lot about our scheduling difficulties last thread, just reread the stuff to convince myself this was the right move and yeah, loving sucks but it totally was.

Plot twist: this time it wasn't scheduling but one player throwing an enormous swearing fit about a fight that he said was completely unfair just like half of the fights they ever had and I'd say went badly for a round but would probably have turned around right away. We had a talk, he apologized and agreed he was out of line, we even agreed to meet again, roll back that entire fight and go a different route, but I mulled it over for a day, and especially night, and figured, nah, not really in the business of taking hours of prepping time out of my days to risk provoking five minute yelling shitfits anymore, if I ever was.

I think, on reflection, the basic problem always was that I had players who were dead set against sacrificing anything. Like, not just "it's poo poo if my character dies randomly" or "it's poo poo if a rust monster eats my sword" but also "it's poo poo if we take damage or have to spend daily spells." And it was starting to be like, if I can't sell you on the low stakes and the ebb-and-flow of a regular combat, how can I sell you on the high stakes of the plot?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I honestly don't even know where the daily spell thing came from this time, the wizard player usually chucks out evoked (maximized) fireballs at the slightest provocation and has completely neutralized more than one fight that way, but apparently when for once you're properly outnumbered 3:1 that's the time for single target at-will spells.

Mostly: I can even see their point because I've been having my own issues with how the system is set up. Just, let's talk about it, maybe at one of the opportunities your DM says yo guys we still feelin' this (because you keep cancelling sessions and he's starting to wonder).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

canyoneer posted:

oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Skip it or get it from the library instead
No way to win I'm afraid, if everyone gets it from the library it'll be constantly checked out, flagged as high demand and they'll buy a second copy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wish two of my players weren't always so passive in responding to mails cause right now I don't know if they accepted me shutting the campaign down and are making plans for next time, or if they're still processing me shutting it down, or if they're in fact only going to learn about it the night before our next online meeting.

I'm learning to categorize that kind of stuff as Their Problem tho

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My latest new player is so endearingly concerned with realism in his ability scores :3:

he's making a 120 year old human mage and was like "I'd like a bit more HP but it feels like cheating the system to give him 14 CON just for HP, he's 120 years old, he'll be frail as hell"
"Think about it this way: how are you even gonna make it to 120 if you don't have incredible constitution?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Trying to get a new game off the ground where I told my group, I'd like you to be working for one of the big heroic NPCs or at the very least be the kind of "neutral" where you actively abstain from random murder and treachery and whatnot, cause by now it's kinda been there, done that, and one of them thought up a former inquisitor while the other is "waffling between gutter runner and plague priest" and I'm like guys seriously.

not remotely actually a Warhammer game by the way

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my new D&D game my prospective Skaven player adjusted his concept towards being more party-friendly but still a rat person, mechanically simply a reflavoured halfling, and we said what the heck, halflings in our world are just ratfolk now, makes it all a little more unique. Then we hashed out the details and I got a sinking feeling as I realized we were making a race of literal rat people who were facing prejudice for their association with disease and pestilence, and who were, in a society modelled after medieval Europe, also traditionally that society's merchants and traders.

Better just gloss over one of those aspects entirely I think

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That seems like design goal.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Wir sind das Volk
Hwoof that has kind of become an unfortunate name I'm sad to have to say, in the late 80s it was the parole of peaceful protesters against the oppressive East German government but now it's more the parole of right-wingers who specifically want to invoke the image of peaceful protesters against the oppressive German government that acts against the will and best interest of the people (i.e. obviously the white people)

I mean, nothing wrong with using it per se, and especially in a clear cold war context, but it's the old dilemma of how you keep the fascists from occupying symbols while actively refraining from using the same symbols as the fascists.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

To start with, here are the rules for mounted combat. Treating the Goliath as an independent mount seems to be the least-effort method to represent them working as a unit. This kind of thing actually tends to mess with the rules quite a bit, ruling it like this would have the benefit of being established precedent in the game rules rather than something you make up. Having your mount be another PC is a bit dicey, but... give it a go and see if it works for you as a group or if it causes any unexpected issues.

It would fit with these rules to make the major effect of the halfling's disability "you can only spend half your speed". This way they could still move around independently, and they could still dis- and remount. Just not both at the same time. This is probably also not too debilitating, nor would I think it paints the character as less of a person.

It also strikes me that a thematically appropriate complication for a hunter of undead who has to deal with a literally dead limb is that it could fall under necromantic control. What any given necromancer could do controlling an enemy's leg, as opposed to an arm for which there is plenty of precedent in stories like Evil Dead and so on, is up to their own creativity (stopping their movement and kicking the goliath both come readily to mind).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Double post but it just occurred to me, if anything does paint the halfling as less of a person, it would be the player's (I assume) own idea of being dependent on another person for getting around.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It seems to come down to:

Do you, as a player, want to create a hook for your character to experience adversity specifically because of their disability? Then you probably need some kind of mechanic that sets them apart from other characters, that will allow the DM to directly target it, and that may not properly represent the way your character's disability would work or impact them in the real world and may in fact be overly reductive. You may also find that you're representing disability as something that primarily creates disadvantages; it's your call whether that is more of an issue than D&D's baked in systems already creating disadvantages for characters who are extraordinarily weak, clumsy or stupid, or for that matter, for entire sentient species designated as adversaries.

What you get out of it includes opportunities for narrative tension that stem from a player choice, an element unique to your character, the feeling of making the gameworld your own and representing disability in your game.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 22, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

strong anti-undead precedent too

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well the fish are magically contaminated without exception but on the other hand ugh wild garlic fish so good

look. One small fillet every now and then can't possibly do any harm, right? Yes yes we all know the dragon spume story listen just try this fish it is seriously loving amazing

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pick a game that works well in a format where the DM sets a scene and the players respond in whichever order, i.e. D&D with its dependency on a strict initiative order doesn't work all that super well. You rarely want to have to wait for a particular player to give their input, and players should be able to call up the PbP thread at pretty much any point and add something to the proceedings.

I do not know of such a system but I am feeling like GBS' CYOA system is generally a bit of a better setup :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lou Zocchi, wasn't it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With my group it's always much more about mechanics than anything else. When we used to play D&D 3.5 we always had all-human parties. Same with 13th Age. Now we started on D&D 4E again where there's strong mechanical support for different races being their own thing, rather than them feeling like an offshoot of humans as a neutral baseline, and what do you know: not a single human in the party and even the one guy who plays a halfling reskinned him to be more exotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Personally I'm pretty okay with the main part of the pitch being "tactical game".

I will say, more-or-less standard fantasy has you immediately picture swords and bows and magic, i.e. a natural-feeling mix of close quarters and ranged fighting. Unfortunately standard fantasy also has you picture It's Okay To Slaughter The Nonhumans, My Medieval Fencing Handbook Describes A Sword Strike Differently, and Yes But How Much Would A Turnip Really Have Cost In The 13th Century.