Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have a Roll20 question. So, with regards to the character sheets, if I'm a standard user (not sure if premium users get additional options in this regard) and I already have a group using specific R20 character sheet, if I was to change that game's character sheet in the game settings*, will that wipe the current/old character sheets, or will they still exist? (Sorry if I haven't phrased my question too well)

* Since it's not that good a character sheet template. I'm hoping one of the other options will be better, since it looks like there are a few options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mirage posted:

I just tested and it looks like it keeps the character but wipes the sheet. Went from PF2e to 1e and all that's left is the name.

That may depend on the sheet, but that's a big, huge, load-bearing "may" there.

E: Just went back and most of the info was still there.

Hmm, OK then - thanks for that! I might need to back it all up before testing, I guess. Thanks again!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Nessus posted:

Which kind of dwarf is strongest?

Personally, I think the 'lightly buzzed' sort is the toughest! A bit of alcohol in the system so that they're confident, but not drunk enough to be passed out in a puddle of vomit :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Agreed on this -- if you don't know the temperament of your players, high-death gaming has a decent chance of putting someone off. I'd do a straightforward one-shot without a ton of moving parts.

Yeah, for sure. Give them a taste of True Power(tm) in a one-shot and then once you've got 'em hooked, have some fun with the funnel! I think that's the way to go, personally.
Otherwise with the funnel up-front, well, it might go well - or it might put someone off a little. Since don't forget, these are total newbies that are playing (unless I'm misreading something?) and not veterans of other RPG systems - so that first impression could make a big difference. Good luck though Heel, either way! Sounds like fun

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sebmojo posted:

reading call of cthulhu 7th ed - is this ok in play? it seems insanely fiddly and awkward with degrees of success and special dice and impales and crit fails and successes but different crit fails depending on how hard the thing you're trying to do is

I always remember CoC as being fairly straightforward, which I appreciate when you're plumbing the brobdignagian immensities of the cyclopean ancients or what have u

I'm pretty new to this style of RPG, so just a heads-up - my opinion isn't very helpful on this topic. But personally, I've taken a look at both and play Delta Green rather than CoC-proper (although I've been using the odd CoC scenario) and I very much enjoy it. I kinda prefer DG's slight changes in rules though, like with that 'luck' mechanic not being a thing, along with -much more importantly- the 'home vignette' gamplay segment, which allow characters/players to briefly go through what they're doing in their downtime between missions, improving skills or having a much-needed breather, etc. (Although if you play CoC, you can easily just steal that mechanic from DG)

To me, DG/CoC definitely looks more complicated than what it ends up being, during gameplay. And stuff like 'impale' and whatnot doesn't really happen much/at all, depending on the scenario you pick. If you want more info from actual CoC veterans though, I'd highly recommend poking around in this thread if you're not already aware of it! As those posters are all very knowledgeable on this topic - I pester them all the time, so I'm sure mellonbread and co. won't mind even more questions! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I think I might own too many games.

Woah woah woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here - that is very dangerous train of thought! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I strongly recommend filling multiple bookshelves with games you've never played, because you don't think you can sell a group on them or because they suck, and then just sort of quietly appreciating them with a faint melancholy in your heart

:unsmith: yeah, that's the life for me

Seriously though, it's pretty good when you actually get to try one out though, and discover that it's actually pretty good! I've definitely slowed down on buying new games quite significantly though, due to not having time to play all my current shelf-warmers. Since these days I'm leaning back towards TTRPGs, over new board games.
Delta Green currently, with the possibility of Lancer on the horizon. I've heard of Savage Worlds of course, but never played it. I quite like flexible (for lack of a better word) systems like DG, Mutants and Masterminds, that kinda thing. Compared to more... 'rigid' ones like D&D, I mean

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

should have let them die, told them they won, and they continue as the mirror party, deeply concerned about their reality

:hmmyes: yeah, that's a good idea. Then just continue happily as per normal (meanwhile, the players are glancing at one another, very concerned about this turn of events!)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tulip posted:

20-40 sessions seems like a hell-slog of campaign to me. At 10 sessions most people I know are sick of their characters, the ruleset, the setting, or all three.

Wait, really? Ten?! Out of curiosity, how long are the sessions you play? And how much is eaten up by unrelated chat? I've played with the same group+characters for around three years (we finished the campaign and started a new one recently) playing each week - and we were still keen to continue.

Same for the other campaigns I've played. We tend to only play in evenings/afternoons though, so not full-day affairs, which would probably accelerate campaign-fatigue, somewhat.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nessin posted:

Delta Green - Not a fan of Cthulhu mythos but was sold on the concept of extending the horror from the pulp to the terrible human poo poo we have to do to keep people safe angle.

Seconding Delta Green. I'm pretty new to GMing (started a DG campaign around the start of the year. Before that, nothing) but we've been having fun with DG! I'm not super big on typical Cthulhu-esque stuff either, to be honest. However as Tarnop said, it can do a real good job of creating an X-Files kinda feel, rather than being a regular Cthulhu setting.

That being said though, it CAN also borrow a lot from Call of Cthulhu, if you like. For example, I've taken a bunch from one of the bigger CoC campaigns and stripped some of the links to the greater Cthulhu Mythos out of it, so that it's more of a standalone 'great one' typed entity, without any solid/obvious evidence of other similar entities currently in existence. (Also adding in some hints of this thing's influence in one or two otherwise unrelated missions, if players can find them)
So that forms the foundation of the overarching campaign, with standalone side missions and mini-arcs, etc. interspersed between. (Now that I think about it, the campaign's "villain" kinda reminds me of the two main Big Bads from the Black Company books in a way, if anyone here has read them) So a lot of it is regular DG material or stuff I've come up with, but a large part is also repurposed CoC stuff. So yeah, even though you're not a fan of the Mythos, there's still a lot of good material made for CoC that could be leveraged for use in DG. And yeah as you said, the "horror in what we do to keep people safe" is a pretty good part of the system. Even better if the character (and player!) is freaked out and nearly kills a civilian by accident! The group trauma/conversation following that just writes itself, haha :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

nessin posted:

I didn't mean you needed along standing group, I just feel like you're roleplaying a extreme stereotype of a class, roleplaying your actual character, and roleplaying your group dynamic, and the big bad is your actual game master. That's a lot of assumed inbuilt factors to jump into for a group that's never played together. It just feels like trying to play DIE without a group that has at least played a couple sessions of another game would be basically playing a different game, like a hack of DIE instead of DIE itself.

I'd have bought Starsworn if the book was available. Probably will when the next printing hits and it's available again.

I probably could have been clearer, it isn't so much the Cthulhu mythos I have a problem with as the adventures that it dictates. The sort of distant unimaginable sanity destroying horror or eroding/corrupting influence from the distance. I'm more okay with Delta Green because it seems more built to actually confronting the horror versus stopping it and the after effects of all that implies. You go insane from observing the thing in the distance with Cthulhu, whereas you go insane from what you did to stop the thing in the distance with Delta Green. Or at least that's been my interpretation so far.

Ohhu, yep I get ya - I actually feel the same way about that too. You're spot on by the way, as that's precisely how it's been working out for us. It's a good system for that type of gradual sanity loss, IMO. Especially with the 'home vignettes' and 'breakpoint' disorders you can get, which gradually gently caress up your character's home life the more you let things spiral out of control. (Although with the breakpoints, if you're thinking of running a campaign and not one-shots, I'd limit it to one BP per person, per mission),

Man, this talk is just making me want to play more DG, but I'm not likely to be able to before Jan...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Speaking of the usual spots, anyone grab anything interesting on DriveThruRPG for the 40% off GM day's sale?

Not yet, but thank you very much for making me aware of it!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

I really liked ICONOCLASTS for Delta Green. It's got a strong intro, it's the only official scenario for the standalone edition that really feels like an investigation, and it gives a lot of mechanics room to breathe which don't normally come up in scenarios. It's not that long either, which I think is a good thing.

I also liked Beyond the Mountains of Madness, but that's basically the inverse of ICONOCLASTS. The campaign crawls along until you actually get to the mountains, when it briefly opens up before funneling you into the last act. But that moment where you get to explore freely is wonderful, and the revelation at the end is really cool.

Speaking of Iconoclasts, how well do you think it links up with the Kali Ghati scenario? Obviously it's different, but I'm wondering about potentially starting with KG as a "one quick job" situation that inadvertently leads into the whole Iconoclasts debacle, due to the agents being nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

I really dislike Kali Ghati. I think it's a boring railroad with one of the worst combat encounters in Delta Green. The ending is the only thing that comes close to redeeming it. If you've read/played it and fallen in love with it then I won't try to dissuade you, but I don't have any helpful advice for using it as an intro scenario. ICONOCLASTS already has an incredibly strong and fun intro and I don't think it needs another adventure tacked on. I understand that the scenario recommends you run it to cap off a campaign for experienced Agents, but I don't think it works that well for an established group of player characters because the professional and skill requirements are quite strict.

Are you running it for brand new players? That's the only reason I can think of to stick another module in front.

Ah, yeah that's fair - I recall reading mixed opinions about Kali Ghati, now that you mention it. Seems like some don't mind the railroady nature, while others hate it. And well, I'm considering running it as a second campaign for a group of players who I'm already running a DG campaign for, once we finish this one. Just as a change of pace, kinda thing. But yeah, definitely using new characters as you said, since it would feel very weird using their current characters for this kind of campaign.