Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
What does it say about the hobby to be comfortable role-playing a wandering serial killer in every RPG but the idea of your post apocalyptic Hell person making an emotional and physical connection even though you don't have describe it past "you did it" gets everyone shy and apologetic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

hyphz posted:

Because everyone knows I'm not really going to stab my table buddy. I'm certainly not going to fireball them.

But you might gently caress them and so you don't want to roleplay that out beforehand?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Is there a discord for trad games goons? Also, is there a superhero rpg thread?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I could stand to make more enemies

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, but consider the raw game-breaking power of not needing to be severely mentally ill.

Thankfully, that's up for us players to introduce.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Has anybody ever thought to make the alien from alien and the predator from predator fight? i bet that'd be cool.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Did that dragon lance space wizards game for 5e ever come out? I don't think it'd be a good base setting, but it'd at least be not the forgotten realms where drist hangs out with his cat or whatever. I think we've collectively put more time and effort into solving this than wizards has.

edit:

Halloween Jack posted:

I think Dark Sun was also the first time they had a readymade explanation for why psionics wasn't just magic with a different name, which wasn't revisited until 4e clarified the idea of power sources.
Does 5e even have psionics or what?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Whirling posted:

I'm glad Dark Sun isn't ever going to be updated to the 5e ruleset (or 6e? what the gently caress is D&D One), since it feels like WOTC would attempt to file off anything that could be perceived as offensive to dipshits on Twitter

Hell yeah dude, what are you talking about

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Whirling posted:

a lot of words

You've invented someone to be mad at over their hypothetical objections to dark sun.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Antivehicular posted:

At bare minimum, I think slavery as a major setting element should be something discussed at the table first, along with how it might intersect with the narrative.

So many problems can be solved by talking to your friends like adults, but I think it's more important to invent someone who might disagree so we can be mad at them.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I want orcs to be my friends!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Karl Marx posted:

Class struggles are class struggles.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Tarnop posted:

Are there RPGs that do this, it sounds fun. The closest thing that comes to mind is the escalation die in 13th Age

What I liked in hearthstone is that because your resources ramped up every turn you were less likely to get hit with mana drought and you can focus on putting cool cards in your deck instead of plain old planes. It puts a timer on certain things, and makes the strategy better. Not sure how to translate that resource management into a game a human might want to play instead of a ccg. This could be a cool design challenge if those are coming back in style!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

theironjef posted:

One model that's not identical but is at least similar is the Sentinel Comics RPG. There's a sort of escalation mechanic that moves the table and the players individually through Green, Yellow, and Red Zones either as their individual health is knocked down or just as the environment of the fight becomes increasingly chaotic and unstable. Fights start at green and you have green abilities you can use, but when you get to yellow for any reason it changes one of the dice in your regular die pools and unlocks your yellow abilities, then the same for red. The abilities tend to get a little bigger in yellow and way bigger in red to account for how everyone's pulling out all the stops now.

That game gets so much right in terms of game feel for its genre in combat and flops everything else :negative: ... and it's so close to be THE super game for me.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

PerniciousKnid posted:

Oh well, what can you do? The heart wants what it wants.

my heart wants sick fighter tricks and stunts and for the rogue to have a purpose other than 2d6 when stabbing

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
But what about out of combat?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
dnd is trying to be all things and it doesn't nail most of it

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
now do one that's funny

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Would I use a system like Sentinels or Cortex Prime for Jojos puzzle fights? Yes, because they present powers in a way that works for me and have a lot of flexibility built into the system. But they represent power sets in a way that... still fundamentally works with how you just described shonen as working.

Jojo is a rough example here because how are you gonna do Jail House Rock or Mandom or any of the other freak powers people have? I'm not being a dickhead I want to run them in game.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Grant Morrison undefeated Batman writer, that stuff got me hooked on comics it was so fun and dark and deeper than I was expecting

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
See it or don't

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I usually just go for tragic or bastards as my villain motivations in game. That pseudo dragon? Tragic. It's malformed in the image of a dragon but without the spark of the divine. It'd be like finding a doppelganger of you personally that stuck with the brain of a rotwiler and the inscratchable itch that it's missing someone that could make experience life on a deeper level and its gonna try and kill you about it.
That other adventuring group? Those are bastards, they hate you for the smallest slights and live a life where they reasonably can get away with murder.
That skeleton? They're tragic. Standing guard at a crumbling fortress with no relief except the mercy of a cold grave.
That wizard? He's invented crypto currency except magic and he's annoying, kill him to death.

Edit: typos

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Fivemarks posted:

There's nothing baked into Lancer saying you can't be badguys.

Want to play Some Armory Legionnaires? Cool, go do it. MSMC Goons? Go right ahead.

Admittedly, I do find the idea of complaining about not being able to be the bad guys pretty stupid- its like looking at Rocket Age and whining you can't play a dyed in the wool nazi.

There should be something baked into your heart against wanting to play a nazi

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Rand Brittain posted:

Pity there will never be a second edition!

Is this a joke about them being secretly terrible or a joke about some horrible business thing that happened

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
this hobby is full of dudes that suck and a market that also sucks

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Like how pandemic has random elements that make a narrative while you play and plan!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
This was brought up in the TG industry thread and I don't want to detract from the protracted posters war against wizards of the coast, but I don't get why people love alignment in games.
it seems like a bad idea to say "here's objective good/evil and we can measure it" even in a fatnasty setting where devils and gods hang out, especially since the guy who invented alignment is pretty underqualified to speak on it. And outside of that, from a gameplay perspective, i think it restricts more than it adds. i'm kinda hoping someone cool can sell me on it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

whydirt posted:

AW’s sex moves aren’t any weirder than the rampant encouragement of murder and violence in D&D

That's what I'm SAYING

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I've never read or played Masks, but that's the vague impression I've gotten from it. Despite that I've also seen people recommend it as a generic "best superhero game".

It's head and shoulders above its competition because a lot of super hero stuff that masks is emulating, focuses a lot on interpersonal drama and coming of age angst instead of calculating how much real world physics would break if the Flash ran at you and hit you. Mutants and Masterminds and a lot of super hero games like it miss the forest for the trees in that regard, because if you say you want to play a character LIKE Spider-Man you're not just wanting to play a strong guy who zips around, you want to play someone whose work life balance includes a green guy.

edit: that said, masks puts SUCH an emphasis on being a YOUNG hero and teen drama that it's not a gonna be good for a Justice League or Avengers or X-Men or Doom Patrol game.

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 1, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
coming in hot saying that post apocalypse movies don't have sex in them and then revealing that you haven't watched very many and haven't read the book means you have terminal posters brain

also i feel like this is just relitigating the same conversation about Blue Beard's Bride, wherein some people are going why would anybody want to play and ignoring the people who want to play this

i'm burnt on post apocalypse games because everyone i've played is just "Fallout but only the Bethesda parts" which is a crime punishable by death

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
If I wanted all my role-playing games to be universal I'd play gurps (derogatory)

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Nessus posted:

Why would you be an rear end in a top hat to a duck? Just asking for trouble.

I thought your avatar was a two headed swan for a long time but it's just a weird creature and thought this was a fun waterfowl based post

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Leraika posted:

While we're talking about avatars, what's the little guy in yours?

Big Destiny from adventure time. He's basically like a kid friendly Fist of The North Star warlord

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Halloween Jack posted:

Post this poo poo on Twitter or wherever.

There's even a thread for ai empty posting here (for some reason)

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
it's just a notification

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
i also don't leave my phone on silent which is strange to people
my phone has biz markie going "oh snap!" with each notification

Ominous Jazz