Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I also can't think of anyone who enjoyed the "reveal" that the Technocracy are actually just Mages but in denial.
It was never a "reveal", it was the premise of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I think the best start point for campaign 1 should be around episode 23-24, with the start of the Briarwood arc? that starts with episode 3 of the animated series. But I honestly never get into campaign one that much, I prefer the second one.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 1, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kestral posted:

What did Nuns with Guns do to you??? Is this an Inigo Montoya scenario?

It's just one of those "don't watch/read/play this popular thing, watch/read/play this other almost completely equivalent but less popular thing instead!"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This bring me back to 1998.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

theironjef posted:

Yeah, like the first fifteen seconds of the trailer are Michelle Rodriguez using a paving stone to kick the asses of a bunch of guards that have her hands tied up, and imagine how many bullshit rules there are between you and doing that in an actual D&D session.

Disadvantage due the hands tied, since the character is a Barbarian she probably went into rage to tank the attacks and uses reckless attack to balance the disadvantage and hit normally.
The slab of rock is an improvised weapons (so she is doing 1d4+STR+2 damage), and as all objects can be thrown, as shown in the trailer. She probably has the tavern brawler feat, that gives proficiency in improvised weapons and grapple attempt as a bonus action when hitting with an improvised weapon or unarmed attack, like she does.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 24, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

theironjef posted:

She's not tanking attacks because no one else ever makes any. I guess you could write that off as them just missing and the attacks not being shown, but she goes from swinging a rock at a dude's feet to knocking him out with a headshot, getting another guy with the same thrown rock, then wrestles the next two guys down barehanded. Like, I think it's all super awesome, but what it isn't is something you could reasonably do with a D&D barbarian without the DM calling bullshit at any number of points.

Instead it's what D&D would be if it was cooler.

you can use rocks to hit people, you can throw rocks to them, you can pick up the same rock and throw it again, and you can grapple with people and hit them with your fists. You can even trip people if you have Martial Adept talent.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

great now how many of those things are actually effective options that won't have the rest of the table groaning and rolling their eyes

You do it if you need. She is weaponless in that moment.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

how often do you find yourselves in d&d feeling satisfied having your weapon away and dealing a d4 for damage?

any cool stories where that happens?
A fighter of mine used fists and improvised weapons for a whole fight since he was assaulted in a moment he was alone and almost naked, even if I didn't build it to do it well. It is probably one of the fights I remember the most.

Also, it's not 1d4, it's 1d4+STR+2 or 3, depending on the level, if the barbarian is raging. With a 18 on strength that is between 7/8 and 10/11 damage for hit, multiple attacks per round.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 25, 2023

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

You usually can't really kill demons anyway.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Speaking of DnD Movie,
Did everyone get treated to a stupid "you're the real heroes for going to the movies" bit before the film?

Not in italy

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Alderman posted:

Point being, in my own experience descriptions of violence, if framed in a way which highlights that violence is actually bad and hosed up, can very much be a non-starter in a game.

Yeah. I have no problem in normal fantasy action violence descriptions when I play D&D, while I was really disturbed by some stuff I did one of my VtM characters do, even though it was way less violent. Framing and tone are just that important.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Level 10 Warrior Ability: when you successfully attack an enemy, spend 5 hope (the most you can bank) to deal direct HP damage equal to the amount of HP damage you've taken
That is potentially a one-shot kill, right?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Each Power in the Codex domain is literally a book of spells. Low level powers give you 2-3 small effects each, but they all give you 2 stress when you use them? Arcana is general sorcerer like effects: scry, blast, barrier, flight. They are also cheaper.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Splicer posted:

...taken ever???

That you have currently marked.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Ok, that's some caster supremacy BS, but what does it say about using combat powers outside of combat? Because if you are allowed to, then warriors will get like 8 more "hit a guy real hard" abilities while casters will get a variety of cool effects.

Eh, a warrior power at level 1is basically a sight-range teleport

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Next up: the Guardian. Wait a minute, this is a reskinned and more defensively-oriented version of the Barbarian!

Honestly, no. Guardian is a tank/warlord hybrid

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Sounds like Rage to me.

Also, one of the class item options is "A Stone Totem from Your Mentor."

Eh, I can see that. It's just that Valor domain give the Guardian access to just stuff like "Lean On Me" (console a character that has failed an action and clear two stress for both of you), "Critical inspiration" (When you or an ally rolls a critical success on an attac whoever rolled the critical succes can clear an hit point or an additional stress), "Goad on Them" (Make Presence roll against a target to give them stress and force them to attack you), "Support Tank" (when an Ally fails a roll you may spend 2 hope to allow them reroll either Hope or Fear)...

Tarnop posted:

That is an extremely generous reading of that power. Yes, the card says "you can spend a Hope to move anywhere within far range without making an Agility roll to get there". But the intent is pretty clear when you look at the rulebook section on range:

"Far means a distance where one can see the appearance of a person or object, but probably not in great detail-- across a small battlefield or down a large corridor. This is usually about 30-100 feet away. While under danger, a PC will likely have to make an Agility check to get here safely"

I was thinking about 100 feet jumps. From the street to the top of a building, or across a large crevice.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 13, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Then why include lore about these species having super strength or super senses in the first place?

You can add them mechanically as Experiences anyway.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I played a dog once.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The campaign used a fan made GURPS module for JoJo's Bizarre Adventures, and It was set by our GM in the middle ages. It was really loving strange.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

So you were Iggy’s ancestor?

Also, do you have a link to the GURPS JoJo rules?

Not really. It was written in Italian and It was 20 years ago.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Then you're attributes are not "I was born this way", they're "I chose to be this way".

Yeah, so if you don't have success in what you are trying to do, well, it's because you wanted to fail, or you didn't try HARD enough.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's more my complete, utterly failure after 15 years of trying to work in academic world is because I'm, after all, just NOT as brilliant as the other around me, and not because "I didn't try enough", thank you very much.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 15, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Splicer posted:

instead of anyone who wants to play a bruiser type character needing to take high Might, there's just an ability score called Bruiser that's used for unarmed and melee attacks, HP, athletics etc.

Isn't that the same thing?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

If you have that type of Stats, why do you have Stats or Skills at all? Just use class levels for everything.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Splicer posted:

*waves vaguely at all my posts from the past couple of days about why classes and ability scores don't mix* so if I'm asking about ability score variants you can safely assume I'm either having a psychotic break or I'm talking about some manner of points based system where classes aren't a thing.
Also Skills though. If you have Bruiser +3, Conman +2, why having a skill system at all.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Maybe no matter how you try to persuade them they don't care about the McGuffin and they want to do other stuff instead.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Kestral posted:

Other stuff like, run their own game, hopefully. Premise rejection is fine, but you’d better be ready to step up if you’re not going to engage with the concept / structure of the game.

I saw a lot of "nah, that's boring. Let's go to kill some dragon. Are there any rumors about dragons in this town?" in my teenage years.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 31, 2024

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

There was another time, years later, where one of the character, midway in a campaign, decided that the bad guys (a group of cultists) actually had a point and went to their side. Lo and behold, the whole structure of the campaign completely changed in one session completely outside the premise (and of any of my expectations).

The bad guys actually won in the end, by way.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Weren't the Dragonlance novels basically replays of Weis & Hickman's home game?

...at least the first one or two anyway, until the novels kinda overtook the tabletop campaign

I'm quite sure all the main characters of the first books were PCs in their home campaign.

-------

Searching around, I think it went like this:
1) idea for the setting to be published.
2) home campaign testing the setting.
3) later, books based on that campaign.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 7, 2024