Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Zeerust posted:

Are there any good sources for urban / sci-fi combat maps?

I feel like maybe stealing maps from Super Robot Wars would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

It's a ravioli.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I think I mentioned in the old chat thread that I'd be up for it, but idk if you ever followed up on that 'cause holidays.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Attack and dethrone Monopoly imho

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Prophecies as a Narrative Tool by Martin Davico on DMsguild is real good.

e: I would leave the actual mechanics of divination to player preference, though; I wouldn't say that one type of divination is harder or easier or more or less accurate compared to another one because that makes what should be a cool player choice ('I use tarot cards' 'I gaze into the flames' 'I go birdwatching' etc) into a mechanical one.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 7, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

They are shiny and that's important.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

I'm sorry to interrupt pet chat, could I ask a quick question about a few games?

Specifically are any of the following games good:

Blood Red Blossoms- By Rooster games.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/248706/Blood-Red-Blossoms?src=also_purchased

ALL of the Legacy- Life Among the Ruins 2 idea packs- By UFO Press
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/283820/Legacy-Life-Among-the-Ruins--The-Engine-of-Life-Supplement?src=also_purchased
(included the above as an example)

Free from the Yoke- Also UFO Press
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/283821/Free-From-the-Yoke?src=also_purchased

The Wicked Ones- By Bandit camp
http://banditcamp.io/wickedones/

Yokai Hunters Society- By Punkpadour
https://punkpadour.itch.io/yokai-hunter

Thank you very much, and I am sorry if I chose the wrong venue to ask these questions!

Keep safe everyone.

I wrote a brief review of Yokai Hunters Society - the math seemed a little iffy to me but the concept was sound and well-executed in the page space it had.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

playing in a Double Cross game, gearing up to do some small game one-shots when the world/my mental health stops being on fire constantly

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am intrigued by the possibility of change. Stasis is the only true death.

In more down-to-earth news, I'm rereading K6BD and it has made me wonder if anyone has tried Broken Worlds? Is it any good? I got it years ago but I never tried it.

I was in one of the playtests for it. The classes are fun and flavorful but the gameplay itself seems very generic pbta, if that makes sense?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

aldantefax posted:

How come there are no games which expressly have music involved in its fictional context save for the inclusion of bards, I want player characters to have theme songs as part of their principal character design and that means something mechanically, but also same thing for antagonists

one of the fanmade touhou rpgs had 'awesome theme song' as a merit you could take

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yawgmoth posted:

Both are sticks, just let people pick what kind of stick they want.

:emptyquote:

If the fluff doesn't matter to the mechanics (which it doesn't if you're deciding whether to arbitrarily call one a staff and one a wand), then let the players decide.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Jimbozig posted:

There are other mechanics attached to implement choice depending on your class. Sword alchemists smear potions on their blades while staff alchemists hurl flasks of potions lacrosse-style over long distances, etc.

Reskinning is absolutely a thing in my games, so if a player wants to play with wand mechanics but say they have a lightweight staff or whatever, that's absolutely fine. But there does need to be a default for ease of use and new players and just to keep the text understandable.

Players are choosing to go melee, to go ranged power, or to go for a versatile ranged option that isn't afraid of melee. But unlike Strike, this game does have a default setting and default fluff for everything. So it's important to have some grounding for this choice in the fiction even if people can reskin into whatever.

So... which feels like which to you?

It's, again, completely arbitrary, and I've found that saying 'this block of mechanics can only work for a staff and this block of mechanics only works for a wand' only turns off new players who have a specific concept in mind, even if you go 'oh but you can reskin to whatever you want' afterwards. There doesn't have to be a default! You could say 'boosting magic weapon' and 'mobile magic weapon' and get the same result.

Neither feels like a wand or a staff to me, and I suspect further conversation in this vein isn't going to be particularly helpful to anyone.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

great now I wanna make the wizard fgc and wizard shitpost forum games

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

hello, just thinking about my double cross game tomorrow

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

The art form is in a Golden Age, the market is in a Dark Age like it is for everything else.

How many not-Shadowrun games are out there? I skimmed Lowlife 2090 recently and wasn't impressed. There's a free Forged in the Dark homebrew called Runners in the Shadows, and a free Sprawl homebrew called Shadowrun in The Sprawl.

I'm sure there's a spate of Cyberpunk D&D games out there, but most aren't obvious homages to Shadowrun.

there's Hard Wired Island too.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

PerniciousKnid posted:

All this time I thought FF8 was bad, I guess I missed out.

FF8 has a plot so threadbare as to be see-through but the worldbuilding is fantastic.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

one of the most interesting picture books I ever read as a wee sprout was an observation of then-modern America written as if it were an archaeological report. I forget who wrote/illustrated it (my gut says Chris Van Allsberg but I'm not sure) or what the title was, but some of the stuff that stood out was a picture of neon signs like you'd see getting off a highway and speculation as to their religious function. Cool stuff, opened my eye to how many assumptions we make writing about the past.

e: google detective work suggests it was Motel of the Mysteries by David Macaulay.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 25, 2021

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

At this point I think the most obvious "why the gently caress doesn't this have an RPG" franchises are, like, Pokemon and Naruto. Or I guess replace Naruto with shonen series of your choice.

Wizco put out a Pokemon rpg for very young gamers back in the day.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Coolness Averted posted:

Tommy Nocker's Smith & Forge -100% certified goods that contain no iron.

I first read that as Tommy Nocker's Smith & Frogs, which would also be an interesting shop.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm fascinated by the enemy AI system in Emberwind, though I don't particularly care for the rest of the system.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Dog Kisser posted:

Can you give a quick expansion on this? I'm a sucker for AI systems in these sorts of games.

Tibalt posted:

That's the enemy actions mapped to a hexgrid idea, right?

Sure, I can give a very brief rundown. Basically, enemies have a hex grid of actions, and they roll a dice each turn to determine what path they take navigating through the hexes. Usually (but not always) the center hex will be movement, and then the hexes surrounding it will be each have either a basic attack or a special ability, and so forth and so on. Each monster also has a note in its stat block that determines what its targeting priorities are (usually they'll attack the nearest hero, but not always for example, a beastmaster foe might target whichever character last targeted one of its minions, teleporty guys might target the farthest away foe, and there's a few mobile foes whose targeting is completely random).

Here's an example from a really basic monster:

It starts by moving five squares (and its traits indicate that it moves toward and engages the closest hero) and, depending on dice roll, it either uses its basic attack or its special ability (labeled A; some monsters have multiple special abilities).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Jimbozig posted:

Why does it do action A on a 1 or a 5, but basic attack on a 2,3,4, or 6?

As opposed to doing A on a 1-2 and basic attack on a 3-6?

Is there any significance to that arrangement? Is there any significance to the hex positioning?

I'm not the designer, but I imagine they specifically wanted something that felt different than just 'x on 1-2, basic attack on 3-6'.

And again, remember that this is the most simple of monsters. Things get more involved as monsters get complex - if you'd like to have a look, there's plenty of examples on Emberwind's web site.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Each turn's roll is a string of actions - so a 1 would be move -> special ability a -> whatever next if there was a third tile in the pattern, to be clear. Sorry I'm explaining this poorly, but I'm trying to do so without actually copying and pasting whole sheets or anything.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Nessus posted:

So each roll starts from the center and works its way out, eh? And I imagine if the basic attack and special move A are not ranged attacks, then the monster's turn ends there as it moves towards its next target.

Yep. A lot of special abilities have some sort of movement baked in, though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, I have now gone and looked at some more monsters and the rules for using them, and I understand it, but the explanations given in this thread are not correct. Having the two action A's together would not make them usable back-to-back because the hexes are not traversed like a "hex flower" with multiple rolls and changes of direction. There is no "wrapping around" or anything like that. You just roll once and then proceed along the "action chain" in that direction. The example monster just had a short chain because it only gets to do 2 actions each turn (it will always move then basic attack or it will move then do action A). For monsters with more actions, it looks more like an asterisk.

All of this is exactly what I said, though? If I didn't explain it well, that's one thing, but saying I'm wrong is another entirely. I never said anything about wrapping around, I specifically said the monster I used for the sake of example was basic, and I explained the way a given turn for a monster worked more clearly in my next post.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

bbcisdabomb posted:

I love this and am officially going to steal it.

As the player of the child in question, it was in fact not a victimless crime (but Fionnuala met her fetch, got over her unease at watching the life she should have been living instead of being a hitman/exterminator for the fey court, and reconciled with her, and then the two of them made Nuala's boss/mother figure swear an oath not to do that poo poo again).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

karmicknight posted:

Is there still a thread for asking "what game should I run this in?" I may have hallucinated something to this effect at some point, but I have several game ideas and formats I'd like to tap into the Trad Games posters to figure out.

I believe you want the What System Should I Use Megathread.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Pick posted:

This is a very dumb question but I might as well ask it here: I have a bunch of boxes of never-played-with Pokemon cards that I collected as a kid in the 90s but kept in sleeves in a box. I went to look at some of them and they seem to be in really good shape. Is there anything to the rumor any of these are worth anything? Like is an old holo Venusaur actually worth selling?

Some of them are - Charizard, of course, still pulls in the big bucks - but most individual cards don't go for much these days (checking ebay puts holo Venusaur at about $30, though I'm not familiar with other places people sell cards). If you have any sealed product, though, you could probably make a nice profit off it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still kinda mad about The Forest Hymn & Picnic getting derailed so badly, it seemed like it was going to be such a wonderful game too

uh-oh, what happened to it? It kind of fell off my radar.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like he had some bad personal stuff hit over the summer, and then decided to redesign the whole game, and now there's been no updates since August.

oh no

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

If you don't mind a lot of worldbuilding for a game you might not have played (FFXIV), the Encylopedia Eorzea has a lot of fun monster designs and lore. Volume 2 has a lot about dragons.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

It is me, I am the shill for weeb systems, but double cross does superheroes real well if you're willing to do some refluffing for things that aren't innate powers/don't fit your thematics exactly. It also has mechanical support for your Aunt Mays and Lois Lanes (in fact, 'Lois' is the term for a character that you have a mechanically significant bond with).

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Maybe Chrononauts?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

CitizenKeen posted:

What are some role playing games with good, board gamey mini games that aren't combat? Shardix's mentality is similar to my own, but also, for most games, combat is the part that's the crunchy, interactive, gamey part. Which is the part I want.

Ars Magicka is a little too solitaire. Red Markets is a little too depressing. Even optimistic, relationship-centered, narrative games like Flying Circus put the game in the combat.

What's a good, crunchy game where the meatiest chapter is for something other than fighting?

Ryuutama?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I enjoyed it when I played it, but I wasn't sure I was playing it right.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Oh speaking of games with more space devoted to non-combat than combat: Leverage (though one of the 'classes' is the guy who cleans up messes so)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tosk posted:

So I have only occasionally lurked this forum on SA, despite being a massive roleplaying nerd and at this point reasonably experienced tabletop gm as well, but I was recently pontificating nostalgically and wondered if forum play-by-post roleplaying was ever very popular in this community? I mean of the purely creative writing-based variety, as I see there are a number of play-by-post games running, but more inclined towards mechanics and incorporating actual game elements. Recently I was thinking about how I used to do a lot of that kind of roleplaying as a teenager, and how it seems like it was such a weird and mid-to-late 2000s thing that the Internet captured, as all the forum roleplays I know of are dead or dying, except for a few run in specific very popular fandoms that always get an influx of new players, and it seems like something that could have existed on SA at some point over its history.

Sorry if this is off-topic. I tried to use the search engine to find any mention of this stuff and only found a few random posts in a previous incarnation of this thread.

I'm not sure if freeform was ever really a thing beyond CYOAs, no.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

oh no, an adorable bug game, one of my many weaknesses

How do the mechanics feel?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

oh, that sure is a surfries. I'm sure potatocubed will help TG run like a well-oiled mashine, though. He's a gratin choice!

Potato puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

That's pretty accurate! You'll want to find a game that looks fun and interesting to you and you're comfortable with playing. You'll also want to let GMs know that you're brand new; some will be okay with that and some won't.