Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

mellonbread posted:

I didn't notice any instant death traps. The big flaws I found are[list=1][*]There are a lot of places where the text says the wizard is watching the players "won't allow" something to happen, or will "punish" the players for something. There's no description for how he actually does this - as written he doesn't interact with the players at all until they reach his layer.

Those bits are explicitly written “in-character” for the Wizard. They’re supposed to reflect the Wizard’s hatred for the PCs and his desire to see them fail, not any actual mechanical effect beyond what’s already in the dungeon.[/QUOTE]

Coolness Averted posted:

It explicitly names splitting up as an instant death, or rather "if a character is ever alone, the wizard swoops down and abducts them and you never hear from them again"

And then it states afterward that any character snatched up by the Wizard is dumped in a room that is a difficult, but not inescapable death trap. It’s hyperbole to set up the terror of the scenario.

Which is good! I like modules that build up tension even if the bark is worse than the bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Welcome to Pathfinder!

It has nothing to do with paths.

It has nothing to do with finders.

It has everything to do with hurting.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

moths posted:

Double post but this is probably the best place for it:

Are pop culture references getting jammed into otherwise serious material more frequently now? Twice recently I've found utterly stupid poo poo shoehorned into Mörk Börg supplements: Forbidden Psalm had a wacky chart of tone-shredding silly poo poo, and Börk Morgue 666 has this whole thing:

It's babbys first satire and it's cringe af.

Why is this happening? Who wanted this? Whose game is made better by putting the goddamn proud boys and MAGA crowd and a cheap shot at McDonald's into a fantasy setting?

I dunno, they’re posted as antagonists, and dismembering MAGAchuds and Proud Boys sounds like a good time to me.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Dave Brookshaw posted:

nWoD does have metaplot - it just has a tiny, vestigial metaplot limited to the scale of "the Nemean got deposed from being Boston's Hierarch, as he is is explicitly set up to be in Boston's book", "Hurricane Katrina destroyed the Vampire society described in the New Orleans book, which came out before it happened", "Grandfather Crow achieved the New Dawn so wont be in any more books" and... I'm actually blanking on any more concrete examples. That's how little of it there is.

The Strix returning in number to haunt vampires after disappearing with the fall of Rome is probably another example.

But yeah, nWoD metaplot was all small scale stuff designed to not interfere with your table if you didn’t want it.
Nothing on the level of “someone sets off a nuke in the spirit world (again), completely wiping out X thing that’s been part of the game since the start.”

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 26, 2021

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I remember being excited about Over the Edge second edition but haven't heard anything since. Is it any good?

A lot of the overall interest dropped off when its creator, Jonathan Tweet, made a bunch of tweets about how “unfair” it was that the leftists and mainstream media wouldn’t give “race science” a fair shake.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Rich Fail-son really should be some kind of subclass in a game.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

An Electric Bastionland series that just drops you into the premise of a group of down-and-out treasure hunters in a weird city would be great. Especially if you put Muppets Mockeries in it too.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

dwarf74 posted:

Remember when this little guy and his Badger made certain gamers lose their loving minds?

Those were the days

4e gnomes were the best gnomes. <3

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there any rpg that doesn't irreversibly snowball into total chaos? I'm burning out on that in D&D.

There are plenty. My advice is to look for a game that has a dedicated core gameplay loop and mechanics that enforce it (i.e not D&D).

Games based on the Powered by the Apocalypse (Apocalypse World, Masks, many others)and Forged in the Dark (Blades in the Dark, Copperhead County) are particularly good at this.

If you want something in this vein that does D&D style high fantasy, I highly recommend Fellowship (a PbtA game).

Barring that, I found the best way to “close the loop” with D&D 5e and ensure a campaign doesn’t spiral into too much chaos is capping the game at level 10, to avoid the power and number bloat that is high level D&D.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Murderhobo hijinks take over because plans can't possibly anticipate how complicated a scenario is, DMs forget to try to "yes and" player plans, and/or a player gets frustrated or bored and blows up an outhouse to get action moving.

I mean, those are just systemic problems with D&D that you can remedy with experience, but most people jumping on the current D&D bandwagon that are new players aren’t going to be aware of those problems and the system will enable them. When you have a game that encourages “kill monsters, get loot, level up” without decent advice to resolve situations beyond that, murderhobos are going to take the reins because the game as written rewards them for their behavior.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

MonsieurChoc posted:

Isn't Desborough the Black Tokyo guy? I'm mixing up the people who showed up on F&F.

No, that’s Chris Fields. But Fields also did that “Tournament of Rapists” supplement, so it’d be easy to confuse the two.

edit: scooped!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

C... posted:

I see you're in the market for my forensic entomologist ruleset, Bugs in the Dead

Boomers in the DVR

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Agreed that you can’t really replicate DE note by note with a tRPG, but when I read “ Small-scale paranormal stuff in a colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole that is variously absurd and poignant I guess.”, my first thought was Electric Bastionland.

Bastion is your colorful dysfunctional capitalist hellhole, a chaotic, industrialized city on the edge of time. Your PCs are all down-and-out folks with a Failed Career, £10K in debt, and little else. Can you make your way as treasure hunters and troubleshooters in a world where everything’s a mess and no one is willing to take responsibility?

(Also there are off-brand Muppets!)

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 1, 2021

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Red Hand of Doom gets a lot of good press as an adventure due to nostalgia, but I looked it up on a friend’s recommendation and wasn’t impressed.

The good parts felt like “what if the Battle of Helm’s Deep but with hobgoblins?” (not surprising since it appeared around the time of the Jackson LotR movies) and the bad parts felt like some WWI-propaganda “protect the fatherland and its womenfolk from the foreign horde!” kind of poo poo.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

As for my favorite pre-made campaign I’ll chip in a vote for Deep Carbon Observatory.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The calzone golem was created by the wizard Ben “Ice Clown” Wyatt to defend the Cones of Dunshire.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Trad Games Chat: i didnt peepee! i';m not a little piss boy!!!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

PeterWeller posted:

It's like Kid Omega's shirt says: Magneto was Right.

"We must secure the existence of our people and a future for mutant children."

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Been thinking of “what’s a good fail-state for PCs beyond permadeath without removing death’s impact in the setting”, and one solution that emerges is the option of the fail state (0 HP or whatever) always be some kind of permanent, significant change instead. That change could be death (the option for a player who wants to start completely fresh) but you always have the option of having the PC return with a significant mark (serious injury, visible scar) or come back but changed (reincarnation, undead, cyborg, body-switching, etc.) or even the old soap opera “you killed my twin” approach. Establish in-setting that death is permanent, but whether or not PCs die is always in the hands of their players.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Siivola posted:

So out of curiousity, when you frame out a scenario, do you do any planning for when the player characters end up retreating, or do you just wing it?

Following up on the great suggestions on consequences by PurpleXVI, I run my games with the expectation that retreat is always an option. Borrowing another 13th Age rule, the party can vote among themselves to retreat if they’re in over their heads (this rule is mostly for D&D/OSR stuff). Retreat always takes you to a place of safety where the threat won’t or can’t pursue, and all PCs (living/dead/etc) are safe.

There is always a consequence in-setting, but that’s agreed upon in group discussion. It could mean a loss of resources (like throwing food or gold to distract a monster) or an advance of the enemy’s plans (ex. retreating from a cult’s hideout means that it’s able to gain a stronger foothold in part of the PC’s home city).

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Tulip posted:

Helps that the Driver is in fact still pretty useful without their car.

AW isn't really a game about car chases but it doesn't suffer for their inclusion.

I’ve also seen some inventive AW games set in the Fallout setting where the Driver’s vehicle is reskinned as power armor.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Xiahou Dun posted:

Now I'm just imagining season 2 of The Wire but set in Dragonlance.

Ziggy's a kender, obviously.

"You know what the trouble is, Raistlin? We used to just put our hand in the next guy's pocket. Now, we have to *make* poo poo."

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

You can save yourself some time by skipping RWBY and just watching the excellent video by hbomberguy where he unpacks everything that sucks about it

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

From the makers of 13th Age comes a new and exciting game… 14 Words!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Subjunctive posted:

She must be cold in those outfits.

Looks pretty hot to me :quagmire:

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

On the side topic of games with good superpower builds; I’m running Deviant: the Renegades, my first CofD game for a while, and Ive never had this much fun making NPCs in a CofD before.

Having particular fun finding some weird character OCC/RCC from Rifts and redesigning it with Deviant.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Already made a Juicer!

… he got his super-speed stolen by the zombie PC with Inhuman Digestion before being killed and partially eaten.

:D

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Nessus posted:

Now when you say super-speed...

Try some of the variant juicers! I like the one who doesn't just have a heart attack and die as per God's plan, but basically just turns into a giant sodium/lithium chemical fire. That's still alive! Great technology, RIFTS!

Super-speed was Enhanced Speed 5, entangled with the Perilous Variation Scar (uses takes 1 agg each time they activate the entangled Variation)

I based my Juicer off of the Hyperion Juicer (+ acid blood, thats how Deviant rolls), but a Mega-Juicer based Devoted could be fun.

(I guess the zombie PC is now technically a Murder Wraith)

I’m playing fast-and-loose with my Rifts inspirations. Already featured a Crazy (killed by the cohort), a Tattooed Maxi-Man (his legal name), a Psi-Stalker (killed by the cohort), and Dog-boys (one which has befriended the cohort), and a Cyber-knight (NPC Renegade ally).

Currently working on a Glitter Boy and a Gargoyle.

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 11, 2023

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I know that Hillfolk is actually about Bronze Age stuff, but every time it’s mentioned it just reminds me of Kenneth from 30 Rock.

(Though Kenneth was alive during the Bronze Age, so it works out.)

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

walruscat posted:

Are there any recommended places to look for online ttrpg games?

I’ve had the best luck with tRPG Discord threads.

SA has its own trad games Discord channel, as does System Mastery. Most of the major rpg companies also have channels.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The PCs are instead attacked by a squad of awful boomer comedians who tell people that their gender is “attack helicopter.”

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

fritz posted:

The only stats for helicopters I care about is if the blades are dull or sharp.

The blades should be razor sharp!

If a PC gets decapitated, who’s gonna look slicker in the casket; Johnny Cleanslice, or Timmy Headloaf?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Nessus posted:

Starting to think this cyberpunk thing was increasingly vestigal to provide you with modern-flavored things to be a D&D wizard at

From my experience, all the Shadowrun fans I’ve met had little to no interest in actual sci-fi or cyberpunk.

They just want D&D with guns and helicopters.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maybe its really fun

All the pregnancies are fictional and the only disease you might catch is cringe

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have just discovered the existence of Savage Worlds Pathfinder and I'd like to ask if anyone would like to sell me on it because it sounds like a cool concept and I'm curious if it sticks the landing.

Instead of just one game whose hallmark is “Copying D&D’s Homework”, you get two of those games for the price of one.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

there’s a lot of Keanu fans looking for movie clips and wondering why the algorithm keeps directing them towards some neckbeard ranting about D&D or whatever

but he’s just more white noise alongside the dudes who look and act exactly like him except he rants about rpgs instead of why there are too many women in Star Wars movies

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The more fantasy games I play, the more I appreciate a system & setting where magic cast entirely through consumable items or a few rare reusable magic items. Thinking of games like Knave, Mörk Borg, or Cairn where all spells are found in books or scrolls that can only be found in the dungeons, take up inventory space, and are immediately consumed after use. Without magic use as a built-in character feature, magic in the setting becomes something you can do, rather than something that defines who you are.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

hyphz posted:

UA 3e goes further and requires you to be mentally afflicted in order to be good at fighting (which kind of comes up in 2e as well, but less directly)

That’s not quite true. Yes, Struggle (the fighting skill) is linked to the Violence Stress gauge and increases as you gain Hardened Violence Notches, reflecting desensitization from trauma. But that’s actually “the hard way” to gain a high Struggle score.

Instead of relying on the Skills that fluctuate with the Shock Gauges, most combat-spec’ed UA3 characters will rely on an Identity that substitutes for Struggle (ex. “Judo Black-Belt”, “Chess-Boxer”, “Antifa Super-Soldier”, etc.)

This lets you acquire a high Struggle skill w/o having to build up Violence trauma that reduces your Connect (skill used for persuasive social interactions), reflecting that your combat ability derives from some level of professional training rather than a trauma response.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The Vast in Faerun of Forgotten Realms was supposed to be this, but Ed Greenwood just can’t leave a blank space on any map without stuffing it full of chapters of lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Godbound’s setting of Arcem has a few Build-Your-Own-Kingdom potential areas, but realistically, the answer to “Where does a Godbound PC build their empire?” is “Anywhere they want to.”