Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

I aim for 10 to 15 sessions for a game anymore. I used to run longer stuff, but I start getting antsy around after a season or so. If I'm playing rather than running, that usually means playing a few different characters over the course of a game as the other person in my ground who's likely to run goes for longer stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Splicer posted:

The reroll causes a positive feedback loops/"failure spiral"

You fail a roll so you spend XP to e.g. Not loving Die.

I did not fail the roll so I keep my XP. I level.

I now have better numbers than you. Since I have better numbers than you I succeed more than you. Since I succeed more than you I have to spend less XP on reroll bennies. Since I have to spend less XP on bennies I level up more. Since I level up more I have to spend less XP on bennies. Level numbers level numbers oh look you're grubbing in the dirt trying to scrounge out enough XP to Not loving Die Again vs challenges I'm casually backhanding into the sun.

The narrative one is easier: you're mechanically incentivised to be boring. If everyone else in the group is spending 1xp a session on interesting narrative stuff then I'm basically earning a bonus for being a fun vacuum. It's like reverse roleplaying XP.

I'm not a fan of the system, which I found a bit boring to run, but looking back, I think the simplest resolution as far as the xp thing is just to say that xp doesn't go away when you use it in session, it just converts to banked xp or something like that. Once you spend it for a mechanical benefit, now it's currency you can spend for character advancement.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

On campaigns, I found Impossible Landscapes to be pretty great, and big enough that I think I could run it again for the same group and only worry about touching two or three scenes again - there's a lot of material.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

Rand Brittain posted:

Four hours left on Jenna Moran's The Far Roofs.

With backerkit to follow for anyone who missed it, apparently.

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

dwarf74 posted:

I have been running games for 40 years. Tonight I kicked a player out of a group for the first time.

They weren't getting the experience out of it that they wanted, and decided to take it out on me. So I'm disheartened and disappointed. But ultimately I just didn't have the energy anymore to play "rpg counselor" for them after every session.

I've had something similar going on. I'm likely next up to run something, and I'm not hugely looking forward to making clear that the player isn't going to be welcomed back once the next game starts. There comes a point there are just too many meltdowns.