Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah that's exactly what I was trying to go for with my vindaloo analogy but probably failed.

It's totally cool to not like a caustic, molten assault of spice on your mouth, it's not everyone's idea of fun. But if your primary problem with a particular vindaloo is that it's too hot... uh I think the problem isn't the recipe, it's just that you don't like vindaloo.

(God drat it now I want Indian food.)
I just had chicken vindaloo and I ordered it Indian Spicy™, it was extremely good. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leraika posted:

It's a ravioli.
And ravioli is a sandwich, ergo

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Two things that I find bothersome and frequent elsewhere:

“That’s just stuff a good GM does anyways”

And

“We just house-rule over [flaw] so it doesn’t matter”
I hate those too, however the latter can be easily fixed by just providing the houserule. It's honestly so weird to me when people don't offer up the change they made that (allegedly) fixes the game; don't you want to be The Dude Who Fixed Everything?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'd rather be The Dude Who Sold a Working Product in the First Place, personally.
Well yeah, but I'm not nearly chud enough to work for wotc so I'll never get the chance to fix D&D like that. :v: Gotta make do with the titles I can achieve!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Criticism of bad mechanics isn't "it's impossible to houserule around X,"
I never said that it was? :confused:

I think "here's how I would fix this bad rule" is a pretty integral part of any discussion around a given bad rule, because otherwise all you really have is grousing about Thing Bad. You can go off on why a rule is bad and what it does poorly, but eventually you gotta pony up and offer a fix or else you're just grousing about Thing Bad to no one's benefit. You address the criticism by addressing the problem itself, and the alteration of said rule for use at your personal table, i.e. a houserule, is how you do that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
how did I misclick so badly that I ended up in pet island

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm actually curious. How many of us are in ongoing (or imminent) games & what are they?
Personally in delay limbo for a switch from Eclipse Phase to CPRED, plus an Over the Edge game that's starting soon.
I have been running the same 3.5e D&D game for over 2.5 years now. The PCs are level 20, and as part of the Final Boss Battle™ they each got a salient divine ability to fight with. We're going into the 3rd session of that battle tomorrow which will be session #109 in total. It's been wild.

I am also in a Dark Ages Vampire: 20th Anniversary game with one other player, where we are basically just being huge assholes to the Tremere and anyone who gets in our way. It's very fun.

edit:

aldantefax posted:

legume ingots
gonna make a character with this name

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

aldantefax posted:

tl;dr: if you are a sore winner or loser you will have a bad time in a competitive game, but record your reactions on Youtube so we can all have a good laugh like Phil Hellmuth
I know just enough about high level poker to both understand and laugh at this.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Both are sticks, just let people pick what kind of stick they want.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xarbala posted:

Y'all can just say robots are cool
robots are not inherently cool, it's what you do with them

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Robotic Folksinger posted:

Robots are cool

Butts are cool
robutts

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Lord Archibald Toffington-Smythe
The most British name ever.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Okay, I know it's a cheap shot, but keep in mind that the things that come to mind for most people for "British cuisine" are working class food. You know, the people who historically couldn't afford much in the way of spices/etc as part of their staple diet until recently, long after the rise of the colonial empire, and had to make do with what they could afford or grow/raise themselves? (e: also, the whole "multiple world wars forcing rationing and creative use of what's at hand" didn't help either) Yeah, those people. I get it, it's bland compared to other cuisine, but "haha british food bad" is just repackaged "haha we've got it better than poor people".
Sorry. Hits a nerve. (I'm not British.)
French peasants managed to make delicious food just fine, as did the Germans, Polish, etc. and they didn't pillage half the planet. Britain has no excuse.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leperflesh posted:

Do they have junk food? Of course they do, everyone does. But I defy you to point to a better tasting junk food than a piping hot battered fried fish sided with fat fluffy crispy chips, drizzled with malt vinegar and lightly dusted with salt, served in a wad of (uninked, please) newspaper and wolfed down steaming in the cool night air along with your fifth pint of beer.
Poutine. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leperflesh posted:

On par IMO but not "better." I've had about four or five Poutines via my three visits to Montreal, all curated by genuine local canadians, ranging from the basic timmy's through to fancy restaurant poutine. And they're drat good, don't get me wrong. But scarfing down scaldingly hot fish & chips in the drizzle outside a chippy in Caernaerfon where the folks behind the counter are yammering away in welsh is a life-altering experience that cannot be beat.
Every town has its own "recipe" for poutine and some of the poutine I have had is up there with "best food ever, unqualified". However,

Leperflesh posted:

fried cheese is alright but I can't eat all that much of it, it's just too much concentrated grease
This reminds me that the actual best drunken snack is deep fried pickles. Straight up or with dill sauce, either's great.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ZearothK posted:

Hey, in the last version of this thread someone posted a late letter from either notorious racist Robert E. Howard or notorious racist HP Lovecraft where the dude called himself an idiot for ignoring the wealth of African culture and myth for most of his life. Is that someone you, who is now reading this post or are you someone who also remembers that? If so, could you post it again and the source for it? Want to be sure this was not something I read in the dream forums.
I am almost positive that was HPL as I remember several people telling me that he got less insanely racist towards the end of his life. I have no idea where this letter could be found, though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

aldantefax posted:

How does one get "insanely" less racist?
I think it starts by reading words out of order. :Ţ

LatwPIAT posted:

This letter from 1937 has Lovecraft rip into his younger self (though exactly on what is unclear, other than being a smug, classist rear end in a top hat) at the end of a rather long argument against fascism, classism, and capitalism (with a few barbs thrown at Marxism) and a comment or two about how populism motivated by xenophobia against the Irish, Catholics, Jews, and other outsiders are “primitive emotional appeals” of ripe for fascism.

It does not, however, as far as I could tell, really speak explicitly in any capacity on Lovecraft’s views contra his earlier extreme racism against black people, native Americans, and general support for eugenics and anti-miscegenation.
That's definitely what I was remembering, thank you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ceros_X posted:

Can anyone give some tips about finding a good paid DM?
I don't think this actually exists, to be perfectly honest. I don't have a huge number of experiences with either side of that kind of transaction, but of those that I have had, the DMs looking to get paid to run a game were either "absolutely every single interaction in my life must be monetized" or "mom told me I have to get a job to keep living in the basement so this is it" types. I don't think either is really conducive to a good game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Epic Isometric is the Patreon where you can purchase premade isometric maps with monsters and hero packs.
I still cannot figure out how in the blue gently caress you're supposed to use an isometric map for a tabletop game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

You could see if roll20 has any postings, maybe?
roll20 postings are the Mos Eisley of the RPG world, and I say this as someone who trawled their LFG postings for several years. If you go in with the attitude of "worst case I get a story to tell the cat-piss thread, best case I find a real group to play with" you'll be fine, but you will also walk away with nothing but stories.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FFT posted:

Does anyone here have any ideas about fairly rolling a d110 in person?

My first thought was basically

1: roll a d10. if it comes up 0, go to 3. otherwise go to 2.
2: roll a d100. that's the result, end
3: roll a d10, add 100, that's the result, end
See my first thought for rolling a 1d110 is:

1: go to literally any website made for rolling dice because it is The Goddamned Twenty-First Century there is no way you are more than ten feet from the internet
2: punch in "110" in the spot for rolling weird dice
3: click "roll" and show the group

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FFT posted:

re: what i'm doing with a d110:

There are 110 common and uncommon wondrous items as listed here and I have a potential use case for randomly picking from that list for an in-person game.
get rid of ten of them and roll a d100

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I've played in an ATLA-based game using Legends of the Wulin and worked incredibly well so hopefully they bring in Jenna Moran to design the whole thing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

aldantefax posted:

Anybody playing any games recently? Just wrapped up another GURPS session and gonna run D&D tomorrow, then more GURPS on Friday. Hooray!
My D&D group just started a new campaign and three of us are playing nonstandard races. I am playing an awakened wolpertinger transmuter named Dr. Drey. We hit level 3 last week, doing the "you're all in an adventurer's guild, go recover stolen goods from a goblin tribe" thing.

I'm also in a Dark Ages V20 game with one other player (everyone else got too busy with life to keep playing). We have woken up and befriended a very old vampire/mummy hybrid, have each diablerized our way to 6th generation, and are generally threatening/stealing/killing our way into whatever secrets of blood magic we can obtain. We're fast becoming the guys you'd fight as an end boss in any other game and it's amazing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Len posted:

Is there a thread for posting things our players did to take your mediocre ideas and make them great? I've kinda just been dumping bits from my game in this thread since it's bookmarked
Cat piss thread is now also for "a cool thing happened" stories as well as "oh god why" stories.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DressCodeBlue posted:

I say "sperg" in a mostly neutral way to describe some of my own behavior, and I think it's hilarious that this is seen as more problematic by some people than open contempt for us weirdos. :shrug:
Same, honestly.

There's a not insignificant number of goons who think that the problem with [pick a word] is the word itself rather than the true intent of the person using it, and I think it's funny in the saddest, most ironic way that there are so many tone policing backseat mods on SA in 2021 when just a few years ago that poo poo would get you a ban and/or an ALOD depending on where you were spouting off.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tulip posted:

a person who puts etiquette above ethics, or following the letter of the rules above their intent.

we just call them democrats over here

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If it was just one player I would say "toss out the jackass and keep going" but it sounds like the whole table was just terrified of the idea of expending resources of any type, which makes me wonder how they function in real life. Like do they go around saying "I can't believe you expect me to spend money on food! It could be carrying salmonella!" or whatever?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think they are supposed to be meathooks being summoned out of the street?
Either that or his tendons are escaping into the cracks in the street.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ablative posted:

Maybe "Up to 4" would work too?
I would go with this.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Len posted:

How do you guys handle a game where you just run out of ideas for future sessions?
I get really drunk and just start typing whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I will read my PCs' backstories or go through the running campaign log while I drink, or I'll read through modules for other games of a similar theme.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Boba Pearl posted:

I am designing an encounter for tomorrow night's game, and wanted to get a sanity check.
I have no idea how that will work in a 4e game, but it doesn't seem too crazy? Like, you're always rolling a d20 to attack and you always want it to be high, so you're never really in a situation where you're like "drat if I had known I was gonna get an 8 instead of a 15+ I would have [thing] instead" you know?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Colonel Cool posted:

I tend to find there's a tendency for certain players to substitute having a weird exotic character for having a character with a personality.
I've seen this a lot too, or rather that they expect to be the main character of the game because they are something ~*special*~ when everyone else is human/elf/dwarf. They have their character's story all pre-written and just want other people there to see it and provide color commentary. That's not to say I haven't seen people do this with standard races too, but it tends to be a lot more virulent when someone rolls up with their draconic faetouched aasimar or whatever.

I actually had one person who had 20 character sheets for their character, one for each level, and they would only ever play this character. And then they would proceed to (try to) dictate what would happen next in the plot, what items the enemies had, all kinds of stuff that made me ask "why don't you just write a book instead of trying to hijack my game?" I found out later that this person had done this before to pretty much everyone else on that particular website.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zarick posted:

Well yeah, they're born with them.
:dadjoke:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

slap me and kiss me posted:

Joined this, hopped into the ttrpg channel, and the first thing I saw was someone comparing D&D 5e to World of Warcraft. I think it's time to turn in my badge and gun and retire to the coast.
You could always join the goon mtg server and talk about ttrpgs in the channel for that. We're mostly good people.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Jimbozig posted:

Having a monster claw its way out of their body is something that has not happened to many women.
I have a few questions. :stare:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
No you pretty much nailed it. OSR on the whole is very much "I have heard stories about Tomb of Horrors at cons in the 80s and have generalized these into an assertion that all TTRPGs should be like that."

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

SkyeAuroline posted:

combat centric archetypes ... in a game that heavily punishes fighting
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

grassy gnoll posted:

Did we watch the same Cowboy Bebop?
They're competent killers. Unfortunately for them, there's a little more to life than killing.