Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've taken a page out of Spectaculars and basically stopped running with PCs. It's all GMCs for everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

SkyeAuroline posted:

Troupe play with shared characters is somewhere up there at the top of "things I never want to see in an RPG" and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

I can't speak to BoB, because "bleak story about mercenaries running away from a dark god" is not a campaign RPG that I want to play. However, "troupe play with shared characters" can be awesome if done right. The one-two punch of Spectaculars and Legacy: Life Among the Ruins did it so well I've been folding it into pretty much everything I've run since.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

SkyeAuroline posted:

I don't think Legacy is an example of that at all, though. If I'm playing my Riders with the "last old world officer left standing" Elder as my character for the age, nobody else is going to come in and play that Elder. There's room for incidental characters to be used and/or reused, but they're explicitly disposable and lightly statted, and it's just as easy to roll a new and separate character if desired.

True. Some characters are reserved for individual players. But I've had Quick Characters get used for back-to-back sessions by two different players.

Legacy was just the next game I queued up after Spectaculars, and Spectaculars only has shared characters, and watching my players in my Legacy game put their takes on characters somebody else played the previous session really reinforced the lessons learned. It was also an underlying assumption in the design of Marvel Heroic adventures

Since then, in my session zeroes, I've been talking about how I'm less interested in running games where one player controls one character, and that I find the game more fun if the table approaches the game as a writers room, where each player has a favorite character for a season, but season to season "who" might change.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Splicer posted:

Are there any games that lean heavily into this with an explicitly enshrined in the rules B team? Your guy dies or is in recovery or just isn't suitable for the mission so you pick up a guy from the B team, but also there's rules and tables for what the B team gets up to on their missions?

Not quite what you want, but Star Trek Adventures has some good "background character steps up" rules. Basically, if Troi doesn't make sense on the Klingon/Cardassian stealth/battle mission, then you grab Lieutenant T'Kar from the lower decks. T'Kar starts out as a subset of a character with just enough stats to sneak around and stab some Cardassians, but each time you take them on a mission, they progress toward becoming a full character. It's nothing terribly novel on its face, but its implementation is pretty solid and rewards fleshing out the crew of a big ship.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I find "chain of command" works best with more narrative games. PbtA, Cortex, Blades. If there is a mechanically superior option with a real risk of resource loss, getting bossed around sucks because another player might be making a suboptimal choice, and now you're going to get -2 whatevers and in a crunchy game the whole point is to get +2 whatevers and I don't wanna. In my Legacy game, we regularly play groups wherein one person is clearly in charge, and they decide what happens, and it's chill because it's all narrative faffery anyway.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Whether you care about "houserule A solves problem X in Game" comes down to why you're talking about Game.

If your goal is to discuss system design and games as art, it's irrelevant.

If your goal is to find a fun game to play, the houserule solving the problem might be exactly what you're looking for.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If I make my cats goons, are they on topic for the thread?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Legacy owns. I love it. Running a rock solid campaign right now.

I find some of the math a little uneven, so it can break in places. I think this comes from the family game kind of incentivizing "board game think", really strategic non-narrative play. I don't think Legacy's rough-math-corners are any worse than other PbtA games, but I think it encourages a thinking style that drives players into those corners.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Running: Legacy: Life Among the Ruins 2nd, and Cortex Prime emulating Marvel Heroic

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I remember the first time I read Broken Worlds, I remember thinking "Oh, someone made a generic PbtA hack of K6BD!" It wasn't until months later that I realized it wasn't just a fan of K6BD who wrote it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I would love to play an RPG about sports (any kind of sports) with the tactical goodness that could allow, while still allowing the stakes to feel real. I've never found that, but it's on my short list of games I'd love to play.

Blockhouse posted:

After being busy since like Christmas I'm finally getting a chance to sit and read the Sentinel Comics RPG Core Book

Anyway! Sentinel Comics! I really want to play it! It seems cool! Also I want to just randomly generate heroes forever.

Sentinel Comics has a lot of cool tech, and its character generation is the best of them. It's so cool.

The system didn't end up working for my group, but I still use the character generation to come up with cool outlines for characters and then I port them over.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

aldantefax posted:

GURPS has combat sports as part of their skills and also technical grappling, so you absolutely could run that as a semi-realistic sports drama about a luchador trying to make it back into the ring after being disgraced by their rivals and now they must do one last moonsault before the shadow organizations have their way to destroy the sport

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but the few sports games I've come across, the stakes always feel... not there. Even with games like Dream Park.

I'd play a GURPS game if a good GM was running it, but I wouldn't run it unless someone paid me.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Xiahou Dun posted:

The King’s Dilemma is probably my new favorite board game. Just so much hilarious arguments and backstabbing.

I bought it right before Covid, and it is taking most of my board game-related self-control to not play it on TTS. I really want to enjoy it with wine and bourbon and dinner, but every day my grip on that dream slips a little.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Well, if nothing else, that reinforced my resolve.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm logged in to itch. None of those links give me anything.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Well, there's clearly a market demand for not-Shadowrun. Time to whip something up in Cortex.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I put about 11,000 words into a cyberpunk Resistance game before realizing that wasn't a game I was going to run in the near future. I think there's a ton of low-hanging fruit for a good game there, and I don't think adding magic would be at all difficult. Resistance is fundamentally about badasses who are in over their head who are probably going to die, but hopefully they fulfill their mission first. I think a cyberpunk Resistance game would essentially play iteself.

Also, if you're into cyberpunk, I read a playtest draft of Ascendancy and it's a good project to follow. It uses a d6 variant that I'm not fond of but the writing and ideas are rock solid.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

aldantefax posted:

Hello thread friends. I have made a new thread, and while I will also post it in the thread for threads, I shall share it here because I will post where I may please.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957129

This is madness, but I would like to offer positive reinforcement of that kind of high-effort posting.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What is wrong with the Android version of Acrobat? Am I the only one who uses it?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I do not and I would love to hear about Monte Cook.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Magpie Games posted:

Together they might protect local merchants from the Triple Threat Triad in Republic City, travel through a spirit portal to rescue a child taken into the Spirit World, negotiate peace between feuding communities within the Earth Kingdom, or pursue mysteries (and villains) that arise throughout their adventures!

The roleplaying game’s Core Book is slated for a February 2022 release with two supplements to follow in August 2022 and February 2023 titled Republic City and The Spirit World respectively.

It tickles me that the two most evocative adventure ideas they propose are to be found in the supplements.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

aldantefax posted:

We totally don't have a Frosthaven thread, I think, but it might be in the "miniature games too small for their own thread thread".

Frosthaven is just Gloomhaven, right?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840191

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

aldantefax posted:

Anybody playing any games recently?

Currently doing a biweekly Cortex Prime / Marvel Heroic game, which is loving singing.

Just put a pin in my Legacy: Life Among the Ruins game until I wrap up paternity leave from life. Going to take some time from the supers game as well.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

bbcisdabomb posted:

Are you saying you had a kid and are temporarily dead because of it?

All I'm saying is if I'm living my own personal version of BSG's 33, then I'm not going to have the wherewithal to GM. Or be friendly. Or engage in conversation. Paternity leave ain't just for work. Sometimes you need a month off from everything else, too

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm probably never going to run Sentinels again, and yet, it's a good book with good production values, so I'm going to pick it up anyway. drat this hobby.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Coolness Averted posted:

Just because of time and stuff? Or because it's actually a game you burn yourself out on? I like tactical combat and am interested in a supers game. So far the pandemic has been great for me actually getting my money's worth out of RPGs I've bought, so I'd be interested in getting it if it's a great rules system.

The game didn't do what I wanted from a superhero system. The goods are great, but I also think it has some actual flaws and some for-me flaws.

The Good
  1. The Character Generation. Probably the most fun I've had with a superhero character generation system. Spectaculars comes close, but Sentinels is probably best-in-class.
  2. The Environment Turn. In Sentinels, the Environment gets a turn. Volcanoes explode, construction scaffolding collapses, parents pushing prams wander into the conflict. It's a small idea, but for me, it's a bit of a game-changer. Even in games with really easy ways to change the nature of the scene (Fate, Cortex), I think there's a benefit to going in to scenes with a list of things that can go crazy and taking a defined moment in the turn order to say "I'm the GM. I owe it to my players to spice things up." Again, Spectaculars does this too, but in Spectaculars it's kind of generic, where with Sentinels you're given examples of the difference between a volcano and a construction site.
  3. The GYRO System. Having abilities tied to encounter pacing is awesome. I've loved it in other systems (13th Age's Escalation Die, Cortex's Doom Pool, etc.) but it really sings in Sentinels and is baked in to the core. Also, the variations on "roll 3, pick mid" were interesting.

That being said, the first two I'm porting over to my current supers system easily enough (Marvel Heroic but different), and the third is something I miss, but not enough to ignore what, for me, were the flaws of the system.

The Bad
  1. Narrative Binary. I'll admit this is on me, not the system. For a game that's very fluffy and narrative, I found I really missed the variability to be found in the rolls of PbtA/Genesys/Cortex/Fate/Blades/whatever. I'm fine with a game like Lancer or Fragged Empire having a binary success/fail rolls. But in a game where the only limit to a player's description of a roll is the shared understanding of the fiction and their ability to bullshit, as a GM, not having penalties or difficulty modifiers and not having any way to interact with a roll was... frustrating. One player says "I want to punch a hole in the wall" and another player says "I want to thread my micro missile array past the faberge eggs, through the legs of the hostages, and then hack their guidance system mid-flight to hit the enemies" and my options for both were to say it was automatic, impossible, or roll their dice. It was lacking, for me. But that one's on me.
  2. Non-Action Is Non-Existent. I can't dunk on the system too much, but there are essentially no rules for anything that isn't action. And that's fine, comics are about action. And Sentinels isn't even about comics of all kinds, it's just about the kind of comics you find in the core game of Sentinels of the Multiverse, which is about fighting. But my players had a session where they were investigating a mystery, and we never rolled dice. Not because we didn't want to - we did - and it wasn't too terrible - the role playing was great - but if we're getting together to play a role playing game, we want at least a little game. And you can easily, easily end up with a character who has gently caress-all dice to roll if they're not fighting or leaping across buildings. I'm fine with action-centric, but not action-exclusive.
  3. It's Unbalanced. This one isn't personal, this is actually a problem with the system and would prevent me from wanting to play a longer-term campaign. The system is unfinished. It's all easy to houserule, but I think it needed another stretch of playtesting.
    1. Some of the archetypes are really laser-focused on recreating characters from the Sentinels game, and have way too many abilities focused on that. (E.g., the Elemental Manipulator, a pretty classic archetype that you would see in many comics, has half their abilities focus on self-harm, because that's what the flagship character Absolute Zero does.)
    2. It's not hard to have two characters of grossly different power levels. And I don't mean narratively, in the way that a 1d10 Telekinesis is just better than a 1d10 Icefist, because you can narrate its use with more permission. I mean mechanically. You can easily have a character who is just better, mechanically, than someone else at the table. And by "easily", I mean by accident. You don't need min/max shenanigans; given four PCs, you're highly likely to have one be flat better than another.
    3. The villain design is inspired in its structure, but fundamentally unbalanced. It's very easy to make pushovers or slogs, without knowing that you did so. In terms of difficulty, the villain generation system essentially makes random difficulty villains. Which wouldn't be terrible if knew when you were done how hard the villain was. But you don't, without system insight or seeing it in play.

At the end of the day, I can steal the good parts and the bad parts are intrinsic. People on rpg.net and some of my Discords seem to like it. I think if you're going for Silver Age action/violence it's got some bells and whistles that feel novel. I'm excited to see what the forthcoming supplements look like, but the system just doesn't let me play out the stories I'm accustomed to reading in Image/Marvel comics.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'll write more later, but I'm playing Marvel Heroic Role Playing, the Cortex game, not Marvel Super Heroes, the TSR game. I can't speak to the TSR game, but MHR (by the same Cam Banks who designed Sentinels) is in my mind a better balanced game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm fascinated with the rise of "not-people" character sheets in role playing games. I don't know if it's novel, or a cohesive piece of tech, but I'm fascinated with...
  • Individual faction character sheets, like in Legacy: Life Among the Ruins,
  • Team faction sheets, like in Blades in the Dark or Spectaculars
  • Fleets in Lancer Battlegroup
etc.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What game had dueling grids where you could "move" to spaces orthogonal to your current action type? It was different sword-fighting styles or something like. Was it Spellbound Kingdoms?

I think "state machines as ability trees" might have juice.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've thought for a while that a Dark Souls-like game in pen and paper format would really suit Spellbound Kingdoms' fighting style trees really well. It's a good way to capture the "plan around potential outcomes, dodge, and attack appropriately" you get in the real-time combat of those types of video games, but in a more static format.

The appeal, to me, is that it allows for some decision making with lots of varied options, without all the options presented at once. (I misspoke earlier by calling it a state machine, since there's some decision making by the user.) But by having a connected graph, you have tons of cool abilities. But only some of them are available now, which for many people would limit their analysis paralysis. "Here are the three cool moves I can do right now." Then you have the next level of "Here are the three cool moves I can do right now, and I want to vaguely move toward the upper right corner of my ability graph". So you can get into the strategy, etc., if you want.

Also, a graph like that could bundle abilities. I like bundling, because it makes there be a reason for "less optimal" mechanical abilities.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Gort posted:

I had a vague idea of doing something Dark Souls-ish by having characters level up each time they die.

There's not a real equivalent you can do for the "player gets better at game" stuff that happens in a Souls game, though. The closest equivalent would be something like learning the boss is cold vulnerable halfway through your first attempt, dying to the boss, and then exploiting the cold vulnerability from turn 1.

Not sure it's really a worthwhile project to pursue, though - doing the same fight over and over in a video game is different to doing it over and over with pen and paper around a dining table (not that anyone except Aussies and Kiwis get to do that any more)

https://www.phoenixdawncommand.com/

Phoenix Dawn Command plays this game, by Keith Baker of Eberron fame.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Gort posted:

I cringe a little harder every time someone comes up with a new version of the term "Game Master"

I appreciate that more games seem to be moving on to Game Moderator, but I do dislike system/setting-specific terms for the role, absolutely.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Pathfinder Online Open Enrollment v2.4 Release Notes posted:

• All 45 new Statue of Pharasma recipes are rare drops mixed in with the standard Tier 3 recipe drops and require level 20 to learn. This is true even for the +0 refining recipes, which are typically Default recipes for their required level. They currently drop at about twice the rate they really should based on their value, in order to make them more likely to drop during the holiday event, and we’re likely to set their drop rates lower as they become more commonly available. The recipes are spread across all crafting and refining feats, so crafting a complete Statue of Pharasma requires the involvement of every type of level 20 crafter.
  • The 30 new raw materials for Pharasmin crafting are available in small amounts from nodes in standard monster hexes, with each type of raw material clustered in a small part of the map. Only the Valuable form of each raw material can be used in the recipes, and other forms can’t be used or sold at Auction Houses. These raw materials cannot be harvested in gushers. At least some of each raw material is required to craft a complete Statue of Pharasma, so raw materials from all parts of the map must be obtained.

These two bullet points from the release notes of the most recent patch tell me literally everything I need to know about the game.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My weeknight group is 4/5 dads from across the city. The commute time just isn't worth it to us, so we were meeting online before pandemic. The ideal is to meet fortnightly online, and then about once a season do a long weekend session so we get that elbow-rubbing human interaction. Best of both worlds, in my mind.

My weekend group will move back to in person as soon as it can, but we're a somewhat food-driven group, so that probably informs our decision.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just placing the request here to plant a seed: If you've got a Sentinel Comics' campaign that's running into 15+ sessions, please report back! I baled on two campaigns as GM because I couldn't make it work for me, and I want to hear about successes.

The character generation is some "best in class" business, and I love its pacing, so I'd love to chat with someone who has run it a lot. (If there are already people out there who have run a long campaign with it, I am ready to talk now.)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still kinda mad about The Forest Hymn & Picnic getting derailed so badly, it seemed like it was going to be such a wonderful game too

Spill the tea, goon

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My four year old kid loves my 5th Edition Monster Manual. He's memorized it.

I'd like other good monster manuals, because I'd like him to not grow too fond of D&D.

What are some awesome books of monsters that are encyclopedic both in their coverage and in their descriptions. Should be kid appropriate for sex and violence and spookiness (as appropriate as the 5th Edition Monster Manual is, because that ship sailed). Needs beautiful color pictures, obviously. Should be in print.

Any genre. Get at me.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I had a baby girl. Now I'm sitting in a chair for four hours a night brainstorming adventures for when my campaigns start back up (taking a break due to aforementioned baby). Plus side, I've got so much content prepped I can probably wing it into 2022. Downside? Writing entire adventures with your thumb is wildly unpleasant.

Thanks to whomever for Star Wars Alien Archive recommendation. My son will now tell anybody who will listen why Tuskan Raiders hunt Krayt dragons, but he doesn't know who Han Solo is.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have a personal knowledge base (Obsidian.md) for my campaign, which affords me the ability to go to a random page of my campaign. Might be a GMC, might be a location, might be an abandoned plot line. After I write-up a plan for a session (or sometimes before), I'll grab 3-5 random pages and try to work them into the campaign. (I'll cheat and keep randomizing until I get 3-5 I want.)

By ensuring that the plot is constantly bringing the past to the present, I find there's always more to do. I feel like every session ends with more hooks than it started. Don't leave good ideas fallow in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Xiahou Dun posted:

As someone who deeply, fervently does not care about playing in WWII, I now really want a squad-level WWII hack of Reign. That sounds tight as hell.

:emptyquote: