Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
If we're throwing out recommendations for 'Grim Military Heroics' then I'd toss in The Watch. It's explicitly about soldiers fighting a seemingly unbeatable foe and has mechanics for the emotional toll that inflicts, is PbtA, and doesn't have a lot of bookkeeping. It also has the entire military campaign laid out with phases, missions and special rules that will crop up as the war progresses. It's good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, making your players mutilate themselves is bad design, that should only happen to player characters.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Is there really a statue of limitations on abandonware before it's considered free range?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I think there are two main issues with superhero RPGs. The first is that you've got a table with 1 GM and two to N characters who are Main Protagonists when the superhero genre is about having 1 Main Protagonist (which would be whoever's name is on the cover of the comic book). Sure, crossovers can happen and maybe someone has a prominent sidekick but if you're reading a Batman comic, he isn't sharing equal page time with Aquaman or whoever.

The second issue is simply scope. A lot of superheroes tend to have a limited scope as to their responsibilities. Let's use the MCU for this. All the Netflix heroes (Luke Cage, Daredevil, etc) are mostly concerned about their neighborhood or maybe the whole city they live in, they're street level heroes. Spiderman usually falls into this area as well. Then you can go above that to international stuff. Iron Man (at the start, anyways) is worried about international crises that might take out a whole city but he's not sweating it if Queens or Hell's Kitchen has some mobsters running around. The next step up is global crises where Nick Fury, most of the Avengers, SHIELD and others start worrying about the fate of the entire planet. And then even above that you've got intergalactic/interdimensional poo poo that worries people like Thor or Dr. Strange.

The second issue becomes a big problem when you've got a street level PC palling around with an interdimensional PC and the GM is trying to introduce plots that both will care about. That's hard. Thor doesn't care if MJ gets kidnapped by one of Spiderman's enemies because he has much, much bigger poo poo to worry about but she's Spiderman's whole world so he's gonna concentrate solely on that. And the stuff that does rustle Thor's jimmies is going to shoot a multi-colored laser beam at Spiderman and turn him to dust unless the rules system is very forgiving to the web slinger. Even if you do manage to have all your players create heroes who inhabit the same scope, you run into the first issue again.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I'll throw in another vote for 7 Wonders, especially if you get all the expansions. The game can get very complex very quickly and the gameplay loop is both easy to learn and deeply strategic.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah I have been loving around with Hear Yourself on it and I am finding it 100% impossible to speak normally with my own voice immediately echoed back to me. It's making it hard to know if it's working.

Oooh yeah, speech jamming is a real thing, better to record yourself and then play it back.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Comic book stores/game stores are almost never run by someone with good business sense because people with good business sense would almost never open a comic book store/game store.

EDIT: My favorite story about someone opening a game store comes from one of my buddies. A friend of his realized that other hobbyists were often coming to him to ask if he had certain stuff in his basement that was packed to the rafters with gaming poo poo and he finally realized 'I should probably just open a store'. I guess he operated one for the better part of a decade after that.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 1, 2021

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

The key for him was having a lot of retail experience and actually treating the place as a business, not as a personal hangout zone.

This reminded me of the lone gaming store that was around my childhood hometown. The greybeard owner/sole employee would have his friends come in and they'd play some CCG at the register with his buddy standing on the opposite side of the till. So if you wanted to buy something you had to hand it around this guy's friend to get rung up. My middle school friends would just shoplift GW stuff and this guy didn't seem to give a single gently caress.

When he finally went out of business back in 2017 it was actually due to retirement and I found, I poo poo you not, Robotech VHS tapes still for sale on a shelf.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I'd buy a tray if I ever lose my mind and buy some solid metal/actual stone dice to protect the tabletop surface, if nothing else.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

This could just be me being old and curmudgeonly. But back before people had phones on them constantly, they had to make arrangements in advance. You couldn't start calling people's houses at 4pm to arrange to meet up at 6, they probably wouldn't be home. If you wanted to participate in things at all, you had to have some kind of way to make and remember appointments - a calendar, sticky notes, whatever.

Of course there's still good reliable people around who will take any appointment or date seriously, and of course back then there were flaky people who just often (or always) failed to show up on time or at all to anything. That's never not been a thing. I just have this sense that nowadays, a lot more people kind of fly by the seat of their pants from day to day and expect everyone else to do likewise. No social date more than 24 hours in advance is an actual "commitment" unless you had to buy tickets.

The main problem my group has, and I'm guilty of this as well, is that information is so easy to relay and so easy to find that a lot of people now tend to assume that everyone else knows what they know. 'Hi. What? I'm at home, we're not gaming tonight, my inlaws are in town... Oh, yeah, uh, my inlaws are in town and we're not gaming, I probably should've told you that earlier.'

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Tulip posted:

So others have suggested that you play a different system but I'm going to just make a firm suggestion that you should at least do a one shot of Apocalypse World. A lot of it is free!

I second this recommendation but I want to add that if you do decide to run Apocalypse World, read the Master of Ceremonies section. For real. If you're thinking to yourself, 'Nah, I'm good, I've run D&D a bunch' then you should read it twice.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I have just the game for you!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I don't know if it's good but it's out there.

https://www.firelockgames.com/bloodandplunder/

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, you can play AW for years and never see anyone use a sex move and ignoring them doesn't hurt the game experience at all. However, if you think they're a dealbreaker for you or your group, look into AW: Burned Over which is a redesigned hack by the original designers and authors. 'No sex moves, a more reigned-in take on violence, less adult horror in the grotesquerie.'

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I also have so much sex that the act is as boring as working with spreadsheets.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

This sounds annoying as hell from a couple of perspectives.

Getting backstabbed by other players usually doesn't go well in most groups unless it's comedy stuff like Paranoia where you just roll out Jones 4 after Jones 1 through 3 had unfortunate mishaps involving lasers and their spine, and start plotting revenge. Then there's how having "split" groups is a pain in the rear end, and if the party's only working together "at points" and the GM is encouraged to "separate them" then most of the time they're probably in wildly different locations. And lastly, unless everyone is super good at compartmentalizing OOC and IC knowledge, having secrets of any kind from other players around a physical gaming table is also going to be involve a clunky mess of passed notes.

Yeah, Apocalypse World isn't for you because exactly this sort of thing is loving amazing when played out in AW. I could add 'with the right group' but that's redundant since any RPG and RPG playstyles can be fun with the right group.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I prefer the 2D20 version of FishBlade but whatevs.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Immersion ruined, no one actually has sex and that truth extends to my tabletop games.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Anyone have any good recs on where to procure metal dice? I'm specifically hoping to find large (25mm or more) metal D6s and I'm not sure if I just need to bite the bullet and trawl Etsy. Is there an active dice thread I might've missed?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Blades in the Dark is still, technically, in progress as a Kickstarter and around the 8.5 year old mark. Last update was in 2020 though.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

My biggest problem with Blades was Downtime and the split of Heist/Non-Heist narration. It seems like you're either Heisting or in Downtime with no other options and everyone would plan out their Downtime activities to be ready for the next Heist. This is all well and good but it felt like it was pushing out all other non-Heist/non-Downtime activities. When can my character, like, visit a contact or a loved one? Does that have to be a Downtime activity? Do I really need to start a clock to see if my wife is buying my cover story still? It became this thing of 'I want to RP but the system isn't making it easy for me to do so' and that rubbed me the wrong way, made the world feel kind of empty.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The dealer hall at Gen Con serves 3 purposes: Buy new poo poo that's being released at Gen Con, try to find deals on nerd poo poo, and play demos of games that might interest you. You could have a very fun time at Gen Con without ever stepping foot in the dealer hall but it is pretty fun to see what's on offer if you can stand the crowds.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I've always tried to do DCC funnels at Gen Con in the past and try to see how many characters I could burn through. I think my record was 9 and it was largely by roleplaying my characters as the hapless peasants they were. No, Fazel the dirt farmer doesn't know that you shouldn't pry the gemstone eyes out of tentacled statues, why do you ask?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Got my copy of Hârnworld 40th Anniversary Edition yesterday and yeah that is a hefty tome, came with some nice maps too

Harn is nothing if not gorgeous maps.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

It cost me $68 to get 2 cards graded with CGC a couple years ago.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Funnels don't use any of those rules because no-one has any skills or spells yet

Technically you need a million weird dice but your can fake it with the regular selection easily enough.

Funnels are hilarious.

poo poo, sometimes you don't even roll dice in a funnel. "The orc hits you in the head with his axe. His minimum damage is 2D4 and you have 1 HP so you're instantly killed, who's your next dirt farmer character?"

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

John Romero posted:

are you guys getting a bunch of game shops opening up in your dead malls? one near me has a tabletop spot right across from one that only does Japanese card games

We had a couple new ones open up in some strip malls, one of them being the second or third location for the owners. I'm in a college town so that may play into things but I take it as an overall good sign.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

A Dirty World by Greg Stolze does that, in a way. The way to become a loving wrecking ball is to get the poo poo kicked out of you first. it's a Noir RPG so it makes a lot of sense.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a web based dice roller, or even a standalone Windows app? The VASSAL dice roller is so barebones, it just throws two d6 faces at you with no ability to specify modifiers or even to total the result.

I found one for the phone that works well enough but I'd like one on the computer too

Google. No, really!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

Any other suggestions you all might have for me to try to put her mind at ease?

I'd tell her that we wouldn't play if we knew what would come up on the dice and sometimes the dice tell our characters to sit the gently caress down. That's the fun of Finding Out!