Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

aldantefax posted:

fwiw I got your deal but yeah.

Anybody play Sword World 2 yet? If not, who wants to play it in some fashion?

Is there a translated version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Leperflesh posted:

The wiki needs some love. It hurts me to look at the main page and not see anything to tell me what's on the site or how to find it. As far as I can tell, the only way to discover pages is through the Random Page link, or just having someone give you a link to a useful page. I had no idea there was a glossary, and searching "glossary" doesn't even return it (because the page is titled Help:Glossary and is not in the content pages!) I would like to help and make it much more usable, but... doing so very highly resembles the poo poo I do at work, so I've carefully avoided volunteering for years.

I can see hyphz has been active, I'd be interesting in hearing who owns it (fuego fish and hypnobeard?), who else is active, and to what degree a random mod can come and stomp around making big changes without pissing everyone off.

Howdy! I'm providing the hosting, Fuego is providing the impetus to get it back up. I'm not sure many other folks are active, but we'd definitely welcome people coming by! Sign up, edit some pages, add some content!

There's a channel on Fuego's TG discord for wiki stuff, if you have questions or problems. You can also PM me here.

(I'll work on the front page today :o:)

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

CitizenKeen posted:

What are some role playing games with good, board gamey mini games that aren't combat? Shardix's mentality is similar to my own, but also, for most games, combat is the part that's the crunchy, interactive, gamey part. Which is the part I want.

Ars Magicka is a little too solitaire. Red Markets is a little too depressing. Even optimistic, relationship-centered, narrative games like Flying Circus put the game in the combat.

What's a good, crunchy game where the meatiest chapter is for something other than fighting?

Does Burning Wheel qualify for this? Social conflict and martial conflicts play out on pretty much the same system (though the "life counter" is a bit different), and combat explicitly has a "eh, we're not going to bother playing this out" mechanic.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Halloween Jack posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics is generally considered the standard-bearer of smoking-a-dragon-shaped-bong-and-staring-at-a-black-light-poster-of-a-wizard-in-a-van-with-a-barbarian-titty-princess-airbrushed-on-the-side fantasy.

It's definitely the Erol Otus of the OSR.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

That Old Tree posted:

GURPS might legit be a good choice. It's got a reputation and there's a lot of stuff to get a handle on just so you can pick and choose what to use, but once you pare it down to what you want, it's a pretty simple core game but still has lots of bits and bobs to play with. Plus, of course, the plethora of sourcebooks to guide you in how to modify your game. And you can pretend you're doing some real OG Fallout, and be a weirdo about how the video games were originally a GURPS tie-in.

Specifically, After the End is the set of sourcebooks for this: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/aftertheend/

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there anyone here familiar with Harnworld? What’s be a good place to learn the setting info (assume I care almost nothing for rules mechanics unless it helps convey flavor). I’m especially interested in the Shek-Pvar. Wizards.

I recent got to flip through a worn copy of Shek-Pvar: Magic Rules and Environment and the barebones lore info on the Shek-Pvar was kinda interesting and combined with some past things I’ve heard about harm part of me wants to learn more.

Hiya!

There's two distinct bits to Hârn: the setting, and Hârnmaster, which is the RPG for that setting. The former is system agnostic though it does make some assumptions about how magic works. The latter is a skill-based percentile system that's serviceable, the only really interesting posts being the combat and wound system and the integration with the Hârn setting. One does not need Hârnmaster to play in Hârn, however, and there's guides for using most popular systems around the internet. I think GURPS and various D&Ds are the most common.

The basic pieces for the setting are HârnWorld and Hârndex, both of which are from Columbia Games and run about 64 pages. The former is a general article that covers the whole island and gives you a high-level overview of the nations, barbarians, etc. Think of it like the entry on the British Isles in a decent encyclopedia and you won't be far off.

Hârndex is a set of entries, mostly a couple of sentences to a paragraph on everything named on the big Hârn map and a bunch of other general topics, like the religions and gods, creatures, feudalism, etc.

Between these two you'll get a good feel for the setting and can focus on a particular kingdom or region to play in, and then pick up the appropriate kingdom module and possibly a manor or keep entry for more detail.

Happy to answer any questions.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Cool, I’ll poke into it. What’s a good source on the Shek-Pvar?

Basically, the Shev-Pvar book that you've already got, iirc. They're usually scholars who hole up in chantries studying whatever esoterica they're obssessedinterested in; the journeyman (who are younger mages) tend to be the only ones who are "adventuring" types.

There's seven kinds of magic, six associated with the Hârnic elements and the seventh being "grey" magic, which is kind of the union of all of the others (since you can only really learn it after you've mastered the other six).

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats a bit disappointing then, because it honestly didn't contain much information. Just a general overview of the organization. Nothing like places they're located, notable figures, history in anything but the broadest of strokes, etc. It was mostly just Overall organization, rules, broad philosophy/practices, ranks etc

Yeah, there's no real organization per se; the chantries tend to be mostly independent, only beholden to the mages who support them. They're technically a guild, but beyond some internal stuff they're not super concerned with the outside world. Most of the time you'll find out more information from the individuals in the various kingdoms, Melderyn in particular. Major cities have chantries, and there's usually a blurb about them in the appropriate book.

Harn's a pretty tightly focused setting, usually. People don't travel a hell of a lot, because it's hard and dangerous and feudalism, so groups tend to be focused on regional stuff, so that's where most of the detail is placed. The big picture books are pretty sketchy, as you've noticed.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I mean, start a thread, as for it to be pinned? Boom, done.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Splicer posted:

I'm not sure how familiar you are with hyphzposting but based in his previous posts his players appear to be sociopaths whose primary hobby is destroying hyphz ability to function as a social being under the guise of playing RPGs

I mean, they're obviously playing a game, just not the game hyphz is

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Nuns with Guns posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that's too stodgy to have been what I'm thinking of. Maybe Rolemaster? There's too many similarly-named fantasy games out there.

Monte Cook was involved with Rolemaster, iirc, so that would track.

Hârnmaster's combat system is nothing like D&D's, so I would be surprised if they took any inspiration from it.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

That Old Tree posted:

Cook was a writer and editor for the end of Rolemaster 2e in the early 90's, then IIRC he started working for TSR after that edition wrapped. While it's an easy assumption to make and seems very plausible, it's also entirely possible that other people working on D&D3 were influenced as strongly or more strongly by RM than Cook. While ICE and RM were already circling the drain by 2000, they were still a long-time major product into the early 2000's and most FRPG authors who could get tapped for D&D at that time were probably at least vaguely familiar with its existence. Especially if they'd been playing in the 80's and ever had someone inflict Arms Law on them for ~increased realism~.

Also, while you can definitely draw a believable line from Rolemaster to D&D3, a lot of what it's doing flows pretty readily from "this kind of sucked for almost 30 years, how do we make it better?" The percentile systems used in the past make for an easy transition to the slightly better "everything is d20 + modifier vs target number" without necessarily needing Rolemaster as a guidepost. RM had graded successes and failures as a fundamental part of its resolution, but D&D ignored the hell out of that.

TLDR maybe but maybe not but probably at least a little! Or not! Maybe!

I mean, Tweet was doing his own thing, with Ars Magical, Over the Edge, and Everway, and Skip Williams was pretty much The D&D Rule Guy at the time for the existing editions, so it seems reasonable to me that Monte was the bridge between the two, with his RM experience. There's not a ton of overt influence, it's true, but RM definitely had a unified mechanic and a plethora of spellcasters.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

FMguru posted:

The way RM treated classes wearing different kinds of armor was ported almost directly into D&D 3E.

I'm quite sure there was a discussion at WOTC about what was out there that could be quickly incorporated into the existing rules to give a different feel without too much effort. Rolemaster, in that sense, was right there, had been doing it forever.

They ended up going further in a lot of ways, but it would not surprise me that they started somewhere around there.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

sebmojo posted:

I was playing lots of rm when 3e came out, and I think it was the unified mechanic (roll, add numbers, result) that felt most similar rather than a bunch of bizarre bespoke systems

Unrelated: do you still play RM or HARP?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Leperflesh posted:

Hey everyone!

Over the weekend, admins and your TG mods all quickly agreed that Podima has been an excellent IK for The Game Room for years and really should be a moderator. So, now Podima is a mod for TGR, and will act as a back-up/fill-in mod for TG as and when needed. This was long overdue IMO. Podima will continue to be the first contact for TGR issues, but now he has access to the reports queue and the mod chat forum it'll be much easier to coordinate. Podima can also act in TG, and it'll be good to have coverage when both Antivehicular! and myself are away or busy.

Thanks Podima!

Congrats and also my sympathies!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

habituallyred posted:

Literally watch the Buck Rogers movie. Its on youtube and the soundtrack is from Queen.

That's the Flash Gordon movie. Buck Rogers just had a TV show.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I've had Mythras for a long time but never managed to find a group willing to play it. It's basically polished Runequest (like version 6.5ish); probably the best crunchy system for Bronze Age roleplaying out there currently.

They did a version of Classic Fantasy for it, too, so it'll do "D&D style" stuff but I honestly think that's a poor fit.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Oh, hyphz, you're starting off strong this year.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Panzeh posted:

For example, in GURPS, the mundane melee fighter with a ton of skill is actually the system mastery class, because you have to know what all the things you can do to modify an attack can do. The above mentioned Dark Elf landsknecht had a Polearm-21 to begin with, which in GURPS terms means you have to roll 3d6 and get under that number to hit the target. Always hitting every time you could possibly hit begins at skill 16, so after that, what you have to do is use the combat options where you penalize your attack roll to do things like hit someone in the vitals, or reduce their defense, or attack twice. It's funny, people make fun of the tactilol stuff in GURPS, but gun combat is much, much simpler to operate in this system. The way rate of fire works makes it so basically your gun skill always has use, even at close range where there's no penalty.

At least now there's some material that has Dungeon Fantasy templates at lower point levels which have much more manageable templates for new players. Right now i'm trying to work out the details of a mechanism that will hopefully make it so goofus fighter with a lot of skill can just roll to hit and have the benefits of hitting by a bunch come out after the attack so it doesn't require much referencing, probably using something similar to automatic fire from guns.

Could just use MoS on the roll to allow the player to "buy" stunts after the fact--either directly translate the usual penalty for, say, a called shot into a required MoS or just set up tiers. MoS 2? You get x. MoS 4? You get x and y. MoS 6? X, y, and z. Etc.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Wish these guys would do more together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0U9WgDNPvA

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yeah, Hackmaster 5e was them pulling a Warhammer and forgetting that the first edition (4e) was satire.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

KingKalamari posted:

This is one of those game design/worldbuilding decisions that is just so utterly baffling in its implementation specifically because I, a secular moron on the internet, can think up an alternative off the top of my head that would have worked way better while still keeping to the game's particular brand of "D&D for Christian kids!": Just make the villains evil goober demons that get inside the unfaithful and make them do sins and you and your party of God-squaders have to hit them with your magic weapons to knock the demons out of them (Said magic weapons are just for getting rid of demons and do not hurt regular people). This seems like such an easy and obvious solution to me, I don't know how the nonsense that they actually printed was what they went with?

Well, I mean, you have an imagination.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Wonder if you could solve the Decker Problem by treating the player group as an entity and giving it a Decker ability score and whatever other stuff you can think of that applies to the group as a whole (equipment/gun access, vehicle support, medical support, cop avoidance/government wheel greasing, etc), and just use that whenever the appropriate roll is necessary. "Oh, you want to hack the security system? Roll your Decker support."

The actual values could even be (simply) derived from elements of the PCs mechanics so it's easy to swap characters if necessary.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

hyphz posted:

It's just the ambiguity of the wording. What it says is "you cannot affect matter". What it probably means is "you can affect matter, but only by changing its recent history so it would be in a different state now". But as written, "you cannot affect matter" means you can't by any means change anything physical.

Likewise, "you can't lie about what you can't see" runs into heavy scaling problems. For example, to lie about the gas is it enough to see the car, or would you have to see the gas, or the gas tank? To lie about a door or safe being unlocked, is it enough to see the body of the door or do you have to see the shackle of the lock?

Mind you, that also has the example of "you could lie that someone has just pulled out of a parking space, so there's a place to park right in front of the Museum". Which absolutely violates the rules about vision - if you can see the car in the space, you can't lie about it because you're contradicting something you know. If you can't see the car in the space, you don't need to lie because the space is already open.

I miss feeling that RP could make me feel energised

If it's ambiguous, why are you choosing to read it in the most restrictive way possible? Just.. don't. Read it in the more permissive way and enjoy the game.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Traveller posted:

The Dune hack was the predecessor for Burning Empires IIRC - the way it was written players could choose between being Jihadists or a noble house resisting the Jihad but it was a foregone conclusion that the nobles would lose because they were going against the Muad'dib. BE was "wait, what if the defenders could actually win"

I don't think it was a direct ancestor; Burning Empires is way more complex and involved than the hack was, IIRC. The comparison between religion and brainworms is a bit of a stretch, too, unless you're going to put on your official Internet Atheist Fedora.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

lowercase16 posted:

I'm checking those out now. The Quiet Year and Ars Magica might be something we'd use. I don't think some of my players would be interested in Arthurian honor and courtly manners and the like.

Thanks, though!

Might want to pitch it to them anyway; Pendragon is a fantastic game and the supplements are pretty universally great.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

You could also try something like Animal Adventures, which is more D&D-like and has cute figurines, and in fact is aimed at kiddos.

I would also agree that Mouse Guard would probably be fine.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Man, they have to stuff everything into D&D, when Lewd Dungeon Adventures is right there!

:69snypa:

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Twobirds posted:

Does anyone know of any RPGs based on 1900's America (+/- 20 years) that aren't 'pulp' or western? There was a lot of weird spiritualism and proto-unionization around this time and I had an idea for a setting and wanted to see what else was out there.

There's Cthulhu by Gaslight which is 1890s but England. Can't think of anything else that's explicitly set in Gilded Age/Progressive Age America, though.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a web based dice roller, or even a standalone Windows app? The VASSAL dice roller is so barebones, it just throws two d6 faces at you with no ability to specify modifiers or even to total the result.

I found one for the phone that works well enough but I'd like one on the computer too

You could just add a dicebot to a Discord server.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Not technically a kingdom, but Border Princes in WFRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Are stats like 'Technical' or 'Mechanical' (or anything representing "aptitude") similarly problematic?