Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

have they been sentenced with anything though, or is this court of public opinion stuff like with Gal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hottake: I don't think Gadot's performance is actually that bad in Wonder Woman 1984, and I'm not actually sure anyone's performance is that bad in WW84. Wiig, Pine, and Pascal are definitely doing a pretty good job.

I think the problem with the movie is that the plot and theming are a mess and Jenkins just can't really direct camp. It's also a very oddly edited movie in ways that don't really account for the attempt at camp. Also the rape which honestly for all the movie's flaws, I probably would have actually kinda liked it if that wasn't there. Still would have been a bad movie though.

That's fair. That material was such junk that it really brought down everything for me.

:siren::siren::siren:EZRA MILLER GOES BY THEY/THEM PRONOUS:siren::siren::siren:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

forest spirit posted:

have they been sentenced with anything though, or is this court of public opinion stuff like with Gal

Miller has not been convicted of anything, no.

But there is video of them attacking someone which was sort of ignored, then later all this news about them came out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

forest spirit posted:

It is WAY beyond anything Gal Gadot has ever done (which was just make some Facebook posts supporting Israel) and they are not comparable at all.

They've been video taped literally choking a woman in public and the bar asked them to leave, but didn't call the police because they were famous.

They've also had multiple restraining orders and arrests, but one of the reasons they haven't been sentenced to anything (yet) is also that they have been on the run from the police and not showing up to their court dates. They technically weren't even supposed to be able to leave Hawaii prior to their next court date there, so it's not clear how they even got to Vermont to get charged with a felony in the first place.

The stuff they have actually been arrested and charged with is about 25% of what they have actually done. They also have 3 children that are living on their compound now that were taken without the father's knowledge.

quote:

a video that appeared to show Miller choking a woman went viral. The incident took place in a bar in Iceland, and while the cops were not called, TMZ reported that Miller was asked to leave the bar. Her friends, she said, pulled the actor off, and the bartender, Carlos Reynir, intervened. Reynir told Variety that Miller grabbed him by the throat when he tried to throw them out. Miller “tells me they’re not leaving,” Reynir recounted. “They proceeded to spit in my face several times, so with the final push, I closed and locked the door.”

quote:

Earlier this year, Miller was arrested twice in Hawaii, first in March for disorderly conduct and harassment at a karaoke bar and again in April for second-degree assault after they allegedly threw a chair at a 26-year-old woman in a private residence. Miller posted bail on both occasions and was released but was charged for at least one of the incidents, and Hawaii police said in April that its investigation was ongoing.

quote:

An unnamed couple were granted a temporary restraining order against Miller, claiming that the actor, who had stayed with them in Hawaii, burst into their bedroom and threatened them. “I will bury you and your slut wife,” Miller allegedly told the male victim. The couple claimed that Miller had also stolen personal belongings including a Social Security card, a passport, and credit cards. No charges were filed.

quote:

In June, Sara Jumping Eagle and Chase Iron Eyes sought a protective order from Miller on behalf of Gibson Iron Eyes, an 18-year-old who had reportedly been living with Miller since December 2021. As originally reported by TMZ, the couple allege that Miller met the family during protests at the Standing Rock Reservation in 2016, when Gibson was just 12 years old. From then, Miller and Gibson developed a friendship. In 2017, the parents claim, Miller flew Gibson, then 14, and a chaperone to London to visit the set of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

quote:

In the years that followed, Gibson’s parents claim that Miller convinced them to send Gibson to Bard College at Simon’s Rock in Massachusetts and said they would pay tuition through a foundation, an offer they claim Miller used “to create a sense of indebtedness.” They allege in legal documents that Miller provided Gibson with alcohol and drugs, including LSD, marijuana, and ketamine, and physically abused them. In December 2021, Gibson’s parents say they flew to Vermont to check on Gibson at Miller’s home after Gibson dropped out of school only to find that Gibson didn’t have their driver’s license, car keys, or ATM card. The filing also claims Gibson’s parents found bruises on their body inflicted by Miller.

quote:

They believe Gibson has been traveling with Miller since then, including on the Hawaii trip where Miller was arrested. Other legal documents say the court hasn’t been able to find Miller to serve the order.

quote:

She also claimed that Miller had limited Gibson’s phone usage, writing, “Ezra ‘allows’ Tokata use Ezra’s phone w/ Ezra control.”

quote:

After people questioned the authenticity of Gibson’s Instagram statement, they posted a video to the same account to defend it. “Nobody is controlling my Instagram account. I don’t have a phone right now out of my own personal conviction,”

quote:

Shortly after Gibson posted the video, their uncle, Chief Bear Cross, who claimed he hosted Gibson and Miller in December 2021, released a detailed account of his experience with Miller. Speaking with Last Real Indians, Chief claimed that Miller told him they were smoking marijuana with ketamine, brought a gun into his home, and was constantly surveilling Gibson.

quote:

About a week after news broke of Jumping Eagle and Iron Eyes’ order of protection, yet another unnamed mother and her 12-year-old child in Greenfield, Massachusetts, were granted a temporary harassment prevention order against Miller.

quote:

According to the Daily Beast, which reviewed the signed order and spoke with the mother, her child, and a neighbor, Miller threatened the family and acted inappropriately toward their child, who is nonbinary. They say Miller, who shared a mutual friend with the neighbor, had several outbursts while in the neighbor’s home the evening of February 2. At some point, they say, Miller became fixated on the 12-year-old, complimenting them excessively and moving their chair closer, which the child says made them “really uncomfortable” and “scared.” Both adults say they noticed Miller’s eyes were dilated and they were wearing a bulletproof vest.

quote:

On June 23, Rolling Stone reported that a 25-year-old mother and her three young kids (ages 1 to 5) have been living on Miller’s 96-acre farm in Stamford, Vermont, in unsafe conditions for the past few months. According to the report, Miller met the woman in March in Hilo, Hawaii — the same trip on which Gibson joined them and during which they were arrested twice for assault and disorderly conduct. The children’s father says Miller flew his family out of Hawaii without notifying him and that he hasn’t been able to see or speak to them since they left.

They've also got warrants out in Germany and the U.K.

quote:

Speaking to Variety, a woman who identified herself as Nadia said Miller displayed alarming behavior while visiting her Berlin apartment in February 2022. Nadia said she had been friends with Miller for two years but hadn’t seen them in person since the pair had had sex in 2020. She invited Miller over and says their mood changed abruptly when she asked them not to smoke inside. “That just set them off,” Nadia said. “I asked them to leave about 20 times, maybe more. They started insulting me. I’m a ‘transphobic piece of poo poo.’ I’m a ‘Nazi.’ It became so, so stressful for me. They were going around my house, looking at everything, touching everything, spreading tobacco leaves on the floor. It felt disgusting and very intrusive.”

While Nadia clarified that she did not believe Miller would sexually assault her, she still feared they “could somehow attack me physically.” Five people Nadia spoke with after the incident confirmed her account, and in April, she filed a criminal complaint. “I totally felt unsafe,” she told Variety.

quote:

A new report detailed allegations of grooming and manipulation.

A new in-depth report from Business Insider shed more light on Miller’s alleged behavior during their time in Iceland in 2020, including local rumors that the actor had started a cult. According to the report, Miller stayed at an Airbnb, where they invited artists and other young people to join them. Unnamed witnesses who spoke with Insider claimed that Miller would hold court with their guests every day and “alluded to possessing supernatural powers.”

Another young woman quoted in the story claimed that she met Miller during a kind of musical retreat organized by the actor. She was there for almost a week, during which she alleged Miller was psychologically abusive and “super manipulative.”

The report also included detailed allegations from Oliver Ignatius, identified as a former music collaborator of Miller’s. Ignatius alleged that he witnessed Miller’s controlling demeanor toward Gibson, which included the actor’s insistence that they change her name from Tokata to Gibson. Gibson denied the allegations. Ignatius further alleged that Miller took Gibson’s phone once they returned to Vermont in May and yelled at her for wearing makeup. Gibson, however, pushed back on the allegations, telling Insider, “That was queer dialogue about a badly applied rouge on my part, which I appreciated. I think the fact that a catty comment made by a queer person about makeup being considered abuse is actually quite homophobic rhetoric.”

Rosie D’Ercole, a 24-year-old fashion designer and yoga teacher, also defended Miller in the article. Responding to claims from Ignatius that Miller yelled at her for putting a feather in her hair while on a beach in Hawaii, allegedly accusing her of appropriating Native American culture, she called Ignatius’s claims “drastically overexaggerated.” Her email continued, “Ezra has done nothing other than try to protect people close to them despite the onslaught of press and defamation.”

Gibson also confirmed to Insider that Miller has been wearing a bulletproof vest in recent months, calling it “a fashionable safety measure in response to actual attacks and death threats.”

quote:

According to a Vermont State Police report reviewed by Variety, Miller has been charged with felony burglary in Stamford, Vermont. Police weren’t able to locate Miller until Sunday, when they were issued a citation to appear in Vermont Superior Court on September 26.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So do they just keep handing out court dates expecting them to show up every time they get charged or arrested? Past a certain point it must be common knowledge that Ezra is not acting in good faith or anything approaching rationality, I assume sooner or later they would have good reason to detain them for an extended period.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So do they just keep handing out court dates expecting them to show up every time they get charged or arrested? Past a certain point it must be common knowledge that Ezra is not acting in good faith or anything approaching rationality, I assume sooner or later they would have good reason to detain them for an extended period.

Famous person + moving to a different jurisdiction.

Hawaii isn't going to extradite them from Vermont for assault and disorderly conduct.

Same with Iceland, the U.K., Germany, etc. None of them are going to extradite a famous/rich person for an assault charge and some misdemeanors.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 10, 2022

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jimbot posted:

:siren::siren::siren:EZRA MILLER GOES BY THEY/THEM PRONOUS:siren::siren::siren:

It's going to be really frustrating when Ezra Miller blows up a hospital and I have to be like, "Yeah, I know... but it's still they/them."

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 10, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
WB is in a weird spot with Flash and I'm hard pressed to recall a situation really in line with it. Maybe IIRC Kevin Spacey had a film in the can at one point? If the film has wrapped and, from all accounts, at least appears to be decent, they obviously want it out and hope to make some money off it. But releasing it in the wake of all this Ezra poo poo is for a sure a weird look and strange conundrum. Dude has major issues and I suspect things are going end badly there.

Then again, the public loves a train wreck and I could honestly see the box office actually being driven UP if they just go ahead and bill it as "starring Ezra Miller" and see what happens. So I dunno. If they have a good film locked and loaded then just burying it doesn't make a ton of sense but they're not going to re-shoot the entire thing to edit out the star either I wouldn't think.

My money is on them releasing it with an aggressive PR campaign surrounding it and then forgetting who Ezra Miller even is. If it's successful or if they're worried about it, all they have to do is tack on a death scene or something and then shift to Wally West via some time travel poo poo or whatever and slap a bright yellow costume on a dude in the post credits talking to Michael Keaton. If it tanks, they can blame that on Ezra.

I doubt they'll just eat it but then again: Batgirl.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's going to be really frustrating when Ezra Miller blows up a hospital and I have to be like, "Yeah, I know... but it's still they/them."

Fixed it.

I got it correct all 14 times in the previous post and then slipped up on the one sentence follow up post. :sigh:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah I'm going to wait for everything to shake out because if they've been showing up to scheduled reshoots they can't be unhinged from reality if their handlers can wrangle them to a set and production doesn't seem to be held up by them.

I've known more than a few kooky people who have gotten into arguments and thrown out of bars, sometimes people getting shuffled out of bars are being shuffled out because they can't stand and some are because they're rowdy or poo poo like Ezra. I'm not going to condemn someone for "lovely" behaviour that tantamounts to being a rowdy drunk

All of the other stuff is SUPER sketch, the thing for me is that all of what we're hearing is the parents and some of that stuff is written it seems for maximum shock factor.

HE SCOOTED HIS CHAIR CLOSER TO THE THEY/THEM CHILD. HIS PUPILS DILATED LIKE DINNER PLATES. HIS BULLET PROOF VEST ETC

I'll be honest if I was dummy rich I would absolutely have a bulletproof vest in my wardrobe. There would be a better, more sturdy and military tested vest for actual bullet-stopping use, but that one stays like, under the bed and in the car.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

forest spirit posted:

Yeah I'm going to wait for everything to shake out because if they've been showing up to scheduled reshoots they can't be unhinged from reality if their handlers can wrangle them to a set and production doesn't seem to be held up by them.

I've known more than a few kooky people who have gotten into arguments and thrown out of bars, sometimes people getting shuffled out of bars are being shuffled out because they can't stand and some are because they're rowdy or poo poo like Ezra. I'm not going to condemn someone for "lovely" behaviour that tantamounts to being a rowdy drunk

All of the other stuff is SUPER sketch, the thing for me is that all of what we're hearing is the parents and some of that stuff is written it seems for maximum shock factor.

HE SCOOTED HIS CHAIR CLOSER TO THE THEY/THEM CHILD. HIS PUPILS DILATED LIKE DINNER PLATES. HIS BULLET PROOF VEST ETC

I mean, that's not totally unfair to withhold judgement as a general rule until they are officially convicted.

But, what are the non-creepy reasons for why a ~30-year old person you've never met before shows up at your house drunk/high in a bullet proof vest to talk to your 12-year old - and says they need to talk to them because they heard about them from the other 12-year old that they hang out with who lives next door - and spends the night petting your kid, telling you how beautiful your kid is, and how they have a special connection?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 10, 2022

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You do not have to stick up for the child groomer on these forums

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Wait, the parents had that entire exchange, and then Ezra, friend of the kid next door, was allowed by them to spend the night?

I am not defending a groomer. I don't think queer people generally need to be helping other younger queer people, but from my understanding (and I could be completely wrong) it's a difficult and problematic situation to be in - a lot of queer youth are abused by family and the lifeline thrown to them is usually thrown by older queer people who have an understanding of those situations. The problematic part is sometimes the youth are going from one trap to another. Sometimes this isn't the case but I am not about to draw a line on the sand when I don't know the whole story.

I think this is as nuanced as I can make it, so if we want to move the discussion to the sexual abuse in Hollywood thread I'm game. I don't want to excuse anyone's bad behaviour but everyone's got a shaky hair trigger

The Flash is pretty cool tho.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe IIRC Kevin Spacey had a film in the can at one point?

Spacey was originally going to star as J. Paul Getty in All the Money in the World, and the film had been completed. Two months before the movie was set for release, the allegations came out against him, so Ridley Scott got Christopher Plummer to re-shoot all of Spacey's scenes in eight days.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

forest spirit posted:

Wait, the parents had that entire exchange, and then Ezra, friend of the kid next door, was allowed by them to spend the night?

No, they made Ezra leave that night.

It was a different minor (this one 14) in a different state whose parents let Ezra stay over.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

forest spirit posted:

I am not defending a groomer

Anyone who is calling someone a groomer is just riding an internet fad at this point. Before 2 years ago this just wasn't a thing and now suddenly it's everywhere. Learn to spot a moral panic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BiggerBoat posted:

WB is in a weird spot with Flash and I'm hard pressed to recall a situation really in line with it. Maybe IIRC Kevin Spacey had a film in the can at one point? If the film has wrapped and, from all accounts, at least appears to be decent, they obviously want it out and hope to make some money off it. But releasing it in the wake of all this Ezra poo poo is for a sure a weird look and strange conundrum. Dude has major issues and I suspect things are going end badly there.

Then again, the public loves a train wreck and I could honestly see the box office actually being driven UP if they just go ahead and bill it as "starring Ezra Miller" and see what happens. So I dunno. If they have a good film locked and loaded then just burying it doesn't make a ton of sense but they're not going to re-shoot the entire thing to edit out the star either I wouldn't think.

My money is on them releasing it with an aggressive PR campaign surrounding it and then forgetting who Ezra Miller even is. If it's successful or if they're worried about it, all they have to do is tack on a death scene or something and then shift to Wally West via some time travel poo poo or whatever and slap a bright yellow costume on a dude in the post credits talking to Michael Keaton. If it tanks, they can blame that on Ezra.

I doubt they'll just eat it but then again: Batgirl.

There really isn't a similar situation. This is new territory for Hollywood, and could set a precedent for how things are handled in the future, for better or worse. The closest two are the Kevin Spacey movie that you mentioned, All the Money in the World, where they were either done filming, or almost done filming and digitally replaced Spacey with Christopher Plummer, and I guess the Zack Snyder Vegas zombie movie, Army of the Dead, where they (loving seamlessly) replaced Chris D'Elia with Tig Notaro. But those aren't really the same, because the replaced actors weren't really the lead in either movie (Plummer might have been top billed, but that's more because he's Christopher god drat Plummer. He was not the main star of the movie), and this is a movie called The Flash. I imagine it would be a much bigger deal to replace the lead in a super hero movie, both in regards to time/effort, and potentially in contracts. Also, it's a much bigger event movie than either of those.

I agree that I think WB's big game plan here is to push hard on releasing the movie and then ignore Miller moving forward. It's not the best plan, morally, and may in fact be a terrible plan, but it may also be the only plan they have, barring scrapping the entire movie and eating $200 million.

A post credit Wally West scene would actually be a pretty smart idea, now that you bring it up. Problem is, most people only care about one Flash, and that's Barry Allen. So maybe an alternate universe Barry Allen, since Marvel has already softened the ground there with Spider-Man: No Way Home?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Excited for The Flash red carpet:

“Ezra! Who are you wearing?”

“It’s actually from several different people sewn together!”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Splint Chesthair posted:

Excited for The Flash red carpet:

“Ezra! Who are you wearing?”

“It’s actually from several different people sewn together!”

I know it's a joke (and a fun one), but I'd be shocked if WB let Ezra Miller anywhere near the red carpet. It'll be all Keaton, and Affleck, and whoever else is in the movie that I've forgotten right now, and any reporter who so much as brings up the star of the movie will be shut down fast.

Then again, WB is making a lot of bad choices right now, so maybe it'll be the Ezra Miller show.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Anyone who is calling someone a groomer is just riding an internet fad at this point. Before 2 years ago this just wasn't a thing and now suddenly it's everywhere. Learn to spot a moral panic.

I see where you're coming from, I just want to be clear when I'm being told I stick up for grooming.

Also someone please hack WB and release batgirl

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

A post credit Wally West scene would actually be a pretty smart idea, now that you bring it up. Problem is, most people only care about one Flash, and that's Barry Allen. So maybe an alternate universe Barry Allen, since Marvel has already softened the ground there with Spider-Man: No Way Home?

I think if the movie is good it won't matter and, from what I've heard, it's already a time shifting alternate universe reboot thing and I doubt anyone will care if a dude in a bitching yellow costume shows up and Poochie left for his home planet here. Is the divide from a character identification standpoint between Wally and Barry all that large really? I honestly don't know since I don't read DC nor The Flash much but I thought it was about on parallel with Jon Stewart and Hal Jordan as far as who the "real" character is and I honestly doubt most fans would give a poo poo, especially as a graceful way to wash their hands of Ezra Miller now and forever.

We don't have to recast Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent or Diana Prince here exactly.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BiggerBoat posted:

I think if the movie is good it won't matter and, from what I've heard, it's already a time shifting alternate universe reboot thing and I doubt anyone will care if a dude in a bitching yellow costume shows up and Poochie left for his home planet here. Is the divide from a character identification standpoint between Wally and Barry all that large really? I honestly don't know since I don't read DC nor The Flash much but I thought it was about on parallel with Jon Stewart and Hal Jordan as far as who the "real" character is and I honestly doubt most fans would give a poo poo, especially as a graceful way to wash their hands of Ezra Miller now and forever.

We don't have to recast Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent or Diana Prince here exactly.

I guess you're not wrong. I will say that Flash is more popular than Green Lantern, especially after a successful 8 season CW show with Barry Allen front and center. But you're right, we're not talking about the big three.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I unironically crave the day I no longer have to hear about Ezra Miller being a creepy, hostile rear end in a top hat in this thread.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

forest spirit posted:

I'll be honest if I was dummy rich I would absolutely have a bulletproof vest in my wardrobe. There would be a better, more sturdy and military tested vest for actual bullet-stopping use, but that one stays like, under the bed and in the car.

forest spirit posted:

I am not defending a groomer. I don't think queer people generally need to be helping other younger queer people, but from my understanding (and I could be completely wrong) it's a difficult and problematic situation to be in - a lot of queer youth are abused by family and the lifeline thrown to them is usually thrown by older queer people who have an understanding of those situations. The problematic part is sometimes the youth are going from one trap to another. Sometimes this isn't the case but I am not about to draw a line on the sand when I don't know the whole story.

I think this is as nuanced as I can make it, so if we want to move the discussion to the sexual abuse in Hollywood thread I'm game. I don't want to excuse anyone's bad behaviour but everyone's got a shaky hair trigger

The Flash is pretty cool tho.

Did you read the article? The bar attack happened after the bartender let Ezra do whatever they wanted for a while, disrupting the place regularly, and getting a pass because they were famous. Then Ezra like tried to get in like the living dead slamming and trying to break open the door, a pattern observed in Germany, Vermont, and Hawaii.

Ezra is a public menace at this point, and has largely coasted in their riches and fame to shield themselves. Why give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has harmed multiple people across the world (and not the woman in Berlin who was literally traumatized from Ezra trying to break into her home and threatening her). Ezra needs to go away now, but no, we got to have our loving super hero movie. It's bad all around, even to Ezra.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah they are a menace. Last time I'll say anything but it seems like all of this has happened in the past 4 months. I think they are going through some sort of mental health meltdown, either not taking drugs or taking the wrong drugs, and it's causing harm to many people. I don't care about WB or the production but what I do consider is the people in Ezra's orbit. So far they haven't been sentenced with anything ghastly, and I just did a bit more googling and the two people they have "kidnapped" have come out after the fact to say they were saved from an abusive situation. It's reported that Ezra is some sort of Carmen San Diego slipping through police handcuffs when they have apparently been filming reshoots and showing up to zoom court dates. If someone wanted to book them it would have happened

Like I said I think there's a better thread for this

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

forest spirit posted:

Yeah they are a menace. Last time I'll say anything but it seems like all of this has happened in the past 4 months. I think they are going through some sort of mental health meltdown, either not taking drugs or taking the wrong drugs, and it's causing harm to many people.

The alleged grooming of one of the minors has been happening for 6 years and their first (public) assault was 3 years ago.

I agree that they might be going through some kind of addiction/mental health breakdown, but it is has been a LOT longer than 4 months.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 10, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

forest spirit posted:

I think they are going through some sort of mental health meltdown, either not taking drugs or taking the wrong drugs, and it's causing harm to many people.

This isn't really a bold, controversial or even insightful assertion. Ezra Miller's public mental health breakdown is pretty much laid bare right now and we're mainly taking about it in the comic book movie thread because DC/WB has a comic book film in the can starring that actor that they have no idea how to what to do with. Sorry, I'm not trying to gently caress with you or be a dick here but saying that Ezra Miller appears to have problems with drugs, addiction and mental health issues right now is pretty much a matter of fact at the moment and I agree, it's going to end badly there without some type of high profile professional help.

I'm getting Amy Winehouse vibes at the moment, tbh, but I guess there's hope if Ezra wants it and accepts help. Robert Downey had similar headlines before Iron Man and he got treatment so I guess a positive outcome is possible.

I don't see why the subject needs its own thread, though, why that's a better place to talk about it or even what that might look like unless there was a "Crazy Celebrity" thread somewhere? A GBS "Ezra Miller is hosed Up, Yo" thread is going to suck.

Comic Book
Movie
Actor
Character

In the Comic Book movie thread seems like the natural place to get into it I think. I personally find it fascinating, if disturbing. I have addiction and mental health problems myself but lack Miller's bank account for one and often wonder how far off the rails I might be capable of going given all that freedom. Pretty sure it wouldn't involve underage kids though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BiggerBoat posted:

...I honestly doubt most fans would give a poo poo, especially as a graceful way to wash their hands of Ezra Miller now and forever.

Oh, I want them to make this movie an even bigger mess. They should deepfake and redub every scene Ezra is in with a new actor. Use Robert Sheehan or someone. Send him to the premiere and press tour, claim he's always been the star of the film, and never admit anything. WB should gaslight all of society.

And the deepfake should be Cats-level bad, completely uncanny and unconvincing effects work.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Xealot posted:

Oh, I want them to make this movie an even bigger mess. They should deepfake and redub every scene Ezra is in with a new actor. Use Robert Sheehan or someone. Send him to the premiere and press tour, claim he's always been the star of the film, and never admit anything. WB should gaslight all of society.

And the deepfake should be Cats-level bad, completely uncanny and unconvincing effects work.

I hope they get the guy who erased Superman’s mustache.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The crazy part is WB waiting a year to release the movie. Every month they wait is another month for Ezra to get caught doing some new, worse, criminal thing, or get killed, or get killed doing some new worse criminal thing.

Their trajectory is steeply downward, given the latest was apparently breaking into some randos house to steal booze.

Smart thing would be release the movie now, while your star isn't on trial/dead.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/phil_lewis_/status/1557444793265000449?s=21&t=lyBnZcAD0H0V5N9iMvINhg

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The crazy part is WB waiting a year to release the movie. Every month they wait is another month for Ezra to get caught doing some new, worse, criminal thing, or get killed, or get killed doing some new worse criminal thing.

Their trajectory is steeply downward, given the latest was apparently breaking into some randos house to steal booze.

Smart thing would be release the movie now, while your star isn't on trial/dead.

I guess but I don't know. If Miller crashes and burns in spectacular fashion from an OD, a suicide or a car wreck, the Flash movie could very well generate its own ridiculous level of morbid hype. Not saying I'm hoping for that or that it's a healthy thing to even think about but America is gonna America and we, as a nation, love a spectacular sensationalist and tragic train wreck. See: reality TV. Or even Heath Ledger's death, which undoubtedly added to the hype for TDK, for better or worse.

The way our society is so horribly constructed, a high profile terrible conclusion for this actor is basically free publicity that I have no doubt would drive ticket sales and I can easily see it raking in millions while many of us wring our hands about it. I know that sounds cynical.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess but I don't know. If Miller crashes and burns in spectacular fashion from an OD, a suicide or a car wreck, the Flash movie could very well generate its own ridiculous level of morbid hype. Not saying I'm hoping for that or that it's a healthy thing to even think about but America is gonna America and we, as a nation, love a spectacular sensationalist and tragic train wreck. See: reality TV. Or even Heath Ledger's death, which undoubtedly added to the hype for TDK, for better or worse.

The way our society is so horribly constructed, a high profile terrible conclusion for this actor is basically free publicity that I have no doubt would drive ticket sales and I can easily see it raking in millions while many of us wring our hands about it. I know that sounds cynical.

Oh it's definitely cynical. But it's also correct.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Ledger wasn't a trainwreck, he was a tragedy. It wouldn't be the same thing.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Miller taking so much speed their heart pulls an Alien Chestburster, or Miller tragically flying off Dead Thems Curve on a rocket segway or whatever could help in a cynical spectacle way, but Miller on trial for touching teens or shooting somebody probably doesnt.

Its a lovely gamble on a movie thats already a big gamble.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Kind of...? But I'm not sure. They're not certain what they have but, from all accounts think the movie is good. A bunch of rich people hemming and hawing about what to do in the wake of a potential publicity nightmare and full on media assault kind of lands for me. Picturing a bunch of bald white men chomping cigars wondering how to deal with their androgynous mentally ill lead while they crunch numbers and talk with consultants makes perfect sense to me.

And I feel confident thinking that the mental health or ultimate outcome of Miller is pretty low on their list of genuine concerns. And I'm not even saying it should be but, regardless, they're likely pouring over "how this will LOOK" more than anything. They're trying to hammer out how they'll be perceived along with the best way to maximize profits from this and, in fairness to them, it's a weird one for which there's not a ton of precedent, as has been pointed out.

Personally, I'd just release the god damned thing.

live with fruit posted:

Ledger wasn't a trainwreck, he was a tragedy. It wouldn't be the same thing.

Agreed and I used the word "tragic" specifically in relation to that. Sorry if I worded it badly.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 10, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

*The Joker, in the WB Shareholders meeting* It’s simple, we uh, kill Ezra Miller

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't want to quote the whole article, but that story is much wilder than even the headline would lead you to believe.

Other than the sad and concerning stuff about the kids, I just want quote this part:

Miller's only comment on the series of allegations:

quote:

"You cannot touch me I am in another universe.”

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

thrawn527 posted:

There really isn't a similar situation. This is new territory for Hollywood, and could set a precedent for how things are handled in the future, for better or worse. The closest two are the Kevin Spacey movie that you mentioned, All the Money in the World, where they were either done filming, or almost done filming and digitally replaced Spacey with Christopher Plummer, and I guess the Zack Snyder Vegas zombie movie, Army of the Dead, where they (loving seamlessly) replaced Chris D'Elia with Tig Notaro. But those aren't really the same, because the replaced actors weren't really the lead in either movie (Plummer might have been top billed, but that's more because he's Christopher god drat Plummer. He was not the main star of the movie), and this is a movie called The Flash. I imagine it would be a much bigger deal to replace the lead in a super hero movie, both in regards to time/effort, and potentially in contracts. Also, it's a much bigger event movie than either of those.

I agree that I think WB's big game plan here is to push hard on releasing the movie and then ignore Miller moving forward. It's not the best plan, morally, and may in fact be a terrible plan, but it may also be the only plan they have, barring scrapping the entire movie and eating $200 million.

yeah, there really isn't any obvious precedent for this situation. There have of course been big-budget or high-profile movies starring scandal-plagued actors before (besides the examples you mention, we recently got Armie Hammer in Death on the Nile and Ansel Elgort in West Side Story), but not one that cost $200-300 million and where the actor has faced a steady drip-drip-drip of extremely bad headlines for months and where the actor plays the title character and is in almost every scene.

according to the Variety article the other day, WB's gambit here is to proceed with the film's release, minimize Miller's name in the marketing, and hope that people will see it for the DC IP and supporting cast like Keaton, and that Miller isn't a high-profile enough name for most of the audience to be familiar with the allegations. I guess we'll see if that ends up working for them

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Okay, I had just seen more than a couple posts about people wanting to steer the thread away from it. I don't really post in the sex and hollywood I just didn't want to poo poo this one up.

Just looking at one situation at at time, this is the parents' account of the situation regarding one of the people he has kidnapped in his home:

https://lastrealindians.com/news/2022/6/10/chief-bear-testifies-ezra-miller-groomed-my-niece

I think it says "my neice" but it may have been written by the parents themselves. It is incredibly salacious

And Gibson Iron Eyes account: https://www.instagram.com/tokatawin/

They have a video response and I think two text posts explaining their side. It seems their parents are deadnaming them and they have a strained relationship and Gibson is seeking distance from them.

The parents account seems insane. Insane. But unless Gibson Iron Eyes has 12 IQ (they very clearly do not) it's hard to say they're held in an inescapable drug/gun compound while Ezra is presumably on a warner lot in a superhero outfit