Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I am the king!

I know, I know, I am as surprised as the rest of you, but apparently this bit of paper I found in the street gives me “Eternal and dynastic rights to settle in a region of my choice, and to found a city to last the ages.”
Also I'm a eight foot tall Croctapus, and you guys look tasty. Might makes right and all that.

Now, I don't want to seem all autocratic, so you guys get to help me make some decisions here and there. The glory is all mine, sanitation and planning is on your heads. Which come off OOOH so easily!

So, lets get on that ship and set sail for new lands and great opportunities!

Welcome to Songs of Syx.

This is a city state simulator along the lines of dwarf fortress or Rimoworld, though where they focus on the micro scale, Songs of Syx is much more of a macro game – how macro?
Late game cities can have 80 thousand individually tracked peasants running around!

Of course, it doesn't start that way, first you randomly generate your world.

The from that you select a region, the in that region you select a map.

Then you place down your throne room and greet your first ten guys.

They all have names and needs.....

Soulcrusher? more like soul crushed....

….but to be honest, after a bit of play your going to have hundreds of the buggers – so no dorf fortress style naming here!

Soon, our town will grow! But for now, we need to focus on the first thing – where to settle. With no map seed yet, I'll have to choose the location, but you guys can choose the basic location. While I will of course try and find somewhere cool to settle, with all the things a growing city needs, I'll need a priority!

A – Coastal – good access to fish
B – Fertile – good land for crops, with rivers.
C – Forested – lots of wood, it makes building a bit harder, but there are lots of raw materials.
D - Plains– flat, dull, but plenty of building land.
E – Mountains – ore, caves and valleys – food will be harder to find, but we can dig into the mountains themselves!

We also need our habitat

X – Northern – Colder temps
Y – Central – mid range temps
Z – Southern – Warmer temps.

After that, we have two races to choose from as our starting ten – there will be immigrants from others as well (there are three in the game so far), but this will be our mian race to begin with

1 –
2 -

After this, I'll lay down the throne room and the next vote before we start will be more stylistic in choices.

Vote my peons! Vote!

Updates!
Part 1 - The founding of Minas Baul.
Part 2 - The bare nessessities
Part 3 – Infrastructure week
Part 4 – The importance of metal.
Part 5 – Minertown.
Part 6 - Tithes, Mines and Murder.
Part 7 - Looking to our defences.
Part 8 - Krull returns!
Part 9 - Adding bling to impress citizens.
Part 10 - More Food Needed.
Part 11 - unfinished projects....
Part 12 - Grand Walls
Part 13 - The Grand Libary.

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I have a vision

a vision of a great city, spiraling up to the skies themselves

a mountain city

Voting E, for placing a spire to pierce the heavens, up in the mountains

Besides that, I don't want the potential scenario to become too cruel, so I calculated the most logical approach for the other options:

Climate Y -central, medium temperatures.

This allows us to take Cretonians (1) without too many drawbacks for putting them into the mountains, while at the same time securing our food production. Let's face it, mining and poo poo is important, but a dead city won't do a lot of it, anyway. So let's try and make sure our mountain city doesn't end up starving to death.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 3, 2021

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Libluini posted:

I have a vision

a mountain city

Voting D, for placing a spire to pierce the heavens, up in the mountains

Besides that, I don't want the potential scenario to become too cruel, so I calculated the most logical approach for the other options:

This allows us to take Cretonians (1) without too many drawbacks for putting them into the mountains, while at the same time securing our food production. Let's face it, mining and poo poo is important, but a dead city won't do a lot of it, anyway. So let's try and make sure our mountain city doesn't end up starving to death.

I was thinking of putting together a proposal that would put people in the place least viable for them (Cretonians in mountains or Dondorians in plains), but I like you're vision better.

Seconding this!

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Libluini posted:

I have a vision

a mountain city

Voting D, for placing a spire to pierce the heavens, up in the mountains

Thirdin' this

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Do you guys mean E since that is Mountains? Plains being D.

For my Vote:

E

X

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
I've never heard of this but it sounds really interesting.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Libluini posted:

I have a vision

a mountain city

Fourthing this.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 3, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Oops yeah, was getting too excited for proofreading there. :v:

I've corrected my original post so that "mountains" correctly refers to option "E".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

I have a vision

a mountain city

This is not bad, and I'm fifthing your E vote for mountains, but I'd prefer X for a cold climate, and we subsequently want to take Dondorians (2) for basically maximum Skyrim.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Cold Coastal Dondorians. No comfort for the little buggers.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

EX2. The environment will sort out our foes before we do :v:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
BZ2

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

How do people find these games, voting EY2.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

Libluini posted:

I have a vision

a mountain city

I'd like to see this one happen, sounds like good conditions. Voting this.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mountains are the runaway victor so far, with the cretonians having a lead of two.

The central regions lead over the frozen north by only one vote however!

I also forgot something very important!

What shall our empire/city be called?

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 4, 2021

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No opinion on the name, but what is the defecation stat for? :psydwarf:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tias posted:

No opinion on the name, but what is the defecation stat for? :psydwarf:

You need to build toilets. failure to do so makes people unhappy - and constipated.
Oddly enough, you don't need drink atm, just food and toilets. its kinda the opposite of DF, where they need drink and food, but never poop.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
For our wondrous empire/city, I'll suggest Hard Place as a name.

Got all those giant mountainous rock-type landmasses in our future, may as well have a fitting name.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My suggestion would be Death Spire, so we can more easily make "Death Spiral"-jokes when things turn south later.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In that case, I recommend a strong name from Saga of the Ere Dwellers: Drittsker (or the less glamorous English translation: Poop Rock)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Death Spire is a great name

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Grey Hunter posted:

Mountains are the runaway victor so far, with the cretonians having a lead of two.

The central regions lead over the frozen north by only one vote however!

I also forgot something very important!

What shall our empire/city be called?

Eniwetok, for luck :v:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Eniwetok, for luck :v:

Hey hey, its not a city destined to be a island hellhole filled with cannibals thank you very much.
It's a city destined to be a MOUNTAIN hellhole filled with cannibals.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Can you terraform at all? A moat would be close enough.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Libluini posted:

My suggestion would be Death Spire, so we can more easily make "Death Spiral"-jokes when things turn south later.

Why do you always have the best suggestions :V

(This)

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Grey Hunter posted:

Hey hey, its not a city destined to be a island hellhole filled with cannibals thank you very much.
It's a city destined to be a MOUNTAIN hellhole filled with cannibals.

Mt.Eniewetok it is then

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Libluini posted:

Good idea, also voting for Death Spire

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

E
Z

I like the idea of tropical dwarves. If ranked choice voting is allowed at all, I would Y as my backup.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Hmm. 'DONdorians'.

Minas Nú.

(A quick search and the first translation program says 'Nu' is 'Trap' in Sindar, the root of 'Minas' as in Minas Anor(Tower of Sun)/Minas Tirith(Tower of Guard), Minas Ithil(Tower of Moon)/Minas Morgul(Tower of Sorcery). 'Tower Trap' or 'Tower of Trap'.)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 4, 2021

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Bloodly posted:

Hmm. 'DONdorians'.

Minas Nú.

(A quick search and the first translation program says 'Nu' is 'Trap' in Sindar, the root of 'Minas' as in Minas Anor(Tower of Sun)/Minas Tirith(Tower of Guard), Minas Ithil(Tower of Moon)/Minas Morgul(Tower of Sorcery). 'Tower Trap' or 'Tower of Trap'.)

My usual sources claim that nu is a preposition for 'under' (as in nu-Minas, under-tower). Indeed they show a remarkable lack of words for trap or any synonyms I could think up. But I did find the word for torment, giving us Minas Baul.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

idhrendur posted:

But I did find the word for torment, giving us Minas Baul.

Seconded.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Minas Baul

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Misclick Mountain is probably right out.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
E,Y

Minas Baul sounds like a fun choice.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Death Spire and Minas baul are both at 4, so the next vote clinches it!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

gently caress it. Minas Baul

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I loo at the ten faces looking up at me - my new subjects.
“So let me get this straight.” I say. “Not only have you made me your king, you want to trek up into the mountains to found our new kingdom, and you want to call the city….” I look at my notes once again in disbelief. “Minas Baul.”
Enthusiastic nodding.
“Minas. Baul. Meaning “Tower of Torment.”
More Enthusiastic nodding.
“Right, Okay, I just wanted to check.” I sigh deeply. “You know, in some ways this is a load off my conscience. Whatever bad things happen to you were bound to happen without me coming along.”
Blank cow like stares
“Okay guys! Good Job! Hitch up the wagons, we’re going to found Minas Baul!”
Enthusiastic cheers

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 1 - the founding of Minas Baul.

We have spent the best part of two month crossing this land - I have attached a map so that future generations - if there are any - can see how the world looked before we began our works.

As you can see, we set off from the vibrant coast, with its bountiful fish stocks, marched past many fertile plains and valleys, ripe for flowing fields of crops, passed through many woods teaming with animals and stocked with useful materials.
And ended up here.

Apparently my subjects wish to found a nation based on mineral wealth - and as I survey the land, taking in the raw materials, they unload the many carts and begin work.

I return to find a single stone building, but no sign of the carts. My subjects await me with slack jawed grins.
“Welcome back my liege!” One, named Willaims shouts - “we have finished your throne room!”
“My throne room? But what about the other buildings! Where is the warehouse? The granary? Your own homes?”
“We decided it wouldn’t be a proper kingdom without a throne room!” The idiot replies..
“So you used all our supplies on it?”
“Yep!” grins Williams.
“Oh gods. So where are the carts and animals? Maybe we can go get some more supplies.” I stop as the grin on his face widens.
“Come this way sire!” he says, and I follow him into the throne room. (Building. It's not really a room if it stands on its own is it.)

Inside I saw great piles of wood, the fruit and grain we had remaining, but not much else.
“So you took the carts apart for wood… and so many eggs…. but where are the animals?”
“My lord! As a grand gesture to show the gods we have no intention of giving up easily!”
“But you don’t eat meat!”
“Nah, its about the symbolism, innit.” says Williams.
I slap a tentacle to my face.
“Right, lets get going, bring me the local map, we have some choices to make regarding our building ascetics.” He looks at me blankly. “We need to decide how we are going to build.”
“Ah, right boss, I mean sire!”
Sigh. This is going to be a long reign.

Building Aesthetics

So, we have founded our kingdom, while the opening buildings are going to need to be done in a certain way, we do have some early choices for our kingdom.
Firstly, how are we going to generally build to begin with.

1 - General ethos
A - Grand planning - everything is properly set out as a grand city from the start
B - Organic growth - we start off rough and ready, knowing we’re going to be knocking it down in ten years time to make way for a grand palace. This should look more like a village that turns into a city.

2 - settlement style
A - Centralized - build around a central area, with people heading out for their jobs.
B- Dispersed - we have buildings grouped around the resources, in effect making several smaller villages to begin with.

3 - building style
A - Square - nice and regular
B - Roundhouses - a more classic early medieval look.
C - Stately - the buildings have wings and alcoves, and are added to over time.

4 - The throne room and defences
A - The Grand Keep - We build a castle around the throne room, where we can live protected. Important buildings are built inside the castle walls.
B - The Grand Palace. - the throne room has no defences, but is a palace - the city is defended by an outer wall at strategic places.

Also feel free to come up with names for anything on the map so we all know where we are talking about.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
BBBA

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Voting for BABB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018