Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, scale is a bit off .

As for building, its not that bad - you can drop down 8 or so beds a click, and there is a copy room function that just lets you place lots of buildings at a time.

This is still early access, and they are adding things all the time, so the timescale could change.

Next up is supposed to be crime and policemen, and the ability for cities to fall to civil disturbances..... oh, sorry America....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

JcDent posted:

Maybe they should have gone for a different time scale, I'm lol'ing at people going three years without shelter or a toilet.

And you place individual furniture in the buildings in a game where you can have tens of thousands of citizens? This is truly the prequel to Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic!

Does a peasant poo poo in the woods?

E: what a way to start off a page :negative:

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Thanks for doing another SSLP Grey, can't always watch videos here. Is this the free demo or the early access paid version? (is there a difference?). So it sounds like you can copy paste once you have a good template building, can you copy a whole row or city block when things get crazy big?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 4 – The importance of metal.

Spring Year, 5

The great hall is finished, but now we still wait on the metal imports.

Apparently you can still die of exposure with beds. That or poor Deamon spent to much time outside.

I expand the fields.

Summer, Year 5

With little to do, my people enjoy themselves.

With idle hands, I start on the defensive wall.

Autumn, Year 5

A trader arrives! Will they bring me my metal? Most projects now need it.

The warehouse is soon bustling as the large goods stockpiles are loaded onto wagons.

I place some hearths, to keep my people warm and give them somewhere else to socialize.

The wall is completed, now my people can feel safe.

Winter, Year 5

With still no metal I expand the fruit fields once more and put down another dormitory.

Spring Year, 6

Our population jumps over a hundred. We have 8,000 gold, but no one will sell us metal yet.

The traders keep coming, but it seems to be export only.

No! Wait! Finally we are blessed with an import – this costs us half our money, but it's a start!

Summer, Year 6

I wait for the import, and order a bakery built, so we can make bread once the metal arrives!

Autumn, Year 6

I send my people out into the wilds once more for fruit.

Joy of joys! Metal!

The precious material is carted to the warehouse.

And soon we have a kitchen! No more raw fish for our people!

The bathhouse become the last of the infrastructure buildings to go down.

Winter, Year 6

With torches finished, the town is now lit at night.

Our bakery is making fresh bread.

And our weavers cloth.

We need cut stone for the bathhouse, so a masons yard and a tailor are ordered. We may need to wait on the next metal import to finish these.

The people, (all 145 of them!) are no longer completely happy – some of this is the rapid boom in population, but the lack of a bathhouse, new cloths is a problem.
They would also like to see a nobility and more awe.

The city is bustling, but there is still much to be done.

Do I focus on

A – The grandeur of our city
B – The cities military
C – securing a home grown source of metal production

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sammich Reaper posted:

Thanks for doing another SSLP Grey, can't always watch videos here. Is this the free demo or the early access paid version? (is there a difference?). So it sounds like you can copy paste once you have a good template building, can you copy a whole row or city block when things get crazy big?

Paid early access.

and yeah, I kinda drifted from the SS over the last couple of years, as the videos ate up so much time, I didn't have much time to game for myself. but with the better computer I have now, I think I should start doing some more - I have ideas for a few, but it's always seemed bit much.

ATM, I can't record videos as my kitchen is being ripped out and the ajoining dining room is full of boxes. so now I'm in the spare room next to my 4 year old and ss lps are a bit quieter!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
C seems to be the most pressing.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

C Get some metal going so we aren't reliant on the whims of merchants passing through

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
C The traders are too unreliable, time to corner the market on metal goods. It should make equipping a military much easier I'd imagine.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
C, since metal seems to be the big bottleneck.

Going by the second to last screenshot, we seem to have 14 Dondorians and 131 Cretonians in our city, is that right? And there appears to be a third race?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A – The grandeur of our city

How can we have a city without nobility? The first thing the people wanted was a throne room, how can we disappoint them?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Definitely C

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
C

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
We need some Copper!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

C

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

C

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A E S T H E T I C S

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

C

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Just make the ovens out of stone you fools

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Just make the ovens out of stone you fools

I know! apparently stone age people just age raw food like our poor citizens have been doing for the last 5 years.

I bet there are some of them complaining.

"Aaah, back in my day we didn't have these fancy things, we ate our fish raw, and that's how we liked it."
"You're my age, you've just been here with the nutcase of a king for longer!"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Grey Hunter posted:

They would also like to see a nobility and more awe.
I don't see why they'd need more nobility. Is King Grey Hunter not enough for them? Is his magnificence and ability to inspire work and total commitment to duty not something to aspire to? Are they not in Awe enough already?

They shall C the future of his reign!

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Kind of pointless to raise a military, or a nobility that is just a military with a caste system attached, without iron to forge swords.

C

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

C

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
A

Make everyone a noble! This way, everyone will be equal and we won't face a revolution later.

I see absolutely no drawback with this plan.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006

Libluini posted:

A

Make everyone a noble! This way, everyone will be equal and we won't face a revolution later.

I see absolutely no drawback with this plan.

Both the evil plot from the Incredibles AND hitting a little to close to home for certain troubled democracies.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 5 – Minertown.

Spring, Year 7

We cannot rely on this slow influx of metal – we must mine and refine our own!

The problem is the iron reserves are so far to the north. This will require a second settlement! The quickest way between the iron and coal is through the mountain. This will require some digging, as the cave are not quiet tunnels.

The other problem will be that this will require a network of warehouses to transport the goods. People are only willing to walk so far carrying goods.

I lay down a waystation in the caves, with a hut nearby.

Then a more substantial settlement for the metalworkers and coal miners. They should be close enough to town for other needs, but the beds should save some time.

The workers nap in the partly constructed warehouses, showing the houses are needed.

In what will become my shortest entry, we hear of a bandit king in the area. He plans to raid us!

Do we

A – Rush to train as many men as possible, and face his band,
B – Give in to the inevitable tithe? (25% of our goods)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

B

but develop infrastructure in the meantime.

Or hire a gang of circus clowns you've mistaken for great warriors.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
B Right now I feel like the meagre goods we have are less valuable than living workers. Get metal up, raise an army and grow a spine in a few years.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
A! Murder those fuckers

No one will gently caress with us again

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
B, this shouldn't distract us from becoming more self sufficient. But once we have a reliable income of metal, setting up a proper defensive force should be our next priority.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

B. My over 2000 hours of Crusader Kings say the best way to becoming overlord is to swear fealty to someone bigger then wait for the right moment to shank them.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Also, I'm taking the opportunity to be be a complete Tolkien dork and propose we name the path to the iron mine i groth gwathren (the shadowy tunnel). in ngryth gwethrin if we want it to be plural.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I just want to ask if I'm finally reading the map right. All those black parts of the map are mountains, and those lighter shades of black are tunnels that can be burrowed? And the only bodies of water on the map are the lake immediately to the north of our capital, the lake at the far northwest corner of the map, and the lakes in the valley (?) in the south?

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
A

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
A

I'm from Minas Baul and I say kill em all

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I just want to ask if I'm finally reading the map right. All those black parts of the map are mountains, and those lighter shades of black are tunnels that can be burrowed? And the only bodies of water on the map are the lake immediately to the north of our capital, the lake at the far northwest corner of the map, and the lakes in the valley (?) in the south?

Yep.

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

B, we can afford to give up some food and wood and such while we set up metal production. Now, once that's set up and we can make some weapons in the future, it'll be a different story..

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
B for now.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

B On the upside we seem to have set up our town center in a very defensible position once we haveetal for swords and whatnot.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
B. If this is a one-time or periodic thing instead of a constant one. It is, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Turtle
May 2, 2008

Hi, buddies!
B

All you've got is a wall! :( Tithe is 25%, but a bandit raid could be even more expensive.