Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
B - We don't have a source of magma so we can't deal with nobles yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

B - We don't have a source of magma so we can't deal with nobles yet.

That reminds me is still need to start to my project of making a D&D dungeon delve set 200 years later in the ruins of Boatmurdered

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
The elephants will murder you before you get within a hundred miles of that place.

:iit:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 9 – Adding bling to impress citizens.

Spring, Year 15

The city has been drab for long enough! It's time to get this place looking like a proper city!

Statues and trees are added across the city.

Summer, Year 15

The gates are now guarded by impressive statues.

I have also tried to light the entire path between Minas Baul and Minertown.

Winter, Year 15

Autumn passes with construction, winter begins with five people dying of exposure.

One thing I've not set is a retirement age – and I decide to give my people some leisure after a life of servitude.

Happiness spikes, as does immigration!

Spring, Year 16

Our population jumps by 50, and I am forced to add a new bathhouse.

Two in fact, as minertown needs one.

Summer, Year 16

As the population nears 350, I add in another block of flats.

Autumn, Year 16

Another mass wave of immigrants shoots us past the 350 mark.

I add another dormitory to meet demand!

Winter, Year 16

The new tavern is finished!

As is the hunters lodge!

Despite peaking at 86%, our peoples happiness has dropped once more. Food is now running, if not short, but tighter due to the population increasing by 50%!

It looks like I need more statues, but what else should I add?

A – Nobles!
B – Farms!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nobles, let them eat cake

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A for nobles, they're like spice, and spices add the flavor we need here.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
B.

If you add nobles, they're just going to complain about having no food anyway.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Shadowy paths no more!

We need more farms (B)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Nobleman, swerve! Peasant coming through!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

The gates are now guarded by impressive statues.

Honoring the sacrifice of 0 dudes that died fighting the extortion racket.

Weebus
Feb 26, 2017
A

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The giant left....

Are Nobles gatekeeping anything? Improved troops, buildings, etc?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

A

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

RBA Starblade posted:

Nobles, let them eat cake

:hmmyes: A

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
B, looks like food variety would cheer everyone up

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I suggest a compromise where we get nobles and then eat them.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Sold.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

I approve this message

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

B! Delay the nobility as long as possible, all power to the peasants!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

B

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 10 – More food needed!.

Spring, Year 16

With only 8 days of food on stock, and the people wanting better rations, I begin to expand the farms – though it's going to be troublesome, as the only good land is near minertown.

Summer, Year 16

I also add in a new kitchen up in minertown.

Though not expected to last, the Dondarians have a spike in happiness that leads to ten more immigrating!

Autumn, Year 16

I order we can now export metal! How things have changed!

A pasture joins the kitchen – though I need to import more livestock.

Winter, Year 16

A second bakery is added, as we have 500 wheat not yet converted into bread!

Spring, Year 17

Minertown gets some better roads.

Summer, Year 17

There is an explosion of immigrants, taking us past 400 souls – near a hundred people work in minertown processing food.

So of course, I need a new dormitory to support them.

Though the outstanding amount of work is the reason this update is briefer than the others. The people are busy, and there seems to be little time for constructing buildings!

Autumn, Year 17

I begin to wonder if part of the problem is my overstretched warehouses, so despite other, incomplete projects, I order a new one.

Summer, Year erm...19

So, it seems I have lost a couple of years somewhere – and we have nearly been here for two decades. I'm not sure if I slipped into a coma or if this has been a gradual loss of time. But I have corrected the calender!

The new warehouse is completed, and staffed.

Autumn, Year 19

Goods flow in, Peon satisfaction raises to 81%, and another wave of immigrants arrives!

With over a thousand units of grain, I order yet another bakery!

Winter, Year 19

Minertown now produces most of Minas Bauls food.

The city is sprawling, and the tunnels see people at all times of day and night.

This bathhouse is finished just in time for our second decade celebrations!

Next time, I shall continue to secure the needs of our people – which will mostly be waiting for them to finish current build tasks.
Oh, and they need more clothes.....

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I wonder, on the map, I see areas in color, so surface areas, completely enclaved in grey, so underground, so if you have total control of the tunnels around there, those areas and effectively entirely under your control and safe to install in to farm, right?

I assume the green areas make for better farming than the brown ones, I'm amused that the starting point has the crummiest farmland.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Hey Grey, is military training binary or will the soldiers get better with additional training?

Also, what do walls do? There doesn't seem to be ranged units to hide behind them a be dicks, is it just for funneling where the enemy goes?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there natural population growth, do we need to build nurseries and stuff, or is it only immigration?

How do we reach for example those green spots in the bottom of the map, can we tunnel through those mountains? I thought the lighter shade of black denotes the mountains that can be tunneled under, but if that were true, how would we ever reach those green parts of the map in the south?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

I wonder, on the map, I see areas in color, so surface areas, completely enclaved in grey, so underground, so if you have total control of the tunnels around there, those areas and effectively entirely under your control and safe to install in to farm, right?

I assume the green areas make for better farming than the brown ones, I'm amused that the starting point has the crummiest farmland.

Yeah, with checkpoints the tunnels are secure.
Greener is better for crops, and I didn't build on the good farmland at the start as once there are buildings on it, it's hard to farm.

Sammich Reaper posted:

Hey Grey, is military training binary or will the soldiers get better with additional training?

Also, what do walls do? There doesn't seem to be ranged units to hide behind them a be dicks, is it just for funneling where the enemy goes?

They will get better, though I think the game prefers quantity over quality ATM.

Currently walls just make chockpoints, as we can only have swordsmen. As the game gets more developed, the Dev plans to add more weapon types and tactics.

Torrannor posted:

Is there natural population growth, do we need to build nurseries and stuff, or is it only immigration?

How do we reach for example those green spots in the bottom of the map, can we tunnel through those mountains? I thought the lighter shade of black denotes the mountains that can be tunneled under, but if that were true, how would we ever reach those green parts of the map in the south?

Only immigrants at the moment, the light shade is tunnels, the blacks solid rock, which we can tunnel into.
There are gems we need to get at some point to keep the Dondarians happy.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Can we make our entire nobility nothing but giants?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Greener is better for crops, and I didn't build on the good farmland at the start as once there are buildings on it, it's hard to farm.

Oh, I assumed that too, it's just funny to think of a bunch of settlers coming and going "let's pitch the first tents in the rocky, arid, hills, as not to spoil the arable land by the river" compared to how cities are normally placed in the real world.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

Oh, I assumed that too, it's just funny to think of a bunch of settlers coming and going "let's pitch the first tents in the rocky, arid, hills, as not to spoil the arable land by the river" compared to how cities are normally placed in the real world.

Yeah, in hindsight I should probably have settled more around the open area to the south, but I liked the look of the easily defended area. the lake had enough food to get us started, and we were closer to the natural materials.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, in hindsight I should probably have settled more around the open area to the south, but I liked the look of the easily defended area. the lake had enough food to get us started, and we were closer to the natural materials.

Yeah, hill forts were a thing for a reason. Farmers can eat poo poo, their homes are tactically expendible. (in the real world, not the game)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, hill forts were a thing for a reason. Farmers can eat poo poo, their homes are tactically expendible. (in the real world, not the game)

Yeah, you can rebuild a home, but once someone is dead, their dead.

Shame there is no elevation in this game. you make sacrifices for the number of people though!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It looks like there are a few places near the green zone in the NE where small mountains and walls could make for a defensible farmers outpost once we expand that way? Or at least a keep for the farmers to run into while our notary marches over?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

How good are walls in this? Is it like in dwarf fortress where a wall is indestructible, impenetrable and requires zero maintenance?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 10 – Battle of the Tunnels

Spring Year 20

I have been ruling now for twenty years, and a new wave of immigrants takes our population above 500 for the first time!

Summer, Year 20

Krull Returns! We of course ignore his demand.

52 men vs our 150? This is not a threat!

He surprises us however, they enter through the tunnels, and several of my peasents are hacked down before I can react! (The game refused to pause for a few seconds at max speed.)

Mustering the forces is taking time, but this one brave man of 3rd Division holds a strategic choke point, killing 2 men as they rush him. Marssell Gontraf holds the line to buy others time to form up.

Krulls' men quickly pile up, and the tunnel becomes a charnel house.

One of my divisions forms up to their rear.

And a better armoured one goes to the front. The Bandits are now trapped in the tunnels.

The battle is won. Krull once more escapse.

We have 67 corpses to deal with – even if most of those are Krull's troops, that leaves us with over a score dead. More fall during the rout, and 85 corpses await burial. Our population has dropped from near 550 to 500, so fifty dead in this raid.

Spring Year 21

The bodies are buried, and new people join – I'm expanding the fields once more, but there is still a lot of unfinished buildings in the city!

I massively increase the number of warehouse workers, and this seems to help speed things up.

Spring Year 22

Little happens for a year, but finally progress is made on the bakery!

I am able to increase rations by a good amount, and we still have 7 days of food stored!

In fact, this year passes the same.

I'm kind of stuck atm, until I can get these buildings finished, but there is so little spare labour, even with 550 people!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

52 men vs our 150? This is not a threat!

:black101:

Grey Hunter posted:

Our population has dropped from near 550 to 500, so fifty dead in this raid.

:gonk:

Turns out, training and equipment pay off!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

They came in on a side that let them get in among the peseants before I could mobilize.

I'll certainly need more troops for the next wave!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It does answer my question about whether Krull is capturable. Seems not.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Have we used the army to extract taxes from our neighbors?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sammich Reaper posted:

Have we used the army to extract taxes from our neighbors?

At the moment, population is used, not military power - we need 2k people to start controlling areas.
I just need to break this bottleneck!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 11

Summer, Year 23

The crops come in, and our population stands at 590 people. The land is still littered with unfinished projects.

I lower the retirement age, and our population shoots up to 650. 62 of them are retired now.

Autumn, Year 23

This is what we need however, as the first apartment block is finished!

Winter, Year 23

Our main shortage now is clothing. The flats are the only building to be finished, but at least food stocks are increasing.
I have also reactivated the training room.

A large tailors is ordered – it may be constructed before I die.

Winter, Year 24

I spend a year trimming the fat from my work fields – a lot of the farms were overstaffed, and by making the farmers work harder, I free up people – trade resumes for one.

As does work on the buildings.

Summer, Year 26

Finally! The dormitory is complete!

Winter, Year 26

The new tailors is also finished!

Summer, Year 27

The large dormitory near Minertown is finally completed.

Winter, Year 27

I upgrade the tunnels through the mountains.

The bulk of our population is happy.

We have another Giant, but they are not happy.

The dwarves need some work – some rare ores would work towards this.

So, What should I do next?

A – Mine for rare ores.
B – Appoint Nobles.
C – Improve food, sleeping and hygiene ratings
D – Improve our defences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

D.

Bandits be gone!