Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Could it be something ridiculous like the ratio distance between the kitchen and the dormitories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it the usual issue in these games where people will pick an eating place at random and they all spend ages walking back and forth across the map to eat?

I like that the nobles get apartments. A shame you can't just shove them into a fancier noble dorm. Or can you?

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Do you have enough warehouses?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Boksi posted:

Do you have enough warehouses?

Maybe not.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
Now that you have nobles can they just eat the rich?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
What are the nobles doing in this game, anyway? Their description hints towards some prodcution boosts.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 15 – Kitchen Logisitics

Spring, Year 40.

Forty years we have been here. And I'm still trying to get my people to admit I'm feeding them properly – a new warehouse and a new kitchen design are tried.

Summer, Year 40

These are quickly finished.

A new block of flats is ordered.

Spring, Year 41.

I expand the fancy roads.

Autumn, Year 41

The flats open for business.

I'm forced to build into the mountain to add another kitchen.

I expand food production.

Summer, Year 42

I start a new warehouse for food.

Krull is on his way!

Winter, Year 42

Well, That's a lot of troops.

I muster to the north of Minertown.

For once I'm in the right place.

We engage over the graveyard – at least the grave diggers will have a short distance to haul the corpses.

The battle rages, but is still in our favour.

Krull flees once more!

Spring, Year 43.

The Kitchen begin construction.

Spring, Year 44.

The work is complete!

It seems to be working! Soon 64 peasants are slaving away and the population begins to rise again.

Summer, Year 44

Feasting halls seats are in short supply, so I dig into the mountain to build a new one one the main road.

Spring, Year 45.

Work begins, I have also decided to add a kitchen here as well.

Minertown also gets a new, larger Kitchen – though I also need a tavern, but am struggling to decide where to put it!

Summer, Year 45.

My god, the idiots have walled up access to the tunnels!

Now everyone is going the long way around. It's a fix, but not a quick on, as digging into the mountain takes time.

Winter, Year 45

Our population has risen to 1,300 – and even with the road blocked, people are happy.
I think I need a new training room – after the Feasting hall kitchen is finished, of course!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 16 -

Summer, Year 46

The construction of the great hall kitchen begins.

Autumn, Year 46

With the kitchen complete, happiness jumps and the population goes past 1,400!

Time to put some flats in along the main road!

Summer, Year 47

The kitchen makes for happy people, but the feasting drains our food reserves. FAST!

This then tanks happiness. It looks like food production is next on my list of things to do!

The thing is, the only fertile ground is up to the north east, so I guess it's time for a new town!

I lay down the basics.

Summer, Year 48

The food situation is dire, but the new area is nearly cleared.

Winter, Year 48

The latest toilet opens and is immediately full of pooping peasants.

The flats go down.

Summer, Year 50

I expand the trade area, to get more food in. It's mostly waiting for people to haul things long distance!

Here comes Krull again!

I'm adding more fisheries, but Krull has come in force!

We have 282 men. Let's hope they are better trained than Krulls men!

Again, my men are in position, outnumbered by 100 men, but in position.

The lines ready to clash.

Two divisions engage, while two more ready to flank.

The slam into the flank.

Things get bloody.

Krull flees once more, leaving over 100 of our soldiers dead on the field.

Winter, Year 50

Another training ground is needed – I need to replace the losses I've taken, and Krull will be back in force!

Winter, Year 51

With a few tweaks to staffing levels, I get 6 days of food, and a kitchen that is actually producing a stockpile of rations!

I'm back in one of those grindlocked situations, where I don't have any spare manpower, so the city is ticking over nicely, but not expanding.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wondered if the barbarian attacks would be more than an annoyance. Now we know. We must be ready for the next one. Better equip, more people, more training or a combination.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The solution, surely, is to add more nobles

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Slaan posted:

The solution, surely, is to add more nobles

Nobles are limited by population. 1 per 1000 it seems.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
It doesn't seem like it's possible to actually kill Krull at this point, does it?

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006

Serpentis posted:

It doesn't seem like it's possible to actually kill Krull at this point, does it?

There is a little bit of Krull in all of us.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I hope so! All that meat would be wasted if Krulls boys didn't end up in the kitchen or fertilizing the fields

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Serpentis posted:

It's all about the Krulls me made along the way.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Journal of King Grey Hunter I. - Part 17 – The Dark ages

Summer, Year 52

The training grounds are complete!

Soon our army is growing.

Autumn, Year 54

No one is building, but the army is much larger now. I shut down the training facilities in the hope of boosting production.

Spring, Year 55

Why did no one tell me we had a rapidly ageing population? Over a third of our work force has retired!

Food production stops almost overnight!

I strip workers from the kitchens, but it will take time. People flee the city, happiness drops to 22% and the population to 1,100.
The summer fruit harvest brings in 1,200k of fruit, but it won't last!

Winter, Year 55

The population plummets, food is not coming in quick enough. This is a full city collapse!

People hang around the trade areas, snatching up any food that arrives.

Things look grim, I decide the best thing I can do is to take the large city treasury and flee for the hills!

Sorry folks, not sure if that was a bug or not, but things fell apart quickly!
Hopefully you've enjoyed this, and I'll probably take another look once the game has a few more patches.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The best ending.

Sammich Reaper
Apr 25, 2006
When you die because of aging they just call it "natural causes", thanks for the ride Grey!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

This is why proper retirement planning is a must for everyone, even a just hired 18 year old straight out of school smh

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, a real death spiral in a city builder game, it's been ages since I've seen one of those.

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Days were numbered anyway if Krull kept turning up with exponentially more soldiers.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Grey Hunter posted:

I strip workers from the kitchens, but it will take time. People flee the city, happiness drops to 22% and the population to 1,100.
The summer fruit harvest brings in 1,200k of fruit, but it won't last!

<...>

The population plummets, food is not coming in quick enough. This is a full city collapse!

haha, loving called it:

JcDent posted:

Also, "starving people don't work" seems like it can turn into a death spiral if you need people to work the kitchens, but they won't...

Glory, glory, aaaall-hail-meee...

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Oh goodness, that's a sudden ending. Fleeing with the treasury is the way to go.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Is that a real Tropican game mechanic, or just narration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Narration I'm afraid.