Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

MOTYC: GHC National Title: Kenoh (c) Vs Kaito Kiyomiya - NOAH The New Year 1/1

Lamuella posted:

There's looking strong in defeat and there's "you will have to render me unconscious to stop me fighting you". Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

J-Ro posted:

gently caress yes. nth

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

J-Ro posted:

Going to go back through after the show, but holy poo poo Nth. Just amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

J-Ro posted:

Gonna give this an HM, most because:

MOTYC: Katsuhiko Nakajima (C) vs. Go Shiozaki for the GHC Heavyweight Title - NOAH The New Year 1/1

God drat these two tried to kill each other, and the ending was :kiss:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

NOAH The New Year January 1st
MOTYC
KENTA and Sugiura-gun (Takashi Sugiura and Kazushi Sakuraba) vs Daiki Inaba and The Tough (Masa Kitamiya and Yoshiki Inamura)
- Kenta is home, nobody is safe. This was a bunch of beefy boys doing beefy poo poo which I love, but then you add Kenta to the mix doing weird Kenta poo poo it raised the enjoyment exponentially, the match absolutely ruled. I actually burst out laughing partway through the match when Kenta casually dodged out the way of Inamura's attack and was lovely about it, so less than a minute later Inamura completely blinsided him with a Pounce that sent him straight flying into the ropes.

Kenoh (c) vs Kaito Kiyomiya - GHC National Championship
- Kiyomiya's career rival once again stiffs the poo poo out of him but the Supernova isn't going down without a fight, he's got that youthful energy to shrug off loving bombs. This was painful to watch, Kenoh's style is so visceral. When he kicks Kaito full speed in the side of the head, we at home feel it.

Katsuhiko Nakajima (c) vs Go Shiozaki - GHC Heavyweight Championship
- They did the loving Misawa/Kobashi suplex bump off the ramp, and that was only a small part of how hosed this match was. Insanity, make time to watch the top half of this show as it was tops

HM
M's Alliance (Keiji Mutoh and Naomichi Marufuji) (c) vs M's Alliance (Masaaki Mochizuki and Masato Tanaka) - GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
- Mutoh was able to catch his breath while the three other guys did some great stuff, so he could come in and do the cool things when it mattered. Good stuff

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC
KENTA and Sugiura-gun (Takashi Sugiura and Kazushi Sakuraba) vs Daiki Inaba and The Tough (Masa Kitamiya and Yoshiki Inamura)
- Kenta is home, nobody is safe. This was a bunch of beefy boys doing beefy poo poo which I love, but then you add Kenta to the mix doing weird Kenta poo poo it raised the enjoyment exponentially, the match absolutely ruled. I actually burst out laughing partway through the match when Kenta casually dodged out the way of Inamura's attack and was lovely about it, so less than a minute later Inamura completely blinsided him with a Pounce that sent him straight flying into the ropes.

- Kiyomiya's career rival once again stiffs the poo poo out of him but the Supernova isn't going down without a fight, he's got that youthful energy to shrug off loving bombs. This was painful to watch, Kenoh's style is so visceral. When he kicks Kaito full speed in the side of the head, we at home feel it.

- They did the loving Misawa/Kobashi suplex bump off the ramp, and that was only a small part of how hosed this match was. Insanity, make time to watch the top half of this show as it was tops

HM
M's Alliance (Keiji Mutoh and Naomichi Marufuji) (c) vs M's Alliance (Masaaki Mochizuki and Masato Tanaka) - GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
- Mutoh was able to catch his breath while the three other guys did some great stuff, so he could come in and do the cool things when it mattered. Good stuff

Nth all these.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Katsuhiko Nakajima (C) vs. Go Shiozaki for the GHC Heavyweight Title - NOAH The New Year 1/1

nth

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Gonna give this an HM, most because:

Yes

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM

Nth to these.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rarity posted:

HM: Darby Allin vs. Anthony Bowens, AEW Rampage, 31/12
MOTYC: TayJay vs. The Bunny/Penelope Ford, AEW Rampage, 31/12
HM: Cody Rhodes vs. Ethan Page, AEW Rampage, 31/12

Fantastic way to close out the wrestling year

NTH

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

MOTYC: Bunny & Penelope Ford vs. Anna Jay & Tay Conti, AEW Rampage 12/31

HOLY loving poo poo THIS MATCH RULED

real good nth

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

should that be a 2022 thread thing I dunno

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Las Fresas de Egoistas (Asuka & Makoto) vs. Nanae Takahashi & Hiroyo Matsumoto (c) for the Beyond the SEA Tag Team Championship - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle (12/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyWL082tEyQ

SEAdLINNNG tag title matches are the matches I look forward to most in the world and this one did not disappoint me. It did drag a little toward the end and it wasn't as good as the match where Nanae & Hiroyo won the tag titles but it was a suitable end to Nanae's run in SEAdLINNNG, and continue to cement Makoto as a real fantastic wrestler as she once again was the star of the match. Also Asuka has new gear now.

MOTYC: Arisa Nakajima vs. Ryo Mizunami (c) for the Beyond the SEA Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle (12/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMibXkdz33k

SEAd have started billing Nakajima as the "Violence Queen" and she absolutely earned that title in this match. One of the most violent matches of the year, and the crowd broke the rules on several occasions to gasp at what they were doing to each other. Easily makes my top 10 MOTY list.

Nth to these, they ruled.

Pretty sure I've made this post before, but thank you GEORGE W BUSHI for exposing this thread to some bomb-rear end wrestling

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WMOTYC: TayJay vs. The Bunny/Penelope Ford, AEW Rampage, 31/12 - Anna Jay wore trunks to a street fight and should have been DQed immediately

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

MOTYC: Tayjay vs Bunny/Ford, AEW Rampage 12/31

holy poo poo

Yes nth.

Rarity posted:

[b]HM: Darby Allin vs. Anthony Bowens, AEW Rampage, 31/12/[b]

Also nth, that was sweet.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Rarity posted:

Agreed on all 3 of these

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

flatluigi posted:

MOTYC: Tayjay vs Bunny/Ford, AEW Rampage 12/31

holy poo poo

Now that's what I'm talking about

Rarity posted:

Nth

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Taiji Ishimori, Best of the Super Junior, 11/27
HM: Minoru Suzuki & TAKA Michinoku vs. Dangerous Tekkers, World Tag League, 11/14

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
AEW Rampage 31/12

MOTYC: Tay Jay vs The Bunny & Penelope Ford :stare:
HM: Cody Rhodes vs Ethan Page

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM

oh yeah, nth to those, too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

MOTYC: Las Fresas de Egoistas (Asuka & Makoto) vs. Nanae Takahashi & Hiroyo Matsumoto (c) for the Beyond the SEA Tag Team Championship - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle (12/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyWL082tEyQ

SEAdLINNNG tag title matches are the matches I look forward to most in the world and this one did not disappoint me. It did drag a little toward the end and it wasn't as good as the match where Nanae & Hiroyo won the tag titles but it was a suitable end to Nanae's run in SEAdLINNNG, and continue to cement Makoto as a real fantastic wrestler as she once again was the star of the match. Also Asuka has new gear now.

MOTYC: Arisa Nakajima vs. Ryo Mizunami (c) for the Beyond the SEA Singles Championship - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle (12/29)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMibXkdz33k

SEAd have started billing Nakajima as the "Violence Queen" and she absolutely earned that title in this match. One of the most violent matches of the year, and the crowd broke the rules on several occasions to gasp at what they were doing to each other. Easily makes my top 10 MOTY list.

2nd both of these plus

MOTYC: Hanako Nakamori, Saki Akai & Tsukasa Fujimoto vs Itsuki Aoki, Rina Yamashita & Yoshiko - SEAdLINNNG 2021 Final Battle 29/12

Thought this was an excellent sprint.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Taichi vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW Summer Struggle in Osaka, 7/22
MOTYC: Fred Rosser vs. Tom Lawlor, NJPW STRONG, 12/17

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SG Bamboo posted:

First nominations of the new year

ZERO1 Happy New Year January 1st
MOTYC
Fuminori Abe(c) vs Shoki Kitamura - ZERO1 Junior Double Crown Title
- Two insane young men beat the gently caress out of each other

Takashi Sugiura (c) vs Masato Tanaka - ZERO1 World Heavyweight Title
- Two insane old men beat the gently caress out of each other. It was crazy enough the previous match, but these guys are either side of 50, saying nothing of the crazy poo poo Tanaka has done during his career

HM
ASUKA & Takuya Sugawara vs Genta Hiriki & Tsugutaka Sato
- Asuka was the only one I knew going into this, but all four impressed. Deliciously stiff

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM

nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

First nominations of the new year

ZERO1 Happy New Year January 1st
MOTYC
Fuminori Abe(c) vs Shoki Kitamura - ZERO1 Junior Double Crown Title
- Two insane young men beat the gently caress out of each other

Takashi Sugiura (c) vs Masato Tanaka - ZERO1 World Heavyweight Title
- Two insane old men beat the gently caress out of each other. It was crazy enough the previous match, but these guys are either side of 50, saying nothing of the crazy poo poo Tanaka has done during his career

2nd these. Finally got round to finishing this show. Come down with a cold so doing more sleeping than I'd normally do.

I love the physical charisma of Abe & god, if only he was 4 to 6 inches taller that guy would be a loving huge deal. An amazing talent.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

quote:

(ALMOST) Worst Matches of the Year:

02/21 | Roman Reigns (C) vs. Daniel Bryan for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Elimination Chamber (4 votes)
03/21 | Drew McIntyre vs. Sheamus in a No Holds Barred match - WWE Fastlane (4 votes)
08/21 | Drew McIntyre vs. Jinder Mahal - WWE Summerslam (4 votes)

Nth all three of these.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Darius Lockhart vs. Lee Moriarty, Enjoy Wrestling Night Moves, 10/8 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy54HXXVfDU
HM: Davey Richards vs. Daniel Garcia, Empire State 4th and Gold, 10/10
HM: Daniel Garcia vs. Minoru Suzuki, West Coast Pro No Leaf Clover, 10/8

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ShadowedFlames posted:

Nth all three of these.

And just like that, WWE adds 3 WMOTYCs to cement it's #1 place as the Worst Promotion of the Year! Unless AEW suddenly gets 26+ successful WMOTYC nominations come in over the next 24 hours.... :tinfoil:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

AJPW New Year Wars Night 1 January 2nd
MOTYC
STRONGHEARTS (T-Hawk and El Lindaman) (c) vs Total Eclipse (Hokuto Omori and Yusuke Kodama) - All Asia Teag Team Championships
- I already liked Stronghearts and Kodama, but this is the match that showed me Omori could loving go. An awesome sprint, did exactly what it needed to without dragging itself out just because it was the main event

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
1st January 2022
Pro Wrestling NOAH The New Year
Kongo (Aleja & Haoh) vs Stinger (Seiki Yoshioka & Yuya Susumu)

MOTYC
1st January 2022
GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Titles
M's Alliance (Keiji Mutoh & Naomichi Marufuji) vs M's Alliance (Masaaki Mochizuki & Masato Tanaka)

MOTYC
1st January 2022
Daiki Inaba, Masa Kitamiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs Kazushi Sakuraba, KENTA & Takashi Sugiura

MOTYC
1st January 2022
GHC National Title
Kenoh vs Kaito Kiyomiya

Honestly, this show loving rules.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

LOL THIS RULED SO MUCH

***** love Katsu, love Go, love NOAH.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

AJPW New Years War Night 2 January 3rd
MOTYC
Runaway SUPLEX (Shotaro Ashino and SUWAMA) (c) vs NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara and Yuma Aoyagi) - AJPW Tag Team Championships
- SUWAMA is very obviously past his prime now, but the other three guys are great enough that they're are able to cover for him when he needs to slow down. NEXTREAM are in the running for the best stable in the world, they only have four members but all four rule. This match ruled, only mistep I saw was around 20 minutes in where Ashino slipped when going for a corner suplex, but that's small beans when taken with the rest of the match (and also having Kyohei as the ref. gently caress you, you slow counting old man).

HM
Total Eclipse (Hokuto Omori, Yusuke Kodama and Ryuki Honda) vs NEXTREAM (Atsuki Aoyagi and Rising HAYATO) and Yu Iizuka
- This is my first time seeing Iizuka outside of LIDET UWF, and he was really impressive in the smalls sections he got at more traditional pro wrestling. Still not sold on Ryuki Honda as a member of TE, but if it means the company sees more in him than i'm a happy camper, he's good.

Shigehiro Irie (c) vs Koji Doi
- Beefy boys doing beefy things, Irie continues to be the King of the Japanese Indies

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
30th December
GLEAT Ver.2
Elimination Tag
BULK Orchestra (Hayato Tamura, KAZMA SAKAMOTO, Nobuhiro Shimatani, Quiet Storm & Ryuichi Kawakami) vs #STRONGHEARTS (CIMA, El Lindaman, Issei Onitsuka, Shigehiro Irie & T-Hawk)

Nth. This whipped and always gonna pop for Yamamura doing things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm going to close this thread at 6pm Eastern (so just over 12 hours from now) and then make the 2022 thread. If you want any votes to be recorded/counted for 2021 wrestling, that's the cutoff! As last year, any 2022 nominations made here will be counted for the new thread.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT 25th Anniversary Opening Special! January 3rd
MOTYC
Hideki Okatani vs Kazusada Higuchi
- The short life and extended death of a brave young man who took on a monster while the monsters friends watched from ringside

HM
Saki Akai and Shunma Katsumata vs Maya Yukihi and Masahiro Takanashi
- Probably overrating this because the preceeding match with the dirt worst, but this has two cool kickladies doing cool things while their respective parters dicked about. Very fun

Chris Brookes vs Pokotan
- Goddamn this was hilarious. Pokotan going for the tope but his head was too big to fit through the ropes had me absolutely dying. And Also Chris loving murdered Pokotan with a double stomp to the head

HARASHIMA and MAO vs Tetsuya Endo and Naomi Yoshimura
- All four of these guys are great, and they did the DDT tag match I love so much with the added wrinkle of the current tag champs being on opposing teams

Konosuke Takeshita vs Shinya Aoki
- Soup Boy gets into a grapplefuck battle with one of the finest grapplers Japan has ever produced

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Konosuke Takeshita vs. Shinya Aoki - DDT 25th Anniversary Opening Special 1/3

Special match between the champ and an MMA guy, make sure you watch after the ending because it's NOT the ending! This was really good!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC
- The short life and extended death of a brave young man who took on a monster while the monsters friends watched from ringside

HM
- Probably overrating this because the preceeding match with the dirt worst, but this has two cool kickladies doing cool things while their respective parters dicked about. Very fun

Chris Brookes vs Pokotan
- Goddamn this was hilarious. Pokotan going for the tope but his head was too big to fit through the ropes had me absolutely dying. And Also Chris loving murdered Pokotan with a double stomp to the head

- All four of these guys are great, and they did the DDT tag match I love so much with the added wrinkle of the current tag champs being on opposing teams

- Soup Boy gets into a grapplefuck battle with one of the finest grapplers Japan has ever produced

Yeah I'll chuck an nth on all of these. The Okatani/Higushi match probably wasn't a MOTYC but I've been missing the recruit the guy you beat to death angle for a while

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 3, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Chris Brookes vs Pokotan

2nd, that finish (and the postmatch) was crazy!

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM from me for this one.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Anthony Greene vs. Daniel Garcia, Limitless Euphoria, September 25
HM: Edge vs. Seth Rollins, Smackdown, September 10

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

HM

Chris Brookes vs Pokotan

Nth to all of this. If you can ignore Pheromones, DDT are a super high quality promotion right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
These are all from Stardom.

MOTYC: Giulia vs. Tam Nakano, 3/3

HM: Saya Kamitani vs. Utami Hayashishita, 3/3
HM: AZM, Momo Watanabe & Saya Kamitani vs. Mina Shirakawa, Tam Nakano & Unagi Sayaka, 3/26
HM: Natsupoi vs. Tam Nakano, 4/4
HM: Bea Priestley vs. Utami Hayashishita, 4/4

Not sure if I'll get to make another post in this thread. Thanks for a better year than it should have been!