Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

WMOTYC: NJPW Ranbo, Wrestle Kingdom 15 Day 1 01/04

loving awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Wrestle Kingdom Night 1

HM:

El Phantasmo Vs Hiromu Takahashi
KENTA/Satoshi Kojima
Dangerous Trekkers/G.o.D

MOTYC

Kazuchika Okada Vs Will Ospreay
Tetsuya Naito Vs Kota Ibushi

Yea

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

HM: BestBros (Baliyan Akki & Mei Suruga) vs Pencil Army (Lulupencil & Minoru Fujita), Gatoh Move ChocoPro #77 1/1

MOTYC: Emi Sakura vs Antonio Honda vs Rin Rin vs Obihiro Sayaka vs Chon Shiryu in a New Year's Deathmatch, Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #77, 1/1

HM: Emi Sakura vs Minoru Fujita, Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #78, 1/3

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Huntman posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 05.01

The NEVER Openweight Championship really is the best belt in NJPW

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Kota Ibushi vs Jay White NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 05.01

God fought the Devil and it owned.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

WMOTYC: Chase Owens vs Bad Luck Fale vs Toru Yano vs BUSHI - WK15 1.5

Dont put this poo poo on WK

I wasn't going to second this because I thought the action was fine and not worth the nomination. But then I thought about it again and now I have to agree with the nomination.

It's not so much about the match quality, which wasn't catastrophic even if it wasn't good either. It's about the idea of doing this match with these exact wrestlers in it at that exact event.

I like the concept of KOPW and think it's pretty fun and/or funny, or at least can be when the right people are involved. I don't think NJPW needs to intentionally try to inject variety into its shows because the wrestlers themselves can usually take care of that themselves by, you know, just having different matches with varying stories, pacing, psychology, atmosphere etc. But sure, KOPW matches can let the wrestlers try something new and bring out a different side to themselves. The match at Jingu for example was actually really fun and cool and different from what NJPW usually does.

However, this match was just all wrong, including (and especially) its setup in the Ranbo. Give some of NJPW's best talent mere minutes in the ring to have some lame rumble action and then in the end have the dirt worst talent on the entire (incredibly talented) roster win. That's already hosed up. I understand why Yano was in the match, but like I said in the GDT, they could have had nearly LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE than Fale, Chase and BUSHI in this match. NJPW Dads vs Yano could've been awesome! Young Lions + Yano could've been awesome! Yano vs his fellow CHAOS boys could've been awesome! A healthy mix of those could've been awesome! Fine, put Fale in there and it could still be awesome! The participants could only have been worse if Yujiro had replaced Yano.

Secondly, the event. If this match had happened at a random Road To show or even New Year's Dash!! it would've been much less infuriating. People don't expect greatness or the most amazing lineups from those kinds of NJPW shows. However, this was WRESTLE KINGDOM! The show that's routinely the best of the year! The one where you have to pull out all the stops because that's when you get the new viewers curious about this whole NJPW thing. That's when you get back the fans who for whatever reason couldn't keep up with the product. The eyes of the pro wrestling world are on Wrestle Kingdom, and then they book a lame rear end match with their worst talent to open the second day. They could've run just about anything else in place of this loving match and it would've been better.

Like GWB said, don't put this poo poo on WK. Why would you? I guess the four participants might've gotten a nice paycheck from this but otherwise zero people benefited from this. Everyone involved is a joke, the KOPW is a joke and one of the opening matches of WK is a joke. No one tuning in to WK for the first time ever is going to think NJPW is good if they see that match first. Do not put this poo poo on Wrestle Kingdom.

Anyway, that's way too many words about a match that didn't deserve them.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 5, 2021

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

HM: El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (C) vs. El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Titles - NJPW Road to the New Beginning 1/23

Ridiculously entertaining match with a truly bizarre (but great) tail section, well worth watching.

I’ll agree with J-ru on the HM nod

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shingo Takagi NJPW New Beginning in Nagoya 30.01

Two of the best in the world in one hell of a war. The NEVER title is the best belt in NJPW.

Yuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Benne posted:

WMOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL, NJPW New Beginning 2/11

Literally a complete waste of time

I’m confused isn’t this match supposed to happen later?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Glad to hear the himbos delivered, gonna watch the two mains later today

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

(Stolen from Cerebral Bore’s post because I’m lazy)

HM: Thunder Rosa vs Leyla Hirsch
MOTYC: Kenny Omega & KENTA vs Jon Moxley & Lance Archer

All from AEW Dynamite 10.02. And also

HM: CHAOS (Ishii, Goto & Yoshi-Hashi) vs Bullet Club (Jay White, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa)
HM: Kota Ibushi vs SANADA

From NJPW The New Beginning in Hiroshima 11.02.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: MOTYC: Rarity vs a cyborg mug, Something Awful Forums Punch Suplex (Tokyo Joshi) Pro, MOTYC Thread 2021, 2/22

Brutal squash, good lord

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 22, 2021

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also Switchblade is a goddamn slime

Imagining a light novel/anime series called That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Switchblade. It’s existential horror instead of isekai fantasy

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

gently caress I forgot about your toxx, I should have lied :negative:

Rude

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m in one of my ”too lazy to nominate anything” phases but I gotta do this

MOTYC: Darby and Sting vs Team Taz, AEW Revolution

Without a shadow of a doubt the best cinematic match anyone’s put together thus far. Absolutely tremendous work from everyone involved.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Y-H and Yujiro didn't get any WMOTYC nominations so I assume Y-H is now officially better than Okada. Namaste

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

EVIL making my life easier because I can just watch YTR vs GOK and be done with today's NJPW in like 5 mins. Thank u EVIL

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: wtf

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

One of these days I will finally get my win back and post in the correct thread :argh:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

(I've finally accepted there's no way I finish NJ Cup watching entire shows so am just watching tournament matches now)

The king's way

There's generally nothing at all to see in the multimans if you're just catching up.

forkboy84 posted:

Big Tam getting actual fire out of SANADA means that his performance is ***** even if the match isn't. What a worker of miracles. Jesus in Heaven looks down upon Ishii making it seem like SANADA was capable of an emotion and sadly shakes his head, muttering that turning water into wine ain't poo poo next to this.

(That's a 2nd)

Hope you like the Nagata match as well

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

MOTYC: Thunder Rosa vs Britt Baker, Mar 17 Dynamite, Lights Out match

It doesn’t need it but holy poo poo yeah

Britt’s development from unwatchable to must-watch is nothing short of phenomenal

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

AEW should be counted unter Emi Sakura Promotions, imo

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay, NJPW New Japan Cup, 21/03

gently caress

This match deserves one entire gently caress. Nth

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

So uh if Kenny vs Mox got WMOTYC nods for a bad post match angle...

Don’t take me as defending that stupid loving garbage angle but Mox vs Kenny’s dud explosion was intrinsically a part of the match stipulation and gimmick while Ospreay’s thing wasn’t, so it’s not too difficult to see why people aren’t giving it WMOTYC nods

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Deathlove posted:

MOTYC Mei Suruga/Baliyan Akki v Minoru Fujita/Emi Sakura, ChocoPro 100, 3/27/21

A million miles an hour in eighty square feet.

Hell yeah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

fez_machine posted:

27th March
ChocoPro #100 Part 1
HM
Chie Koishikawa & Hagane Shinno (EGG TART) vs CHANGO & PSYCHO

Good comedy match, with some fantastic sequences and spots. Got pretty stiff as well.

J-Ro posted:

Nth both, and

27th March
ChocoPro #100 Part 1
MOTYC
Yuna Mizumori Vs Kaori Yoneyama

Just a full-blown war with some nasty looking stuff. Great match.

Seconding both

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

Do you reckon it's more or less confusing than 37KAMIINA apparently being read as The Sauna Kamiina?

3 = san, 7 = nana -> san/sa + na -> sauna

What’s more confusing to me is why a DDT team has a Finnish name and also why they are called a ”sauna stove”

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Senerio posted:

MOTYC Mei Suruga vs Mizuki ChocoPro 100 Day 2

Dang.

fez_machine posted:

+ MOTYC Baliyan Akki Vs Fujita for the Super Asia Championship

These

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm glad to hear Kazma is good, he came to Finland to wrestle King Kong Karhula a couple of years back and I thought he was amazing. That was my first time seeing Japanese style up close and personal. It's too bad that match can't be found anywhere

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

HM: L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, and Shingo Takagi) vs. United Empire (Great-O-Khan, Jeff Cobb, and X), NJPW Sakura Genesis, 4/4

Good reveal of X and a great performance plus strong dude yeeting action from the Dumbpire, very solid and worth a watch if you were going to skip the undercard

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

WMOAT: The Fiend Braymien Wyatt vs Randall Orton World "Wrestling" "Entertainment" "Wrestle"mania night 2

the worst match of all time

Please don’t make me want to watch it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

MOTYC: Best Bros (C) vs Chango and Psycho for the Asia Dream Tag Titles, GatohMove/ChocoPro 108, 4/17

Holy goddamn

Nth, one of the best matches in Emi Sakura’s Gatoh Move: Chocolate Professional Wrestling history

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

fez_machine posted:

MOTYC
ChocoPro #110: PENCIL ARMY VS. ACES OF CHOCOPRO

Everything good about Chocopro in one match. A spot fest that told multiple great stories in one 45 minute match. Chris Brookes accepting the Pencil Army. Lulu getting close to her first pin ever. Akki vs. Fujita.

If you only watch one Chocopro match make it this one. If you don't like it, then ChocoPro just isn't for you and never will be.

WAR OF THE PENCILS doesn’t need a ”nomination” for ”match of the year candidate” because it just is MOTY and anyone who disagrees clearly didn’t watch it. gently caress

(Nth)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

fez_machine posted:

MOTYC: Pencil Army VS Chris Brooks, Asuka & Yuna Mizumori, CHOCOPRO #120 5/24/21

While perhaps not quite the same level of excitement as the previous Pencil Army tag match, there were a whole bunch of spots you don't usually see in ChocoPro, including a table splash, an exposed surface DDT, and Lulu Pencil making the whole distance on a jump. The post-match devastation and promo put it over an HM for me.

Lulu Pencil vs. Brookes is the best, most heated feud in wrestling at the moment. You can fight me on that.

Nth, incredible

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Thanlis posted:

MOTYC: Guerillas of Destiny (C) vs. Dangerous Tekkers for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles - NJPW Road to Dominion 6/1

Tekkers wrestling their best style of match, ZSJ doing more than face in peril, yep.

Agreed. Quite possibly the best GoD match I’ve ever seen. Everyone went hard as gently caress for over 25 mins. Love is real

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Senerio posted:

MOTYC: Mei Suruga vs Minoru Fujita Chocopro 125 June 11 2021 for the Super Asia Championship

Champ of the Month and also Match of the Night.

Nth. These mfers really went nearly a full hour at fuckin Ichigaya

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Yuya Uemura vs. Minoru Suzuki NJPW Kizuna Road 14.06

Good match in general and starmaking on Uemura's part. Dude showed some massive guts and is gonna be a huge deal one day.

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yota Tsuji NJPW Kizuna Road 14.06

These young boys are super good. For a moment I actually believed.

Both of these, YL Challenge is gonna be the hottest thing this summer

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

HM: Yuya Uemura vs. Zack Sabre Jr., NJPW Kizuna Road, 15/06

Uemura's a really good fit for Zack's style

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Taichi vs Yota Tsuji NJPW Kizuna Road 15.06

Another good match with some great storytelling throughout.

The real hot boi summer continues, seconded

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rarity posted:

WMOTYC: Wardlow vs. Jake Hager, AEW Dynamite, 18/06

If I wanted to watch MMA I'd watch MMA

Nth. Probably about as good as ”MMA in pro wrestling” can get? Like it was worked about as well as it could’ve been and had a good postmatch angle etc. But in the end it’s both questionable MMA and questionable pro wrestling, just stop trying to make it happen imo

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 19, 2021

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

flatluigi posted:

MOTYC: Orange Cassidy v Cesar Bononi, Jun 18 Dynamite

might genuinely be the most fun match i've seen in my life, holy poo poo

Also HMing this so I don’t look like a big ol whiner this fine morning, just real good silly pro wrestling to the max, you love to see it

Edit: changed to HM

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I think the reasons are very much not weird and instead are clearly presented. I do not wish to see this stuff on pro wrestling programming, but obviously some others do