Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Maki Itoh vs Miyu Yamashita

That was better than the main for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Dangerous Tekkers (C) vs. Guerillas of Destiny for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1 - 1/4

Almost on the cusp of a MOTYC, just didn't like the ending all that much. Everything before that was great though.

Agree that the ending took it from being a MOTYC. Nthed

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: KENTA vs Satoshi Kojima - WK 1.4

First truly great match of the night. Great stuff

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

HM: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Great O-Khan NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 04.01

Maybe not the best match, but certainly the most heartwarming match. Ol' man Tana can still go :unsmith:

2nd. Made O-Khan look great too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 04.01

Holy gently caress what a match. No necks left undestroyed.

Match of the night. Insane

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It was just really badly put together and all the interesting wrestlers got eliminated quickly

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi (C) vs. Jeff Cobb for the Never Openweight Championship - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 2 - 1/5

What the gently caress was this match? They did inhuman poo poo to each other, crazy poo poo beyond physics... and they just KEPT doing it back and forth to each other at an insanely high pace and it loving ruled forever.

Yeah this was good

Also

WMOTYC: Chase Owens vs Bad Luck Fale vs Toru Yano vs BUSHI - WK15 1.5

Dont put this poo poo on WK

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Ibushi vs Naito

They took 1.5 over 1.4 all by themselves.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Actually I'm feeling generous and I liked it so why not

hm: evil v SANADA

I'll nth it

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

A 2020 match for you that just aired today

HM
25th December 2020
Freedoms Blood Xmas
King of Freedoms Tag Team Titles
Mammoth Sasaki & Violento Jack vs Brahman Kei & Brahman Shu

The other day I was bemoaning Brahman Bros being a team I'd only want to see in Great Space Wars matches but I was a fool. This is too shenanigans nonsense. Jack and Sasaki really go with it. It's a clusterfuck in the most joyful way. Jack and Sasaki are an underrated team

2nd. I took my girlfriend to this show because she wanted to spend time together on Christmas and I was a little worried about her seeing FREEDOMS but she loved this match. Apparently the ending is a reference to some popular Japanese Christmas movie

Also from the same show

MOTYC: Jun Kasai & Kenji Fukimoto vs. Toshiyuki Sakuda & Takayuki Ueki

This was Ueki's FREEDOMS debut and he pulled off one of the best individual performances of the year. Absolute madman. Sakuda remains an evil loving gnome of a man.

MOTYC: Toru Sugiura (c) vs. Masashi Takeda for the King of FREEDOMS

People who tell you that Go Shiozaki was the best champion in Japan in 2020 haven't been watching FREEDOMS. Sugiura had an absolutely stellar reign where he made it through all the pillars of FREEDOMS including beating Takeda himself via blood loss in August. The story going in was that Sugiura needed to beat Takeda to establish himself as the true champion and he told that story of desperation perfectly.

https://twitter.com/b3rt4/status/1346478121000738820?s=19

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I thought the young boy opener was the best match on that show.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

MOTYC: Mei Suruga vs Shinno Hagane - Gatoh Move/ChocoPro LIVE #80, 1/11 (local)

wnd

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
11th January
SEAdLINNNG 2021 Opening Match
Best Friends (Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto) vs Oni Ni Kanabo (Sareee & Yoshiko)

It's a non-title match between 2 of the best tag teams in women's wrestling & probably in all wrestling. And one of the last Sareee matches before she takes a distressingly early & hopefully temporary retirement in Orlando. Some nice big, meaty strikes, match flies by, can't really ask for more.

2nd

also not an HM or anything but I recommend checking out the Las Fresas de Egoistas vs. Honori Hana/Aja Kong/Rina Yamashita match from this show. The Asuka/Aja exchanges owned and made me want a singles match between them as Aja's one big good singles match of the year

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
11th January
SEAdLINNNG 2021 Opening Match
Best Friends (Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto) vs Oni Ni Kanabo (Sareee & Yoshiko)

It's a non-title match between 2 of the best tag teams in women's wrestling & probably in all wrestling. And one of the last Sareee matches before she takes a distressingly early & hopefully temporary retirement in Orlando. Some nice big, meaty strikes, match flies by, can't really ask for more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36UWre14QHM

here's the video. I think their title match from November was better but this is still great

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Masashi Takeda & Jun Kasai vs. Rina Yamashita & Minoru Fujita - FREEDOMS Reach for the Star (1/21)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW28k3d3FSY

These four had my favourite match of the year last year and they might have gone and topped it in Shinkiba 1st Ring. Absolutely crazy match, I cannot believe that Rina is wrestling again today after what she did to her back in this match. One very scary botch and one very funny one, but both were played off very well and added to the story of the match. Terrifying and incredible in equal measures. It's a shame that this will be the least time we see Takeda and Kasai as a tag team for a long time

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Reginald the Sommelier?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

HM: Shigehiro Irie vs. Tsubasa - Colega Pro Wrestling Saturday Night Rising Stars Grand Opening (1/23)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Mp1wfB_D8&t=3062s

Could really nominate any match from this show but this was probably the best. Colega has come out of nowhere to run daily shows and it's honestly one of the highlights of my day right now. The community is great and the booking is really well done. It's showcasing a bunch of Land's End and Osaka wrestlers I'd never seen before and they're all shining. I'd strongly recommend at least watching the Saturday shows to anyone because they're supposed to be the major ones.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Is Sunday the only day of the week they aren't running?

Yes

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Saori Anou vs. Hibiscus Mii - Colega Pro Wrestling Stars Night (1/28)
HM: #STRONGHEARTS (CIMA & T-Hawk) vs. Keiichi Sato & Alejandro - Colega Pro Wrestling Stars Night (1/28)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9cpNbd3gjY&t=2495s
(the matches are one after the other but you'll need to skip ahead ~5 minutes unless you want to watch ring cleaning)

I'm going to keep evangelizing for this promotion because it's the most fun I've had watching pro wrestling in ages and it's keeping me tuning in despite running six days a week. Saori Anou is one of the best wrestlers in the whole world. Her fluidity and flexibility are almost super human and her selling is among the best out there. Hibiscus Mii is so great as a powerhouse bully that I think she's the biggest wrestler in Colega's women's division despite being even shorter than Ancham. This match is playing off tension between the two that has been simmering since the first Colega show and Anou's last before returning to Tokyo and rules throughout, but the absolute frenetic pace they take at the end as they play off their desperation to get the victory after the three minutes remaining call is incredible and pushes it into being one of my favourite matches of the year. Anou hits a bridging straitjacket suplex into a submission hold that I will vote 2021 move of the year if she keeps doing it. I hope Anou heads back to Osaka for more Colega sooner than later (even if it means I won't get to see her in person quite so often).

The main event is another fun #STRONGHEARTS match where CIMA gets to show off that he is one of the most charismatic people in all of wrestling.

Also worth noting that Colega own their own venue and allow fans to chant and boo (and they boo quite frequently) so if you're missing live puro with crowd noise then Colega is the show to watch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

HM: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. The Great Okhan, NJPW The New Beginning in Nagoya, 30/01

Tenzan gave all he could in what may well be his last singles match

MOTYC

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
23rd January
Ice Ribbon #1095 Winter Story
ICEŚ∞ Title
Suzu Suzuki (c) vs Tsukasa Fujimoto

God this ruled. Somehow Fujimoto is twice as old as Suzuki who must be the best teenage wrestler in the world.

(For the record, the only matches I have rated higher than this from this year are Ibushi White, Takagi Tanahashi & Takagi Cobb, so really heavily recommending it.)

2nd, Tsukka went insane in this match, some absolute ludicrous counters from her. Now I feel even worse about not being there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Velociraptors eventually evolved into turkeys, evolution isn't necessarily good

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
23rd January
Ice Ribbon #1095 Winter Story
ICEŚ∞ Title
Suzu Suzuki (c) vs Tsukasa Fujimoto

God this ruled. Somehow Fujimoto is twice as old as Suzuki who must be the best teenage wrestler in the world.

(For the record, the only matches I have rated higher than this from this year are Ibushi White, Takagi Tanahashi & Takagi Cobb, so really heavily recommending it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4Nmtm1GnA

here's the match btw, heavily recommended. Tsukka goes nuts

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

MOTYC: Nanae Takahashi & Arisa Nakajima vs Momo Watanabe & Saya Iida, SEAdLINNNG Shibkiba Night, 10th February

I feel like 'four people beating the poo poo out of each other' is overplayed as a description for a match but that sums this match up. It was a preview match for Nanae vs Momo at the Budokan and if that gets close to this then its very good. Seeing Arisa Nakajima face the other two was great since that's a combination that's entirely new and probably not one we'll see again; and Iida was great in the match as well. Well worth going out of your way to see: just a very good, heated interpromotional match.

2nd

For a match that was building up Momo vs Nanae I enjoyed the Arisa vs Iida parts the best

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shinkiba shows were either lost to history or uploaded as a music video prior to them getting a streaming service so it's not like you're losing out on matches that you'd have seen otherwise. I'll post the match once the PPV expires and is unavailable legally.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

MOTYC: Nanae Takahashi & Arisa Nakajima vs Momo Watanabe & Saya Iida, SEAdLINNNG Shibkiba Night, 10th February

I feel like 'four people beating the poo poo out of each other' is overplayed as a description for a match but that sums this match up. It was a preview match for Nanae vs Momo at the Budokan and if that gets close to this then its very good. Seeing Arisa Nakajima face the other two was great since that's a combination that's entirely new and probably not one we'll see again; and Iida was great in the match as well. Well worth going out of your way to see: just a very good, heated interpromotional match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuB421hsME

Okay, here you go

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

One cool thing about the SEAd vs Stardom match I forgot to mention is how partisan the crowd was. There were people flat out refusing to clap for anything the Stardom girls did and then coming alive for all the SEAdLINNNG offence (there was a contingent of Stardom fans in the corner that Nanae called out at the end). Wish all the interpromotional warfare happening right now was coming at a time where those diehards could be vocal

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Just watched the show and I will give Yuki Kamifuku vs Mirai Maiumi the one more MOTYC nod it deserves. Kamiyu has got to be the most improved wrestler with this International Princess run.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Go Shiozaki (c) vs Keiji Mutoh for the GHC Heavywejght Championship - NOAH Back to the Budokan 2021

Simply the best finishing stretch I've seen. gently caress yes

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I thought the Nakajima/Iida matches where the best part if the spectrum of what was good in that match persuades you to watch it. Please watch it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4Nmtm1GnA

here's the match btw, heavily recommended. Tsukka goes nuts

I was going to push this match some more and say we only needed x more people to nominate it but it looks like there's enough votes to get it on the list Jerusalem (forkboy, me, Senerio, fez_machine, sadi faildotter, TTBF, SG Bamboo).

Anyone who hasn't seen it should still watch it anyway!

This one still needs two more votes though so please watch

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Yuki Ueno (c) vs. Yukio Sakaguchi for the DDT Universal Championship - DDT Kawasaki Strong (2/14)

Excellent grappling match. Ueno is getting so good. Glad to see the build up with the Shinya Aoki MMA training paid off in the story of the match

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKs8Rsnzn5c

MOTYC: UNCHAIN (Jun Kasai & Kenji Fukimoto) vs. E.R.E. (Masashi Takeda & Takayuki Ueki) - FREEDOMS Go Beyond the Limit (2/9)

As far as a career move completely revitalising a person as much as Takayuki Ueki moving from BJW to FREEDOMS. He has looked like an absolute demon straight from hell in all his matches since making the jump and this might be a career performance. The finish was hard to watch even in terms of deathmatches and I hope it was gimmicked.

Either way his title challenge next month is my most anticipated match for a long time.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I've absolutely loved what I've seen from Ueki so far. Looking forward to watching this show. Big Japan seem to really loving blow when it comes to actually pushing new guys, more to the benefit of Freedoms I guess.

BJW's booking has suddenly gotten interesting this year (putting over Nakanoue and Tsukamoto on 1/2) and I would not be surprised if it's a direct result of Sakuda and Ueki walking out. Ueki in FREEDOMS is so good that I'm glad how stagnant they were before.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC - Aja Kong vs. Ryo Mizunami - AEW Women's World Championship Eliminator tournament (2/22)

I think my first time nominating an AEW match but this owned

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

MOTYC
20/2
Ice Ribbon #1100 RE:BORN 2021
ICEŚ∞ Title
Tsukasa Fujimoto vs Rina Yamashita

I think this is my match of the year to this point? Certainly right up there with Cobb Takagi & Ibushi White. The only times I wasn't on the edge of my seat I was just about to pushed back to the edge of my seat. Just absolutely loving stellar wrestling.

Whole show is great but the caveat is it's an iPPV & it's still available to buy for the next week here, & yeah, at 3,350 Yen it's not cheap but the whole show really is very good from start to the stellar finish.

Recently found out Tsukasa got her start at the same time as Hikaru Shida, they were both in an idol group (which also featured Miyako Matsumoto you may have seen have an insane match 13 months ago with Chris Brookes in Gake No Fuchi Puroresu) whose members were in a wrestling themed film, Three Count, & as part of it they all trained with Emi Sakura & Matsumoto, Fujimoto & Shida were the 3 to stick it out & they've all made a career out of it. Fujimoto is tremendous.

Yes, second this. Tsukka is incredible, and possibly the best in the world right now. I'm starting to think Emi Sakura might be pretty good at training wrestlers.

I'll upload the match and post it once the PPV expires (or maybe before because realistically not many people are gonna drop $30 on an Ice Ribbon PPV based on a recommendation on the Internet)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

DDT Friendship, Hard Work, Victory in Nagoya February 23rd
MOTYC
Eruption(c) (Kazusada Higuchi and Yukio Sakaguchi) vs Sauna Club (Konosuke Takeshita and MAO)
- God drat Eruption are so loving cool. Even before the bell the match started off right, with Saki coming out to support her partners and the whole Sauna Club coming out together (even though Yuki and Shunma had a kickass match of their own less than an hour earlier). This match completely delivered, and I had some real high expectations considering I nominated the setup match to this a MOTYC. Higuchi is a beast and Yukio is a killer, while MAO and Takeshita are two supremely talented young men who matched them every step of the way. Hard hitting and exhausting (including a crazy looking Stungun/V-Trigger to MAO), this has made me real keen for the upcoming Akiyama/Higuchi rematch. loving awesome, this is right up there with the Eruption/Nautilus match that was my MOTY last year.

HM
NEO Itoh Respect Army (Maki Itoh and Chris Brookes) vs Antonia Honda and Saki Akai
- Three great wrestlers (and Antonio Honda who hits all his regular beats) having a fun little match. Maki joined in on Gon's story time, Chris is tsundere for Saki, Honda got stretchered out and left Saki in a handicap situation. This match had it all.
Sauna Club (Yuki Ueno and Shunma Katsumata vs Damnation (Daisuke Sasaki and Tetsuya Endo)
- I'm beginning to have the sneaking suspicion that these four guys are real good. I sometimes forget just how smooth as gently caress Endo is, definitely the best Tetsuya in wrestling

2nd everything except the last sentence.

Eruption are the coolest faction in the world bar none

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

2nd this, great action

Could do without loving breezeblocks though, good lord that has so much potential to go badly wrong.

Same show, HM for Toru Sugiura vs Toshiyuki Sakuda

There's a whole issue going on with light tubes right now as Japan moves away from using them meaning that they can't get them used and buying new means they're more likely to cause injury, so expect to see some wacky weapons used until they can figure out a solution that can be the staple that tubes have been.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

MOTYC: Shunma Katsumata (c) vs. MAO in a Kids' Room Deathmatch for the DDT Extreme Championship - DDT Into the Fight (2/28)

This was fantastic. I love these two idiots. All the spots where they had to argue with the referee over whether something counted as something that could be found in a kids' room owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: BUSHI vs. El Desperado vs. El Phantasmo, NJPW Castle Attack, 28/02

Hell of a match, hell of a finish

2nd