Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

AKA Modded Minecraft - Overwolf, Under Duress
AKA Modded Minecraft - Why did this fabric break my forge!?

Previous Thread

(TLDR: Get Prism Launcher. Play All The Mods 9 if you don't have any idea what to play, or GregTech New Horizon/Nomifactory if you want Factorio in Minecraft.)

Welcome to the Minecraft Modding thread! Your source for figuring out what the hell, and how the hell, everything you might need to know about the most unique game modding experience there is, and chatting about your adventures playing cyber-legos with fellow goons. I hope I don't need to explain what Minecraft is to anyone reading this, but if you've somehow never played or even seen anything about the game before (Steve is in Smash!) the basic game itself is simple: you mine stuff, you build stuff, sometimes you kill stuff. Boring! Why not use that as a canvas to do totally awesome things instead? Such as:

Go to space!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHe8vDiMYo

Build huge multiblock industrial machines and run powerlines around your base! :science:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFwvmU5sqTY

Use constellations for powerful rituals (and play Path of Exile at the same time)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXQSXXXLTdU

Construct your own modular tools and weapons from various materials with unique effects!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cItN9k-9eFw

Build your own modular spells with a wide variety of effects!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6XZx9xpmpQ

Create all this loving nonsense!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIuWv7ROi8

Build a sweet kitchen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNRVC0N5nE

And so, so much more. Like, there's no possible way to describe how much more. There's so many mods, that do so many things from changing some vanilla behavior to completely overhauling the game to giving you an overwhelming number of ways to make sandwiches. And I get it, it's terrifyingly overwhelming at first, which is why I decided to effortpost a longass FAQ to help, based on a lot of questions I keep seeing over and over again. I hope it's helpful? Note: this post is probably going to age like fine milk.

Q: How do play!?
A:
First of all, and this is extremely important: The modding this thread is for is limited entirely to the Java version of Minecraft for PCs. Minecraft on any other device, known as Bedrock, has its own Marketplace for buying addons for it, which is its own thing.

So, the best/easiest/non-stupid way to get started at all is using a Launcher. These basically do everything for you, they set up a self-contained folder with all the mods you want, install the mod loader software, run it with all the proper Java arguments and such. The most 'official*' one of these is Overwolf CurseForge though they've had a long history of being very sketchy. Extremely recommended alternatives are ATLauncher and Prism Launcher which also download from the Curseforge mod repository. There are also smaller alternatives with their own modpack ecosystem such as Technic and ATLauncher's own, though these are fairly long in the tooth by now. They're good for some older packs still worth playing. FTB Launcher still kinda exists but it's mostly a proxy for Curseforge stuff now. Use whichever launcher you like to use most honestly.

Q: ..okay, what the hell is a modpack?
A: So, unlike other games, while you can just get some mods to change up how things look or add a bit of content or whatever, there's no single list of things you absolutely want to get, for reasons outlined in the next question. Instead, mods are normally bundled together in packs, called modpacks. They used to be literally just mods zipped up together and distributed like that, but now Curseforge generally takes care of everything. These can be curated in any number of ways, as mods are generally designed to be compatible with any combination of mods without expecting other mods to be there (unless they are dependencies), by being largely very configurable so that you can tailor how they work to suit what you place them with. There are also mods that allow further tinkering, like changing recipes to suit what you want out of the pack, or letting you write quests and guides. People have used these tools to make whole experiences with the game, far removed from anything the base game can do. This configuration work is.. also a major pain in the rear end, so it's extremely recommended that anyone new to modded just relies on premade packs to let someone else deal with all that nonsense. You can still add mods to a pack or update existing ones manually, though removing them is generally a bad idea, but if you want to join a multiplayer server you'll need the exact modlist (versions and all) as the server.

The typical 'genres' of modpacks are:
- Sandbox packs which largely contain a loosely curated set of mods that are otherwise unchanged except to eliminate any conflicts or problems, often designed for multiplayer servers where everyone can do their own thing together;
- Expert packs where game and mod mechanics are used creatively to make an experience that generally requires both knowledge of the mods the pack contains and the ability to think outside the box. These have recipes drastically changed from normal, usually intertwining mods together by including ingredients from different sources, or possibly requiring delving into automation to gain enough of the materials required;
- Survival is somewhat of a subgenre of expert packs, wherein you're in a dangerous situation you need to science (or magic) the gently caress out of to survive. You may be crash landed on a desert planet, stuck in space, or just surrounded by hordes of enemies breaking down your walls all the time;
- Skyblock packs are usually expert packs but not always. This is a genre of pack where you begin on a tiny platform floating in the void and are required to use various mechanics to create your own resources and build your own space;
- Questing also overlaps with expert, survival and skyblock by providing quests to follow as a way to guide the player through the challenges, often with a step-by-step guide through the challenges or pack progression, but there's also a bunch of story around and a few packs that turn basically into a mini-RPG in their own right.

As you can see these are pretty vague identifiers, but I thought detailing them might help explain what people are talking about when they use those terms.

Q: So what's this about versions? Which do I use?
A: So the thing is, Minecraft mods basically need to be entirely rewritten every major Minecraft version. Due to the time this takes development is basically tied to how long a major version sticks around. Back in the days of the previous thread's OP, 1.6 and 1.7 were extremely stable periods where a lot of mod development could happen (because a lot of game development didn't happen), but starting with 1.8 and Mojang being acquired by Microsoft, things started to go nuts.
1.8 included a major renderer overhaul, one which hamstrung basically anyone who's mods included blocks and models, severely delaying development for it. But before that could even really be overcome, 1.9 was released with its overhaul to combat (and the offhand slot), another significant thing for a lot of devs to deal with. It was only 1.10 where things settled a little for development to occur, but even that was soon superceded by 1.11 and then 1.12 at breakneck speeds. 1.12 finally allowed a decent amount of time for development and even rivalled, and in some respects surpassed, the 1.7 scene, helped along by the fact that 1.13 kinda sucked, 1.14 sucked even more, and 1.15 is a version I think may as well have not been released for how little anyone seemed to care. And now (as of writing this thread) we're on 1.16, and 1.17 looks very interesting but is taking a while, thus leading to the third 'major plateau' for mods.
(So to tl;dr, 1.7.10, 1.12.2, 1.16.4 and 1.18.2 are the major modding versions, ignore anything that's not one of those**)

As for which to use, that largely depends on a few things: if you want to play a particular modpack, well that choice is made for you because that particular modpack is on the particular version it was made for and never shall be otherwise. If you really do need to pick a version because you're making your own pack or whatever, 1.12.2 has the greatest variety of mods currently (and there's always going to be things that don't carry forward) but 1.16.4 is where the active development is so there's a very good chance any bugs you encounter are only going to be fixed for that version. So, the choice is essentially down to 'what has the mods I want' honestly.

Update early 2022: Following the shockingly rapid port of Forge to 1.18, 1.18.1 has become a relatively decently mature mod-ecosystem version in a pretty short time. 1.18.2 is also out but due to significant changes in certain things, .1 mods are likely not to work with .2 and will need to be updated. However 1.19 looks like it might make 1.18 just a version people target their mods for before slipping over to the relatively similar 1.9, but we'll see. 1.12 is still the best place for the sheer amount of stuff (and thus tools for making a variety of packs) and 1.16 can basically be forgotten about at this point.

Update early 2023: Things appear to be stable on 1.19 for now, and like I expected stuff moved to 1.18 is being pushed onto 1.19 remarkably fast. It's hard to tell exactly how mature the mod environment is as there's no good way to separate Forge and Fabric mods for a proper count, but 1.19 is strong so far, even if not quite 1.12 yet.

Update early 2024: I told you this would age like milk. 1.20.1 is currently the hot version for mods. Specifically not later versions of 1.20. However, work from the Gregtech New Horizons team and a bunch of modders unhappy with stuff happening past 1.12 have started reviving and modernizing mods on 1.7.10 and 1.12.2 respectively, continuing their legacy as peak modding versions.

:siren: Important note: mods only work on the version that they're designed for. A 1.12 mod won't work in 1.7 or 1.16. Which means you cannot mix and match mods from different versions. Hell, a 1.16.3 mod isn't guaranteed to work in 1.16.4. Additionally, worlds made with a particular set of mods on a particular version very likely won't work outside of that specific set of circumstances either. There's no upgrading a modded 1.12 world to 1.16.

Q: I bought Minecraft on the Windows 10 store/on my Playstation/on my Xbox/on my Switch/on my mobile phone? How do I do the mods?
A: Unfortunately only the Java version of Minecraft can be really modded; 'Bedrock' has its addons and you can probably find third-party addons not on the store thing but I consider that sketchy as hell. Point is, this stuff described here won't work sorry. Edit By now I think everyone with the Windows bedrock version also gets java, and additionally some crazy nerds have made a mod launcher for android and maybe ios so you can go nuts on your phone too I guess. I don't really know anything about that though, sorry.

Q: :cry: I DOWNLOADED THIS MOD FROM 9MINECRAFT AND IT SAID IT WAS FOR 1.16 BUT IT DOESN'T WORK BUT I CAN'T FIND IT FOR 1.16 ANYWHERE ELSE ALSO I GOT ALL THE VIRUSES WHAT THE gently caress :cry:
A: Holy poo poo don't do this. You download mods from one of three places only: Curseforge, Modrinth, or the developer's own website/github if they opt not to use a centralised repository (which is the case for some mods like Nutrition and Optifine). Literally anywhere else is a scam (they tend to have clickbaity headlines listing versions the mod doesn't actually support) and there's tons of them, and for dumb Google reasons they're all over Google so just try not to even if you can't find it anywhere else. Better yet, get them directly from your mod launcher.

Q: The gently caress are Forge and Fabric? What's the difference? Can I use them together? Why do they exist?
A: Forge and Fabric are what's known as modloaders; getting into the guts of Minecraft's code to make it do anything is an obfuscated nightmare for some reason, and these provide a simple way for mods to interface with it and do their stuff. Forge is the older of the two and has grown pretty heavy over time because it includes a bunch of universal tools for modders to use so that everything is as interoperable as possible, everyone can use the same power system if they want, everyone's pipes can connect together, there's a defined measurement of fluids, etc. Because of this, it tends to be a bit slow to update after each version change, and recently they decided to overhaul a bunch of code before releasing which left a vacuum for a while. And this vacuum was filled by Fabric, which is a far more lightweight service that updates basically instantly after a Minecraft version is released, but doesn't offer the same level of universal tools and hooks that Forge does (though a companion mod is being developed to add stuff like that). This, of course, caused something of a shitshow. Future outcomes are yet to be seen, but while there was rumblings of Forge entirely being supplanted by Fabric, so far all that's materialised is a few tech mods have been developed for it but otherwise it's 99% aesthetic mods and things lightly touching on vanilla mechanics. If you want lightly modded but extremely pretty Minecraft, it's your nirvana.

As for 'can they be used together?' No, not really. People have been trying to develop interoperability layers but I don't think anything has really come of that worth using.

Update early 2024: there are now Neoforge and Quilt around to get people even more confused. Neoforge however is specifically a direct continuation/update of Forge made by the same team but minus a shitload. Quilt is.. I don't fuckin know at this point. It was supposed to be the same deal as Neoforge but I don't think it had quite the same level of support so it's currently just a side thing, and might in fact be made by shitlords?

IMPORTANT NOTE: Curseforge and Forge are unrelated and are only connected by happenstance. Curseforge existed long before Forge and Forge came into being long before Minecraft mods were hosted on Curseforge.

Q: Can my [insert specs here] computer play modded Minecraft?
A: Honestly, requirements are generally pretty low with one major exception: RAM. Basically just don't try playing any modern packs with less than 8GB of RAM total, and the closer you are to 16+ the better if you want to run more heavily modded packs while still being able to have Windows run okay. CPU is also a factor, but less so unless you're packing one from around 2010 still. Older packs are more forgiving, with 1.7.10 stuff being the best due to memory usage changes since, but the major rule is the more RAM you have, the better. Kinda hefty graphics cards are needed for the 'shader' stuff that people use for those ridiculously fancy-looking screenshots but I find them overrated honestly.

Q: Ok I have enough RAM why does Minecraft lock up while loading?
A: In the launcher of your choice, when you set up a pack you'll have somewhere to choose how much RAM is given to the pack. By default this is like 3GB for some reason which is useless, you'll often want to bump it up to at least 4 - if you can't do that, you have 32bit Java and will need to get 64bit instead. Also note, pushing this up as high as you can is not helpful. It's tempting to think 'poo poo I've got 64GB of RAM I'll just give it 32GB to be safe' or something like that, but that's actually kinda harmful. Java does a thing called 'garbage collection' which basically clears out the memory once it gets used up, and the more memory assigned to it, the longer this process takes each time. This can lead to the game hanging for several seconds long whenever it does it. It's better to do shorter GCs more often than the alternative. Also, for inexplicable Java backend+modern Minecraft nonsense reasons, the game may actually use far more memory than what you assign and this is something you can't really do anything about unfortunately.

Personally, what I recommend is that you set the memory to something like 8gb or whatever, start your pack and watch the loading screen. Forge has a bar that fills up showing memory usage, and whatever number this maxes out at is how much the pack actually uses, and thus needs assigned. If you have too little, it will freeze on loading instead. It's best to ignore anyone spouting cargo-cult nonsense about how much memory anything 'really' needs and see for yourself.

Q: I've heard about these so-called 'java arguments'...
A: See: https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/5jhuk9/modded_mc_and_memory_usage_a_history_with_a/
(I don't know if more up-to-date arguments exist, these are what I use to good effect. If there's better stuff someone posts, I'll update)

Q: My game crashed and I literally didn't bother to read what the crash screen said in bright colourful words and I just want it fiiiiixxxxeedddd!
A: If you want to get help with crashes, you'll need to get the crash report, which is, funnily enough, stored in a folder called crash-reports in the modpack directory. Copy the contents into pastebin.net or something similar in order to have anyone help because nobody will know what the gently caress otherwise. If the game crashed without a crash report, you may have graphics card or RAM or driver problems you need to solve.

Q: What if I really want to make a pack myself?
A: I'd personally highly recommend joining the Minecraft Pack Development discord, here: https://discord.gg/SvrWp2k

Q: What if I want to learn to make mods myself?
A: You'll want either some knowledge of Java or a willingless to learn, and to take a look at https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php?title=Main_Page

Q: This post is too long, what the gently caress should I play!?
A: First of all, consider checking out Private Game Servers for goon-run servers, playing with friends is a great way to get into modded Minecraft in my opinion. These posts will have a modpack for you to download and join in with them with. Otherwise, while it may be sacrilege to reference :reddit: I can't deny they did a pretty decent writeup of major modpacks with https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/j66mlm/the_answer_to_what_pack_should_i_play_fall_2020/ (even if Blightfall is criminally underdescribed).

The most highly Goon-recommended packs though would probably be Gregtech: New Horizons, Blightfall and Regrowth. GT:NH is for people who enjoy crafting individual screws for their machines and want to play a single pack for multiple years at a time, Blightfall is literally the best example of a custom-crafted world and a unique story and exploration experience within it, and Regrowth is just a really well-made, chill 'save the world through farming' simulator. I'd personally add Enigmatica 2: Expert Skyblock which is both my favourite expert pack AND favourite skyblock, Forever Stranded which has you survive on a desert planet and eventually leave (and then a very weird sequel where you subsequently crash land in the nether and have to survive there too called Forever Stranded: Lost Souls), TechNodeFirmaCraft (if anyone has the TNFC:EZ download still around that might be interesting to host) for what I think Goons considered the best way to play the total-overhaul caveman simulator TerraFirmaCraft, and of course my silly packs.

If you're brand new to modded though, these days probably the best recommendation is FTB Academy, which exists to guide you through how everything generally works (and what you're expected to know going into other packs).

Edit: If you are new to modded Minecraft but want to get stuck in, or if you haven't played modded in some time and want a suggestion re: what to play to check stuff out, I would personally recommend the All The Mods series. They have a big selection of stuff AND contain a (rudimentary) quest setup to poke you through what's available.

:siren::siren::siren: An important note if you're having performance issues!:siren::siren::siren:

Though much of this might have been included with a pack if you grab a premade one, there are several mods that can either possibly have adverse side effects, or just aren't necessary except in niche situations, so they may not have been included by the pack creator. Thus a list like this is good to check if you are having problems:

Useful Mods List

:siren::siren::siren:

* Official doesn't mean endorsed by Mojang/Microsoft, but they're directly associated with the primary repository for mods, Curseforge. Note: Curseforge is a mod hosting site. Overwolf CurseForge is a launcher/mod manager. They are seperate things.
** There's a few dece modpacks on 1.10 but they're the exception. Also crusty old nerds will tell you to play 1.6 packs and can be safely ignored.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Edit July 2023:

:siren: Hello everyone, there is new Minecraft drama afoot. :siren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/14xybvk/neo_forged/

Essentially: Forge is dead, long live NeoForged. LexManos is no longer a dead weight preventing good things from being developed, or a crusty old nerd telling people they are idiots when someone asks for mod development help. Every Forge dev has moved from Forge to NeoForge except for LexManos. Nothing will change on the user/mod dev's side in 1.20, but 1.21 will start seeing changes.

Reserved for stuff.

For posterity:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Unrelated to that comment -- I found a copy of Technodefirmacraft EZ on my NAS. Looking inside of it, there's no indication of what Forge version it needs. If anyone wants to play it, it'll be a fixer-upper.

Get it here: https://mega.nz/file/uTRkFRYI#cf1YBgKZVZ7raWSTDDN-ROJdFwQnl6DuV6LZwSUUhI0

Vib Rib posted:

According to my copy of MultiMC it's 10.13.4.1614-1.7.10.

taiyoko posted:

It was a thing I found on reddit, using the openjdk hotspot release and the arguments
code:
-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseZGC

Danny Glands posted:

As someone running a 1.16.4 server, you should also have a mod that increases the max packet size in the pack.

Random tip: STOP TRYING TO GET BLIZZ POWDER FOR CRYOTHEUM BY HUNTING BLIZZES THIS IS DUMB THERE IS A WAY TO MAKE IT LOOK AT NEI/JEI IT'S RIGHT THERE AND YOU NEED THE MACHINES THAT PRODUCE IT ANYWAY SO JUST MAKE THEM RATHER THAN SPENDING 8 HOURS TRYING TO GET A BLIZZ.

(Edit: update: ignore this for 1.19 Thermal Expansion.)

SugarAddict posted:

When you eat the last item from a lunchbox that also leaves behind an item, like mushroom soup gives you back the bowl, the bowl is left behind inside the lunch box, trying to eat from the lunch box while there is an inedible item inside kicks you from the server with internal server error.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 13, 2023

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Getting in on the ground floor bottom block.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Gregtech: New Horizons status:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

are the lighter greys more or less polluted

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

are the lighter greys more or less polluted

More.

---

Unrelated to that comment -- I found a copy of Technodefirmacraft EZ on my NAS. Looking inside of it, there's no indication of what Forge version it needs. If anyone wants to play it, it'll be a fixer-upper.

Get it here: https://mega.nz/file/uTRkFRYI#cf1YBgKZVZ7raWSTDDN-ROJdFwQnl6DuV6LZwSUUhI0

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Blightfalll... is good

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Out with the old in with the new. We have been scrounging up clay sand and gravel for the starting smeltery for years now. The same microcrafting for storage systems. Setting up a dropper for charcoal onto flowers for magic juice.

Gimmie the gears and axles

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
OP: Please put GD Launcher alongside Curseforge for people like me who are hopelessly spoiled about having someone else do the work of making configs and such

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Gregtech: New Horizons status:

How high is the pollution from four blast furnaces running all the time? Actually it looks like you have a couple other sources of pollution, what are those?

The pollution values in GTNH are a bit spitballed atm, they're trying to balance it better so I'm wondering how bad it is already.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

How high is the pollution from four blast furnaces running all the time? Actually it looks like you have a couple other sources of pollution, what are those?

The pollution values in GTNH are a bit spitballed atm, they're trying to balance it better so I'm wondering how bad it is already.

The other ones are my electric blast furnace and my pyrolyse oven. I think the bricked blast furnace x4 combo ended up belching out 700k pollution before each one's stack of steel finished. The pyrolyse hovers around 600k -- it appears to have mostly found equilibrium as it spreads pollution + the natural decay. Some of that is left over from when I was running 11 coke ovens in the same spot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey! I could actually put out a new version of TNFC EZ if people are interested, since I recently got the itch to play again and I can't keep up with the new TFC+ because it's got some serious performance issues, mostly from the resource-heavy new tree models. I've made some overhauls, like re-adjusting ore spawns again, re-adding some broken recipes, fixing some cosmetic blocks, and even backporting wattle and daub from TFC+ since I really liked the simplicity and aesthetic of the blocks. Also I pruned out Pneumaticraft because it was heavily unnecessary.
I'm also kinda halfway on a TNFC:EZ Lite for TFC+, which introduces a lot of the aesthetic blocks, recipe changes, updated addons and quality of life improvements that TNFC:EZ brought to TFC, but updated to the new versions and all the changes they bring, from sewing and straw weaving to rebalanced logs and new animals.

That said it will take a little time to do since I'm kinda swamped in the new year, and the TFC+ version isn't going to have the questbook, which was pretty important for new players. It would just be too much trouble to go through and work out every kink or broken item in the line.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Hey! I could actually put out a new version of TNFC EZ if people are interested, since I recently got the itch to play again and I can't keep up with the new TFC+ because it's got some serious performance issues, mostly from the resource-heavy new tree models. I've made some overhauls, like re-adjusting ore spawns again, re-adding some broken recipes, fixing some cosmetic blocks, and even backporting wattle and daub from TFC+ since I really liked the simplicity and aesthetic of the blocks. Also I pruned out Pneumaticraft because it was heavily unnecessary.
I'm also kinda halfway on a TNFC:EZ Lite for TFC+, which introduces a lot of the aesthetic blocks, recipe changes, updated addons and quality of life improvements that TNFC:EZ brought to TFC, but updated to the new versions and all the changes they bring, from sewing and straw weaving to rebalanced logs and new animals.

That said it will take a little time to do since I'm kinda swamped in the new year, and the TFC+ version isn't going to have the questbook, which was pretty important for new players. It would just be too much trouble to go through and work out every kink or broken item in the line.

Oh, hey, what's up. I dug up that copy of TNFCEZ because the OP asked if anyone had it. Do you know what version of forge it's for?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh, hey, what's up. I dug up that copy of TNFCEZ because the OP asked if anyone had it. Do you know what version of forge it's for?
According to my copy of MultiMC it's 10.13.4.1614-1.7.10.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Life in the Woods is my favorite modpack that I still hop in to to relax, but hasn't been updated in years. What is the current best approximation of that feeling of just a massive varied world to explore with tons to craft, tons of new biomes, elaborately-generated randomly-placed buildings/cities across the map etc? I'm not interested in making nuclear reactors or calculators in minecraft, I just wanna mine, and craft, and have a massive variety of blocks, food, etc to find and collect and add to my home base. maybe find a village and help it be safe and trade with the locals. nothing super challenging, the vanilla mobs are plenty enough(though the LITW era of modpack has the skeletons with rapid-fire arrows before they toned them down which suuuucks).

basically, is there a newer, better, more expanded and varied Life in the Woods-style pack out there nowadays?

also, I'll ask this as I have at various points in time, but is there a built-in worldgen mod that does something akin to the Primordial Desert generator from almost a decade ago? It required an external program that would generate a specified-sized map of x by y chunks of an "endless" desert broken up by mountain ranges, volcanoes, and the rare oasis. You could modify the waviness of the deserts and stuff. dirt was an extremely valuable resource, as it could only be found in a few hundred blocks per oasis, so you'd have to first find one and then harvest all the dirt from it if you wanted to farm. Caves were gigantic tunnels and ore was extremely rare, but ore veins had hundreds of blocks so finding one was hitting the jackpot. There was also a system that created a massive underground labyrinth full of traps, treasure, and literal pitfalls(pressure plates on sand blocks that would drop you straight down to bedrock), creeper spawners that would spawn them in the ceiling to drop down right behind you, that sort of thing. It was really phenomenal but I don't know if anyone has ever modernized it, I'd love an actual world like that but ingame, not a predetermined span of chunks surrounded by bedrock walls.

if not, that's fine, just figured I'd ask again. :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That desert looks pretty sweet but I don't think I've seen anything quite like that. It may be possible to create with BiomeTweaker but I don't know if you'd be able to get those dunes or quite recreate the oases.

As for LITW, I mean I could make a pack with a similar set of mods for 1.16 if you like, though I don't know if it would capture the same feel for you. That said, have you tried https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/farming-valley ?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

reignonyourparade posted:

Blightfalll... is good

:hmmyes:

i continue to be disappointed it was the only pack of its kind; i heard talonos was working on a followup but then got waylaid by something so that never happened

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I really enjoyed Farming Valley.
It was buggy as hell, but it has been updated a ton since I last played it and it was fun besides that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is there a nude mod with full penne yet or is the modding scene dead?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Khanstant posted:

Wrong thread? Pretty sure nobody cares about block penis.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Khanstant posted:

pams harvestcraft might have penne. cant help with the nude stuff though

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Can't wait until Mekanism Ores is available for 1.16.4. It's frustrating not being able to 5x silver.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I just learned that in GTNH, that each individual block in a Railcraft boiler is emitting pollution. :haw:

(It's a bug and it's getting fixed)

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Danny Glands posted:

Can't wait until Mekanism Ores is available for 1.16.4. It's frustrating not being able to 5x silver.

But mekanism is out for 1.16.4? I can 5x all the ores, but considering the effort involved in 5x when I don’t need, gently caress that.

Also doesn’t FTB have their own launcher again?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I just learned that in GTNH, that each individual block in a Railcraft boiler is emitting pollution. :haw:

(It's a bug and it's getting fixed)

So after the fix, all the pollution is emitted by the controller block to save on TPS, and the pollution is multiplied by 35 or however many blocks it is?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

So after the fix, all the pollution is emitted by the controller block to save on TPS, and the pollution is multiplied by 35 or however many blocks it is?

That'd be funny, but probably not.

I lurk in their development chat room, and they had a big slapfight over pollution today. (Not related to the RC boiler thing.) Supposedly the design goal of pollution is to punish multiplayer server players for spamming tons of laggy low-tier poo poo instead of teching up. It's a very new mechanic.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I lurk in their development chat room, and they had a big slapfight over pollution today. (Not related to the RC boiler thing.) Supposedly the design goal of pollution is to punish multiplayer server players for spamming tons of laggy low-tier poo poo instead of teching up. It's a very new mechanic.

Solution: highlander boilers. There can be only one.

To assemble a boiler multi-block, you must first find and destroy all other extant boilers in the world.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Khanstant posted:

with the power of mods you can build yourself the biggest bennis in all the land.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You don't need mods to build a giant Minecraft penis, but a builder's wand would definitely help.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

you can use chisels and bits to add micro-vascularity and the complex curves at the base of the meatus

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Then add Optifine to help you get some FPS when you increase your render distance to see the whole thing! Ok, fine, maybe you do need mods to maximize your Minecraft dong project.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Black Pants posted:

That desert looks pretty sweet but I don't think I've seen anything quite like that. It may be possible to create with BiomeTweaker but I don't know if you'd be able to get those dunes or quite recreate the oases.

As for LITW, I mean I could make a pack with a similar set of mods for 1.16 if you like, though I don't know if it would capture the same feel for you. That said, have you tried https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/farming-valley ?

I appreciate the offer, but I don't want you to go through all of the effort for something like that and then it turned out to not have that same feeling. Was just wondering if there had been any similar modpacks crop up in the intervening years. It seems like Pam's Harvestcraft is still in use which is cool because that is one of the best mods in LITW. I do wish there was a "hungry" version of it that balanced the food items a bit more so you have to work a bit more to fill your hunger meter.

as for the primordial desert, there's almost no good video footage of it since every youtube upload is from 2011 it seems, but yogscast did do an episode with it and they kinda explored things a bit including one of the hollow calderas that has a neutral mob spawn and entrance to an underground labyrinth as well as a bit of some of the caverns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP119zd7TlI&hd=1&t=672s

I have some ancient screenshots I took as well showing things off. I generated a huge desert that took days to process(the primordial desert program creates every single chunk in a, say, 500x500 span, so the file size is huge too), and slowly gathered resources to create a decent home base with what I could get:

I don't have any screenshots of the labyrinths but they extend throughout the map and have access points via pyramids, some volcanoes that are empty calderas with animal spawns and dirt at the bottom, they have a few dozen variable treasure/trap/decorative rooms with glowstone chandeliers and such, and seemingly endless corridors. the traps included a chicken TNT trap that has a chicken spawner who would randomly wander onto a trigger plate and detonate a huge amount of TNT, blowing a massive hole in the labyrinth and surrounding area and sometimes open a path to the semi-rare vast tubular caverns with shitloads of ore:

the caverns are gigantic tunnels that are just packed full of monsters, this is off at the chunk loading distance:

some overworld shots, volcanoes were the only place to get regular coal:

iirc the generator was created prior to the biome update so you get random chunks covered in snow now, which is kind of a bummer:

it's a really fantastic generator for minecraft and it sucks that apparently nobody else has attempted something similar or tried to integrate it into the game proper. If I had the money on hand I would put down thousands of dollars to encourage someone to do so, it was seriously my favorite time with minecraft trying to survive in a resource-desolate desert.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 5, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

I appreciate the offer, but I don't want you to go through all of the effort for something like that and then it turned out to not have that same feeling. Was just wondering if there had been any similar modpacks crop up in the intervening years. It seems like Pam's Harvestcraft is still in use which is cool because that is one of the best mods in LITW. I do wish there was a "hungry" version of it that balanced the food items a bit more so you have to work a bit more to fill your hunger meter.

Spice of Life and Nutrition definitely make you need to work more to fill your hunger, and work great with Pam's at that. That said, Nutrition and Spice of Life are stuck on 1.12 (but, funnily, SOL: Carrot Edition is on 1.16, and there's also a new variant called SOL: Potato Edition which is like Carrot but you get benefits for how diverse your diet is rather than just hearts for eating new foods).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't see a slapfight anywhere on the Discord, are you talking about a different chat room?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The teens playing minecraft grew up with those weird youtuber higher resolution models, and it's those weird models that are animated in blender into the awkward teen smut they watch.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Grimoire of Gaia is as horny as it gets on Curseforge, and just as miserable to play

this is my favourite part of any mod pitch though

quote:

Because I lack the skill in programming enhanced AI or equipment, I intended for this mod to add mobs and make the game harder while more powerful and well coded mods provide high-end enhancements to the player.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I don't see a slapfight anywhere on the Discord, are you talking about a different chat room?

Yeah, in their discord chat room. In the github discussions room I think? It wasn't very interesting; just indicative of an ongoing discussion.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eox posted:

Grimoire of Gaia is as horny as it gets on Curseforge, and just as miserable to play

this is my favourite part of any mod pitch though

I can respect that.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The bentos are still hilarious to me. Tame monster girls...WITH LUNCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do I get quartz sand in GT:NH? It doesn't give any reference on ore generation like the regular ores. If there's any nearby, would an ore scanner show it? I didn't see it so I assumed not.