Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Qubee posted:

Anyone got advice on how to branch out into other mods in the All The Mods 6 pack? For example, when I feel finished with MineColonies, how do I find another mod within the pack that clicks with me. The only solution I can think of is to trawl through the mod list and click each one to see what it adds / does, but there's an absolute metric fucktonne of them and that alone will take ages.

I would check out this guy doing a play through of it - I think this is a link to the full play list, and they have helpful titles. So you could check out ones that sound interesting to you, look at the video for the gameplay a bit, and find a new mod to explore that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PR_HOlkok

Edit: that did not work. But you can go to his channel, and then find the playlist there

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClmdJ2bwqHjZONP9rIK7geA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Okay, gently caress pollution.

Near as I can tell, the design goal of pollution is to punish higher-tier players for spamming tons of low-level machines and wrecking server performance, and that it's a relatively new concept. I'm playing on single player, so I'm cool with turning it off.

just checking - does that setting stop machines producing pollution, or does it disable the whole pollution mechanic?

reason i ask is because i toggled it off and i'm still coughing up blood near the blast furnaces; i'm not sure if i'm editing the right copy of the cfg because i was on twitch before cursewolf. if it only stops machines from producing more pollution then it makes sense that i still get the debuffs

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

just checking - does that setting stop machines producing pollution, or does it disable the whole pollution mechanic?

reason i ask is because i toggled it off and i'm still coughing up blood near the blast furnaces; i'm not sure if i'm editing the right copy of the cfg because i was on twitch before cursewolf. if it only stops machines from producing more pollution then it makes sense that i still get the debuffs

It should completely disable pollution. I checked with my cheated-in God Scanner, which has a pollution setting, and all the pollution I was belching out with my quad bricked blast furnace just prior to my save was gone. It also turned a pollution scrubber block I had made earlier (and failed to be able to use since I didn't have the right rotor inside) into a texture-less icon-less item named ".name".

Did you toggle it off with the game completely closed? Are you playing on a server?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

I would guess it just stops the production. Use one of the high end prospector's scanners and sneak right click to change it to pollution mode and check your levels.

I would just slap a couple zeros on the limits for the pollution penalties and see if that shuts off the suffering.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i closed the (local) game to edit the cfgs; i shall try again and use the area scanners a bit later

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i closed the (local) game to edit the cfgs; i shall try again and use the area scanners a bit later

Did you exit the game entirely and close Minecraft?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Black Pants posted:

That said I've had a few people say they'd appreciate some sort of guide in packs like that so I've considered it for the one I'm going to be releasing soon but I'm not exactly sure how to go about unobtrusively informing players of their options in-game. I don't have any experience with Patchouli (and it seems a bit limited for this purpose) and while I could use FTBQ I guess it seems a bit overkill considering I sure as hell am not going to make actual quests.

My advice: forget unobtrusive. For a server I ran last year with a custom modpack, I simply wrote a cheat sheet and linked it in the op.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

That's pretty funny- I actually did the exact same thing this morning. get hosed, you worthless mechanic

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I've left it on so far, just to see what would happen. I put my bricked blast furnaces a few chunks away from my main area and I'm using solar boilers for power still so my EBF is the only thing producing pollution. Gonna see if that's enough pollution to give me any debuffs.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

McFrugal posted:

I've left it on so far, just to see what would happen. I put my bricked blast furnaces a few chunks away from my main area and I'm using solar boilers for power still so my EBF is the only thing producing pollution. Gonna see if that's enough pollution to give me any debuffs.

A single EBF will not break 500k pollution in a chunk even with an LV muffler hatch. You'll end up with its chunk and the four adjacent chunks getting very very close to 500k (the first debuff threshold), but they push enough pollution out and then dissipate that the 12k/minute of the EBF doesn't break 500k. Adding coal boilers, gas turbines, or diesel generators may push that over the limit, though. If anyone decides to not-disable pollution, upgrade your multiblocks with better muffler hatches (a good idea on the EBF anyway as it raises the return on secondary gasses anyway).

Personally I think pollution is mildly interesting but the pollution threshold numbers should be about 20% higher (which it is when I play because configs!)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

A single EBF will not break 500k pollution in a chunk even with an LV muffler hatch. You'll end up with its chunk and the four adjacent chunks getting very very close to 500k (the first debuff threshold), but they push enough pollution out and then dissipate that the 12k/minute of the EBF doesn't break 500k. Adding coal boilers, gas turbines, or diesel generators may push that over the limit, though. If anyone decides to not-disable pollution, upgrade your multiblocks with better muffler hatches (a good idea on the EBF anyway as it raises the return on secondary gasses anyway).

Personally I think pollution is mildly interesting but the pollution threshold numbers should be about 20% higher (which it is when I play because configs!)

With four MV gas turbines, I was floating around 500-600k in the dedicated chunk housing my EBF, all for the crime of running it continuously. My pyrolyse + 1MV/2LV gas turbines was about the same.

I get punishing players for refusing to tech up. I've hated low-level power gen spam in modded minecraft ever since IC2 solar panels. The current implementation, though, is definitely way overtuned. I feel like running one EBF should be okay, or one pyrolyse. I'll keep an eye on any updates and if they tune it down some, I might turn it back on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

having fiddled the configs again, i now am not getting poisoned by my desire to have seven aluminium bars. i think disabling pollution just stops generation though, i deffo got poisoned the first time editing before i made any threshold changes and i did the exact same process twice.

scrubbers need to be a bit more front-and-centre as an anti-pollution measure if the aim is to minimize server impact, imo

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, one of my chunks appears to be in permanent pollution fog. Oh well.

In unrelated news, I dunno why I didn't do this sooner:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So pollution decreases once per minute. Each minute a chunk loses 0.55% of its total pollution. Then if it has >400k, it take checks each adjacent chunk and spreads 5% of the difference between the polluted chunk and adjacent chunks.

What that means is there is a stasis point for a chunk with 100% uptime on machines where the spread and dissipation equal the amount you are producing. Unfortunately that amount is around 379/sec before the chunk stabilizes above 500k. It's way too low of a threshold and way too punishing. The debuffs are applied way too frequently and last too long. The duration and severity are based on pollution level but even the minimum 500k gives like 25 seconds.

If you shut pollution off it doesn't take more than a few minutes for the levels to drop below 500k because of how pollution pushes to neighboring chunks. Unless disabling it in the configs ALSO disables the dissipation/spread mechanics in which case I would cheat in an air filter machine, the filters, and a battery and just run it until the number drops to safe levels and then trash the machines.

Miners are incredibly awesome and absolutely worth the giant pile of steel for all the mining pipe. Cheat in an admin anchor so they actually work away from your base!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Miners are incredibly awesome and absolutely worth the giant pile of steel for all the mining pipe. Cheat in an admin anchor so they actually work away from your base!

I actually spent 0 steel on mining pipes -- all of mine came from quest rewards. :haw:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

In unrelated news, I dunno why I didn't do this sooner:

IC2 miners are really really good. The drills benefit from enchantments, only issue is it sometimes gets stuck on a cobble gen. I don't know how GT miners work though. I haven't played GT since Plus+ pack and server went down.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

IC2 miners are really really good. The drills benefit from enchantments, only issue is it sometimes gets stuck on a cobble gen. I don't know how GT miners work though. I haven't played GT since Plus+ pack and server went down.

They basically work the same way, though they have inherent Fortune the higher tier they are. You also have to go fish the pipes out of the ground when it's done mining, but in the next-ish GTNH update they're making the pipes retract automatically.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

My advice: forget unobtrusive. For a server I ran last year with a custom modpack, I simply wrote a cheat sheet and linked it in the op.

Oh that's really cool.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So pollution decreases once per minute. Each minute a chunk loses 0.55% of its total pollution. Then if it has >400k, it take checks each adjacent chunk and spreads 5% of the difference between the polluted chunk and adjacent chunks.

What that means is there is a stasis point for a chunk with 100% uptime on machines where the spread and dissipation equal the amount you are producing. Unfortunately that amount is around 379/sec before the chunk stabilizes above 500k. It's way too low of a threshold and way too punishing. The debuffs are applied way too frequently and last too long. The duration and severity are based on pollution level but even the minimum 500k gives like 25 seconds.

If you shut pollution off it doesn't take more than a few minutes for the levels to drop below 500k because of how pollution pushes to neighboring chunks. Unless disabling it in the configs ALSO disables the dissipation/spread mechanics in which case I would cheat in an air filter machine, the filters, and a battery and just run it until the number drops to safe levels and then trash the machines.

Yeah the pollution settings are definitely overtuned and the devs are lowering pollution rates (and/or raising the thresholds?), it remains to be seen if it will be enough for normal machine use to not produce debuffs.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What are the tech mods with miners? I've usually used the digital miner from mekanism but maybe I should branch out

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Xun posted:

What are the tech mods with miners? I've usually used the digital miner from mekanism but maybe I should branch out

Immersive engineering has a big one that harvests "sub-bedrock" ore deposits, IC2 has one, Minefactory Reloaded has the Void laser drill, GT has a miner thing, One mod has a "quantum miner" dunno which one, I don't know of any others.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Devor posted:

I would check out this guy doing a play through of it - I think this is a link to the full play list, and they have helpful titles. So you could check out ones that sound interesting to you, look at the video for the gameplay a bit, and find a new mod to explore that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PR_HOlkok

Edit: that did not work. But you can go to his channel, and then find the playlist there

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClmdJ2bwqHjZONP9rIK7geA

So this playlist has been a lifesaver. Thanks a bunch. There's so many mods that I never would have even bothered with as they seemed stupid to me, but seeing someone actively work through them made me realise just how useful they can be (mainly the backpack and the rftool drill [I think?]). I also saw how to make the wireless crafting table + computer storage which is what I was trying to wrap my head around for the longest time.

Currently on ep13 and just going to keep trucking through them, really excited to hop back into my main save.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Turns out that the Miner blocks in GTNH actually already retract their mining pipe, so hooray.

Comboed that with fully processing (incl. thermal centrifuge) an entire sulfur veinsworth of Sphalerite with an HV macerator and got a loving stack and a half of whole gallium dust. My prosperity is now assured. To celebrate I made two stacks of those cleanroom-only LV circuits using SMD comps.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Turns out that the Miner blocks in GTNH actually already retract their mining pipe, so hooray.

Comboed that with fully processing (incl. thermal centrifuge) an entire sulfur veinsworth of Sphalerite with an HV macerator and got a loving stack and a half of whole gallium dust. My prosperity is now assured. To celebrate I made two stacks of those cleanroom-only LV circuits using SMD comps.

I haven't committed to another run of GT:NH yet so I'm living vicariously through these updates and god is it the good stuff.

With a huge glut of materials from the miners, may I recommend Ordo Infused Solar Panels? 30 Eu/t during the day and they actually still operate at 10 eu/t at night if you ever let it become night. It costs like 8 or 9 regular solar panels attached to machine hulls but they're forever power and fantastic for LV setups like compressor/centrifuge for oxygen and nitrogen, or for powering an EnderIO farming machine with an unbreakable lumber axe running your tree farm.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I haven't committed to another run of GT:NH yet so I'm living vicariously through these updates and god is it the good stuff.

With a huge glut of materials from the miners, may I recommend Ordo Infused Solar Panels? 30 Eu/t during the day and they actually still operate at 10 eu/t at night if you ever let it become night. It costs like 8 or 9 regular solar panels attached to machine hulls but they're forever power and fantastic for LV setups like compressor/centrifuge for oxygen and nitrogen, or for powering an EnderIO farming machine with an unbreakable lumber axe running your tree farm.

My magic progress is, uh, lacking. I have a gold-capped greatwood wand and only the first two TF boss kills under my belt. I don't even have an infusion altar thingie yet. :haw:

Until I can figure out a way to get the actual warp number I have, I am going to be stepping very lightly on the magic. I do not, full stop, do not want the wither spawning warp effect. The only research I have completed with any warp gained is the one associated with research. Everything else can rot for now.

I do need to make a better tree farming setup, though. I have a Steve's Cart chopping down roughly two chunks of saplings down, and my single pyrolyse oven (now upgraded with shiny kanthal coils so it runs twice as fast!) can no longer feed it completely.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This pack is making me hate 1.16 but I'm pretty much ready to write my server post so, :toot:

Sure has given me a lot of poo poo getting this far, though.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

My magic progress is, uh, lacking. I have a gold-capped greatwood wand and only the first two TF boss kills under my belt. I don't even have an infusion altar thingie yet. :haw:

Until I can figure out a way to get the actual warp number I have, I am going to be stepping very lightly on the magic. I do not, full stop, do not want the wither spawning warp effect. The only research I have completed with any warp gained is the one associated with research. Everything else can rot for now.

I do need to make a better tree farming setup, though. I have a Steve's Cart chopping down roughly two chunks of saplings down, and my single pyrolyse oven (now upgraded with shiny kanthal coils so it runs twice as fast!) can no longer feed it completely.

It's not really possible to hit that level of warp without cheating the whole book and eating a bunch of brains. There is also a command you can use to set your warp to zero which is the route I go because gently caress warp mechanics.

/tc warp <player> set 0 TEMP
/tc warp <player> set 0
/tc warp <player> set 0 PERM

Doing all three of those fully clears all warp.

You don't need the infusion altar for the good solar panels, just an alchemical construct (since a cauldron can't hold enough essentia for the craft).

Definitely go with an EnderIO Farming Machine and spruce or jungle saplings for tree farming. What I do is make a netherrack lumber axe and just chop trees until it hits 5 open modifiers, then add paper, thaumium for 2 more modifiers, obsidian for reinforced 3, then 7 obsidian large plates for reinforced X, which makes it unbreakable. The farming machine doesn't even need full power all the time so a few solar panels will give it enough juice to check the trees occasionally and chop them down.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do trees grow differently in different biomes? Sometimes I see oak trees with 4-block-width bases in forest biomes, but in other biomes they'll just be single logs. I've also noticed oaks grow taller / shorter depending on where they are but I don't know if this is an actual mechanic or if I'm imagining it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Qubee posted:

Do trees grow differently in different biomes? Sometimes I see oak trees with 4-block-width bases in forest biomes, but in other biomes they'll just be single logs. I've also noticed oaks grow taller / shorter depending on where they are but I don't know if this is an actual mechanic or if I'm imagining it.

Biome mods have special rules for how auto-generated trees grow in each biome (or use special tricks to make fancy trees), but you can't just grow them yourself.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So even if I go and plant the same trees in the biome, they won't grow the same? Cause I love oak trees that are 4-wide, just makes harvesting tonnes of wood much easier for MineColonies.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

use spruce, a 4x4 always gives you a big tall monolith

unless you need oak specifically in which case, uh, condolences

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Qubee posted:

So even if I go and plant the same trees in the biome, they won't grow the same? Cause I love oak trees that are 4-wide, just makes harvesting tonnes of wood much easier for MineColonies.

If you plant a patch of oak saplings, like a 4x20 strip or something, they'll usually all grow together into one big mass of wood.

It's ugly, but if you're just going after the wood, then that shouldn't be a problem.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I usually use oak for tree farms, because they drop way more saplings than other types of trees, so you never run the risk of starving your farm of saplings.

Also I centrifuged a full barrel of apples into methane for big dumb organic chemistry bullshit so that was fun.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
4x20 plant Oak every day.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

In short, only plant sacred oak saplings for your tree farms

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:stare::fh:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Ah yes, I remember the sacred Rubber tree. Something that was created both to test the abilities of minefactory reloaded's logging machine and to take the piss out of Redpower's obnoxious rubber trees that would spawn everywhere. Everything I described is probably nearly a decade old now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Where do I find that sapling? And what does it do, spawn a megahuge oak tree?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Qubee posted:

Where do I find that sapling? And what does it do, spawn a megahuge oak tree?

I got it from a chest somewhere.

They're big, but not catastrophically so:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

a pretty early quest will also get you one but in GT:NH terms the Sacred Oak is so goddamn big and sprawling that i don't know at what level you're able to effectively harvest it at all