Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Clairetic posted:

i can kinda answer this. it's mostly not because of Forge at all.

1) Vanilla has started moving towards a system that requires intensive generic CODEC interfaces to anything that gets serialized. It's very convenient to use (on the code side) once you get the hang of it, but so far they've only implemented JSON and NBT formats.
2) Vanilla ships Gson now, and it's also really convenient to use, so you can just use that and not have to include another parsing/config library.
3) Vanilla also automatically generates most of the json from code anyway, and tools like BlockBench export directly to json, so you don't have to edit it by hand most of the time anyway.

There are some tools like http://commandcreator.com/Craft/ to generate json blobs for datapacks that can help make it a little less painful for stuff that's reflected in data packs.

For the rest... sorry :(

idk about this client/server/world crap tho, i haven't gotten there yet

hi muse what's up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That mod looks cool as hell and the salt thing is neat, but what are you going to do about creepers, huh?

I think early game options for nomadic players is really cool and it makes me wonder what a pack that plays into that would look like. I've always felt like the terrafirmacraft early game would be better with something that like that, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I'll jump in rear end first with that new horizons stuff and see how bad it gets :shepface:. Friends keep telling me to get this multiloader thing over curseforge, what's the difference if anyone knows?

MultiMC works better but looks gross imo. GDLauncher is the good curse alternative imo.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Clairetic posted:

This took more effort than I expected but now I understand Forge Capabilities, mob AI goals, and a bit more about pathing, particles, and sound effects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxVvtkYS-v0

The fantasy - Water slowly drips down from the basin on top and onto the hotplate, boiling off with a hiss and making the creeper think it's a real cat (in case you didn't know, real cats also scare creepers away). I think I might be able to represent that better with a few more adjustments but... so far so good.

Caveat - I know it's another 'magic block that you place down and it just does the thing' but I don't want to make people do a bunch of engineering just to make their campfire safe to dance at.

Other stuff - Skeletons can still shoot you through your ring of salt and spiders still get aggressive, but we're getting there. Spiders don't aggro at light level 11+ so doing the light ritual might help.

Coding - I figured having every creeper constantly searching their environment for cat statues or vice versa would be needlessly inefficient, so someone suggested attaching a Capability (essentially glorified NBT tags, but they automatically persist and present a uniform interface which is convenient) to chunks that keeps a list of cat statues inside that chunk, and having creepers use that as a lookup table and just check whether any nearby statues have water & fuel whenever they get an AI update. The result seems to be pretty efficient and robust.

--

While testing this I got kind of annoyed having to fill in creeper holes and I'm kinda tempted to make a type of minor earth spirit that can detect and fill in creeper holes somehow

Nice!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Reminds me of the K.C. Green comic with the whizzard

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Does that chisel mod still exist?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I meant chisel and bits but yeah regular chisel is a great source of cosmetic blocks. To me if you want to distract a more casual non-mod player showing them they can make insanely detailed sculptures in c&b is easy mode

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

D34THROW posted:

I used to run...I want to say Tekkit (?) on a $10/month Akliz server for myself. This was right after everything went under the server/client architecture and playing a singleplayer world would start a server and my computer could no longer handle both. So, I went ahead and had the Akliz instance and it ran everything fairly well.

This was back in 2013-2014 though, so YMMV.

The only packs that can run on that hardware nowadays are like... maybe tekkit legends.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They did bcrypt right, the "salt" isn't a secret, it's a randomized string to prevent people from being able to reuse brute force attempts across multiple passwords, and it is supposed to be available everywhere the hash is. Unless they had literally one salt that everybody shared, which I don't believe is the case. Any hash dump is going to be associated with some number of stolen passwords because an awful lot of people use passwords that are in the top 10k most common passwords, or passwords that were stolen in a previous breach- in fact, twitch users specifically do it so much (because they trend young), they used to have a problem with people brute forcing common passwords & credential stuffing attacks on the front door until the identity team made some stupid AI thing to lock account aggressively if anything looked weird.

Your password will not be stolen if you have practiced good password hygiene up until now, but that is not a good reason to stop practicing good password hygiene.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

What's the difference between having the salt from the list of hashes, and having the salt from the source code? The leak has hashed passwords and the source code. Why would it matter which of those two spots the salt is in?

Having the salt from the source code would imply that twitch uses a single salt for all users (bad, defeats the purpose of using a salt) but I don't think any salts are stored in the source code, and it would be a tremendous amount of work to gently caress up in that manner with bcrypt. Going over it this morning I haven't seen any evidence of salts in source code, I have seen a lot of aws aurora & firehose credentials. I was aware of the latter & it's too bad they didn't leak my 2016 jira tasks to the security team about it ;)

isndl posted:

If you have the source you know how the salt is used, so you can just start plugging in passwords to generate hashes and see if anything matches the leak. Once you have something you have access to the account using that hash, and it doesn't even have to be the original password so long as the hash matches.

Everyone already had the source for how the salt is use, it's located here: https://github.com/golang/crypto/blob/master/bcrypt/bcrypt.go

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
And if anyone discovers a fast mechanism for brute-forcing bcrypt passwords, they probably have better things to do than hijacking twitch accounts. Generally speaking when a properly functioning hash dump gets leaked, it goes like this:

code:
* Hey, I can pare down a credential stuffing attacks to just the ones that I know will work. 
 Does the website have some protection against credential stuffing attacks?
  * No -> I could already do a credential stuffing attack without this dump
  * Yes -> It will probably stop me even if I have a known-good subset
* Hey, I can locate users who use the top N most common passwords who have not already had their passwords breached
 Is that a real subset of users? 
   * No -> Then this dump is useless
   * Yes -> No it isn't
* Hey I can spend a few thousand dollars brute forcing a single admin user's password and then do other stuff with that and not make the leak public
  Are there any protections that would stop me from logging in as an admin from BFE?
   * Yes -> I will never recover financially from this
   * No -> Hey now we're in business
  Are there any mechanisms by which my breach will be discovered after I log in, limiting my gains and causing the company to act before the leak is made public?
   * Yes -> I will never recover financially from this, and also why was I doing all this again?  Surely there's something more useful I could have done with this leak before getting caught.
   * No -> John loving Madden
It's just not a good way to use your resources.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Xun posted:

Is tekkit still goon run?

Kakermix is a goon and still owns it, a lot of folks who've worked on it throughout the years are goons and still pop in to contribute from time to time (not me though! I'm lazy!). I think a lot of the day to day stuff gets done by some people who were like college dudes who wanted some part time work 5 years ago and probably aren't goons.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I know, but the snapshots are out which is what the people I know are coming to play for. I don't know anything about minecraft modding but it seems like most stuff wouldn't change too much between releases and would be easy to update for, but I could be wrong.

That's wrong on a couple levels. If this is a version that doesn't actually require rewrites, which is uncommon for new minecraft versions, it's still going to require obfuscation mappings and new fabric/forge versions which will not be available until the final release at least.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

SugarAddict posted:

An ad inside of a program running on your computer can very quickly turn into an involuntary crypto miner or anything else that someone else wants it to be.

If it's just html on electron, this isn't really true.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's a loving brilliant move by overwolf- they don't have to be the bad guys, they can count on modders to be greedy bastards.

People are just talking about bringing back "mod piracy" on Reddit though. I wonder if solder is going to get a second wind. I suspect multimc has won the launcher wars, but it does support solder packs I believe

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Change your GC flags to bring the minimum up to the maximum, make sure maximum is high enough

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
oh, are emeralds better than diamonds?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I haven't played since omnifactory and I never got very far but I think I did oxygen with sugar cane or or sugar? Once I moved on to numismatic dynamos there wasn't much need for my snad setup so it slotted right in

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Falcon2001 posted:

https://hytale.com/news/2022/7/summer-2022-development-update

MC-adjacent news, but apparently Hytale is totally rewriting their engine in C++ from C# or Java.

quote:

It makes it easier for us to release Hytale across multiple platforms.

wtf?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I mean, idk, I guess it's a pain in the rear end to get java & C# stuff running on console? Unity has some tech that makes it work & minecraft just hired port houses until they made bedrock edition (C++). But mobile would work just fine and it's a game for 10 year olds, so...

Like what were they planning to do 18 months ago?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Wasn't the blightfall dev working on something else now?

Talonos made a game jam game called Final Winter. It apparently did not sell at all, but he was able to leverage that into a decent job as a designer on mobile games (at least last time we spoke). Some Rude Teens have been working on a new blightfall update and he has lent some world improvements to the effort.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The students or whoever that run the open source project for a minecraft launcher said "wow we should have a CLA and a CoC just like real OSS projects!" Maybe they had community issues and wanted to get proactive about them, or maybe they just decided to Get Serious Like The Real Guys, or maybe they realized they should do a CLA (you need a CLA) and decided to take care of the CoC at the same time. Not having a CLA will gently caress you right up if your project lives longer than a couple years- you may find yourself in a position where you NEED to relicense code for one reason or another, but just cannot because it is the property of every individual contributor.

In response the original guy who forked the project from MultiMC who was missing presumed dead for several months came back and destroyed the entire thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Someone I was talking to about this just reminded me of the last meltdown of this type. I'm pretty sure it was posted in the thread, but it's worth remembering.

https://www.orespawn.com
https://www.orespawn.com/fight-back/

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 18, 2022

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

And given the content of his response it's very much just entry-level homophobia and transphobia anyway, so we're not missing anything.

Yeah it sucks, that orespawn thing was so strange and fun, this is just inconvenient and lovely

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It kind of looks (grain of salt) that there is some kind of jacked up NBT it is trying to read that is instantly allocating several gigs of data but I can't tell from the logs what exactly it's reading

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Your logs show that yungsextras and yungsbridges aren't present, but your screenshots show them present. Possible those jar files are busted?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A few months ago I mentioned that some college students had gotten really into blightfall and were making a community edition type update- it just went live in the technic launcher as 3.0.0-CE. Here's the changelogs:

quote:

- Configuration Changes

Basalz spawning has been disabled
Yellorite Ore will spawn in the Bedrock Dimension
Ore Dictionary entries were modified to adjust the balancing of the Unifier, as it was easily exploitable
Blood Magic's Mark of the Fallen Tower meteors have been reconfigured to spawn different ores
The lignite --> coal recipe has been changed to only require eight lignite instead of nine to preserve fuel efficiency
New infusion recipe for a Giant Tainticle Spawn Egg to allow for renewable Primordial Pearls, as well as guaranteed 100% Xenobiologist completion
You can now use Natura sticks for smeltery fuel or torches, and can create charcoal from Natura logs
An induction smelter recipe to "reverse" angmallen creation has been added
An infusion recipe for the Ember Heart has been added to allow for Nethermind creation
An alchemic chemistry set recipe for stone swords has been added to assist in Nethermind rune creation
There is now a shapeless crafting recipe to make plaintext book and quill versions of lore books for accessibility
You can now put ketchup on a drying rack to create a slimeball
Conversion between the two sulfer types is possible via a shapeless crafting recipe

- Bugfixes

Amaranth planks no longer sawmill into eucalyptus planks
Natura trapdoors, fences, etc. are all craftable

Patched several duplication glitches, including the bag of holding dupe, teleposer dupe, satchel dupe, oven dupe, servo dupe

Fixed vanilla mob spawning
Mooshrooms should now spawn on the Mushroom Island
Hostile mobs will no longer spawn on the Mushroom Island
Ghasts, blazes, etc. should now spawn in Hell biomes in the volcano
Pechs, wisps, and other modded mobs should now spawn in their respective biomes

The Purity Focus no longer wastes vis in the Obsidian Tower and Silverwood Grove
Flesh blocks are no longer recognized as taint in some instances
You can no longer teleport the Dawn Machine inside of you using a Dawn Offering
Missing language entries have been added
Wood is now properly registered in your materials book
Dawn Machine now places the correct sapling types in each biomes
Fixed a crash when having a corrupted scanner.dat file

Patched an exploit allowing players to reach the Nether

Awakened Ichorium Pickaxe no longer ignores metadata when breaking in square/line mode
Several crashes with infused seeds have been resolved
Several loot table bugs with infused seeds have been resolved
Dislocation Focus crash has been resolved

Several items with broken aspect amounts have been fixed

Several typos across localization entries have been fixed

- Gameplay/Mechanical Changes

Blood Magic:
- The questline has been reworked
- Tier 6 progression has been changed to have Thaumcraft integration, check the Apocryphia tab.
- Several new meteors for the Mark of the Fallen Tower, including Mithril Block, Coal Block, and Cobalt Block
- A "bound ring", created from putting an Angel Ring through the Ritual of Binding, has been added and can be used as a Bound Armor augment
- The Obsidian Tower has been fully fleshed out

Black Market
- Questline has been expanded to include more ores and alloys and have more diverse rewards

Dawn Machine:
- The Dawn Machine has been completely reworked, as we felt is was underpowered for the cost and hype. It will now clean an entire chunk at a time, instead of a single block. If fully powered with essentia, the effect will spiral out to clean the entire map without the need to relocate the Dawn Machine.
- Base radius for Dawn Machine without essentia has been upped to 9x9 chunks from 8x8
- Botania, Blood Magic integration as alternative ways to halve essentia costs
- Dawn Offering will no longer move Thermal Expansion energy cells, instead you can use the Dawn Charger to power it wirelessly if you wish.

Misc:
- Modified the dark oak sapling quest reward to give all four saplings required, instead of just one
- New "Completionist" quest that will lock you out of the "cheat" and Undie quests to allow for legitimate 100% Instructor completion
- Hopseed, sakura saplings added to the sapling bag loot table
- Cinderpearls and cacti will be planted in the Desert when the Dawn Machine is supplied with Arbor
- Removed Herobrine

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I will pass along that message- "involved" is too strong of a word, but I did end up pushing all the solder buttons to get it out since it turned out my access was never revoked and there aren't any full time employees at technic anymore.

EDIT:

Midnight posted:

that's literally the version in it lmao

Here's the full mod list update:

quote:

Forge Mod Loader 10.13.2.1291 --> 10.13.4.1614
AppleCore 1.1.0 --> 3.1.1
Applied Energistics 2 rv2-stable-1 --> rv3-beta6
Automagy 0.24.1 --> 0.28.2
BiblioCraft v1.10.3 --> v1.11.7
BigReactors 0.4.1A2 --> 0.4.3A
BlightBuster (reqcredit) 1.2.19 --> 2.0.5
blightcore 1.2.0 --> 1.3.0
Blood Magic 1.3.0a-1 --> 1.3.4-blight
Botania r1.6-191 --> r1.7-208
ChickenChunks 1.3.4.16 --> 1.3.4.19
CodeChickenCore 1.0.4.29 --> 1.0.7.48
CodeChickenLib 1.13.127 --> 1.1.3.141
CoFHCore 3.0.2-268 --> 1.0.7.48
Cooking for Blockheads 1.0.92 --> 1.9.140
EnderStorage 1.4.5.24 --> 1.4.7.37
ExtraTiC 1.4.5 --> 1.4.6
ExtraUtilities 2 1.2.5 --> 1.2.12
Forbidden Magic 0.562 --> 0.575
Forge Multipart 1.1.1.321 --> 1.2.0.345
IguanaTinkerTweaks 2.1.4 --> 2.1.6
JABBA 1.1.4 --> 1.2.2
Metallurgy 4.0.5.75 --> 4.0.9.148
MetallurgyCore 4.0.4.18 --> 4.0.5.30
MineFactoryReloaded 2.8.0-104 --> 2.8.1-174
MineTweaker3 3.0.9C --> 3.0.10B
MobiusCore 1.2.3 --> 1.2.5
ModTweaker2 0.7.5 --> 0.9.6
NEIAddons 1.12.2.9 --> 1.12.14.40
Netherless 0.9.0 --> 1.0.0
NetherOres 2.3.0RC4-4 --> 2.3.1-22
NotEnoughItems 1.0.4.83 --> 2.1.5-GTNH
Pam's HarvestCraft 1.7.10H --> 1.7.10Lb
Redstone Arsenal 1.1.0-80 --> 1.1.2-92
SpiceOfLife 1.2.4 --> 1.3.11
StorageDrawers 1.5.3 --> 1.10.9
TCNodeTracker 1.1.0 --> 1.1.2
Tinkers Construct 1.8.3-RFNerf --> 1.8.8
Terrain Control 2.7.0-colored-lockhack --> 2.7.0-colored-lockhack-spawnfix
Thaumcraft NEI Plugin 1.7 --> 1.7a
Thaumic Energistics --> 0.8.10.10 --> 1.1.3.0
Thaumic Tinkerer 2.5-1.7.10-471 --> 2.5-1.7.10-blight
ThermalDynamics 1.0.0RC7-98 --> 1.2.1-172
ThermalExpansion 4.0.1-182 --> 4.1.5-248
ThermalFoundation 1.0.0-81 --> 1.2.6-118
TooMuchLoot 3.0.1.B22 --> 4.0.1.B0
UBCOres 0.1.2.0 --> 0.2.9.4
Underground Biomes Constructs 1.7.2-test41 --> 1.7.10-0.8-beta49
VoxelMap 1.5.13 --> 1.7.0b
Waila 1.5.9 --> 1.5.10
WailaHarvestability 1.1.0 --> 1.1.6

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 2, 2023

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Black Pants posted:

Also hm, Botania update concerns me. Intended progression always seemed to me to use the few passive flowers you find until you get enough mana to make other stuff, but as far as I know the version in Blightfall is the latest version to have passives that don't decay.

The botania version includes passive wither, but it has been deactivated in the configs

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

McFrugal posted:

I don't see how graves make anything easier.

Well,

quote:

it prevents despawning of items while you're trying to get back to where you died.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

..btt posted:

P. sure Iskall (the mod designer) hates skyblocks, thinks it breaks the mod experience, and only added this due to endless requests.

Sounds dumb. If that guy was here right now I'd give him a piece of my mind.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Stoneblock?

Edit: oh there's a whole other page

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
To be clear you absolutely cannot copyright lists of mods or configs

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Either GTNH or Nomifactory. Nomifactory definitely gets you away from creosote and flint tools and toward serious tech much faster.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

AceClown posted:

I think if I was going to recommend an onboarding to mods pack it would probably be Stoneblock 3 tbh, it's got a solid quest book, it's short enough that makes the pack "winnable" and the quest book is pretty solid.

The hilarious loot tables from the quest rewards are also fun.

I really didn't like stoneblock's questbook. A large percentage of the quest tabs were "and here are an unordered list of things in this mod!"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm away from the game for a year or two and I have to be reminded that spiders can climb walls if you don't build them right. During a blood moon.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
For the bbf do you really have to just mine a ton of gypsum macerate and hope for the 10% dust drop or am I missing something? Calculating about 4 stacks of gypsum ore needed on average?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't forget that you can clean dusts (up to a stack at a time) by physically throwing them into a full vanilla cauldron.

Wait what? That's not in nei!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh maybe they tell you if you find redstone? I got my red alloy from a Simon says game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Doesn't impure dust say you can in the tooltip?

lmao you're absolutely right