Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I also found that for whatever reason, 1.16 packs run like absolute garbage with java 8 (which I kept around for 1.12 and older packs). The only way I've gotten ATM6 working with a playable framerate was to install java 14. (And my tolerance for "playable" is pretty low, this was like single-digit fps even with 8 GB of ram and with the jvm tuning that works great with 1.12.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It was a thing I found on reddit, using the openjdk hotspot release and the arguments
code:

-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseZGC

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

OgNar posted:

Heres a weird problem i'm having with Mekanism in a 1.16 modpack.
Setting up a tier 3 chain (1 ore=4 ingots) and everything is fine except for the chemical infuser which takes chlorine and hydrogen to make hydrogen chloride.
I can only get the infuser to take 1 chemical at a time, have tried switching all sides around, each will input separately on its own no matter the side, but when I try to input both, one simply will not go in.
I can input the 2nd to a chemical tank and use a gauge dropper to put in 10k mb at a time which starts the machine making HCI but not by pipe.
The pipe connects fine as it will input on its own.
Made sure all sides are set as input.
No idea why I can't get both to connect at the same time.

Are you using pressurized tubes? Mechanical pipes only transfers fluids, you need the tubes for gasses. Also it has to be hydrogen on the left, oxygen on the right.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

queeb posted:

You don't need a drawer controller to dump poo poo from your stuff into drawers right? Just an item conduit from let's say your cobblestone loop into drawers is enough? It'll just auto sort them into the right drawers via the conduit?

Without a controller, you have to connect a conduit to each drawer, but you don't have to use item filters if the drawer is already configured with what it should store. The controller lets you just run one conduit to the controller and it sorts them into all the connected drawers. Either way, be sure to lock your empty drawers or it'll just pull an item into it that you may not have wanted. Also if you're potentially hooking up an infinite item source to it, you should add a void upgrade to each drawer so that you don't back up your conduits and (depending on the other mods you're working with) potentially spill items into the world, causing massive amounts of lag.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm finding a bit of frustration that although the dev-branch worktables (or whatever they're called) can *pull* tools from a common container to do crafts, they don't *put them back* so you do a craft in one table, switch tables but need the same tool, and you still have to go grab it out of the first table.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been moving through Cuboid Outpost, and I just used Create to help me automate creation of netherrack (and end stone later, too). I was fortunate to have gotten an ender pearl, though, because unlike the sheep shearing example in the 'ponder' for the deployer, the block just flies out of the stone barrel the same way it does when a player does it. So ender hopper it is! I'm also just barely dipping my toes into mekanism, now that I'm able to alloy osmium in the smeltery, so I have some actual piping now too.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

I didn't know this was a thing so I'm trying to swap over... and now I'm in a hell of trying to figure out multiMC and apparently none of these javas are good enough for it to launch on

Is there a good guide to how setting things up on multiMC works because trying to google anything minecraft related is a nightmare of endless youtube videos now

For my newer versions of Minecraft, I use the OpenJ9 of the OpenJDK 11, you can set a default and override on a per-instance setting. The OpenJDK I have is in c:/program files/Semeru/jdk-11.0.12.7-openj9/bin/javaw.exe
For older versions, I use OpenJDK 8 because iirc the older forge versions don't like the newer javas, and that one saves into c:/program files/AdoptOpenJDK/...
Unsure about really old versions, though. I don't think I've played anything older than 1.7.10 in a long time.

The Settings button at the top is where you set defaults for all packs, to change a specific pack, right-click the pack and select Edit Instance. I don't know how far back in features the release version are, since I've been running on the dev branch of MultiMC since they first released the ability to get FTB and Curse packs through it.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

oh so I literally need to download Java in and of itself, when MMC told me to point it at a java I thought it meant a Minecraft install. i guess that makes sense

Yeah, curse has a Java client baked into the app, but MultiMC needs a standalone installation.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Black Pants posted:

Interesting, and annoying, predicament: space is dark. Especially (I think) when the sun is a black hole; light level is 0 everywhere by default, inside and out. Which means I need to figure out lighting everything but in a non-intrusive or immersion-breaking way. But also lighting it evenly so it doesn't look poo poo...

If you're including enderio at all, painted glowstone is always a reliable go-to. Or hiding it behind a facade of a single layer of block via chisel n bits?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

If/when I get back into omnifactory, is there some way to get into dml while staying in peaceful? Usually the whole thing is "gotta murder a fuckton of mobs to get to self-aware tier" and if I have to turn off peaceful, so be it, but uuugh.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Nice! I got together a janky-rear end create setup in Cuboid Outpost for automatic obsidian and soul sand. It wouldn't be so janky if I had planned it out properly to begin with, but I'm going to move all of it eventually anyway. Also set up the three heavy auto sieves and one compressed auto hammer I'll need for things like infinite ender pearls, using a heavily filtered xnet network to control the flow of items. I'm gonna need to do some harsh power upgrading as soon as I have my lapis singularity, as the only way those auto-sieves, auto-hammer, and auto-compressor have enough rf to run is 4 numismatic dynamos with one of the "more rf per thing" augment each, and two of them with resonant augments. Ultimate energy cables from Mekanism and an Ultimate energy cube are also in the system, with the xnet network pulling from the cube. It's just taking forever to get the three stacks of lapis I need to make my singularity and the more I swipe from the slowly growing pile, the longer it'll be before I have said singularity. May end up breaking out power into its own building separate from my warehouse. Will definitely get around to storage-bus-connecting those drawers back into my ae network so I can more easily access that stuff, just a bunch of digging and cable laying, and I kind of also need to make sure of where I'm going to need to place drawer controller slaves and trim to connect up drawers that are otherwise disconnected. My base is a mess and I'm slowly making it less of one as I get into being able to proactively craft stuff, set up my ae autocrafting area, that sort of thing.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

How many mods do you have, and how much RAM did you let Minecraft access? Worldgen (generating new map) is kind of a pig in vanilla to begin with; depending on the mods you added, you might be asking the local server to generate EVEN MORE poo poo and if there's not enough RAM, it'll slow to a crawl as it uses your swapfile for extra space.

Oh god yes, I'm involved with an upcoming server that's still in the build/testing phase, and an attempt at pregen went horribly... because the ore generator being used set to "curves" meant that every chunk being generated had to check up to 20 chunks around it to see if the vein continued into it. It was taking ~2 seconds per chunk. Switching it out for clusters resulted in a much faster pregen time, especially important because we're pregenning a 50,000 block radius.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I'm part of a team getting a server ready on 1.12.2 (because Flan's), and we're having some spawn protection problems. We're trying to prevent pvp and spawn griefing in the spawn zone between luckperms and worldguard, but even with pvp set to deny to our permissions group in LuckPerms, we're still able to kill each other. We can't kill mobs or break/place blocks, as is intended, and invincible is supposed to be on for the region, but we're still having trouble with this.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Magnum torch or the like?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Bleh.

So the Minecraft server I'm working with is on 1.12 for proxy reasons. I want to make a little mod that adds one new mob. I have been struggling with trying to loving setup the forge development environment for 1.12, but because it's old, no support available. As a personal thing, I started learning Java with the Netbeans IDE, and so I'm trying to set this up in it, but the one bit that I can't loving get is making the drat program use the old version of gradle since forge mdk 1.12 is only compatible with forgegradle 3, and forgegradle 3 is not compatible with the newer versions of gradle.

Too tired to keep bashing my head against it.

All I want to do is make a creeper-like mob shaped like a hedge with custom audio.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So today I managed to figure out my issues with setting up a 1.12 dev environment in Netbeans.

First, I had to edit
code:
C:\Program Files\Netbeans-13\netbeans\etc\netbeans.conf
to have the jdk home point to my java 1.8 install instead of the 1.17

Then, stuck a copy of most recently updated ForgeGradle 3 in a folder and pointed to it as a repository in build.gradle

Finally (and may not have been necessary?) ran
code:
gradlew wrapper --gradle-version 5.6.4
at the command line from the folder where I was trying to set up the dev stuff. Essentially, 5.6.4 is the last version of Gradle to be supported in ForgeGradle 3, which is the last version of ForgeGradle to be compatible with 1.12.2.

Figured I might as well share it just in case someone out there ever decides they need to make a 1.12 mod. May also help someone struggling to set up other older and no-longer-supported-by-Forge toolchains in the future.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Depends posted:

I had a group playing Create Above and Beyond and everything ran great for a few weeks. Out of nowhere one guy started getting "NBT data tag that was too big" errors and no one can get near his house anymore. Another guy's setup was leaking entities any time he was offline, if the area was chunkloaded it ran fine but if it wasn't loaded the entity count would start climbing unless he shut everything down before he logged.

Looking at the "nbt data too big" thing I found that it's gonna be a container with too many big tag items in it, like a chest with a shulker full of ae2 drives, or other nested full containers. Also some people on older versions of mc were having issues sometimes with graves being the culprit.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm sad that it doesn't seem to have the appropriate sound effect for those old-fashioned flippy signs.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Bhodi posted:

What's the early method of collecting create outputs? I literally just built the first waterwheel/sieve in rustic waters 2; are you supposed to put hoppers at the end? I haven't used create before.

I didn't know about the spiderweb sapling; I kinda wish I didn't have to browse reddit for tips on modpacks and that the authors would take them as feedback and amend their quest lines to include useful stuff like this.

I would say the andesite funnel. It's similar to a hopper in that it'll collect things into a chest, but you can smack it with the wrench to make it pull instead. Brass ones can be filtered.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

ewe2 posted:

What's the benefit of poly over multi? Looking at the website, I can't see any feature that makes a skerrick of difference, multi has been solid for me on linux for ages.

Poly will tell you which mods of a curseforge pack need to be manually downloaded (due to overwolf exclusivity settings) and install what it can automatically, where multi will just straight up fail the pack install.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Man, y'all got me wanting to play Nomifactory now but I still got one more night before I move into my new place and can re-assemble my desk and PC. Will early game murder a mostly lovely Windows 7 laptop?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Comedy answer would be setting up a free oracle server and connecting to that to offload a bunch of the processing then turning off particles/animations until you get playable speeds.

Not really a bad option anyway, if only to avoid "leave computer on overnight to grind out production". :shrug:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So if you want to go with the always-free server from Oracle, be sure to check that region the you're selecting at account creation has more than one availability domain since it can't be changed later. I went for San Jose instead of Phoenix because I thought "hey, a little closer to home has got to be better, right?" Nope. San Jose has exactly one availability domain, and it's already full up on free Ampere servers. Phoenix has three domains, but since I'm locked into San Jose, I'm screwed until Oracle decides to make more availability domains for San Jose.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

LtSmash posted:

I haven't been able to even make an account. It rejects my card and then says I'm either behind a vpn (I'm not) or using a prepaid or virtual debit card (Also no). Support told me to email them with the details and then email support sent me back an email that said "Unfortunately, we are unable to resolve this or process the transaction. This is all the information we can provide."

I turned off my adblock and privacy possum, but even though it put the transaction through on my discover card, I couldn't get it to work until I used my Visa debit card from my credit union. But I was just getting a sort of generic "something went wrong" message after inputting my card details.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

PolyMC is the new hotness, it's a fork of MultiMC and instead of choking and dying when it encounters a curseforge mod that's had 3rd-party downloading disabled in a pack, it just gives you the link to manually download it, while still grabbing what it can automatically.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

I just did T4 miner, im ages away from the creative tank

And I've barely made my first steam dynamo...

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm still very early in lv and I keep putting off making stuff because I'm already getting tired of manual mining with hammers. I keep having issues with tin and copper because I keep finding the lovely-for-them veins. Is there anything I can do beyond the grind yet? Just spend my coins instead of hoarding them?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

But not MultiMC, as far as I can tell. You can’t import the zips anymore.

Yeah, it's because of the curseforge exclusive mods thing. MultiMC just fails the import, while I know PolyMC gives you a list of those mods so you can manually download and add them to the instance instead. I know gdlauncher has some kind of similar thing going on as well.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rynoto posted:

The first, and biggest, thing that jumped out here is that you're using an old java version while getting a java error so a quick update would be my first step.

Nah, it's a 1.12 pack, Java 8 is normal for that. Not sure 1.12 even supports newer.

I'd suggest trying to update reborncore and techreborn to the latest 1.12 versions, since it's reborncore that's crashing.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

First Prism release is out!
https://github.com/PrismLauncher/PrismLauncher/releases/tag/5.0

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Have you tried installing and using Java 17? The logs say you're using Java 19, and similar crashes in Google are from using too new a Java for the Minecraft version the person is trying to play.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

... How is one supposed to get polonium at all in stoneblock 3, then, since the entire game world is, y'know, underground? (I haven't been playing it myself, just watching a playthrough where they're starting on the mek reactor because of needing polonium singularities.)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I apparently picked the wrong region, and there's never been any free tier servers available when I try. And you can't switch regions.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I know it took a while for mine to show up, I just have literally never been able to use it because every time I try, San Jose AD-1 (the only AD for San Jose) is always out of capacity for the free-tier servers. And you can't change region once the account is made.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

There's the steampunk pack, though that also has thin air and cold sweat, so you've got to manage temperature and have respirators (or diving helmet+backtank) for both high and low elevations (iirc, >128 or <0).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

I ended up starting with this one and got a little house going near a generated village, so we'll see how it works out. I like it so far. Unfortunately neither TC (not on 1.20) nor Heph (on the wrong framework) work with it, but I can live with vanilla tools.

Is Tetra available? As far as i understand, it's also better than vanilla tools.