Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think my favorite old modpack was probably Regrowth. I played a ton of it some years back, and it's too bad it's still stuck on such an old version of Minecraft because it really was an interesting time. I got super into it. Never really found another quest-based modpack that hit me the same way regrowth did.

Actually, I may as well ask for recommendations in that vein. I can't really play minecraft any longer without having some kind of objective beyond vanilla's mechanics or playing in multiplayer. Ideally I'm looking for a modpack that has an in-game quest book with rewards, but also limits progression so that you must actually use the quest book. I'm sure there's a million skyblock quest book modpacks around that fulfill this criteria but that's why I'm asking here. Maybe someone knows a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well, like, Regrowth didn't technically block you through quest rewards, but it was structured in such a way that following the quests also progressed you along the modified tech paths the pack had put together. Basically, I'm looking for something where my progression loosely mirrors a quest book because it just helps me set short and long-term goals and stay focused on them. Agrarian Skies was another example of this from what I remember.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's really funny to see people unironically suggesting a gregtech pack these days because back when technic pack was getting started, it was the butt of jokes here. The million intermediate steps to lengthen IC2's already somewhat complex recipes especially.

I can't help but think of those days when I see you all mentioning it, heh. I have a bunch of stories from early minecraft modding days since I was there, helping test the pack in prerelease.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well, I tried out GTNH yesterday and it seems interesting so far. However, I kept getting huge lag spikes while playing, some so bad they actually crashed minecraft without crashing the game, causing all entities to stop moving and for the game to crash when trying to exit. Today, I tried booting it up and opening my world, and the game just never loads the world, instead just kicking me out to the main menu again. Maybe this pack was just never meant to be for me. Maybe it's the ghosts of technic pack past trying to stop me from playing a gregtech focused pack.

Any thoughts?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"2.1.0.0QF1-1.7.10"

The lagspikes don't seem exploration related because they happen the most at my dirt hovel, especially when doing item management. The actual crashes only happened twice yesterday but the large spikes happened a good 5 or 6 times.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I noticed I had way more Minecraft processes in task manager than I should've. I'm thinking some of them were from the crashes yesterday, and that's why the launcher suddenly told me I was still in a previous session just now. So I ended those and restarted the pack once more. Got to the main menu, got the world loading, then as soon as it looked like it would work the game crashed fully and cleanly, and the launcher gave me this error report:

code:
The game crashed whilst ticking memory connection
Error: java.lang.NullPointerException: Ticking memory connection
Exit Code: -1
I can try the mipmap thing mentioned above but if it doesn't make a difference I'm not really sure what to do.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll have to find where the error logs are located because I didn't click open full at the time. I have 8GB of RAM dedicated to it out of my 32GB available. It actually loaded the world properly this time so I think I'm going to take advantage of it while I can? But I'll look for the crash log as well.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Bann posted:

Take a look at Heavens of Sorcery - its another pack by the guy who put together Regrowth. It has an extensive questbook, gated progression, and is a skyblock with one of the more enjoyable resource "grinds" I've come across (gigantic stack size for basic resources, early interesting automation options + novel resource generation.) I got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/heavens-of-sorcery

Ooh, this sounds pretty neat! If GTNH doesn't stabilize for me, or if I need to take a break from it, I think I'll definitely give this a shot. I never really got into as many magic mods compared to tech mods, so this would be a really interesting time. Thanks!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Quick update on my end, I turned Mipmap levels to 0 last night and since then I haven't had any problems with my GTNH install. Here's hoping it stays that way as I make my way out of the stone age!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna play GTNH. I can feel myself falling off from it more and more each time I play. I just hit Steam, and now I'm facing the prospect of needing as much bronze and iron as I do to proceed, and then dealing with steam boilers and potential explosions, and I just feel so spread thin playing by myself. The added crafting steps to make everything is starting to wear on me too. The opening was interesting to see how the super stone age progression worked, but now I'm past that initial novelty. Do we have any kind of PGS server for GTNH here?

I might go back to Heavens of Sorcery as a solo venture, since that had a real interesting opening progression and was a lot lighter on, well, everything.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just hit LV in GTNH after slowly making my way through Steam Tier. I also saved up a bunch of Steam loot bags and converted them to LV tier, so I have a few extra electronic components that I don't have to craft now, and a golden lasso! That'll definitely come in handy.

I'm glad I didn't give up on the pack when I thought I was going to, because Steam was really the first time where I was starting to see ways to increase my component gains, such as the forge hammer, or using the macerator to slowly double my iron. Honestly, what I'm really looking for right now is somewhere to put all my creosote because I can't use it fast enough to keep my coke oven generating coal coke for steel production, but that might change as I get into LV, who knows.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also make a Tool Forge if you haven't and get a Lumber Axe! 2x2 Spruce or jungle trees + Netherrack lumber axe gets you an inventory full of wood in a couple minutes to feed your hungry coke ovens.

Why netherrack specifically? I made a general purpose lumber axe out of steel and other Reinforced materials but I'm curious if netherrack has a specific property I'm overlooking. Unless it's just because it's cheap to repair or something.

Also, the sheer amount of things available in LV from the start is a bit overwhelming. I think I'll go mining for a while to grab some more copper, tin, and iron, and think about where to start. The Wiremill seems like a good first one.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Speaking of oreberry harvesting, is there any way to guarantee I get a drop of berries when i right click to harvest? I noticed there seems to be a 50% chance or so that the bush actually harvests when right clicking with an empty hand. I might've missed something though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You'll get tons of it from mining small ores, just wash the impure dust by throwing it into a cauldron filled with water. You'll need to use a vanilla minecraft bucket to fill the cauldron, and you can throw a whole stack of dust in at one time to reduce how much water you're using. Steal a cauldron from some of the little witchery huts if you can't make one yet.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's good when you're too lazy to wash anything less than a stack in a cauldron though. If I have a full stack to wash then yeah I'll just toss in the cauldron.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My own GTNH world. I'm in LV, almost at MV.

My base at a wide, high angle. You can see some animal pens I haven't filled, my small farm, my original 9x9 cobblestone houses, my smeltery way in the back, and my steam age setup. I moved to this tropical rainforest a while back to take advantage of the 120% humidity. Unfortunately, it means I can't do any bees here, so that's a bit of a downside for now.

For LV I decided to make a building to house everything in. It currently has two floors, with the second floor being exclusively non-automated coke ovens making creosote. I'll maybe automate them eventually, once I feel like I have resources and brainpower to spare to them.

Another shot of my Steam setup. My power is still based off steam production, so this is all still relevant. I'm currently generating the bulk of my power from one 1x1 solid fuel boiler and two 1x1 liquid fuel boilers. I actually built a 2x2 liquid boiler a while back, but I didn't have enough creosote production set up and automated to keep it full and producing, where the 1x1s burn the creosote slower and therefore make more power with less frequent manual involvement.

Inside the building, my storage is on the side. Everything is unlabeled because I just remember where it all goes. I got the enchanting table from a lootgame the other day. Did you know if you try to pause the lootgame during the final round where it plays a totally new random puzzle, it doesn't count that whole round? I had to play it 5 times to finally get my rewards.

My LV machines. There's a slight bit of automation for some of them, most consisting of automatic chest output or stacking hoppers. The rightmost machines are actually on a separate electric circuit to cut down on wire length. They're mostly machines that want water as an input.

I made a maintenance hall behind those water-needing machines in order to run some internal pipes down to them. This is where the secondary power production for those machines is as well, powered by the single liquid boiler. It's not much, but these machines aren't the ones I'm currently using the most either, so it works out. The nearest steam turbine powers my ULV washer.

My near-future plan is to try out an LV Hydrogen/Oxygen Electrolyzer setup I found on the GTNH wiki. I'll be needing those in decent quantities soon, or so I hear.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So Hydrogen isn't as useful unless you're making fuel from oil. Oxygen gets used in huge quantities for things like the arc furnace or making steel in the Electric Blast Furnace. Electrolyzing also consumes a TON of power (because hydrogen can be used to generate power it needs to be net negative).

What I like to is use a compressor to make compressed air cells, then centrifuge those for nitrogen and oxygen. You can make it an automatic closed system using a GT tank since they auto-empty filled cells and just route the empty ones back into the compressor. The entire setup uses like 10 eu/t which makes it great for running off solar.

The nitrogen can be used to lower the EU cost of making aluminum in the EBF from 192k to 144k so it's actually a net gain of power using the nitrogen that way.

If you've gotten to the twilight forest and have any extra steel, the high pressure solar boilers are an excellent way to power independent low draw setups until you can make ordo infused solar panels with thaumcraft.
This is great information and I'll keep it in mind next time I play! Thanks!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's probably the furnace being across chunk boundaries. I had the same thing happen to me. Also, zinc is a very light tan, almost white but not quite. I don't think you can find the ore blocks for it yet, just as a byproduct.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You'll need a little bit of gallium for quests so you should definitely centrifuge some of it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Make a Wiremill as soon as you get to LV. And a Bending Machine. Together they let you go from 2 ingots = 1 wire to 1 ingot = 2 wires.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh I thought they were playing GTNH. I wasn't paying close enough attention.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Heavens of Sorcery modpack has a mod enabled by default that makes all stack sizes 8192, even the ones in your inventory, and I feel like that should just come standard in modpacks now. It was so nice.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Iron Chests are great for basic storage upgrades. I've always liked them, and I think the mod is a bit more expansive with options these days.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love the flavor of magic mods but unless they've been customly integrated between each other like in Heavens of Sorcery, I'll fully agree that they all pretty much sit as standalone products. Some try to replicate tech mod things like how Botania flowers fill a variety of niches that tech mods often do, but most of the time a magic mod does its own thing. And then on the opposite end you have Thaumcraft, which is super cool as a mod but I can never bring myself to fully appreciate it because in every form since like TC2 it has been progressively more and more time-wasty and dangerous to actually play with. I remember one version had the research table straight up give you random research every time you tried using it, even stuff you'd already fully researched, and there was basically nothing you could do about it, at least in the early game when you're actually trying desperately to get the one research you need for progression.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I started playing a pack called Levitated yesterday. It has an interesting premise in that it's exploration and quest-based but plays in reverse: You start in the End, work to the Nether, and then eventually escape to an overworld that basically doesn't exist any longer because it has collapsed. There's traces of story and lore thus far, and it's certainly interesting to have to start in the End islands with custom recipes for basic crafting stations. I haven't gotten very far but it looks like it starts with some basic tinker's stuff and immediately moves into Botania as your first source of progression. It uses advancements instead of a quest book, which is okay I suppose, but it's taking some getting used to.

It seems promising but I'm barely scratching the surface of it so far. I'll give it some more time and see what it's like.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Is there any word on how close to stable release the current dev branch is? I was thinking of trying it once it was formally released.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's less that and more that I already have a lot on my plate between games and work so if it's still a ways off from stable release I won't feel too bad continuing to wait for it while I work through the things I have going on. Y'all seem to be having a really good time with it, and it sounds a bit less intense than GTNH was in a good way, so I definitely want to check it out eventually.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How about "Putting mechanical objects into my assline"?

Add "Automatically" to the front of that and we're golden

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Vib Rib posted:

There's probably a better thread to post this in, but Apico, a game based on or inspired by Forestry's beekeeping, has a pretty fun little demo out. I was never even a big fan of Forestry myself but the laid back pace and involved mechanics of it hooked me. If you were one of those weirdos who actually liked beekeeping this might be for you.

Forestry was always a neat concept of a mod to me, but over the years I recall the dev making it more and more obtuse with more intermediate steps and all the bee and tree stuff went straight into the realms of time-consuming random chance. And I mean, I get that breeding is pretty random, but it often took so long to do, and was really built around you having a lot of different biome setups all over the place at a time when there weren't a lot of good traversal mods out and in modpacks yet. There are much better ones now at least. Anyway, Forestry was always neat but it was just grindy and random enough that I never did much in it beyond getting myself Workbenches. Those things were amazing in Regrowth. Great block.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just disable Blood Moon events if you play those. They're no fun at all.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Glad to know Minecraft mod drama never stops.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I remember playing GTNH either last year or the year before and stopping around the time I hit LV, maybe partway through LV, mostly because I was starting to hit a point where I was getting overwhelmed and feeling like I couldn't keep up. I did enjoy my time with it though. I'm tempted to give this new update a shot regardless, especially since the performance should be better.

edit: Ah yeah, I was playing on 2.1.0-QF1 back in early 2021. Probably should assume my old world won't update properly to a new version, plus I do recall a bunch of stuff early on where I had to pack up and move my whole base because it was more beneficial to be in a humid biome early thanks to water tank accumulation.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Knowing how Gregtech was initially received around here, it's really funny to hear the team behind it these days is at the forefront of modding advancement and permissive licensing. But yeah it's super impressive what that team is creating. That 2.3 video listed a number of them.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I like how this version of GTNH had a message at the beginning of the quest book basically saying "hey don't worry about getting to the end of the book, very few people do. just enjoy yourself and set your own milestones for how far you want to go." I'm gonna follow that advice as I play.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I restarted my GTNH world for the 2.3 update and I just hit LV. I'm in love with the new convenience of having programmable circuits be super easy to modify, and single block machines now having a ghost circuit you can just specify the configuration for without even needing the physical circuit. It says there are reasons to have the physical circuit later, but I'll worry about that when I come to it. I also got really lucky with an LV lootbag and got a free LV Macerator out of one. A nice little bonus for me.

Hooplah posted:

dipped back into GTNH after a ~6 month hiatus and installed the newest version. Loving the quest changes and the new trees for things like nuke setups, plus all the optional quest steps.

Optional quest steps are also such a huge timesaver, especially for those moments where you're crafting through steps and forget to add a component to your inventory long enough for it to be detected by the questbook. The quality of life features added in this patch have been great.

vvv edit: Ah I didn't know that since I skipped playing on 2.2. Either way, it's a lot more friendly to play now.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 25, 2023

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They even made the dastardly carrot quest optional. No joke, that quest made a goon I knew give up on the pack.

Which one is that? I'm guessing it's in a tier higher than I've gotten to.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gosh I must've blasted past that one this time without even thinking about it!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright so I'm back to LV in GTNH now after my restart and this is about where I fell off last time because things started getting a bit complicated. My goal is to progress further so it's time for me to understand electricity. I've been reading the gtnh wiki page for it but I just want to ask some questions about how it works to help me understand it all better.

Let's say I have two turbines, steam for this example because that's all I have right now. Each outputs 1A, so I'll need 2x cables for it, correct? I know that EU loss exists the longer the cables are so I'm trying to move machines that have high EU requirements for common operations (Bending Machine, Lathe, Alloy Smelter, etc) closer to the turbine. Now, the game and wiki both say that most machines can accept more than 1A of power. In my actual setup I'm using just one steam turbine so I have 1A going through some 1x tin cable. Does upgrading to two turbines and 2x cables help me mitigate the EU losses that occur when I run too many machines at once? Like, if the bending machine and lathe are running at the same time, one of them will inevitably not get enough consistent power to finish its operation and I'm wondering if running 2A through the cables will help them be able to run simultaneously so I have fewer insufficient power problems and can run more things at one time.

Also I just managed to craft my first LV battery buffers last night and if I'm reading them correctly, these will make it so that even if the power coming into them is lower than 32 EU due to cable loss, they will output 32 EU again, kind of like how a redstone repeater puts a redstone signal back to full strength? And also that the batteries inside them will act as temporary power sources of their own if you had a loss of EU generation from your turbine for whatever reason.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks, both of these posts are super helpful.

I've been considering my options for better power sources but I keep coming back to how to mitigate pollution at this early stage. For now the quest book seems to be suggesting to just perform these polluting activities farther away from my base, which is how I'm currently handling my bricked blast furnace and charcoal pile igniter setups in the nether. I guess I could keep my steam turbine setup for my machines cluster and create an outpost for my future EBF away from the base using light fuels? I remember when I played last there were people in this thread who just suggested disabling pollution in the configs because it didn't add much to the game overall other than annoyance, but I don't know if that's still recommended or where to find those config settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks, I'm going to turn it off now. I already removed hardcore darkness and infernal mobs for not really adding anything fun to the game, I have no problems removing this as well.