Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with playing modded minecraft with a controller? I know that sounds dumb but I can’t sit in an office chair and play games atm due to a medical thing and I miss modded minecraft. With all of the hotkeys I know it’d be difficult, but a mod that let me bind to a controller would work. I’m gonna need a keyboard in front of me for some stuff, but it should be possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I think I'm going to look for a nice lapboard and wireless keyboard/mouse unless I can get my steam controller to work, that's a great suggestion. Last time I tried to run modded through steam it had issues because of the launcher, I'll try again.

This ain't a temporary thing so I might as well look for a long term solution.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Why the gently caress did this happen and why isn't the minecraft modding community more "torches and pitchforks" with this?

Because tbqh we are lucky they let us mod the game at all and it's all volunteer work. Unless someone forks up the cash to host everything and partners with some dev group willing to create an open source launcher we ain't got a leg to stand on.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Black Pants posted:

:psyduck:

Edit: god managing this 1.16 server is absolute hell. Unexplainable TPS issues, RAM leaks, things being randomly broken, and just now it was acting like TPS was under 20 when both /forge tps and Spark said otherwise.

18.02 05:13:30 [Server] Server thread/WARN [minecraft/MinecraftServer]: Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 83931ms or 1678 ticks behind

:bang:

Here I am thinking about getting an enterprise grade VPS just to let 5 people on my server at once and have it run ok.

Edit 2: It's not making me want to go Fabric though it's making me pine for 1.7.10.

The 1.16 server requires a ton more resources than 1.12, so much so it’s really pricey if you want to host a vanilla server with more than 2 or 3 players, and never mind farms. That poo poo is just going to destroy your tps unless you are willing to throw a beefy cpu and about 16Gb of ram at it. I don’t think adding 150+ mods to that equation is going to go well.

I used to run a vanilla server with 5-10 players doing whatever the hell they wanted on 4gb of ram and a poo poo cpu.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’d be down for a 1.7 pack! I want to make play on a good mp server without hosting it for once.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

drat dude that looks fantastic.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ewe2 posted:

You know, you should really learn some basic research skills, it's really not very hard. All you have to do is search github for the name of the repo and you will discover that it was forked and no I'm not going to do that for you, get off your lazy butt.

You could learn not to be an rear end in a top hat and choose to provide a link too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ewe2 posted:

You have all the information you need, you just don't want to do it yourself. If a partially blind person who's had 2 strokes can manage this, surely someone who wants to build a nuclear reactor but doesn't want to research how to can find a github repository by its name for gently caress's sake.

Or you could choose not to be an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I can't find it or I'd provide a link and I don't even play MC much anymore. lol