Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Gregtech: New Horizons status:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

are the lighter greys more or less polluted

More.

---

Unrelated to that comment -- I found a copy of Technodefirmacraft EZ on my NAS. Looking inside of it, there's no indication of what Forge version it needs. If anyone wants to play it, it'll be a fixer-upper.

Get it here: https://mega.nz/file/uTRkFRYI#cf1YBgKZVZ7raWSTDDN-ROJdFwQnl6DuV6LZwSUUhI0

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

How high is the pollution from four blast furnaces running all the time? Actually it looks like you have a couple other sources of pollution, what are those?

The pollution values in GTNH are a bit spitballed atm, they're trying to balance it better so I'm wondering how bad it is already.

The other ones are my electric blast furnace and my pyrolyse oven. I think the bricked blast furnace x4 combo ended up belching out 700k pollution before each one's stack of steel finished. The pyrolyse hovers around 600k -- it appears to have mostly found equilibrium as it spreads pollution + the natural decay. Some of that is left over from when I was running 11 coke ovens in the same spot.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Hey! I could actually put out a new version of TNFC EZ if people are interested, since I recently got the itch to play again and I can't keep up with the new TFC+ because it's got some serious performance issues, mostly from the resource-heavy new tree models. I've made some overhauls, like re-adjusting ore spawns again, re-adding some broken recipes, fixing some cosmetic blocks, and even backporting wattle and daub from TFC+ since I really liked the simplicity and aesthetic of the blocks. Also I pruned out Pneumaticraft because it was heavily unnecessary.
I'm also kinda halfway on a TNFC:EZ Lite for TFC+, which introduces a lot of the aesthetic blocks, recipe changes, updated addons and quality of life improvements that TNFC:EZ brought to TFC, but updated to the new versions and all the changes they bring, from sewing and straw weaving to rebalanced logs and new animals.

That said it will take a little time to do since I'm kinda swamped in the new year, and the TFC+ version isn't going to have the questbook, which was pretty important for new players. It would just be too much trouble to go through and work out every kink or broken item in the line.

Oh, hey, what's up. I dug up that copy of TNFCEZ because the OP asked if anyone had it. Do you know what version of forge it's for?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I just learned that in GTNH, that each individual block in a Railcraft boiler is emitting pollution. :haw:

(It's a bug and it's getting fixed)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

So after the fix, all the pollution is emitted by the controller block to save on TPS, and the pollution is multiplied by 35 or however many blocks it is?

That'd be funny, but probably not.

I lurk in their development chat room, and they had a big slapfight over pollution today. (Not related to the RC boiler thing.) Supposedly the design goal of pollution is to punish multiplayer server players for spamming tons of laggy low-tier poo poo instead of teching up. It's a very new mechanic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

I don't see a slapfight anywhere on the Discord, are you talking about a different chat room?

Yeah, in their discord chat room. In the github discussions room I think? It wasn't very interesting; just indicative of an ongoing discussion.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Checking uses of the Overworld version of the Calcite Ore, there's a recipe to use the Forge Hammer to turn it into Crushed Calcite Ore that I really question. I don't think that works with the Steam Forge Hammer. There's a Pulverization recipe for it that has the same processing icon as the Macerator, but shows four products along with the two Crushed Calcite Ore, while I only get one from the Macerator. I have figured out that I can kind of infer from the Pulverization recipe that I can use the Macerator at this point, but it doesn't come up among the tabs.

Building on what was said earlier -- maceration (or pulverization) can output byproducts once you get to HV macerators or later. Your steam macerator only has one output slot, so it will only create the thing in the upper left (crushed calcite ore.) An HV macerator will create the crushed ore, and occasionally the byproduct in the top right. I am only in the HV age myself so I'm not sure when new macerators make the tertiary and quaternary products.

At your tech level, trying to make your first bricked blast furnace, your calcite processing will probably be:

1) Dig hole
B) Macerate calcite ore into crushed
iii) Forge hammer crushed calcite into impure calcite dust
IV] Physically toss into the world (using Alt-click from your inventory screen or Ctrl-Q from your hotbar) impure calcite into a placed vanilla cauldron with water in it a stack at a time to wash it into regular calcite dust. (Or less than a stack at a time if you enjoy bailing water into a cauldron)

All those extra steps exist so you can perform additional processing steps later on in the tech tree. There's centrifuging, electrolyzing, ore washing, simple ore washing, thermally centrifuging, sifting, and even chemical baths. You don't have to worry about any of that right now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

runchild posted:

Hmm, I wonder if I have an NEI setting that needs changed or something. Autocomplete only ever gives me a ghost pattern and doesn’t actually move items into the grid regardless if durability is involved or not. I assumed this was just the way things worked in 1.7.

Shift-Click.

You're used to 1.12+ JEI, where normal click moves exactly enough to complete one of the recipe, and shift click moves as much as possible. In 1.7.10, normal click makes ghosts and shift-click moves as much as possible.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are there any convenient tricks for synchronizing Better Questing progress with new teammates on a server? We added a new person to the group and most of the progress didn't make it down to them. I thought that if they logged out and back in that more would synchronize but it didn't.

The worse-case I see is to enable edit mode, get all the missing quest IDs, and then just set them to complete on the console, one at a time. I really want to avoid that though.

This is also with GT:NH so for all I know, this has been improved post-1.7.10.

Try having the new person run /bq_user refresh . I've never actually done a quest pack with a team so I have no idea if this will work.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:yeshaha:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I'm fighting the good fight to get Logistics Pipes added to GTNH :sun:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

ohhhhh MANNNN

i updated GT:NH and couldn't get it to run anymore, so i preserved my saves and reinstalled

i forgot to preserve my journeymap

Just cheat in an extremely high-tech scanner.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:neckbeard:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

Nether stars are just treated as a kind of “ingot” or crystal in the same class as stuff like diamonds, lapis, all the gt gems, Thaumcraft shards... all of these things can be compressed into blocks then cut into plates. Or pulverized into powder, and the powders can be autoclaved back into crystals.

Those steam engines consume steam, not produce it. They turn steam into rf, which I never really saw a good use for

To put a finer point on this -- the way you compress those items into blocks is that you get 9 of the item (nether stars), compress it into a block, and then cut it using the block cutter. This means that even though the widget in question needs 6 plates, you have a 9 nether star buy in. :haw:

I'm actually not too worried about withers, honestly. Since enderIO is in, it has the witherproof building blocks in as well. Assuming I can make these, or the thaumcraft unbreakable equivalent, I can just make a cage for the wither, then stab it to death through a murderhole. Rinse, repeat as needed.

The only use for RF that I've found, so far, is to recharge my item magnet that I got from a loot bag. I just have an enderIO capacitor bank (one I also got from loot bags) stashed away with a coal generator on it (also mostly acquired from loot bags.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Okay, gently caress pollution.

Near as I can tell, the design goal of pollution is to punish higher-tier players for spamming tons of low-level machines and wrecking server performance, and that it's a relatively new concept. I'm playing on single player, so I'm cool with turning it off.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

just checking - does that setting stop machines producing pollution, or does it disable the whole pollution mechanic?

reason i ask is because i toggled it off and i'm still coughing up blood near the blast furnaces; i'm not sure if i'm editing the right copy of the cfg because i was on twitch before cursewolf. if it only stops machines from producing more pollution then it makes sense that i still get the debuffs

It should completely disable pollution. I checked with my cheated-in God Scanner, which has a pollution setting, and all the pollution I was belching out with my quad bricked blast furnace just prior to my save was gone. It also turned a pollution scrubber block I had made earlier (and failed to be able to use since I didn't have the right rotor inside) into a texture-less icon-less item named ".name".

Did you toggle it off with the game completely closed? Are you playing on a server?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i closed the (local) game to edit the cfgs; i shall try again and use the area scanners a bit later

Did you exit the game entirely and close Minecraft?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

A single EBF will not break 500k pollution in a chunk even with an LV muffler hatch. You'll end up with its chunk and the four adjacent chunks getting very very close to 500k (the first debuff threshold), but they push enough pollution out and then dissipate that the 12k/minute of the EBF doesn't break 500k. Adding coal boilers, gas turbines, or diesel generators may push that over the limit, though. If anyone decides to not-disable pollution, upgrade your multiblocks with better muffler hatches (a good idea on the EBF anyway as it raises the return on secondary gasses anyway).

Personally I think pollution is mildly interesting but the pollution threshold numbers should be about 20% higher (which it is when I play because configs!)

With four MV gas turbines, I was floating around 500-600k in the dedicated chunk housing my EBF, all for the crime of running it continuously. My pyrolyse + 1MV/2LV gas turbines was about the same.

I get punishing players for refusing to tech up. I've hated low-level power gen spam in modded minecraft ever since IC2 solar panels. The current implementation, though, is definitely way overtuned. I feel like running one EBF should be okay, or one pyrolyse. I'll keep an eye on any updates and if they tune it down some, I might turn it back on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, one of my chunks appears to be in permanent pollution fog. Oh well.

In unrelated news, I dunno why I didn't do this sooner:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Miners are incredibly awesome and absolutely worth the giant pile of steel for all the mining pipe. Cheat in an admin anchor so they actually work away from your base!

I actually spent 0 steel on mining pipes -- all of mine came from quest rewards. :haw:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

IC2 miners are really really good. The drills benefit from enchantments, only issue is it sometimes gets stuck on a cobble gen. I don't know how GT miners work though. I haven't played GT since Plus+ pack and server went down.

They basically work the same way, though they have inherent Fortune the higher tier they are. You also have to go fish the pipes out of the ground when it's done mining, but in the next-ish GTNH update they're making the pipes retract automatically.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Turns out that the Miner blocks in GTNH actually already retract their mining pipe, so hooray.

Comboed that with fully processing (incl. thermal centrifuge) an entire sulfur veinsworth of Sphalerite with an HV macerator and got a loving stack and a half of whole gallium dust. My prosperity is now assured. To celebrate I made two stacks of those cleanroom-only LV circuits using SMD comps.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I haven't committed to another run of GT:NH yet so I'm living vicariously through these updates and god is it the good stuff.

With a huge glut of materials from the miners, may I recommend Ordo Infused Solar Panels? 30 Eu/t during the day and they actually still operate at 10 eu/t at night if you ever let it become night. It costs like 8 or 9 regular solar panels attached to machine hulls but they're forever power and fantastic for LV setups like compressor/centrifuge for oxygen and nitrogen, or for powering an EnderIO farming machine with an unbreakable lumber axe running your tree farm.

My magic progress is, uh, lacking. I have a gold-capped greatwood wand and only the first two TF boss kills under my belt. I don't even have an infusion altar thingie yet. :haw:

Until I can figure out a way to get the actual warp number I have, I am going to be stepping very lightly on the magic. I do not, full stop, do not want the wither spawning warp effect. The only research I have completed with any warp gained is the one associated with research. Everything else can rot for now.

I do need to make a better tree farming setup, though. I have a Steve's Cart chopping down roughly two chunks of saplings down, and my single pyrolyse oven (now upgraded with shiny kanthal coils so it runs twice as fast!) can no longer feed it completely.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I usually use oak for tree farms, because they drop way more saplings than other types of trees, so you never run the risk of starving your farm of saplings.

Also I centrifuged a full barrel of apples into methane for big dumb organic chemistry bullshit so that was fun.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

In short, only plant sacred oak saplings for your tree farms

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:stare::fh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Qubee posted:

Where do I find that sapling? And what does it do, spawn a megahuge oak tree?

I got it from a chest somewhere.

They're big, but not catastrophically so:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MechaCrash posted:

The mod author's response was that, when RedPower was broken up into distinct modules so you could install only the parts you want, the trees and volcanoes were in the Machine portion which contained all the poo poo people actually wanted, because gently caress you, Eloraam's got a ~vision~ and you will adhere to it. :cripes:

The reason mods got split up into multiple parts like that was so mod authors could get 8-16 times more adfly revenue for their own mod. No one, and I mean no one ever installed anything but the entire kit of modules offered.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Helpful GTNH tip: If you make large volumetric flasks, be aware that they can only transfer at most 1000mB a click. This confused the heck out of me for a while.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I haven't had too much use for animals in GTNH yet. I did set up a chickens-on-a-hopper setup for collecting eggs, but now I have a full barrel of eggs and nothing to use them for. :v: For everything other than that, I just use lots of soybeans. 1.7.10 Pam's is pretty unbalanced^H^H^H^H good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:yeshaha:

(when you break Primal Shrooms, they explode into vis for your wand to collect, so now I don't have to run around and hit up nodes or tech up to centivis)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

the watering can grows them super fast if you weren't already aware! it's a little tedious for getting lots of different crafts consecutively, but it gets the job done.

Yep -- you may notice that I only made 9 and grew them in a 3x3 square. :haw:

Also another thing I found out -- the focus of equal trade can trade all of those stupid 5-minutes-per-block multiblock bulk construction blocks, like the clean room walls, for dirt. I'll actually be able to move my cleanroom now!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Definitely go with an EnderIO Farming Machine and spruce or jungle saplings for tree farming. What I do is make a netherrack lumber axe and just chop trees until it hits 5 open modifiers, then add paper, thaumium for 2 more modifiers, obsidian for reinforced 3, then 7 obsidian large plates for reinforced X, which makes it unbreakable. The farming machine doesn't even need full power all the time so a few solar panels will give it enough juice to check the trees occasionally and chop them down.

So I tried making one of these, and it doesn't quite work.

* You can't make paper tool parts at all in GT:NH.
* Thaumic doesn't add a modifier.
* Magical wood DOES, but it only works once, and requires Carminite from the Ur-Ghast tower to craft.

So my axe is currently at reinforced IX. That being said, I think I can just go out and grind more tool XP and get another modifier that way, so it ought to still work. Just a heads-up for anyone else who got ideas based on this.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

Might be dreaming, but I'm pretty sure GT:NH paper tool parts need paper stacks. Craft 9 paper or something per 1.

edit: looked it up. 64 paper per TiCon crafting item, in a compressor.

You can make the paper stacks just fine. You can't turn around craft the paper stacks into tool parts. They're disabled; I asked in the GTNH chat room and that's what one of the devs told me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

You need to make a paper stack in a compressor, I believe, it takes like 64 paper per unit. Because of course you do.
It may have changed in the most recent update but Thaumic has worked for me every time I've used it?

You might still be able to add the extra modifier with a diamond and a block of gold.

Edit - oh poo poo i should read the posts below the one that quotes me. TOO LATE. Weird because I've definitely made paper tool parts before, must have been a recent change.

I just ended up grinding out one more modifier from tool XP. Wasn't a big deal. I now have an unbreakable axe for my ender IO farmer. :toot:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i've hit new horizons MV and kind of flopped re: planning my next moves. i'm a bit paralysed re: decomming my LV infrastructure

i figure it'll be pyro oven, multiple blast furnaces, bigger suites of LV lathes/wiremills etc for ease of mass production, and maybe some bulk gas storage and bigger multiblock machines along with ore-washing/thermal centrifuging as standard. gotta use the benzene power somehow.

it's just a bit of a pain in the dick that advanced coil blocks all seem to need a vacuum freezer so i need to reach HV before making anything fun

You don't NEED to decommission your LV machine stuff. I still use mine even in HV. The wiremill, lathe, arc furnace, polarizer, brewing machine and alloy smelter all run decently fast and don't really need to be upgraded.

Good MV goals are a pyrolyse oven, an automatic tree farm with Steve's carts (or forestry I think might be available) for feeding it, and an auto MV miner. You can kill off entire veins of ore with the MV miner, one gas turbine, and like 8-16 benzene cells.

MV is a pretty short tier. Rushing into HV for the HV macerator is recommended. With the HV macerator you unlock byproducts, which lets you go from rationing your gallium to having stacks of it, among other things.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Related to that, there's a vote going out to disable the pollution mechanic formally. I feel even less wrong about disabling it locally!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is the normal GT:NH Thaumcraft wand progression something like this?

1. Smash nagas. Make an iron-capped, wooden wand.
2. Smash more nagas. Make a gold-capped, wooden wand.
3. Smash lich. Make a gold-capped, greatwood wand.

I'm there with my plain-old iron-capped, wooden wand about to make the greatwood wand and seeing I need 30 vis in all the primals, but the wand will only support 25. It sounds like I have to blow some effort making an intermediate wand I'll immediately throw out.

This is correct. I used my gold-capped wooden wand for all of one craft to make the greatwood version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cicadalek posted:

In GTNH, is there a way to stop a machine from trying to complete it's current operation? I know you can whack it with a mallet to stop it trying to start any new operations, but I have a machine that keeps running out of power-mid operation and restarting even when whacked. Breaking it with a wrench and replacing it works, but this means you lose whatever resources are currently being processed which sucks.

e: never mind, it does stop it from drawing power, which was my main issue. I guess I need bigger steam pipes or something.

There's no way to pause a machine mid-craft, no. What you can do is disconnect it from power (right clicking with wire cutters on cables performs connection/disconnection operations like wrenches do to pipes.) This will cause the machine to sit and spin indefinitely, but it SHOULD* retain the materials you used to craft. Then, when you've sorted your power, reconnect it.