Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

crushed ores or impure dusts don't show up in NEI. i assume this is due to preset options, because there are a poo poo-ton of them.

macerators - all different names, including the stupid EV+ ones - all perform the Pulverisation process, which oredoubles for the most part.

forge hammers perform the Forge Hammer process. this does not oredouble, but will crush raw ores and powder crushed ores. it will also make plates out of ingots and produce whole products from rock/gem ores like coal, diamond, emerald.

at steam level, put your ores in the macerator (unless you need whole coal or diamonds). steam age machines operate at LV capacity (i.e. only processing 32eu/t or below recipes), but using steam directly at a poor steam-to-EU conversion rate. LV machines are way more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

finally... an additional 10% ore byproduct from maceration is within ur grasp...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Okay, gently caress pollution.

Near as I can tell, the design goal of pollution is to punish higher-tier players for spamming tons of low-level machines and wrecking server performance, and that it's a relatively new concept. I'm playing on single player, so I'm cool with turning it off.

just checking - does that setting stop machines producing pollution, or does it disable the whole pollution mechanic?

reason i ask is because i toggled it off and i'm still coughing up blood near the blast furnaces; i'm not sure if i'm editing the right copy of the cfg because i was on twitch before cursewolf. if it only stops machines from producing more pollution then it makes sense that i still get the debuffs

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i closed the (local) game to edit the cfgs; i shall try again and use the area scanners a bit later

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

having fiddled the configs again, i now am not getting poisoned by my desire to have seven aluminium bars. i think disabling pollution just stops generation though, i deffo got poisoned the first time editing before i made any threshold changes and i did the exact same process twice.

scrubbers need to be a bit more front-and-centre as an anti-pollution measure if the aim is to minimize server impact, imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

use spruce, a 4x4 always gives you a big tall monolith

unless you need oak specifically in which case, uh, condolences

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i sort of miss the modding revolution when things like minefactory reloaded and thermal engineering kicked in, giving you effective and easy Boxes What Do Automation Without Bullshit blocks

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

melting down fish to turn them into electricity is an odd thought

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

turning your cleanroom into a filthroom

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've hit new horizons MV and kind of flopped re: planning my next moves. i'm a bit paralysed re: decomming my LV infrastructure

i figure it'll be pyro oven, multiple blast furnaces, bigger suites of LV lathes/wiremills etc for ease of mass production, and maybe some bulk gas storage and bigger multiblock machines along with ore-washing/thermal centrifuging as standard. gotta use the benzene power somehow.

it's just a bit of a pain in the dick that advanced coil blocks all seem to need a vacuum freezer so i need to reach HV before making anything fun

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do it with robotic arms

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ugh, polyethylene

ugh

really highlights how you want to automate the lower levels of your production chains first!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah i ended up doing option 2, producing a bunch of forestry compost by mixing crops and dirt (because it produces shitloads of biomass at once when brewed)

you can automate the production of dirt and the production of crops relatively easily with forestry farms (especially a rubber plantation feeding into centrifuges for all those plantballs to pulverise) but getting a reasonable amount of ethanol for ethlyene synthesis by running hither and yon in your base is a pain

i was only bloody doing this so i could build plastic pipes to build supertanks to fill with wood tar and benzene!!

e: i'm the assline

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus christ the legacy of industrialcraft2 continues

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Speaking of gregs, it's time for more gregposting

The fourth step of the road to going whole HOG (High Octane Gasoline) is finished! Light and heavy oils are being cracked, then distilled into further fractions; a staggering two (of 16) I actually need for HOG. The others are being stored for their usefulness in crafting, or are so useless that they can only burned for power. Basically bunker fuel!

how are you getting your oil to the column? did you set up shop near a huge geyser, or do you have a massive overland pipeline?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Nuebot posted:

So it's been like a decade since I last played minecraft and I don't really know where to start. Do I just grab Curseforge and download whatever modpack has the most stuff from it?

you probably want a modpack that has quests that guide you through the use of the mods, to familiarise yourself with concepts like item pipes, oredoublers, power etc. might i suggest Gregtech: New Horiahaha no

Baby's First Space Race usually gets suggested as an intro, but it doesn't seem to be on curseforge. i'd suggest something on v1.12 with a load of mods and without a skyblock map; there's a pack called FTB Academy that seems to fit the bill, it might be good to get your head round that before cracking into an actual non-tutorial pack like MC Eternal or something

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do not play new horizons first

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is this the version of minecraft where mipmapping has to be turned off lest everything break

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

real basic question that you may already have thought of - how much RAM are you giving the pack?

e: beaten like an lv steam turbine trying to support a thermal centrifuge

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

:\Users\[your name here]\Twitch\Minecraft\Instances\GT New Horizons\mods

delete the Infernal Mobs .jar

:\Users\[your name here]\Twitch\Minecraft\Instances\GT New Horizons\config\GregTech\gregtech.cfg

change whatever booleans you want to change under "machines"; ctrl-f for rain_causes_explosions

e: poo poo, just realised i moved from twitch to the overwolf client. you might have stuff in a different location. just search for gregtech.cfg to get the location i guess

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

mods posted:

unable to move or kick but still very able to breed

hmm

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Macerator, or mine small ores. Wash dirty stone dust in a cauldron by dropping it in

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Too many rats

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

benzene

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

still can't read that as anything other than "delerium tremens"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

look i'm just going to suggest Blightfall so that no-one else does. it's only MC 1.7.10 though i think.

better to play it prior to playing later versions of minecraft so that you don't feel like you're going backwards, tbh

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

that's a gaping anus and drooping testicles right? I'm not the only who sees that?

you have to turn on your monitor

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Trying to connect a steam engine to a CEF. RF to EU converter.

the cef outputs eu which needs gregtech cabling to carry, but the dynamo outputs rf which needs enderio conduits. you want conduits from dynamo to cef, then probably gregtech conductive iron cables from cef to greg machines

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

more peaceful packs are always welcome. gently caress minecraft combat

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

like, if you match up the power draw of the biodome and the power supply then players will have to choose what they run. not seeing a problem unless you want conduits themselves to be limited

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Well the problem is that if I actually couple the biodome power with what the player can use, them overloading it is going to kill all their crops and animals heh.

I was just thinking like, "Here are some exposed power connection points the player can connect their powerlines to, but there's only like 256 rf/t available from them."

how about have the actual power supply to the biodome reliant on some inaccessible redstone-activated piston to jam a block into place, so that the player has to put a small amount of power into a one-off receptor to trigger a pulse to effect the repair?

you then don't need to worry about what they do subsequently, and you can slot in the "build a small engine" or whatever quest ahead of this

otherwise yeah, providing like a trickle of spare power is not a big deal. or you could add in a repeatable "fix stuff" quest that allows more seeds and spawn eggs to rebuild the biodome if the player fucks up, and also gives warning to not gently caress up

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't you have to electrolyze glass

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

wait hold up WHAT

10 redstone through MV electroylyser -> 3 mercury, 1 silicon, 5 pyrite, 1 ruby dust

6 ruby dust through MV electrolyser -> 1 chrome, 2 aluminium, 3 oxygen

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the what

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

try reading this thread, the one we are posting in, again. there is a pretty good summary like three posts from the bottom of the last page

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I need to know some intricacies of side-products from Gregtech pulverization in Omnifactory. Say I'm pulverizing granite for 1% thorium at ULV. The chance doubles for each tier. So if I'm actually using HV (ULV->LV->MV->HV), does that mean it's 4% or 8%? I want to know if that compounds per tier or does it multiply from the base rate. Does it just cut off at 100% for any given thing? My ore processing is HV tier too and I wonder about upgrading to IV.

i understand your base rate for pulv byproducts starts at HV and doubles from there, and will not rise past 100%.
this comes from a poorly remembered quest description though, i've not yet actually got my hv ore processors up.

do you have any use for coal? sourcing that from somewhere and centrifuging it will give appreciable amounts of thorium, and if coal is renewable (e.g. microverse) amd useful (e.g. fuel, turning into carbon, making phenol) then that could be handy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Man, the amount of work happening to the 1.7.10 NEI version in GTNH is crazy.

Just about the only thing missing is the search tree style searching from JEI.

this is incredible

now if they could include a wiring calculator, because gregtech wiring rules simply Will Not Stick in my head...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's more that the info never stays in my brain and i always fear my cables flashing into dust for no reason

if i have 16 1-amp machines on a circuit being fed by a 16-battery buffer i know i need 16x cable, but some small element of my mind rebels and refuses to accept this

but ty for the refresher it's always handy

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

INSUFFICIENT BALLS

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same but i still try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean, yeah it's limited. you have to use specific virtual hardware and you get a relatively weedy amount of Computer by corporate standards, but it's far more than enough to tool around as a personal user and set up a game server

they don't seem to cut it off after any set length of time.