Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man, playing Omnifactory is really putting into stark relief how bad I am at acquiring large quantities of material without aids like Mystical Agriculture, Mekanism's digital miner, etc. :catstare:

Just barely starting to crack into MV and I'm just in a constant state of "oh god I don't have enough X" and "how many different chemicals are there????".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

I had very little trouble in this regard because the scanner and diamond hammers (later the fluxbore) will quickly get you more ore than you can carry. There's some passive miners but I ended up not needing them as much until I got to fuller automation from things like DML or even microverses. What resources are you winding up short on?

Right now it's copper and iron. I constantly feel like I don't have enough steel/darksteel, and all the big multi-block projects seem to take an absolutely comical amount of cuprenickel.

I finished my pyrolese oven and now it's just... a profound feeling of now what? I'm supposed to break into MV now but it almost feels like I would need to start a whole new facility just for MV stuff what with all the "DO NOT EVER CROSS THE VOLTAGES SO HELP US GOD" verbiage in the quest book.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Don't underestimate using mass amounts of LV machines as they're cheap and can then feed into MV assemblers or whatever.

Hmmm, maybe that's where I'm going amiss, I've only built one of each thing so far.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I think what I need to do is sit down and figure out what automation looks like in this because I'm trying to think in the same way as in other modpacks I play (I play on a server with some friends running a curated 1.16 pack, and reading this thread was what got me on the idea of Omni) and it's clearly not working. Thanks for the vibe check, y'all.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Okay I may have missed something in the book or other reading but... how the heck do I control where a machine gets inputs and outputs? I'm so used to Mekanism where there's a whole drat UI for configuring I/O that all these Gregtech machines just have me confused. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Finally got the drat polymer clay stuff automated! :toot: I still have to move clay around itself from sim to sim but man it feels good to see the clay just roll in, and I'll probably do something about that "have to install it manually" crap soon enough. :)

It's ugly and it's janky but I did it. :woop:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 20, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Omnifactory: So I have a working polymer clay assembly and a self aware shulker DML churning out mass amounts of diamonds. The problem is, I kinda did my polymer clay drawer far away from the simulation chambers driving everything, and I still want to get a setup going where I have multiple sim chambers churning out pristines.

Is there a good way to move the polymer and diamonds around (to feed numismatic dynamos) without a shitload of ender item conduits?

In the same vein, if I have a thread of item conduits that link all the sim chambers, loot fabricators, and a drawer, can I use item filters on the import side to make the fabs only take pristines and shuttle all the regular matter off to a voided drawer?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

OniPanda posted:

Learn to relax and love the AE2.

Are there any good guides for dumbasses on how the gently caress it works? Everything I've found makes it sound like this complicated, imperceptible nonsense, so I've just been using it for the really big, searchable box. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Holy poo poo the coded ender chests are perfect. :woop:

A work in progress but that's got enough room for fourteen sim/fab setups plus neumismatics for each setup. :D

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

An addendum on Omnifactory chat: Here's a floor that does most of the pro-active autocrafting of solid ingredients towards a tier 1 microminer. That is what I then need to send through a microverse projector to grab some ore I need to completely close the feedback loop and move up to further tiers of proactive autocrafting:

The DML stuff and fluid crafting are on different floors along with power generation and on-demand crafting. Ingredients are just exported into machines, collected into drawers, and exposed through storage buses; nothing triggers a crafting job. Ingredients for later stages are just automatically refilled as they are depleted. I get the impression this is what is expected of the pack.

My base overall consumes about 64,000 RF/tick, but that's included some higher-tier stuff and most of the machines involved are MV-tier. On the other hand, demand will further increase when I close the loop and have ore processing automatically just accept everything from the microverse projectors. I had to distribute numismatic dynamos across floors because the conduits cannot transmit all the power from a common location.

Yeah, between this and the youtube playlist that was posted (I haven't gone any further than I myself have gotten, so beginning of HV), I'm starting to realize that I've been playing Omnifactory all wrong, lmao.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I'm thinking about packing up all my machines and just heading to the skyvoid and building a big ol' platform to tinker on. I figure I can leave my drawer full of polyclay and diamonds behind and just continue using ender chests until I rebuild that architecture voidside.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Personal advice for OF is to make at least 4 of every machine it tells you to, and automate any resources in the quest chains. Tie everything together no matter how messy or inefficient.

That's what I was really missing, I think. I kept trying to have this almost industrial cottage feel going, and just kept getting stonewalled on "oh I need this, but I also need this, but the compressor is making this other thing" repeatedly.

I think taking it to skyvoid will free me from the "well I need to make it look like A Place" mindset and I can get full feral automation engineer on it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

...Holy poo poo I just cottoned onto the fact that, as long as you are reprocessing the Magnesium Chloride that making Titanium generates, it's self-sustaining outside of the Rutile. :aaa:

...I could put an ME conduit next to a chemical reactor with a robot arm to pull in rutile and carbon dust, spit the titanium tetrachloride into a blast furnace, and have an electrolyzer at the output hatch to take the MgCl2 to turn back into Mg to feed into the titanium furnace, couldn't I? :aaaaa:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Omnifactory: Can anyone share a picture or similar of what their rocket fuel setup looks like? I'm trying to follow this flowchart but getting all the fluids going the right way is ruining my brain. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just ("just" lol) set up a reactor/distillery for each of the quests along the way and used the ME network to plumb between them and magically got a pile of rocket fuel at the end of the quest line.

Bleh, I was actually trying to avoid getting too heavily into fluid storage, but I guess there's nothing else for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

That helped a lot, thanks!

Let's goooooo :getin:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm standing on the precipice of LuV and just ughhhhh why are Lumium and Signalum so annoying :negative:

Really tempted to just build another 12 or 16 sim chambers with just thermal elemental data to poo poo out rods forever for all this crap.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

don't you have to electrolyze glass

Correct. 4 glass in an electrolyzer makes a nether quartz, which you react with molten ender for resonant clathrate.

E: I'm sure it can be done way more elegantly but this is what my setup looks like, with everything at HV tier:

I found glass to be a massive bottleneck for a while, hence three electric furnaces cooking it constantly.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 30, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

convert redstone into chrome

wait hold up WHAT

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Don't the automated tables have to be touching the unpackager? My impression of how everything worked was that the packager bundled things up into a single item, then the unpackager took that packaged item and opened it up and deployed it to a crafting receptacle (so an automated package crafter table, an assembly line, etc).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Backpack mod(lets you craft basically extra inventories you carry in your main inventory, essential when some mods add like 2000 individual item types) also seems broken/gone

Sophisticated Backpacks has 1.18 support and is really nice IMO.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sophisticated Backpacks has a toggleable magnet add-on you can shove into your backpack. :v:

I dunno about the other options but if you're already using the mod, might as well use all its features.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mycroft Holmes posted:

any decent quest modpacks out besides GT: New Horizons and Nomifactory?

I'm also curious about this, maybe with a touch less "if you don't have a server eat poo poo"-itude than Omni/Nomifactory.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Thanks to whoever it was that recommended Rustic Waters 2, by the way - I've been having a ton of fun with it, and it was nice to be forced to learn a little bit of Create in a way that made sense before I could throw myself fully into Mekanism like I'm comfortable with.

I even built a Create-based elevator for going between stories in my base. :toot:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I just took to building on the seafloor. :v: I have to have hydrostatic pots and my pumpjack down there, so why not build core infrastructure down there? String up some Immersive Engineering powered lanterns to disable spawns and build an ethereal glass encasement if you really want to, and you're golden.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Black Pants posted:

It was the shearing leaves to turn into leaf bundles to right click into string that put me off but fair the rest does sound neat.

To be fair that only lasts until you get your first eight - you can craft a spiderweb sapling with 8 string and a sapling; it grows spiderweb fruit which you can right click for string, and you can even force them to grow faster by spamming sneak.

E: And later you can hydrostatic hopper pot string-making plants, and even later throw them into a hydroponic bay.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

A mechanical belt and a chute pointing at a chest would probably work, I think.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I'm very glad that Rustic Waters 2 is way more forgiving with the Draconic Evolution hellball, because it took a couple of tries to figure out what the gently caress before getting it working.

On the other hand, I'm currently filling up a 3.2 TFE induction matrix at about 5 million RF a tick. :toot:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hated micromanaging that between exploring and fighting.

That's one of my least favorite parts about space-related mods. I get that logically I should not be able to survive on Venus without a space suit but it's loving annoying.

Not as annoying as AE2 channels, but close.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Man, I'm staring down what I need to make some of these creative items in Rustic Waters 2 and wondering if I want to bother. I finished the controller to let me go home but some of these creative things, man.

There's not even a good entry point that makes the rest of them easier. Antimatter doesn't go into a creative fluid tank, etc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Unfortunately I only used ender tanks/mekanism tanks/thermal's black hole tanks for liquid storage. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

alright, another quick rustic waters 2 question - how do i persuade the TE fractionating stills to split crude oil into light/heavy oil, rather than make rocket fuel? there's NEI recipes for both and, vexingly, they both need crude fed into a still.

alternate question if that's not a thing - what can rocket fuel be used for? i've been greatly spoiled by the amazing gregtech NEI experience of "seamlessly telling you what everything is for", and going back to "uhhh you can use this fuel to fill a bucket with fuel" is a pain.

Rocket Fuel is for... putting into buckets and then shoving into the tank of your rockets that you make later. :v: If you aren't gearing up for space yet, stash the rocket fuel but your real prize out of that conversion is a renewable source of Bitumen to mix for Ethanol.

If you're used to Mekanism like I am and had a momentary panic attack of "WHERE IS MY GAS BURNING GENERATOR AAAA :supaburn:", don't forget that you can feed ethylene into rotary condenstrators and then a still and get equal parts ethanol (for your gas turbines) and ether gas (for your hydroponic beds).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, at least in my experience, power generation starts with Create, then moves into a gas-burning turbine multiblock (or several!) powered by ethanol, then the DE hellorb.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

IMO, AE2 is best in packs where they just loving disable channels, like Omnifactory did.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, I'm so spoiled by functional storage mods that I have a problem playing modpacks without one.

I've actually been enjoying Refined Storage in ATM6 a lot as well.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Xun posted:

If you want to do things a bit more automatically you could walk your friends through setting up an instance in curse (or some other launcher) and then throw a zip file with all the mods in it at them so they don't need to manually find and click on all the mods.

Yep, that's what my little friends group MC server does. First weekend of the month is mod update day.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sophisticated backpacks is fantastic and definitely recommended if only for the auto eat food upgrade you can throw on one and stuff the back back with some food and NEVER have to worry about eating again. You can even specify how picky with the eating you want it to be.

God, yeah, it's so good. I found it in some modpack I played and immediately poked our mod maintainer and was like "WHY IS THIS NOT IN OUR SERVER YET".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

And this is why I like Mekanism, because I can just tell my digital miner to go and find me
pre:
*ores/netherite_scrap*
and hit 32 radius zones until I have what I'm after. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Echophonic posted:

That is exactly how it works. Crush relevant ingot into powder, throw it in a brewing stand.

Yep, that's from Potions Master: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods/potionsmaster

It also works with Apotheosis's potion charms, so you can smash three together into an item that's just passive potion effect. Really handy if you want to manually dig.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

StealthArcher posted:

The amount of packs that throw hilarious passive aggressive tantrums at the fact they want mekanism in their pack, but that the digiminer exists is hilarious, also the digiminer is the best thing.

I would react with shock that people are mad about the digiminer, but nah, that tracks. God forbid getting to like the midway point of the mod lets you semi-automate tedium. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

cool, thanks! does potions master work on ancient debris? that's pretty much the only one I have trouble finding a lot of, even diamonds aren't THAT much of a problem.

Yeah, it has a potion of Netheritesight, made from one piece of debris.