Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Hey I got an email! Oh, it's junk. Unsubscribe from list... I have to sign in to unsubscribe? But I don't remember ever signing up in the first place... screw it, I'll deal with this some other time. Hey I got an email...

--

Oh no, terrorists kidnapped my grandchild and are demanding iTunes gift cards! Those louts, I bet they'll spend it all on devil music!

--

That's it, I'm giving this "no-reply" person a piece of my mind!!! Dear... sir... or... ma'am...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
*checks email*

Khanstant
dammit i was finally about to watch butts....

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I have never gotten a death threat via email so it is still the undisputed champ of digital communication to me :cabot:

Khanstant

BoldFrankensteinMir

Future e-mail archeologists select my data for a minor exhibit. 75 straight months of bank statements in an inbox, not one ever opened, how curious.

Sig by Heather Papps

mailorder bees

FLUFFERNUTTER
*homestar voice*
eeeemaiw

thanks Manifisto!

Khanstant

mailorder bees! posted:

*homestar voice*
eeeemaiw

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

*homsar voiiiiice*
Yeeeegsaw

teen phone cutie

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
has anyone used Hey email? they claimed to have “fixed” email for good

BoldFrankensteinMir

Grump posted:

has anyone used Hey email? they claimed to have “fixed” email for good

"Fixed" as in like Bob Barker "fixing" stray cats and dogs, right?

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

"Fixed" as in like Bob Barker "fixing" stray cats and dogs, right?

Cut off he balls, of email

Khanstant
they should go back in time and re-invent email but this time we need an e-stamp and everyone can make their own e-stamps, you just make sure to attach any cool image file and if the receiver wants they can cut out your e-stamp pic and store it in their photoalbums

BoldFrankensteinMir

Khanstant posted:

they should go back in time and re-invent email but this time we need an e-stamp and everyone can make their own e-stamps, you just make sure to attach any cool image file and if the receiver wants they can cut out your e-stamp pic and store it in their photoalbums

And proceeds from E-stamps go to Wikipedia and Archive.org! I love imagining alternate universe internets where things like section 230 or COPPA never happened, or ARPA thought ahead and built privacy protections in at the ground floor.

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

this made me lol gonna copy/paste into an email and send it to anyone i've ever met

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

cruft

THIS POST IS FOR OLDSTERS ONLY!

Remember, before you had email, when you had regular mail, and you were like "electronic mail, you say?"

And then like 3 months in you were all "wow this is so great, I look forward to reading my electronic mail *way* more than I look forward to reading my 'snail' mail!"

And then there was a usenet post about a green card lottery.

And now you're like "bill, bill, junk, bill, junk, ad, ad, ad, list I can't get off, ad ad, bill, junk".

It's, like, maybe it's just the nature of human socialization that when the group gets too large it loses significance and becomes an obligation devoid of personal meaning or value?

Therefore, you should delete your Facebook account.

HTH, HAND

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

cruft posted:

THIS POST IS FOR OLDSTERS ONLY!
:dadjoke::hf::corsair:

cruft posted:

Remember, before you had email, when you had regular mail, and you were like "electronic mail, you say?"

And then like 3 months in you were all "wow this is so great, I look forward to reading my electronic mail *way* more than I look forward to reading my 'snail' mail!"
Im with you so far.

cruft posted:

And then there was a usenet post about a green card lottery.
Now you lost me, at the time i was only concerned with yellow or the dreaded red cards.

cruft posted:

And now you're like "bill, bill, junk, bill, junk, ad, ad, ad, list I can't get off, ad ad, bill, junk".

It's, like, maybe it's just the nature of human socialization that when the group gets too large it loses significance and becomes an obligation devoid of personal meaning or value?

Therefore, you should delete your Facebook account.

HTH, HAND

Didn't get you point but I completely agree about Facebook. You are wise and i like you.

cruft

By popular demand posted:

:dadjoke::hf::corsair:

Now you lost me, at the time i was only concerned with yellow or the dreaded red cards.

HELLO FELLOW OLDSTER. You will notice I am bottom-posting, for I too am old.

Canter and Siegel invented the notion of "spam" back in 1994, posting to dozens, maybe hundreds, of usenet groups about a "green card lottery". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Canter_and_Martha_Siegel

Before then, nobody had ever considered sending unsolicited commercial mail electronically.
It was just a matter of time before someone realized how much cheaper it would be than postal mail: Canter and Siegel did it first.

As soon as there was more junk than content on usenet, people found other ways to talk about things with a better signal:noise ratio. Things like the Something Awful forums, which at one time were the biggest forums on the Internet.

If you'd like, I can go on about how Paul Graham saved email in 2002.

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Thankfully I'm no longer interested in ⚽ and so I'd be delighted to learn more history.

cruft

Thankfully I'm no longer interested in ⚽ and so I'd be delighted to learn more history.

Okay!

Paul Graham was this crazy LISP hacker who started Yahoo Storefront or something.
He was like "hey, I bet people might like to buy stuff with computers!"
This wound up being a good guess, and he made a lot of money.

One day, he was all "I wonder if my spam tends to have words that my non-spam doesn't".

Words Paul Graham's Spam Had

• Nigerian
  • $10,000

Words Paul Graham's Non-Spam Had

• Massachusetts
  • $5

So he had a conference where he explained to a bunch of nerds some weird and misnamed math that was like super-early AI. It works like this:

• Get a collection of stuff you know is spam
  • Get a collection of stuff you know isn't spam
  • Count words in both
  • Use that as a probability for whether a word's presence means a message is spam
  • Take your new email that you haven't seen before, and add up all the probabilities, the divide by the number of words
  • Now you have a probability for whether the whole message is spam!

This worked amazingly well!

There are hundreds of other math tricks in use now, but basically this is why Gmail only shows you a couple spams per month, even though only 5% of email in 2002 (18 years ago!) was not spam.

Your pal,

cruft

PS: I dislike BBcode.

cruft

cruft posted:

There are hundreds of other math tricks in use now, but basically this is why Gmail only shows you a couple spams per month, even though only 5% of email in 2002 (18 years ago!) was not spam.

PPS: this is also why it's important for you to mark spam in your email, instead of just deleting it. The spam-detecting robot needs to be able to learn from any mistakes it made, and you're the teacher!

Your pal,

cruft

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Only 5%? That explains why my 2002 email was so popular while I was not.

I don't care for any coding language so im still in your corner buddy.

cruft

Only 5%? That explains why my 2002 email was so popular while I was not.

I don't care for any coding language so im still in your corner buddy.

None of us do, but everyone can be persuaded to do what you want if they are offered a large enough amount of money.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Cruft as a fellow old I appreciate this history lesson on email and SPAM.

Now I have to go push pixels around a page and make my boss happy because the pixels are in a slightly different configuration that he thinks will get us more money (it will not it is bad design and he doesn't even read Monteiro).

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

None of us do, but everyone can be persuaded to do what you want if they are offered a large enough amount of money.

loving Python 3.

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

Now I have to go push pixels around a page and make my boss happy because the pixels are in a slightly different configuration that he thinks will get us more money (it will not it is bad design and he doesn't even read Monteiro).

Have you ever stopped to consider that you're being paid to press buttons in a very specific order?

That is probably 100% of your job.

Your totally sober pal (seriously, we do drug testing),

cruft

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It was no big surprise to me just how many professional cooks I met had ditched a career in code wrangling.
Join us, the pay ain't great but you can actually feel like you're accomplishing something!

e:And you can open a place of your own and go bankrupt the fun way!

cruft

It was no big surprise to me just how many professional cooks I met had ditched a career in code wrangling.
Join us, the pay ain't great but you can actually feel like you're accomplishing something!

I just hired a guy whose parents run a restaurant. I don't think I could muster that sort of commitment, but I totally respect people who do, which is why I hardly ever give bad restaurant reviews.

e: also, I've got to be honest, I am way too big a nerd to be doing anything other than my current job.

BoldFrankensteinMir

This has been a fascinating insight on multiple levels. However I refuse to curate my in-box in any way, screw your "helpful" filters!

Sig by Heather Papps

cruft

This has been a fascinating insight on multiple levels. However I refuse to curate my in-box in any way, screw your "helpful" filters!

You strike me as the sort of individual who would like to hear about my penis pills!
You strike me as the sort of individual who would like to hear about my penis pills!

They're pills, see... but they're penis shaped.

BoldFrankensteinMir

cruft posted:

They're pills, see... but they're penis shaped.

*scrolls past block of entries, requiring no additional effort
*experiences no downsides to decision to not filter in-box

Sig by Heather Papps

cruft

*scrolls past block of entries, requiring no additional effort
*experiences no downsides to decision to not filter in-box

So how many can I put you down for? They come in packages of 100.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Have you ever stopped to consider that you're being paid to press buttons in a very specific order?

That is probably 100% of your job.

Your totally sober pal (seriously, we do drug testing),

cruft

If they drug test me I hope it's an open notes oral exam because buddy I have a lot to say about drugs, at this job

I got this job as a part time administrative assistant and a year and change later I'm a CTO please help me I cannot escape

BoldFrankensteinMir

Well I'm convinced. Consider me sold on the idea of filters, I never used the "ignored users" list before...

Sig by Heather Papps

cruft

Kief Richards posted:

I got this job as a part time administrative assistant and a year and change later I'm a CTO please help me I cannot escape

Omitted by Kief Richards is that the company has 28,000 employees.

It's okay, Kief Richards, we're friends here and we're happy you rocketed to the top!

Well I'm convinced. Consider me sold on the idea of filters, I never used the "ignored users" list before...

:coffeepal:

BoldFrankensteinMir

Neat, it works!

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Omitted by Kief Richards is that the company has 28,000 employees.

It's okay, Kief Richards, we're friends here and we're happy you rocketed to the top!

Lmfao it's five people including me kill me

By popular demand

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

drat. At this point you may wish to scam all your co-workers, grow a moustache and become Chef Felipe. You can have that identity for free.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Kief Richards posted:

Lmfao it's five people including me kill me

Yes but are you dead from the liquor present yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

it's like uber, but for email

ty manifisto