Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
when i was growing up sega genesis was 16 bits which was 2x better than nintendo (8 bit) and the graphics/sound were 2x better/ windows 95 was also 32 bit and could have very good games like sim city 2000

now computer have been 64 bit for years but my question is: when are we getting 128 bit computers and will graphics be 2x better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my dad works for amd and has a 128 bit computer. its fast

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they'll have to make a 65 bit computer first dummy.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

get a dual 64 bit cpu system, 64 + 64 = 128. duh.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

:hmmyes:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
transmeta efficeon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna know how graphics cards had DDR5 ram and my computer still only had DDR3

like how did they skip the 4

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they didnt. its much easier to run higher variations of ram when you're charging 5x as much for it and it's soldered on instead of having to connectorize it

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
69 bit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nice

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dreamcast was 128 bit

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I don’t gently caress with bits anymore, only qubits.

also cubits. very big in the uncertain ark community

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

gddr is just ddr the g lets you know that everything else that follows is bullshit, like the g in Great Britain

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
will 128-bit computers make virtual waifus real? asking for all of us

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

technically current arm/x86 chips could be considered 48 bit (52 bit physical for x86-64), because the top bits aren’t used. this turns out to be useful for ROP mitigations like pointer authentication.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bill jates said when we reach 640kilobytes that’ll be enough address space for anybody

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
lol if you’ve never seen someone try to sell a optiplex shitbox core 2 duo computer as “4.8GHz” on craigslist

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

bill jates said when we reach 640kilobytes that’ll be enough address space for anybody

only 100 more to go!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i mean 10

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

i have one of these and it just so happens to run at 420MHz

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
did you know that because of zero indexing the highest bit your so called 69 bit computer can use is actually bit 68????

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

128 bit computers are too much, we need to take a baby step in to 96-bit first

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

did you know the NES is actually 48-bit

8-bit cpu + 8-bit ram + 8-bit program rom + 8-bit character rom + 8-bit sound + 8-bit graphics

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sweevo posted:

did you know the NES is actually 48-bit

8-bit cpu + 8-bit ram + 8-bit program rom + 8-bit character rom + 8-bit sound + 8-bit graphics

+ 2 bit player

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

carry on then posted:

+ 2 bit player

don't sign you're poasts!

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i found my old netbook and i was going to give it to my son, but it's a 32 bit system. what OS should I install, op?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
32-bit? lmao why do you hate your kid so much

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

polyester concept posted:

i found my old netbook and i was going to give it to my son, but it's a 32 bit system. what OS should I install, op?

the finest os ever created - windows 2000

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

calling CPS now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

gentoo

you obviously hate them, let them know it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

whoa

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i gave a talk at a uni this year about aws amd some innocent 21 year old asked me why ipv4 is still prevalent when ipv6 was still a thing

i started yammering on about routing, firewalls, security models etc all kinda relying on subnetting to segregate and how NAT lets an internet avoid address exhaustion and how changing all this old poo poo is a risk and pita and lots of work

his look of disgust and complete disinterest in my response because bigger number = better than and because he smugly knew something other people didn’t told me has a bright future as a computer toucher

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbf i am also disgusted and disinterested in the post version of this speech, and it is presumably way shorter than whatever you attacked that kid with.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gentle Autist posted:

i started yammering on about routing, firewalls, security models etc all kinda relying on subnetting to segregate and how NAT lets an internet avoid address exhaustion and how changing all this old poo poo is a risk and pita and lots of work

granted not everything needs a public address, but we are legitimately out of v4 addresses and layering nat just leads to pain

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

just let the digits go up to 999.999.999.999

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that's the intel model that flips bits without needing to rowhammer

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Sweevo posted:

just let the digits go up to 999.999.999.999

fifth quad

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
its all about using less bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fewer bits, more bytes