Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

half cocaine posted:

Aqib Talib is awesome as he is right now as an announcer.

They need to find a way to jettison Griese and get Talib on Monday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

fsif posted:

They need to find a way to jettison Griese and get Talib on Monday night.

10000000%

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Ps gently caress Troy Aikman

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

half cocaine posted:

Aqib Talib is awesome as he is right now as an announcer.

QBs are extremely overrated as announcers and DBs are extremely underrated

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

D-LINK posted:

Heir to Aikman and Bradshaw
I had one too many edibles before one of the Bucs playoff games and had to turn the volume down because hearing Aikman’s voice made me feel like I was getting brain damage by proxy. I’m usually not bothered by bad announcers since the Bucs until recently always got stuck with the Z team anyway, but it was just so bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Pat Summerall is the worst announcer I’ve ever heard and I’ve watched a fair amount of classic games with him. He also did the first Pats Super Bowl win. He never shows emotion it’s miserable.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Put Talib and Steve Smith Snr in the booth.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Pat Summerall is the worst announcer I’ve ever heard and I’ve watched a fair amount of classic games with him. He also did the first Pats Super Bowl win. He never shows emotion it’s miserable.

What the hell is this

Summerall was the perfect guy to put with Madden because he would keep things level. Madden was the guy you wanted to hear get excited, and Pat was there to counter him.

I think it's kind of why Nantz and Romo work so well. Nanztz is pretty boring, but he's great at leading Romo along and knowing when to let Romo do his thing.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 30, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nantz actually gets excited.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

BlindSite posted:

Russell Wilson will for sure be the next awful announcer when he retires.

As a Seahawks fan and thus a Russell Wilson fan... god please no.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

BlindSite posted:

Put Talib and Steve Smith Snr in the booth.

Unstoppable force meets immovable object. gently caress I would pay money to watch this. But tell Steve Smith he can say whatever the gently caress he wants.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

half cocaine posted:

Unstoppable force meets immovable object. gently caress I would pay money to watch this. But tell Steve Smith he can say whatever the gently caress he wants.

Right? I'd also pay real money for a feed of former players drinking beers just poo poo talking the whole time watching.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

half cocaine posted:

I’d pay 15 bucks a month or so for whichever network gives me Steve Smith commenting every game with a rotating cast of guys he absolutely loving hates.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Not enough Joe Buck hate itt.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Summerall got started when technology necessitated very slow, deliberate announcing. If you spoke too fast or got excited or loud it would just overwhelm the audio equipment and you'd cut out. Keith Jackson did the same thing, but he was able to pull it off.

As technology improved Summerall just kept doing the same thing that had gotten him there, so he just sounded boring as poo poo. It worked for a while when he was paired with Madden, but yeah by the time we all started watching football he sounded old and tired. Then of course for the final five years of his career he was showing signs of dementia and could barely talk.

The one who REALLY fell apart was Verne Lundquist and he could be dead any day now. I remember when he finally retired they did a wide shot of him in the booth with like gary danielson or someone and he just looked horrible. Well over three hundred pounds, just wearing a pair of shorts with his untucked shirt and jacket, ankles swelling over his diabetic shoes.

MrLogan posted:

He's doing a throwback to that old style. Since so many loving boomers grew up on that kind of announcing they believe that all sports announcing needs to be stern, fatherly, and without any emotion. Joe Buck is meant to appeal to older people so he just gives them what they want, I guess.

Jim Nantz deserves some credit with changing his style, I think. So many of those old poo poo boomers would have bitched about being upstaged by Tony Romo in the booth, but Jim has kinda rolled with it.

Edit: confused al Michaels and Jim nantz

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 30, 2021

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FizFashizzle posted:

Jim Nantz deserves some credit with changing his style, I think. He also had one of the most famous "excited announcer" moments with the miracle on ice. Like imagine joe buck, for example, calling that moment. So many of those old poo poo boomers would have bitched about being upstage by Tony Romo in the booth, but Jim has kinda rolled with it.

:confused: Miracle on Ice was Al Michaels.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

MrLogan posted:

For the first decade of his career he was legit bad and only seemed to care about baseball. But he’s been a lot better for some years now it’s just that old reputation is stuck on him.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Booger doesn't get to do any games. Sometimes good things happen.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Summerall got started when technology necessitated very slow, deliberate announcing. If you spoke too fast or got excited or loud it would just overwhelm the audio equipment and you'd cut out. Keith Jackson did the same thing, but he was able to pull it off.

As technology improved Summerall just kept doing the same thing that had gotten him there, so he just sounded boring as poo poo. It worked for a while when he was paired with Madden, but yeah by the time we all started watching football he sounded old and tired. Then of course for the final five years of his career he was showing signs of dementia and could barely talk.

Yeah I figured there was a reason behind the method but by the 90s it just didn’t fit anymore.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Let Mina Kimes do colour commentary.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Let Mina do draft analysis.
https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1376582410775588864

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fartknocker posted:

:confused: Miracle on Ice was Al Michaels.

Yeah poo poo. Sorry. Brain fart.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

For the first decade of his career he was legit bad and only seemed to care about baseball. But he’s been a lot better for some years now it’s just that old reputation is stuck on him.

Joe Buck’s arc is kinda interesting for football in retrospect.

He was basically the #3 guy when Fox got the NFL, with Madden/Summerall being the top pair and Dick Stockton/Matt Millen being the second group early on. For those who don’t remember, Millen was actually a good color guy in those years. In those early years, Buck was basically a nonentity. After Summerall retired following the 2001 season, Madden went to ABC to pair with Al Michaels on MNF, and Millen went to the Lions to destroy them and his legacy, Buck vaulted up to the top spot with Aikman and at the time Cris Collinsworth in a three man booth for a few years. Supposedly Collinsworth didn’t get along too well with them, and Buck fully leaned into the deadpan serious schtick that everyone quickly grew to hate. That lasted for about a decade, until he nearly died from a bad reaction to anesthesia while getting hair plugs that also hosed up his voice for part of a season.

After that, he very consciously lightened up, got remarried to Michelle Beisner, and generally seems happier. Still has a usually simple delivery on stuff, but now often is making some dry jokes during games and will show emotion on big plays. There’s a reason you almost never hear his call of the Tyree helmet catch from Super Bowl XLII, it’s entirely bland :geno: but his call of Diggs catch in the Minneapolis Miracle is played almost as much as the Vikings radio guys. His bigger issue is Aikman is generally a bore that doesn’t make sense half the time and hasn’t been good in a while.

The easy comparison is the aforementioned Jim Nantz, who was also getting criticized a lot during his last few years with Phil Simms, but the minute he got paired with Tony Romo, a lot of that went away. A bad color commentator can easily drag down a good play-by-play guy just as much as the other way around.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I love the old story about a drunk Buck at bars slurring at random women that he’d had a vasectomy.

Phil Simms was so bad. Them kicking him back to the studio makes me think he has health problems too and just can’t make it through a full game. He would almost be nonsensical by the fourth quarter. Like he wouldn’t be able to pronounce Roethlisberger anymore.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FizFashizzle posted:

I love the old story about a drunk Buck at bars slurring at random women that he’d had a vasectomy.

Phil Simms was so bad. Them kicking him back to the studio makes me think he has health problems too and just can’t make it through a full game. He would almost be nonsensical by the fourth quarter. Like he wouldn’t be able to pronounce Roethlisberger anymore.

Taking repeated blows to the head from age 9-39 is going to cause you to have brain malfunctions.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

:chloe:

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1376912587611340808?s=20

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://youtu.be/Dqp--1T44SE

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
It drives me crazy how much Troy Aikman stammers but then I realized it was probably due to CTE and it made me feel sad.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I hope he gets it together

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ort posted:

It drives me crazy how much Troy Aikman stammers but then I realized it was probably due to CTE and it made me feel sad.

The scary part is this doesn't really look like a nasty hit. There was no helmet to helmet. People get hit like this all game long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7DcDIoEz2o

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ort posted:

On the other hand he's an rear end in a top hat IRL so eh

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Just hire Hank Azaria to do Brockmire and give him SNF

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Dan Stevens and Peter O’Keefe are probably available.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fartknocker posted:

Dan Stevens and Peter O’Keefe are probably available.

You can't coach that.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Excellent ST player, AWFUL CB.

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1376925463722012682?s=20

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Definitely a ST signing. Good move

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I don't ever recall hearing a positive thing ever said about him on these forums.

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1376978568949866501?s=20

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

wandler20 posted:

I don't ever recall hearing a positive thing ever said about him on these forums.

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1376978568949866501?s=20

He isn't very good but always seems like he is trying hard and is very emotive on the field between plays. I hope he does well.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
He went from depressingly terrible last year to just bad. He's an OK run blocker. As a third or 4th option you can do worse.

Other than his lovely opinions on vaccines and covid, which included him threatening our center on social media by the way, The only real reason he was so unpopular in Cincinnati was because the coaches insisted on starting him no matter what and paid him like a top 10 tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

What does he think about the flatness of the earth?