Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
hey, don't worry. Joe Biden also will not accomplish or attempt or pretend to attempt any of the things he could do that would not require congressional approval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only matters of any significance that biden will get done will be the things the republicans permit him to do, all while they continue to excoriate him in every available medium. this is what dems call bipartisanship.

the majority doesn't matter.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tiberion02 posted:

May as well rename this thread "Two Joes, One Cup" for all the psychic horror Biden and Manchin will inflict on every single CSPAM poster.

Hell yeav im looking forward to it.

Cspam posters muttering back bench corporatist Dem monster names in the night. "C*ons. C*ons. C*ons."

I paid attn to the machinations that resulted in the loving ACA btw 2009 amd 2010. And I still shoot up in the middle of the night, and scream "BAUCUS!!!".

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

lmfao, sure bro

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Hahahahahahaha Joe Biden is gonna kill millions of Americans lmfao hahahahah

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/samstein/status...genumber%3D7621

I got 2000 ways they could avoid getting their asses kicked

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/...genumber%3D7653

They better build a bridge into my bank account

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Shageletic posted:

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/...genumber%3D7653

They better build a bridge into my bank account
SAY IT WITH ME

TAX 👏 ADVANTAGED 👏 SAVINGS 👏 ACCOUNTS 👏

Griz
May 21, 2001

Shageletic posted:

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/sta...genumber%3D7503

I mean I'm ok with this? get me my loving money

they only get to use reconciliation once a year so they're gonna save it for the bill that brings back the obamacare individual mandate penalty and makes it worse

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidMizner/sta...genumber%3D7781

WHAT. THE FUCLK

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I got 2000 ways they could avoid getting their asses kicked

looks like they could only remember 1400 hmbol

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
GIMME MY $1,400 JOE oh thank u

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How are u posted:

GIMME MY $1,400 JOE oh thank u

stick to your pod boys since you clearly have the mind of a child

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
just posting to say that I hate austerity politics I hate decorum and I hate the Dems how can you possibly try to reach across the aisle to the people who supported zip tie-ing you up and holding you hostage.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Bust Rodd posted:

just posting to say that I hate austerity politics I hate decorum and I hate the Dems how can you possibly try to reach across the aisle to the people who supported zip tie-ing you up and holding you hostage.

You can't be too tough on these people who tried to murder you on TV or else they'll get REALLY mad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

David Dayen on Biden's bill:

I wanted to post everything in the bill so there’s a sense of the comprehensive effort here. It’s a policy smorgasbord, and nearly all of it is important and well-rendered and would help a great many people. I’d definitely do some things differently—the Child Tax Credit comes to mind—but in general this is solid work.

The problem is that there’s no way a single Republican would ever sign onto this. It nears the scope of the Heroes Act (if you add the $1.9 trillion to the $900 billion passed in December, it’s just about the size of the Heroes Act), which was rejected out of hand by Republicans for six months. And yet the Biden team wants this to go through regular order, meaning it would require 10 Republican Senators to sign on.

That’s not going to happen. It doesn’t have to happen; with the exception of the minimum wage, everything in this bill can be passed through budget reconciliation on a majority vote. I’m not certain every Democratic Senator would vote for this, however. And by adding Brown-Bennet, you invite all of those Senators, any one of whom can derail the bill, to add their own pet projects. It sets up to be messy and extended. And unemployment benefits expire in March, and the vaccine and testing money is needed like today.

My sources tell me that Biden’s team is well aware of the urgency. But I fear they’re setting up a bad process that denies quick, trust-building action.

To that point, a messaging problem has emerged. Since Donald Trump intervened with the December bill and said the direct payments were too low, the concept on offer has always been to increase those $600 checks to $2,000, a difference of $1,400. That’s what the bill that AOC wrote up an hour after Trump’s video said. That’s what the CASH Act, passed in the House after Trump signed the December bill, said. That’s what Senators like Bernie Sanders fought for in the last week of 2020. It was always topping up to $2,000. That’s reflected here.

The allure of round numbers led to the Georgia Senators and Biden himself wrongly saying, approximately “If you elect them, you’ll get a $2,000 check.” But you won’t, you’ll get $1,400 on top of a prior $600. So the left has jumped all over this to say that Biden lied or is shortchanging people or whatever. He really isn’t; the deal was always a top-up. But it really wouldn’t be that hard to convert this to a $2,000 check. It would cost roughly $200 billion to make that change, and I can’t see anyone willing to accept $1.9 trillion balking at $2.1 trillion. (I also think any normal person not on Twitter will be thrilled to get $1,400 and won’t hold a grievance.)

But this is all the more reason to split out what you can get Republican votes for as a standalone and get an early victory. The base of the party lacks trust in Biden, and some are ready to pounce at any slight. Fulfilling this one high-profile promise—which practically every Senator says can get 60 votes—would put proof to the ambition expressed in this bill. And it would get that done quickly, instead of relying a lingering, lumbering package that raises doubts in the public mind about Biden’s seriousness.

loving Biden. Money. Get Me. 2000 Dollars!!! gently caress

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shageletic posted:

I wanted to post everything in the bill so there’s a sense of the comprehensive effort here. It’s a policy smorgasbord, and nearly all of it is important and well-rendered and would help a great many people. I’d definitely do some things differently—the Child Tax Credit comes to mind—but in general this is solid work.

The problem is that there’s no way a single Republican would ever sign onto this. It nears the scope of the Heroes Act (if you add the $1.9 trillion to the $900 billion passed in December, it’s just about the size of the Heroes Act), which was rejected out of hand by Republicans for six months. And yet the Biden team wants this to go through regular order, meaning it would require 10 Republican Senators to sign on.

That’s not going to happen. It doesn’t have to happen; with the exception of the minimum wage, everything in this bill can be passed through budget reconciliation on a majority vote. I’m not certain every Democratic Senator would vote for this, however. And by adding Brown-Bennet, you invite all of those Senators, any one of whom can derail the bill, to add their own pet projects. It sets up to be messy and extended. And unemployment benefits expire in March, and the vaccine and testing money is needed like today.

My sources tell me that Biden’s team is well aware of the urgency. But I fear they’re setting up a bad process that denies quick, trust-building action.

To that point, a messaging problem has emerged. Since Donald Trump intervened with the December bill and said the direct payments were too low, the concept on offer has always been to increase those $600 checks to $2,000, a difference of $1,400. That’s what the bill that AOC wrote up an hour after Trump’s video said. That’s what the CASH Act, passed in the House after Trump signed the December bill, said. That’s what Senators like Bernie Sanders fought for in the last week of 2020. It was always topping up to $2,000. That’s reflected here.

The allure of round numbers led to the Georgia Senators and Biden himself wrongly saying, approximately “If you elect them, you’ll get a $2,000 check.” But you won’t, you’ll get $1,400 on top of a prior $600. So the left has jumped all over this to say that Biden lied or is shortchanging people or whatever. He really isn’t; the deal was always a top-up. But it really wouldn’t be that hard to convert this to a $2,000 check. It would cost roughly $200 billion to make that change, and I can’t see anyone willing to accept $1.9 trillion balking at $2.1 trillion. (I also think any normal person not on Twitter will be thrilled to get $1,400 and won’t hold a grievance.)

But this is all the more reason to split out what you can get Republican votes for as a standalone and get an early victory. The base of the party lacks trust in Biden, and some are ready to pounce at any slight. Fulfilling this one high-profile promise—which practically every Senator says can get 60 votes—would put proof to the ambition expressed in this bill. And it would get that done quickly, instead of relying a lingering, lumbering package that raises doubts in the public mind about Biden’s seriousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47anX3jtghY

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

It's what they are paid to do and they are sick freaks who get off on it anyway

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/sta...genumber%3D7503

I mean I'm ok with this? get me my loving money

Biden wants to work in a bipartisan manner with the party that refuses to acknowledge his election as being legitimate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The deal was not 'always a top up'. It was intended to be a top up but they hosed up and promised a full $2,000 and so it was promised as a full amount, not a top up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Thoguh posted:

The deal was not 'always a top up'. It was intended to be a top up but they hosed up and promised a full $2,000 and so it was promised as a full amount, not a top up.

exactly

https://twitter.com/brandyljensen/status/1350131132130598914?s=21

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Biden... Biden never changes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

me want $2000 now

not $600 now and $1400 later
not $1400 now and $600 later
not $1000 now and $1000 later

$2000. upfront. now.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Joe hasn’t even been inaugurated and they’re just off a violent insurrection by the other side AND they’re trying to give people money and somehow they still manage to gently caress American politics’ easiest layup and put themselves on the back foot and make people resent them

holy poo poo the Democrats are so loving bad it’s breathtaking

if you’re a dem sycophant (hey, How are u?) what is going through your mind right now? this is day -5 lmao

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I don’t think they’re trying to gently caress up because I don’t think humans can be this good at something

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

*loweres glasses*

Now this...I can get into

https://mobile.twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1350606785703501824

https://mobile.twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1348758238515359747

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

One guy came to my post office and literally begged me on his knees for the $600 check. People are loving dying out there.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao this is the same woman that wants the FBI to infiltrate the MAGA chuds and endorsed Warren, she doesn’t give a poo poo, you’ll get $1400 and she’ll get to make epic tweets

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

lmao this is the same woman that wants the FBI to infiltrate the MAGA chuds and endorsed Warren, she doesn’t give a poo poo, you’ll get $1400 and she’ll get to make epic tweets

lol at the thought of us getting $1400, or even $200

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Biden is going to die in office of old age lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fluoride Jones posted:

Biden is going to die in office of old age lol

i hope not. seeing a 80 y/o corpse wheeled out will rule

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Kamala Harris will be the first woman President and she won’t have gotten a single vote, lmao to the moon

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

Kamala Harris will be the first woman President and she won’t have gotten a single vote, lmao to the moon

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

spoiler: they did not, ultimately, regret it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

One guy came to my post office and literally begged me on his knees for the $600 check. People are loving dying out there.

please enjoy the 5 day joe biden jamboree

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Yinlock posted:

please enjoy the 5 day joe biden jamboree

It's just mind-blowing that we have, politically, entirely adopted the mentality that COVID isn't real, and if it is real, it is only happening to poor people far away (like 12 blocks away in the projects of DC). Like after all the hemming and hawing about Trump rallies Biden is still throwing a weeklong super-spreader because what we all need right now is apparently a big party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol the Republicans really being conciliatory under Biden already

https://mobile.twitter.com/SylvanLane/status/1351549962933383170

https://mobile.twitter.com/SylvanLane/status/1351572720014815232

First time as tragedy, second time as farce