Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

So how exactly does the draft work in terms of the teams without keepers? I didn't quite follow. We're basically just picks 11+ in the first round (that's fine i just want to be sure i understood)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I’ll make a pick in a minute when i figure out how this works on my phone

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I mean the current system is basically the same as if we had picks 11+, then it snaked and we started round 2, so it seems pretty normal. The round names are just screwy

Also I was second in the first round, i would say it was a little off if i got first in both even though it's not much of a difference

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wait what happened? Did we start over? Why do I have Damian lillard

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DeimosRising posted:

Wait what happened? Did we start over? Why do I have Damian lillard

Ok I see what we did, basically just gave the three new teams “keepers” and the first picks, that’s fine but I took harden and shadowfax took lillard i think, and boromir took Tatum? Or did I just totally miss something

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

Yeah...with another on deck who can still change their mind.

It's something that is either going to make all of us look stupid for passing on him (since we all did) or smart if he's healthy this year. I wasn't going to let him go by another round.

I do. That solid ~50 every night was very useful last year.

The thing with you injury prone guys on stacked teams is that you know they’re going to sit a lot. Even if they don’t suffer any major boo boos, Davis and Irving are going to play 65 or so games between minor scrapes and rest

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Maestro posted:

Yea Cunningham, that’s a spicy one!

Thanks Rick. On the other hand I genuinely didn’t realize I was up when you sent me the nudge email, so I do have to be better about tracking it. Seems like it’s moving a lot faster this time around but also my job situation could not be more different than it was during the last one

I appreciate people who have the guts to bet on first and second year guys like Cade and Edwards. I can never do it, I’m too risk averse

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I almost took Simmons but I’m legit afraid he’s going to sit out a portion of the season at this point

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

rivetz posted:

That Simmons pick will probably end up being the steal of the draft, even if he misses a few games out of the gate. Does anyone really think he's not going to put up first-round-ish numbers wherever he lands

Well his fantasy points per game last season weren’t anywhere near first round in this format but yeah he’s comfortably the best last year player on the board now. But those missing games could end up being last year of Harden in Houston level poo poo, where he sits on and off or nakedly half asses until they find a deal they can stomach, then he has to adjust to a new team mid season. It’s a real risk, not least because he’s not a Harden type who can just step in and do his thing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sorry it’s my kid’s birthday and I had to get drunk enough to bite the bullet on Olynyk

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

He was really good in Houston and probably will be in detroit too but gently caress

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ugh caris levert already hurt. My best laid schemes!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm really pleased to get john wall so late. yeah he sucks rear end irl, and he isn't going to play for an indeterminate amount of time, but his terrible season last year was apparently good for some serious points in this format. If he decides to play or they get him a trade, he'll be a lot more valuable than anyone else at this point.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I guess I’m not sure I understand what the upside is on divisions? Seems like all the problems we have are the same just from having an odd number of teams

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Red Rox posted:

I say we skip divisions and the playoffs can have 12 teams and the team that misses out gets a second keeper or something.

Keep as much of your awful team as you want, loser!

Wait does everyone go to the playoffs as it stands? That’s fine I just didn’t realize

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dutchy posted:

Last year everyone made the playoffs but I'm not sure if that's something we were committed to. I brought up wanting to shrink the playoff field but kinda dropped it because I felt silly advocating for such a fundamental change halfway thru the season.

FWIW I would still like to trim it. Maybe like 7 teams with the #1 seed getting a bye or something?

That sounds like a pretty good system.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

If you haven't voted in the poll, please do so it's not sitting as it currently is at 4-4 which is kind of the most inconclusive result possible.

https://strawpoll.com/v5okf1rf2/r

That depends on what you mean. Can we do double elimination? No it doesn't offer it.

The 10 person playoff format had a defacto losers playoff though, because teams 1-6 got a first round bye, so teams 7-10 had to play their way in.

A lot of fantasy clients let you set up a second bracket for the low seed teams that missed the real playoffs, just so they have something to do at the end of the season

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I just had a busy week and forgot Jrue was on my bench. Curses, sorry

Edit: Justin, not Jrue. I got confused because he is thus far the superior fantasy player this year (which will continue)

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 21, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I am very conflicted about all the points I got for that horrible harden game last night

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

We probably ought to have a lower transaction limit, the points system really incentivizes streaming which is annoying to have to do

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

creamcorn posted:

my brain is hosed up rn (can't get my adhd meds refilled and i'm sad), is there a way i can like automate having people play who are up or set stuff in advance rn? my current move has been waking up after games have already started.

i set it out a week in advance every monday or i'll forget too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I like this format. I like having any good thing my players do count, instead of rooting for like, rebounds specifically or whatever in a given game. It’s less deep in that there’s no real strategy but “pick the best guys” but who cares

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ghost Dog posted:

thats a wild way to do it, i just assumed all fantasy was like football where your dude just gets points for doing good things and the most points wins

is josh hart just a god in that format lol, random shithead guard getting like 7 rebounds a game

yeah usually in a mildly competitive league it's impossible to be good in every category, so you have to go in with a plan to like, dominate rebounds and blocks and fg% for example, so you take all the best bigs and then get guards who play weird, or you want threes and free throw percentage so you just "punt" on rebounds and take bigs who shoot instead of playing any defense. Basically you have to pick a team that is all or mostly good at the same stuff or you'll just be mediocre at everything. In theory this kind of strategizing would be fun but in reality i think it feels kind of like work, scouring the dregs of the league for good rebounding scrubs or whatever.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

It's definitely annoying. This is actually one thing that ESPN is better at, is that once the first game starts, all add/remove actions are considered to be on tomorrow's roster. Well except for the part where if a player is announced hurt two hours before an east coast evening game on a Sunday you can't get a player to replace them because there was a game at noon.

That latter bit is really unavoidable. Obviously also a big issue in football. Unless you forced teams to announce their roster, no takebacks, a day in advance (one weird trick gamblers would fucken love)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I have no idea why my roster reset today but it fucken sucks

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

If this happens PM me and if I'm around I'll fix it, I would from the thread but for some reason it falls to page 3 often in my bookmarks despite threads with no replies being ahead of it.

my team is doing really well this week anyway so i'll try not to be sore about 100+ points on the bench lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

Hahah, that does help.

argh, it did matter! curses

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

I know I’m not in this league but I’m playing fantasy basketball and this is the only thread it seems to be appropriate for

I took a big risk going after some high risk guys and it has absolutely blown up in my face. It’s a leave where it tallies double-doubles instead of turnovers so I decided to take the Fun Big Guys approach and picked up LeBron, Giannis, Zion and Ben Simmons and I absolutely shat myself during the first month. I got really lucky on some wire guys (picked up Will Barton and Jalen Brunson and now Bobby Portis is exploding) but every time I look at my totally full up 4 IL slots I just sigh

I don’t need advice or anything feel free to laugh at my dumb hubris

Dang lucky you have so many IR slots though

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kalensc posted:

For those wondering, it seems like you can shift players to IR without issue on the website, but the app may not provide the option initially. Perhaps I missed it though, since it's there for me now.

I figured that folks would want to re-obtain solid players that they recently had to cut due to lack of IR space. To avoid an issue where time zones and sleep schedules created an unfair advantage, I've picked a few of them up and submitted a 1-for-0 trade to the appropriate manager.

Clearly I should have had my coffee first, cause I could have simply used commish powers to put those injured players on rosters, rather than burn my full allotment of weekly player additions. :smith:

lol i was just looking over rosters and was like why the gently caress does kalensc have a dozen people on ir

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EmotionlessThug posted:

pro median gang checkin in

Yeah I like it even though I hosed up this week and left a ton of points on the bench

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

my team is a huge wreck but also i forgot mlk games start at noon or w/e

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan has a lot of very similarly good guys but i guess i'll take the easy out and pick Lamelo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kalensc posted:

Lol what is happening

Lamelo was taken by DeimosRising (Ho! Jim) with the 2nd selection

Guess I’m on some ignore lists :ohdear:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

It's extremely cool how you can set your roster but if a player comes off IR it just resets your roster to yesterdays.

I wasn't going to win anyway but yeesh.

yeah it completely hosed me this week because my kid got sick and i never checked back to realize none of my changes stuck after like tuesday. oops

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Having my top 3 picks out, one for the season, has not been extremely good for my team. That's what I believe, and i've thought about it a lot.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

faaaaarts i could not get the site to save my roster with the only player i have today playing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

So far less of a problem than you’d expect

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Red Rox posted:

Injuries can really gently caress you over in the fantasy playoffs - it's a really lame way to end the season. For example, this year in a Yahoo league I'm playing, I'm a very high seed but Steph is my star player and he's just gone out, probably until the playoffs. Last year the same thing happened with Kawhi.

I wonder if there's a way around that. Like say, instead of getting 0 points you get their average points for this current season. So you wouldn't get any massive 140 point games, but you'd still get something. There would have to be some rules about how many games they'd played for you or something.

Just in the playoffs? definitely makes injury prone players more valuable. the trouble with fantasy bball playoffs is lots of teams will rest guys at the end of the year if they're not worried about seeding (or are eliminated etc). So in the same way that most leagues don't play the final week of the football season, you have to figure out a spot to call it but it's not as clear cut. In what you're suggesting, would you designate a "ghost" player? or would it be anyone who's ir eligible? pretty wild idea

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cart Mountain posted:

i live in Pittsburgh where absolutely nobody gives a poo poo about professional basketball

there are dozens of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I could not name 5 current baseball players with a gun to my head but y'all have fun