Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DeathSandwich posted:

I need to go back and look but I believe yes, quick character gen rules just give you a one and done list of starting gear and all you need to pick is cosmetics.

Starting gear list and 500 eb to spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mellonbread posted:

Does the new edition have starting gear/cyberware suggestions, or some other quick build rules? Something like "take X package if you want your character to do Y"

They do. There's packages and everything with pre-calculated Empathy costs for cyberware.

It's also nice they're big on having classes of weapons than meticulously listing out different guns. Like there's a Heavy Pistol and a Very Heavy Pistol and they're unconcerned much more granularity.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dawgstar posted:

They do. There's packages and everything with pre-calculated Empathy costs for cyberware.

It's also nice they're big on having classes of weapons than meticulously listing out different guns. Like there's a Heavy Pistol and a Very Heavy Pistol and they're unconcerned much more granularity.

I would really have preferred at least some more fluff to go with them. 2020 did a good job of building corporate identity through equipment and setting-fluff items.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm pretty sure you can fracture those down to be pretty granular. For pistols alone there's medium, heavy, v heavy, and then 3 cost grades.

The three kinds have different fire rates and damage and ammo capacities, the price range describes things like if you crit fail it jams, or if it has +1 to hit. Quality bumps a weapon up or down by one price bracket, so if it's 100 normally, the cheap one will cost 50 and the good one will cost 500.

You could probably apply the same quality concept to almost anything that's not exotic or superluxury and it could work. Things that are already superluxury like pretty much any vehicle sort of don't fit into the quality bracket system cause they could go from 20,000 for a basic motorcycle to 100,000 for a flying car.

They just give a basic list for most things and don't go through and enumerate every possible manufacturer. You can totally go to a vending machine or corner store and buy a lovely gun for super cheap tho.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SkyeAuroline posted:

I would really have preferred at least some more fluff to go with them. 2020 did a good job of building corporate identity through equipment and setting-fluff items.

Honestly I would like is a fluff book dedicated to equipment. The stats are already in the core. One of the more amusing things in Feng Shui were the firearm descriptions even as they say that crunch-wise they don't make much of a difference for their purposes.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Are there any 2020 books that focus on cyberware? Im not planning on doing conversions, just looking for ideas for npcs

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Control Volume posted:

Are there any 2020 books that focus on cyberware? Im not planning on doing conversions, just looking for ideas for npcs

Not a direct answer, but found a reference list for all the cyberware for 2020 that might help you focus down on specific books based on what interests you. Just name and location, though, no info in the index.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

The upcoming Black Chrome book is supposedly going to be a 2020 style Chromebook (descriped as "Stuff and how you get it." and "Sear’s Catalog but for Cyberpunk") so they might flesh things more and introduce Corpo branding via that. The rulebook has the Ranged Weapon Brand Examples table for inspiration as well (Dai Lung is still the king of cheap knockoffs).

R. Talsorian Games also released this https://rtalsoriangames.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/RTG-CPR-OldGuns.pdf for porting 2020 weapons to the time of the red.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

Not a direct answer, but found a reference list for all the cyberware for 2020 that might help you focus down on specific books based on what interests you. Just name and location, though, no info in the index.

The reference list is probably more what Im looking for lol. Thanks

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Control Volume posted:

The reference list is probably more what Im looking for lol. Thanks

No problem. Most stuff is in the Chromebooks for equipment in general, I think.

Daily reminder to the thread that prayerware should have made the jump.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
woah what the hell's prayerware?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Prayerware was in Chromebook 2 as an incidental item. I don't have my book on me, so let me channel RTG as well as I can.

Still need to practice your faith while getting ground into dust by 16-hour work days and Mandatory Corporate Fun? Get yourself some DDI Prayerware, a direct line to a real* priest of your mainstream denomination that fits in your hand! Handle confession on your lunch break, seek counsel in a cab. Two-way audio and video, safe and private.
*realness not guaranteed

The actual item is basically just a really cheap preprogrammed video phone that can only contact your church. It was dumb but reinforced the commodification of every aspect of life when I first read it, and it's stuck with me.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

DeathSandwich posted:

I need to go back and look but I believe yes, quick character gen rules just give you a one and done list of starting gear and all you need to pick is cosmetics.

I do have to praise this version for having pretty good quick gen character rules, seems to do a pretty good job making characters that are reasonably strong at their roles. Even messing with the full “make your own” rules I typically start with the stat/skill arrays and tweak from there, saves a lot of work at ensuring you hit your “core competencies” for your role.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The thing to keep in mind is that if you want the more granular variety of gun/gear selection, you can still do that. Get copies of the old 2020 books and most of the low level guns (minus the things that do d10 dice damage like railguns) should be able to import across pretty easy without a whole lot of modification. That'll also give you room for like, double barrel vs pump shotguns, revolvers, and the like. Or you just modify the existing categories. If you want to base guns off of old pre-cyberpunk guns they are still around so you don't have to have your Very Heavy Pistol be just like a caseless ammunition magnum like it would be Rules as Written - just make your VH pistol be a .44 magnum revolver, modify the magazine count, and maybe modify it in some other way to compensate (like making it +1 more accurate at medium range). If you want someone to tote a M1 garand just make one up custom and adjust accordingly. Those old pre-modern guns still kill you dead at the end of the day, after all.

If you are planning to GM red, it's been suggested to pick up Listen Up You Primitive Screwheads for 2020 because it's all GM stuff and a lot of it should still be pertinent. Most people I know who played 2020 have straight up said it should be the first supplemental book you buy for it. It's that good.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SkyeAuroline posted:

Prayerware was in Chromebook 2 as an incidental item. I don't have my book on me, so let me channel RTG as well as I can.

Still need to practice your faith while getting ground into dust by 16-hour work days and Mandatory Corporate Fun? Get yourself some DDI Prayerware, a direct line to a real* priest of your mainstream denomination that fits in your hand! Handle confession on your lunch break, seek counsel in a cab. Two-way audio and video, safe and private.
*realness not guaranteed

The actual item is basically just a really cheap preprogrammed video phone that can only contact your church. It was dumb but reinforced the commodification of every aspect of life when I first read it, and it's stuck with me.

oh man you know how there's prayer wheels? 100% chance there's a hologram one, or even one that's completely within a local net, like you just pull up a page and can look at it. There are already electric prayer wheels irl.

If there was a monastery with its own net architecture I bet the first floor would have one. Although I dunno if every kind of monk would be ok with getting neuralware or even any cyberware. A lot of religions are not cool with certain modifications to the body. Sikhs would maybe not get any implants at all? What's the christian denomination that doesn't even do blood transplants, would they reject clone arms if one got blasted off? Medicalware?

Could someone who essentially is not a netrunner set up an architecture and access it in a more normal non-hacky way? Surely you could connect a normal computer to it and administer it in the old fashioned way.

MadDogMike posted:

I do have to praise this version for having pretty good quick gen character rules, seems to do a pretty good job making characters that are reasonably strong at their roles. Even messing with the full “make your own” rules I typically start with the stat/skill arrays and tweak from there, saves a lot of work at ensuring you hit your “core competencies” for your role.

Yeah my main concern would be somehow accidentally creating a completely lopsided character who can't really get things done well. For example when the red sky city guys made their characters there were a lot that picked like 1 or 2 luck, but luck seems super useful. I think even if you make a total weirdo character like a professor with all skills in education and social skills you could still function, but you really are gonna be crap when the guns inevitably come out. That kind of character is really pushing the limits and would probably not be a good edgerunner. Better as an NPC for the actual crew to interact with.

DeathSandwich posted:

The thing to keep in mind is that if you want the more granular variety of gun/gear selection, you can still do that. Get copies of the old 2020 books and most of the low level guns (minus the things that do d10 dice damage like railguns) should be able to import across pretty easy without a whole lot of modification. That'll also give you room for like, double barrel vs pump shotguns, revolvers, and the like. Or you just modify the existing categories. If you want to base guns off of old pre-cyberpunk guns they are still around so you don't have to have your Very Heavy Pistol be just like a caseless ammunition magnum like it would be Rules as Written - just make your VH pistol be a .44 magnum revolver, modify the magazine count, and maybe modify it in some other way to compensate (like making it +1 more accurate at medium range). If you want someone to tote a M1 garand just make one up custom and adjust accordingly. Those old pre-modern guns still kill you dead at the end of the day, after all.

If you are planning to GM red, it's been suggested to pick up Listen Up You Primitive Screwheads for 2020 because it's all GM stuff and a lot of it should still be pertinent. Most people I know who played 2020 have straight up said it should be the first supplemental book you buy for it. It's that good.

I was messing around looking and there's a blurb that says if you do find an antique that still uses cased ammo you have to load your own, and imo that would absolutely be the exact kind of thing an edgerunner who went out of their way to get such a gun would do, just as a point of pride, for their personal signature weapon or w/e. If somebody came around the corner with a legit AR15 or AK47 I think they absolutely would have gotten ammo for it from somewhere. Maybe make it so they do have to fabricate or source the ancient era cartridges.

poo poo, if it's a non-Tech you could just be like "oh ok now that you've had someone prep the schematics or you downloaded them or w/e, you can get a ten pack for like 11 bucks at any place that has a 3d printer, including such and such vending machines." If they got a weapon that was current in 2020 I'd let them just use the ammo that's available now. IMO stuff that was already old in 2020 should be noticeably unusual when most people could get comparable modern weapons printed out, and stuff that was current in 2020 would be more like "yup that an old reliable type-17."

Molrok
May 30, 2011

The techs invention expertise is pretty much a homebrew time! rule, so using the invention + upgrade expertise rules as guidelines might go pretty far for importing 2020 tech to 2045 (for stuff with simple stats / functions 'least).

Homebrew time: stuff from 2020 might serve as nice alternative rewards too. Instead of just finding pre-DataKrash shipping container full of crap worth of 2000eb you get a shipping container with boxes of mint condition PrayerWares that still function through the miracle of superior DDI infrastructure. As a action: 1d10 VS DV9, no SKILL+STAT applied beyond burning LUCK. On a 10 you get a direct hotline to Father Kevin at the Holy Angels Church while in NC or another real, totally not AI, priest (adjust to match the characters faith ofc). Repeated spam might annoy a real holy figure as GM sees fit.

WorldSat / Ziggurat could be very keen on getting their hands on untapped, working com networks and attached hardware (eddies!). Meanwhile NetWatch wants to trash any access points that still plug into the old NET (unchecked AI impersonating as a holy figure AND getting in touch with humanity? NOPE!)

Molrok fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 9, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SniperWoreConverse posted:

oh man you know how there's prayer wheels? 100% chance there's a hologram one, or even one that's completely within a local net, like you just pull up a page and can look at it. There are already electric prayer wheels irl.

If there was a monastery with its own net architecture I bet the first floor would have one. Although I dunno if every kind of monk would be ok with getting neuralware or even any cyberware. A lot of religions are not cool with certain modifications to the body. Sikhs would maybe not get any implants at all? What's the christian denomination that doesn't even do blood transplants, would they reject clone arms if one got blasted off? Medicalware?

Could someone who essentially is not a netrunner set up an architecture and access it in a more normal non-hacky way? Surely you could connect a normal computer to it and administer it in the old fashioned way.

FWIW prayerware is used in the same sense as "hardware", it's not an implant, but I do like synthesis of religion and technology as a theme and like this train of thought. Sikhs would stay unaugmented (incidentally we're talking about incorporating a gurudwara into our Night City as part of a character's backstory, so good thing you brought that up).

The "Christians" you're talking about are Jehovah's Witnesses. Authorial note: I have JW family and have strong opinions on them. This is not a broad medical issue but a specific interpretation of Acts as pertaining to blood itself. JWs are the weird branch of "cyberpunk faiths" where you'd actually probably see more cyberware than regrown limbs and the like, even among the very upper strata, because of how things get complicated.

I'm not sure how synthetic blood interacts with doctrine in all regards, but if the blood in a regrow is "your own" blood externally grown & supplied to you, I think it would fall afoul of "abstaining from blood" in terms of body continuity. Engineered hemoglobin-based substitutes are permitted but have their issues, and that only replaces one element of the blood; platelets, white blood cells, and plasma itself all still pose problems since they can't be infused as whole (though constituent fractions are accepted). Plus the issue of growing a limb without a blood supply until after it's fully grown.

Cyberware neatly sidesteps all of this by, well, not having a blood supply to worry about. As long as your doc is qualified for bloodless surgery (rare but not unheard of IRL) then getting an implant is completely acceptable under doctrine.

This all assumes the official Watch Tower Society doctrine, of course, and also that little to none of it adapts to the future. This is also the most I've actually thought about JW doctrine in years and stances may have shifted.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

There's a sidequest in 2077 about a pair of Buddhist monks. They are not allowed cyberware. Medicalware isn't really mentioned, but I'm guessing it's not allowed either.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

There's a sidequest in 2077 about a pair of Buddhist monks. They are not allowed cyberware. Medicalware isn't really mentioned, but I'm guessing it's not allowed either.

Supposedly it makes you unable to participate in getting to nirvana. They might be onto something, especially when you look at the borgware humanity losses:

edit: chrome covered for no additional loss of humanity

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait, you can buy a linear frame and just walk around flipping cars and unplug it when you get home. Only an actual sicko who lusts for the hp gains would get it implanted.

But that's bullshit that having implants keeps you outta nirvana how the gently caress does that work

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Wait, you can buy a linear frame and just walk around flipping cars and unplug it when you get home. Only an actual sicko who lusts for the hp gains would get it implanted.

But that's bullshit that having implants keeps you outta nirvana how the gently caress does that work

Cyberpunk RED posted:

Before we Start... Let's begin by straightening one thing out: It's cyber-ware. Not cyberwear. Cyberwear is stuff you can remove. You're just wearing it, chombatta. You're a tourist. You're not yet committed to the Edge.

But yeah you could just lug it around, then dump it at home... and risk someone else pulling it off you.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Following up first with an added comment with prayerware: cracked open Chromebook 2 and I appreciate using the PrayerWare to call the "Holy Fathers of the Perpetual Railgun" into combat. Thanks, Ripperjack.

Anyway, campaign kicked off today (and wrapped up as of about two minutes before me writing this). What's the best way for a Rockergirl pop star, a washed-up war reporter, a slick fixer and his bodyguard, and a masterful techie to get out to sea and steal an old SovOil ship? Apparently, the answer is "strike a deal with a Trauma Team contact to swing back at REO Meatwagon, stage an impromptu concert outside one of their field offices, distract the limited staff on site, sabotage their TT intercept hardware, and steal a rescue boat while attention's directed elsewhere by TT". Everyone mostly got to pull some weight, dice rolled hot the whole way through, pretty good start to the campaign. Don't know that I can recommend the Foundry module we're using in place of Roll20 though (not sure the name off hand), I'd just do it manually.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Neat. Stealing one is probably the best option, and what works, works. But it could have blowback like now REO is pissed, so mabe it would have been better to make a deal with someone to get transport.

I've been messing around trying to make maps in Dungeon Fog, and it's a lot more sophisticated than Inkarnate is. You can do multiple floors in a really cool way, and you actually make rooms and walls that have transparent floors and stuff like that. It gives an absolute shitload of assets if you pay for them, and it has lighting options I really wanted to try out.

There's a biotech job I made a halfass map for using free assets, and I really like the multiple levels. At night it looks like this:

forest floor:

canopy:

You can make a layer's floor completely hidden, so that you can build towers and stuff above the surface. If I was doing a serious version I would populate the woods with smaller trees and bushes and put down treestumps, and then on the upper layer put bigass trees over each stump, to represent the fact that they're huge as hell. Then you have even this towering canopy with the watchtower slightly above it. Also there's a few other points of interest in the forest, like a ranger station that I'd also put in a few extra things in.

There's a lot of cool stuff like antenna arrays and drones and crap like that, but almost everything is behind the paywall. Everything that's tagged "Cyberpunk," which is a lot of really wild poo poo, is all behind the wall. But you can sort of get by, they do give you a decent amount of stuff. If you pay you can get upgraded from one free of car and one motocycle, to cyberpunk style vehicles and robots and horses and stuff too. Red is the kind of setting where it makes sense to pull in a bunch of stuff, even stuff from some of the fantasy sets, like swords and marble statues and whatever.

The way it lets you group and sort stuff is pretty ok

Inkarnate has better tools for painting trees all over the place and that kind of thing, and Dungeon Fog tends to glitch out if I leave the tab open long enough. Also it's supposed to be able to keep track of all these things automatically, and it has a system of GM notes that you could use. Rooms are automatically entered into the notes, which is cool, but for some reason nothing that's inside the rooms or out in the world get populated into the notes, even if I manually flag them to be entered into the notes. Then it crashed and the map and everything associated with it was permanently corrupted, so oh well!

Genuinely dynamic lighting that changes when things move around would probably be pretty hard to do with DF, and the scale of some things like flashlight beams and sniper rifles would completely blow the map system up unless you started with each grid cell as 5 or 10m instead of one. Also some assets in DF are not even close to being at the same scale.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Neat. Stealing one is probably the best option, and what works, works. But it could have blowback like now REO is pissed, so mabe it would have been better to make a deal with someone to get transport.

Yup- this is going to come back to haunt us for sure. Fortunately thanks to some absurdly good rolls across the board (I don't think we had a single roll under 12 all session) the actual sabotage team did REALLY well and the hardware sabotage we had to do ended up netting a total 29 as a crit, so the only thing we have to worry about them being on our asses for is the boat. The best leads they have are basically "review the camera footage and try to figure out who these black-bloc-esque dudes are" and "hey it's really convenient that this singer had an impromptu concert in our parking lot right when our boat got stolen, and now she's making waves, follow up on that"...
and yes, a Four Seasons Landscaping joke was made re: justifying why the hell they were trying to play a show in the parking lot of a music-themed-in-name medical corp

e: regarding mapping, our GM has been using Dungeon Draft with modern/scifi plugins and it's working pretty well (a couple things that didn't have assets and needed sketching aside) for our purposes. Foundry handles the LOS stuff, and we just use separate maps for multiple floors. Moving between them gets finicky but it works okay.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 11, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So yesterday i was jerking around with Dungeon Fog some more and these are the results:
  • You can make "ok" Cyberpunk maps with the free assets, including stuff like the Biotechnica job in the back of the book.
  • I'm pretty sure it's not really compatible with using edge as a browser, because it reliably will start glitching out bad the longer you edit. I think this is not really related to having large numbers of assets swimming around, but the more assets you have, the worse your problems will be. There's no way most people are experiencing this because nobody is gonna pay for a tool that acts this way.
  • I had a lot of stuff like loading zone decals, roads and foundation paints on the ground, a fuckload of trees and shrubs, and i had all of these sorted into folders. When it starts freaking out it seems to add duplicate entries into the content tree, so suddenly I have like 4 copies of a sidewalk, and they're above the pavement paint, and above stairs and lifts and stuff. If you put these duplicates back into the folders they're supposed to belong in then the problem fixes itself. The actual item is not duplicated, but the layering will be screwed up.
  • The orange selection overlay will screw up. If you save at this point it will absolutely ruin the map so you better be saving often and be prepared to log out and back in in a new tab. If you save when the content lists are messed up they stay messed up until you fix them and save again.
  • Unfortunately you can't adjust settings like opacity, drop shadows y/n, lightsource, casts shadows, etc, from folder level. You have to go in and do each one individually, so no throwing down a shitload of street lamps and then turning them all on with the same settings.
  • The illumination option "hide all lights" is a decent way to switch between night and day automatically. So you can set up all your lights and make everything look super awesome at night, and then just flip the stage lighting and it looks good in the day too. Otherwise certain light sources look absolutely eye searing like anyone near them are being bombarded by hard radiation or something, which also could be interesting if you had a job with rads, or with someone who has rad vision.
  • Whatever is screwing up my maps might also be the same thing that makes the GM notes completely broken and unusable. It doesn't list objects or rooms correctly and I can't select specific items to make entries.
  • I don't know how to edit the map description after you create it.
  • I only get 3 floors for each map, dunno if it's like this for everyone or just free accounts, but I was planning on using a bunch of those to represent the view from security camera drones. I suppose alternately I could resize the map and chop it into quadrants for this. I was thinking a good job would be a very vertical one that goes down but if you only get three levels then you can't make it super crazy.

I was really enthused for the GM notes because I added in a bunch of stuff to that job that seemed like it would flesh out how and what the corp is doing, and it sort of created a side story as i was building the map itself. I spoilered plot info from the book or important changes I made, in case anyone is gonna be a player for this and doesn't want the infodump. Depending on how inquisitive the players are they would see stuff like this:

Have the gig start with the crew on a landing pad next to the ranger station, a fat old watchman with virtuality goggles is finally glad to get some time off and leaves with the NPC who gives the detailed briefing. The "supplies" for the ranger station includes a vendit that sells food, as well as lockers with the cheapest possible ranger station stuff, like bandaids, ranger tools, maybe a lovely gun. The rep gives the spiel he does in the book and gives out stuff like he would in the book.

The ranger station is like the watchtower, except for one floor and even more cramped, and is super cheaply put together with prefab components, the walls are thin metal, the water source is a rain catchment cistern with a cheap filter, the crapper is a hole in the ground with a lid over it. There's also an antenna pointing towards the watchtower and a mysterious sealed floor hatch. There's a desk and rudimentary displays that show the same info that the watchtower computers do, but it's a pain in the rear end to use. If you have goggles or a cyberdeck you can instead use a much better virtual interface. There's an infrastructure access point. The whole forest is on the same net infrastructure thanks to the antennas, and there's another access point in the tower.

Anyone has enough security tech / education / applicable science / business skills can look at the hatch and know that it's a SecureCan preassembled net infrastructure module. It's one sealed canister with the smallest net infrastructure in it (the mobile one), a thermal battery similar to the kind in vendits, and takes a huge DV on security to pop the lid open. The actual can itself is also insanely heavy and sealed into the foundation. Inside the network is a warning & log file, a file that shows all the data any of the screens would show, & control node that works to unlock anything that's locked, but the DV to access anything you don't already have the password for is extremely high.

The watchtower is still an hour's trek into the forest, and it's essentially the same as in the book except it also has a supply shack with locked tool lockers and a worn and dirty linear frame sigma, which is also locked. The tool lockers aren't that bad if someone tried to break into them and contain forestry tools like a chainsaw, entrenching tool, pulaski, etc. There are very heave melee weapons which are designed to attach to the frame so someone could do excavations, form foundations quickly, etc, but they take 11+ body to use. The corp pretty much dropped off a bunch of prefab building materials and the fame, and someone used it to construct everything quickly and dig out the water and latrines, and install the infrastructure can. That can is much more valuable than everything else and is the only quality object in the forest besides the frame and all the wood and trees, and it's easily in the superluxury range. The frame should be hard to get activated and the rep will not give any codes to access any of this stuff. They use the frame to chop and load certain trees and stuff, too.

Give the players a few extra extraordinarily boring days watching out. Some of the plants in the forest are obviously heavily engineered and weird. Maybe someone who knows what they're doing can try to take samples and sell the data later, or use it in their own projects. Maybe the team gets bored enough to try and backstab the corp and steal the can or the frame and other stuff. Maybe they wanna use the frame to rip open the vendit and have a party with the stuff inside. Eventually the pirates hit the forest like in the book, and the rep will show up a day later to start inspecting things. If the crew obviously screwed up the forest or messed with the equipment too much he'll be super pissed and act appropriately, but if they play it straight he offers another job like in the book.

This job's a good lead in to a potential campaign imo, and by punching it up some it gives options to the players to take it in a few different directions. Also, because they get airlifted in and out of the forest by the corp, they better be pretty clever if they are willing to make an enemy. If literally nobody in the crew has interface plugs then welp a lot of the stuff I added in just doesn't work anymore, but them's the breaks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

You cannot enter Nirvanna with an incomplete soul. They believe that defilement of the body and defilement of the soul are one and the same. IIRC in the world of Cyberpunk there are evangelica subsects of all the major faiths that touch upon this in a greater or lesser extent.

Edit: That is to say - voluntarily getting cybernetics. Keep in mind that it's possible to get grafts of cloned fleshy arms/legs/eyes without cybernetics for basically the same cost as medical-grade prosthetics. I can't remember if biological replacements are considered haram for the faithful of Cyberpunk.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 12, 2021

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Cyberpunk Anguilimala who rips the cyberware out of people so their souls can get back on the path to Enlightenment, and wears the severed parts as clothing.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Can anyone point to some solid resources for Fourth Corporate War in-detail (as it's canon for RED, at least - I know some material has been quietly set aside)? Media for this campaign took part as a war reporter and is just now getting back "into the field", just want to familiarize myself as much as I can to pull from that. I'm sure almost all of it is 2020 supplements, just not sure what the "most important" ones are and metaplots tend to hide really important things where you don't expect.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
My group is doing character rolls today and I'm definitely going all in on no-cyber martial arts/fisticuffs only. My GM hates when I do dumb things like this so I expect to be punished, but all my trials and gameprodding tell me I'm pretty dangerous.

of course, if something goes terribly wrong but I live, I'll definitely get that implanted linear frame and it's required components as fast as possible.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

mellonbread posted:

Cyberpunk Anguilimala who rips the cyberware out of people so their souls can get back on the path to Enlightenment, and wears the severed parts as clothing.

I know the villain of my next campaign.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What would a character who never gets cyberware have to be able to beat cyborgs? Does muscle and bone lace count? Skinweave? Why would installing those be different than cutting your hair or getting regular old style tattoos, if any change to the body also changes the soul?

So this character would basically be all-in on gear instead of cyberware, so... i guess get ready to batman it up. What role, tho? I'm thinking lawman, because going up against people with cyberware when you have nothing probably means you would need some kind of backup, and i'm pretty sure there's already the inquisitor gang, and i'm pretty sure a gang boss is not mechanically different from a cop.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lawman feels right, yeah. Several roles could do zero-ware (rocker, media, and fixer should have no issue using external equipment, exec theoretically wouldn't if ware wasn't a social expectation instead) but I don't see any others that can do it and also be combat successful against their wared brethren.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Couldn't you just not fight the 'borged up psycho and let someone else deal with the fallout? See the cyberpsycho tearing through 'Saka goons and just go "gently caress that I'm out of here".

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SkyeAuroline posted:

Lawman feels right, yeah. Several roles could do zero-ware (rocker, media, and fixer should have no issue using external equipment, exec theoretically wouldn't if ware wasn't a social expectation instead) but I don't see any others that can do it and also be combat successful against their wared brethren.

Possibly nomad? Tech or Medtech? More likely those types would be part of his gang, and important people he needs to keep the whole thing working.

Boiled Water posted:

Couldn't you just not fight the 'borged up psycho and let someone else deal with the fallout? See the cyberpsycho tearing through 'Saka goons and just go "gently caress that I'm out of here".

Yeah any usual person would do this, but

mellonbread posted:

This dude is 100% some kinda major inquisitors lieutenant or sect boss or whatever, and would have some kind of method to try and wipe a crew of player edgerunners, and especially cyber psychos.

I could see inquisitors being a serious threat if they tend to call in backup or dumped their efforts into skills and equipment whenever a normal gang would just cyber it up some. Everyone hates them and they're in a total war with all other gangs and still haven't been driven extinct yet.

You could come up with a ton of scenarios about this guy. Does he kill everyone with even fashonware or just rip it out? How does he recruit? How's he deal with so many enemies?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Please guys, my martial arts expert is the party Solo.

Just hopefully not the only one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe he cybers up in order to rip cyber out of people because he wants to help everyone else get back on the road to Nirvana. He makes this sacrifice to help you, person he is actively mutilating.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Utgardaloki posted:

Please guys, my martial arts expert is the party Solo.

Just hopefully not the only one.

MA is a good strat, i think. With the right char it could be pretty powerful, but it's going to take a lot of investment and it seems like it's exactly the thing you need to focus on to make work. Sort of like specializing in pilot or paramedic, except if you fail you die instead of your patient.

If I was going to make a solo that's the one I'd use to try and push the absolute maximum amount of cyberware during creation, completely go into debt, live on the street, whatever the GM would let me get away with. Sell all clothes and only have a couple pieces that came out of canned tshirt vendit.

Other character ideas i had bullshitted around with:
tech obsessed with inventing an aircraft
max luck daredevil netrunner
ex-police PI. Alcoholic. Or addicted to slam or w/e.
rocker who's equally balanced between da Vinci the renaissance man and Leonardo the ninja turtle. Get that draw/paint/sculpt put to use.
media naturalist. documenting the last natural life forms before it's too late
cryptoneomarxist exec & commie double agent
fixer/historian
nomad conspiracy theorist. atlantis, mu, ufos, the lost world and dinosaurs were never extinct: Real, real, real, REALLY real. Has 1 rank in riding just in case.

possibly my fav:
medtech. ID badge on the lab coat literally only says Herbert West -- Reanimator.

marshmallow creep posted:

Maybe he cybers up in order to rip cyber out of people because he wants to help everyone else get back on the road to Nirvana. He makes this sacrifice to help you, person he is actively mutilating.

Sick. It works because it's like one of those people who decides not to achieve nirvana until everybody else makes it first.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Can anyone point to some solid resources for Fourth Corporate War in-detail (as it's canon for RED, at least - I know some material has been quietly set aside)? Media for this campaign took part as a war reporter and is just now getting back "into the field", just want to familiarize myself as much as I can to pull from that. I'm sure almost all of it is 2020 supplements, just not sure what the "most important" ones are and metaplots tend to hide really important things where you don't expect.

Best 'in a nutshell' version of it is probably just the cyberpunk wiki: https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Fourth_Corporate_War

Do note that The mini-nuke in Arasaka tower was literally the demolitron Johnny Silverhand sets off in the Cyberpunk 2077 flashback. They got their hands on it through a Militech cutout who I believe is implied to be Morgan Blackhand.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

DeathSandwich posted:

Best 'in a nutshell' version of it is probably just the cyberpunk wiki: https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Fourth_Corporate_War

Do note that The mini-nuke in Arasaka tower was literally the demolitron Johnny Silverhand sets off in the Cyberpunk 2077 flashback. They got their hands on it through a Militech cutout who I believe is implied to be Morgan Blackhand.

Thanks, desktop night mode extension, for automatically unhiding spoilers due to weird UI interactions. Thankfully I don't plan to play 2077 anyway so that's no big deal.

Any case, yeah, guess that's the best entry point and then just follow up citations, figure out what's applicable to the character and all that. 2077/RED change much about the very end of it or is that all still played out the same as the older books? I had the guy arriving in the Night City area immediately in the wake of the nuke, so that's going to be about where local knowledge picks up for me; I know RED has a fair bit but not sure how much of that is whole cloth and how much is pulling from existing material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So this character would basically be all-in on gear instead of cyberware, so... i guess get ready to batman it up. What role, tho? I'm thinking lawman, because going up against people with cyberware when you have nothing probably means you would need some kind of backup, and i'm pretty sure there's already the inquisitor gang, and i'm pretty sure a gang boss is not mechanically different from a cop.

RTG's said that the Backup part of Lawman doesn't need to explicitly be police. It's just a pack of folks you can call on.