Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I didn't find a thread for Cyberpunk Red so here's a thread for talking about it.

Word on the street is red has been the #1 book on drivethrurpg for a while, and other stuff like used hardcopies are going for €$100 (Premium). But weirdly there's not a thread here for it. Check out the character sheet, you can get it for free:
https://rtalsoriangames.com/downloads/

I'm pretty sure i'm gonna go ahead and make a horse archer with no cyberware at all. Just animal handling / riding / archery / wilderness survival / musical instrument: tsuur. Probably melee weapons or maybe just brawl.

The core book is 450+ pages and has a LOT going on. The art is cool and there's a bunch of neat stuff in there. Rolling characters seems really cool, but somehow I feel like it could be possible to completely screw up a character if you do it by hand. Otherwise you can literally roll a dice to get your character or roll a couple to get one, the quicker ways to make characters are basically guaranteed to not cripple you, at least out of the gate.

You can get crippled in this game, though. Get your arm blown off, get your eye shot out, all kinds of crazy poo poo. Probably having a medtech is a good idea, because you are gonna get hurt eventually, and if you don't have someone who can splint your cyberlegs you are gonna regret it.

Speaking of cyberlegs, i feel like you are supposed to have major bonuses, at least in some situations, by replacing your limbs. You have to pay in cash and sanity. But in the book it looks like cyberarms are expensive and crappy. If you have low Body, you can punch as if you had a higher bod, but... that's it? You can put stuff in your arms, like weapons or tools. But you can put rippers in your meat hands, and you can carry a medical analyzer in your bag. Legs at least let you drop 30m without taking fall damage. You can get a module that lets you jump good, but it doesn't seem really well described? idk.

Anybody else interested in this game? How are science skills supposed to work? How the hell is stuff like personal grooming and wardrobe supposed to make it easier to influence people? Is rolling a Solo who put everything into getting light tattoos and glowing hair and fancy clothes and then relying on martial arts for fighting a bad idea? Should Techs be using tool hands or tech tools? Is it just me or does every role seem to have abilities that are insanely overpowered?

E: crap I forgot to put medtech in the poll, whoops. They're cool because they're the only way to get anything like a healing potion, at all, and they can synthesize decent pharmaceuticals that have no drawbacks. Also if you're dying they can cram you in a cryobag and sneak you out to get patched up.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Anybody else interested in this game? How are science skills supposed to work? How the hell is stuff like personal grooming and wardrobe supposed to make it easier to influence people? Is rolling a Solo who put everything into getting light tattoos and glowing hair and fancy clothes and then relying on martial arts for fighting a bad idea? Should Techs be using tool hands or tech tools? Is it just me or does every role seem to have abilities that are insanely overpowered?

You're asking the wrong questions. Light tattoos and Glowing Hair and Tool hands don't have to be mechanically useful if they are cool.

quote:

Style over Substance: It doesn’t matter how well you do something, as long as you look good doing it. If you’re going to blow it, make sure you look like planned it that way. Normally, clothes and looks don’t matter in a adventure – in this world, having a leather armor jacket and mirrorshades is a serious consideration.

Attitude is Everything: It’s truth. Think dangerous; be dangerous. Think weak; be weak. Remember, everyone in the 2000’s is carrying lots of lethal hardware and high-tech enhancements. They won’t be impressed by you new H&K smartgun unless you swagger into the club looking like you know how to use it – and are just itching for an excuse.

Live on the Edge: The Edge is that nebulous zone where risk takes and highriders go. On the Edge, you’ll risk your cash, your rep, even your life on something as vague as a principle or a big score. As a cyberpunk, you want to be the action, start the rebellion, light the fire. Join great causes and fight for big issues. Never drive slow when you can drive fast. Throw yourself up against danger and take it head on. Never play too safe. Stay committed to the Edge.

For realsies though, I got the full version of CPRed on DrivethroughRPG the other week and have been internalizing it for my own game I'm going to be playing with some buddies of mine.

Keep in mind that it's not D&D and it's not Cyberpunk 2077. The game is explicitly not going to be doing the "+3 pistol of testicle shooting" when most of the time your players probably won't even be able to afford a full magazine of ammunition. Kind of like Shadowrun, combat has it's place, but you have to play smarter, not harder. Smart use of stealth, Ambushes, hit and fades, running away when you're outmatched or when the MAXTAC helicopter shows up is what keeps you alive to see the next job. Even if you roll a character for maximum tonk with a 8 body/will fightmonster, you can still have your leg blown off by a shotgun in the first round of combat, and that poo poo is expensive to fix.

The older version, 2020 was probably one of the few games that could be described as "As lethal or moreso than Call of Cthulu" and while Red levels the lethality down a touch, even non-killshots still have a chance to heinously maim and dismember you. The character careers really define what you character is and does outside of combat rather than what you do in combat (solo not withstanding). In combat, everyone more or less has the same options available to them with the only real difference being how well you do any given thing.

It's why there is so much emphasis on the worldbuilding and skills and way less so on precise descriptions of crazy mantis blades and the equivalent of cyber-superpowers. A cyberarm isn't really crappy, even baseline it's just as functional as a regular meat arm, but in addition you maybe also don't have to worry about carrying around a cyberdeck that gets stolen or gets you mugged on the street, or you have holdout weapons build into it in case poo poo goes sideways, ect. At best I would say that the cybernetic limbs aren't really something you're meant to seek out, and really moreso along the lines of "Well this run went south and this grenade blew off my arm, at least when I get a replacement it'll come with new features!" The borgware is specifically where you get into the superpower-level stuff, and the people who get it specifically become monstrous for doing so. It creates a sort of moral dilemma you see with something like Vampire's humanity system.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 7, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah, but medical grade cyberware or vat cloned eyeballs cost 50 instead of 500, and don't have humanity costs. I suppose hiding crap in the arm is a pretty good idea tho. Plus get chromed.

Yeah get the cyber legs but get the shielding when you can afford it cause someone will eventually shoot you with a microwave gun.

Probably rolling a solo who put all money into cyber chips and in the end can only afford one pair of pants with no other clothes and no gun is a good idea.

Martial arts is pretty wild because it seems like you can do insane moves like pressure point brain damage and break all the ribs and stuff. You can straight up combo attack and grab someone's gun out of their hand if you're good enough.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Seems like if your cyber foot gets crushed in a trash compactor instead of having to get someone to do a surgery check to fix it anyone who has cybertech can try, so that could actually be really important

e: to not quadruple ultra megapost a lot of cyber limbs say stuff like "The user negates the normal movement penalty for climbing" and i couldn't find where this was actually described, but this is actually in there and i somehow didn't see it:
"Swimming, Climbing, and Jumping with a running start all cost 2 m/yds of movement for every m/yd traveled or 2 squares for every 1 square. When jumping from standing you can clear half the distance that you could with a running start."

So those leg options basically double your movement, except the rollerblade feet wich gives a fuckin 6 extra move if you use your whole turn to move, which could easily be on par with driving a loving car, and the raptor claw which is just a weapon

But if i was GMing i'd call it that anything that isn't specifically hand related you could also fit in the legs. Like scanners, cyberdeck, quick change mount. Hell, i'd let you fit a hidden holster or subdermal pocket into the arm or leg if you wanted and you had space.

Is Education or Science supposed to just be a pretty much backup skill or how would it be used? If i made a guy who had like max education and a shitload of science skills what's a good way i could use those to get poo poo done?

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 7, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Moving from the CP2077 thread:

I don't even know that having a baseline cyber eye does anything at all beyond "it's the same thing but cyber. You lose humanity for having this."

My understanding (don't have the book to hand right now) is that if cyberware doesn't provide any advantage over baseline human capability, then you don't lose HUM for it. It's something about having enhancements causing you to feel detached from normal people. I can dig for the excerpt later.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

My understanding (don't have the book to hand right now) is that if cyberware doesn't provide any advantage over baseline human capability, then you don't lose HUM for it. It's something about having enhancements causing you to feel detached from normal people. I can dig for the excerpt later.

Yeah you can get a cloned eye or medical cybereye and keep your humanity. Getting an actual cybereye gives you the option of getting Neat Stuff implanted now and becoming a cyberpsycho later :v:

The journalist media from the Expanse has a pretty cool example of a cybereye.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, they did reword how humanity loss works in this edition vs the older editions. In RED the only things that explicitly cost humanity is when you are getting chrome that goes above and beyond what would be considered standard human potential. A mundane cybernetic arm / eye/ect that just mimics basic meat function and nothing beyond that pretty explicitly doesn't have a humanity cost. The same goes for biosculpting. If you want to upgrade to biosculpted hulk arms that let you rip car doors off their hinges there's a humanity cost associated with that the same as if you got robot arms that do the same thing. That does allow for things that are a lot more progressive in RED compared to 2020 or 2013 - Gender cofirmation in RED has no humanity cost when it did in 2020/2013 for example.

Also keep in mind that humanity therapy is a thing in this edition that really wasn't there in the old versions too. It won't completely recoup the humanity loss but on a long enough timeframe you can get to where it's basically the same as rolling a 1 for every d6 of humanity loss you would of accrued, which makes a huge difference.

And yeah, medical grade baseline eyes cost 50. They also can't do things like agent integration, thermal vision, telescopic zoom, ect like the Cybereyes can.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Subjunctive posted:

yeah this is true but i mean a situation where you can afford to get a more-than-medical replacement eye, but don't have the €$200 to get virtuality installed or w/e. Like bare empty cybereye with no mods is... a medical eye but more expensive? Other than limbs the bare rear end base foundational cyberwear seems to have no meaningful change except as a humanity and money sink.

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, they did reword how humanity loss works in this edition vs the older editions. In RED the only things that explicitly cost humanity is when you are getting chrome that goes above and beyond what would be considered standard human potential. A mundane cybernetic arm / eye/ect that just mimics basic meat function and nothing beyond that pretty explicitly doesn't have a humanity cost. The same goes for biosculpting. If you want to upgrade to biosculpted hulk arms that let you rip car doors off their hinges there's a humanity cost associated with that the same as if you got robot arms that do the same thing. That does allow for things that are a lot more progressive in RED compared to 2020 or 2013 - Gender cofirmation in RED has no humanity cost when it did in 2020/2013 for example.

Also keep in mind that humanity therapy is a thing in this edition that really wasn't there in the old versions too. It won't completely recoup the humanity loss but on a long enough timeframe you can get to where it's basically the same as rolling a 1 for every d6 of humanity loss you would of accrued, which makes a huge difference.

And yeah, medical grade baseline eyes cost 50. They also can't do things like agent integration, thermal vision, telescopic zoom, ect like the Cybereyes can.

That was pretty cool, and I'm glad they did those changes, but calling it humanity when it's really sanity is... eh? It sort of implies that characters who have zero cyberware and get hooked on black lace or w/e and go fully nuts are less human when they're really just less sane. No idea what other word captures both the "general sanity" component and the "not a fully borg'd machine brain psycho" component.

--------------------------

one character i was thinking was a solo who just does not use any ranged weapons and basically starts with nearly no gear or outfit at all, except whats in their bod.
so if you're complete package fully detailed making a character you get $2550 + $800 for fashion or fashionwear only, and any of the fashion budget that isn't used during creation is lost.
    Sooo,
  • Biomonitor
  • chemskin
  • techhair
  • light tattoo x3
  • premium shoes + pants
wipes out your fashion budget and leaves you with 2 fashonware slots for later.
    and
  • Skinweave
  • Vampyres
  • Neural link
  • Chipware Socket
  • Cyberleg x2
  • Olfactory Boost
  • Tactile Boost
then
1 poison vial

leaves you with i think 50 bones. You could probably juggle this to switch the pants for patterned cyberlegs and maybe a jacket or whatever, or cheap out to get actual clothes. Swapping the teeth for something else means it'd be a bit of a waste to pick up poison right off the bat, but if you go with the teeth then you can socket the poison vial into your mouth and the only loose items you'd have would one relatively expensive chip and a little cash. Maybe grab a carryall and some duct tape or something. That inflatable bed? Camping equipment? You wouldn't even start with an agent but screw it, get a burner phone or just skip it.

For the average campaign or w/e you start living in a shipping container and eating kibble, so you don't have to fully go on your own hyper cyber homeless "everything i have is my bod," but it could be a fun character concept. I'd probably try to get the GM to let me have a little more money by straight up being homeless, and then immediately slamming that cash into more cyberware. Skillwise I'm thinking like relatively high martial arts, tracking, but also wardrobe, hence the few but high quality clothes. If this character was a chick she'd probably be hard assed enough to just ngaf about being tits out or not, or maybe the augs are the "clothes," or juggle it around for what works out for how you want them to be.

I think it's a good base for someone who is hard dedicated and would have literally no possessions beyond what lets them be a complete badass and being stylish as hell.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im planning a campaign and my plan is to just chop off half the cyberpsychosis mechanics. No empathy reduction for skill checks, no "roll 2d6 for ptsd", no enforcement of psychopath symptoms. Im keeping the therapy mechanic and cyberware limits but Im just going to handwave it away as physical therapy or something, all the players know its only staying in as a game balancing mechanic anyways and that crap isnt going to be the focus of this or any campaign, so its not a big deal if things arent entirely coherent on that front.

Im going to compensate by encouraging my players to be callous psychotic dickheads anyways

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I dunno I think the empathy loss is actually a decent mechanic. It only affects two skills and if they're committed murder hobos anyway they probably aren't gonna care about those checks too much.

Traumatic event loss I would limit to if players insisted on doing something hosed up, I wouldn't be purposefully filling the game with nightmare scenarios.

Psycho symptoms are something I could see only really working out depending on your players and I'd maybe pull poo poo like "ok new session recap, but wait C. wakes up not remembering anything from the last few hours oh poo poo here's a screamsheet about a psycho I'm sure it's not related," or maybe start having random people at the bodega increasingly side eye them and obviously bail out whenever they're around.

If you could somehow engineer a situation where a media is doing a report on psychos and the party member is the real actual subject of all these rumors that could be a good one.

So did you read that screamsheet about the fancy neo Italian restaurant, and the one shot job they had attached to it? If I was running one I would throw out that sheet but have a totally different angle for the job.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also keep in mind that unless you're explictly buying borgware or you're starting with like 3 humanity baseline or you've got 8 different quick release cyberarms or something it's actually quite hard to hit that psycho point and you have options to walk it back.

The way I view it, the humanity isn't just about the 'going above and beyond human potential', it's the fact that society is so hosed up and bad that you need to do this to survive and the isolating and dehumanizing impact that would have on you. It's one thing to have a literal hand cannon, it's another to know that you are purposely removing a part of your body to get said hand cannon as a matter of life and death and that it is going to be used.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got really super-duper into the video game and my LGS had one copy of RED left and I bought it. How do I play? Does anyone wanna play?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Bust Rodd posted:

I got really super-duper into the video game and my LGS had one copy of RED left and I bought it. How do I play? Does anyone wanna play?

I dunno how to play for sure! I do wanna play tho hell yeah!
Start with the part where it says how to roll a character, and then it's pretty much going through the section that's like "How to Get Things Done" and it explains how to move around and how to shoot and stuff like that.

Out of the youtubes I've seen it looks like the people are either sort of bad at describing stuff in video, seem to be kinda bad at the game itself, or started their campaigns and characters with a preliminary version of the rules that obviously were kind of outdated. There's one called something like "Cyberpunk Red Conspiracy" where episode zero is them making characters, which I think has some kinda steps that I don't see in the book, and then in episode 1 one of the hosed up chars they made gets gruesomely downed and is bleeding out. After watching a good amount of that (the unabridged whole episodes are like 60 hours or something insane), it's cool to see stuff in the book and be like "Oh yeaaah i get that now, or ok the gm was sorta just playing it by ear real hard."

This is why I was confused about cyberarms not noticibly giving any bonus to rolls for things like forcing locks and stuff like that. Obviously having cyber arms shouldn't mean you can lift a dumptruck and hurl it off the highway, but I do feel like baseline cyber installs that don't have extra options slotted in should at least give something that's more than normal. If you only lose humanity for things that can make you more than a human, then everything that has a listed humanity cost should give you something that's more than human, even if it's not anything super amazing.

There's a section about netrunning, automated defenses, and setting up your own net architecture. Setting up your own system is both insanely expensive and pretty involved, and there's a lot of interesting stuff. For example:
Type        | Description                                                    | Default Trigger     | Data
------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+---------------------+------------------------------------
Observation | These cameras can see in Low Light, Infrared, and UV,          | Target enters room. | 5HP
Cameras     | and report images for a Demon or security personnel to act on. |                     | Perception DV17 to spot
            | DV9 Electronics/Security Tech, 1 min to counter.               |                     | Can see one entire room or corridor
------------+----------------------------------------------------------------+---------------------+------------------------------------
Mini        | Mini Air Drones are equipped with 1 of the following:          | Target enters area  | 6 MOVE • 15 HP
Air Drone   | • Dartgun with 8 Poison Arrows                                 | without wearing     |
            | • Very Heavy Pistol with 8 Armor Piercing Bullets              | proper pass         | Perimeter of defended area
            | • Observation Cameras                                          | or badge            |
            | DV17 Electronics/Security Tech, 5 min to counter.              |                     |

it says the cost of defense things, like auto turrets and drones and security cams, etc, are based on the DV of an electronic security check that it would take to defeat them:
DV  9 |    500eb (Expensive)
DV 13 |  1,000eb (V. Expensive)
DV 17 |  5,000eb (Luxury)
DV 21 | 10,000eb (Super Luxury)

So... I think you could try and claim that security cam costs 500 becuase it can be beat by DV9, and then claim a lovely drone costs the same amount because it could be beat by DV9, but I don't think it's supposed to be interpreted like that. I think an actual air drone costs five grand because for one, it's gonna be a Serious Business Corp buying and using those things, and for two, you can mount a camera inside a drone, and it doesn't make sense that even a lovely drone hull is the same as a camera mount.

The reason I'm looking at this is because I was eyeballing the way Techs can invent new stuff, and in order to figure out how difficult and how much it would cost in materials and time to design and fabricate a new thing is directly related to how much the building blocks cost. And the reason I was looking at that was because I was curious to see how much effort it would take for a Tech to create a new kind of drone, and the reason I was looking at that is because escorting a Tech with a rare prototype could be a cool job, but just how rare and desirable would the prototype be? Cause that directly impacts the pay and difficulty of the job.

I think i have a good idea on how to figure this out and make it seem realistic in the setting, and also I'm now convinced that if you want you could make a Tech who is so mad at having been kicked out of pilot school during chargen they're gonna build their own goddamn helicopter and it's gonna have grabby arms and walkin' feet and I'll show you assholes who the real hot shot is :argh:

Another neat thing: all real serious size helicopters now seem to be osprey style tiltrotor craft that fold up their wings, and normal airplanes and stuff are pretty much extinct because of how expensive they are to maintain. Zepplins made a huge comeback tho. If you have max rank in Nomad role ability you can call in the Hindenborg to be a mobile base.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 8, 2021

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

DeathSandwich posted:

I do feel like they went a little screwy with the cost vs. capabilities of cyberware, particularly the base elements. Right now the only benefit for a basic non-medical cyberlimb is slightly higher base damage punching people, and that only if you're relatively weak. And that's the high end; there's literally no benefit to getting cybereyes/cyberaudio or neural implants, you waste a bunch of humanity for absolutely no effect unless you spend additional $$ filling in options. If humanity is supposed to be a cost from stepping away from human-normal, then things that cost humanity should have some sort of base improvement over the organic version to justify it. I can't help but think it's something of a legacy carryover from 2020, where I seem to recall the costs worked out a little better for cyberware, but it gets kind of crazy expensive fast to get any improvement over standard. Where's the temptation to sacrifice humanity for power when it costs too much just to have parity? Hell, there are options where the cyber version can be easily achieved with regular gear; cybereyes barely compete with smart glasses, and the same with a lot of cyberaudio options vs. buying the equivalent device. It's outright worse for Netrunner gear to use cyber implants: 2 cybereyes + 2x virtuality implants = $400 to just spending $100 for goggles, and depending on how you read the cyberdeck implant rules for cyberarms ("A Cyberdeck must be provided by the user at the time of installation") you have to spend an additional $500 (or $1000 if you count the base price of the cyberarm in the extra!) to get something near equivalent to just buying the deck itself. Near as I can tell you'd be out a minimum $2400 to make a Netrunner with cyber versions of their base gear vs. $1600 for non-cyber i.e. you can't afford it as a starting character pretty much, especially since that doesn't include any programs or deck options. One extra cyberdeck option does not balance against that massive cost in humanity and money. Cyberware either needs to be a lot more impactful to justify the cost (things like chyron should be outright built into base cybereyes and the double cost for both eyes thing doesn't need to be, and similar upgrades/automatic options for other base implants) or they should make it a lot cheaper in $$ minimum even if they want to keep the humanity costs where they are.

And while we're on the subject of strangely costly cyberware, I must be sure to take this opportunity to make fun of the fact a Mr. Studd does as much of a number on your sanity as replacing an arm or a leg. Sure it's not like I can't see the argument of it having an obvious unnatural change in human capacity; hell, being able to say "Erection lasting more than four hours? Working as intended!" has more reasonable impact than the aforementioned bare bones cyberarm does. But man, I can't help but imagine some PC out there who got one unlucky 12 and managed to drop to cyberpsychosis putting one in. He'd have to be so low already the logic would be something like "I might be a cold hearted violent killer but THIS will make the guys and/or ladies love me!", but still, the hilarity that would ensue. In-world I originally thought it would make the kind of story Max-Tac would laugh about for years to come, but then I considered the likely terrible ideas PCs would put into such an implant, especially with some Tech with high Invention abilities and no sanity of their own ("Dear God, who would make one of those SPRAY ACID?!!!" :gonk:) and concluded it would be more likely a whispered horror story that makes even those Max-Tac nuts get a thousand yard stare.

Overall Red is an definite improvement over 2020, but it does need to walk a little further away from its progenitor I think. Also for anyone who's considering taking the rules to the 2077 setting, I have to recommend the World of Cyberpunk 2077 book; in addition to artwork it has a lot of interesting world-building detail on the differences in baseline society from 2020/Red and some of the history between those times and 2077.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There's a section about netrunning, automated defenses, and setting up your own net architecture. Setting up your own system is both insanely expensive and pretty involved, and there's a lot of interesting stuff. For example:
Type        | Description                                                    | Default Trigger     | Data
Observation | These cameras can see in Low Light, Infrared, and UV,          | Target enters room. | 5HP
Cameras     | and report images for a Demon or security personnel to act on. |                     | Perception DV17 to spot
            | DV9 Electronics/Security Tech, 1 min to counter.               |                     | Can see one entire room or corridor
Mini        | Mini Air Drones are equipped with 1 of the following:          | Target enters area  | 6 MOVE • 15 HP
Air Drone   | • Dartgun with 8 Poison Arrows                                 | without wearing     |
            | • Very Heavy Pistol with 8 Armor Piercing Bullets              | proper pass         | Perimeter of defended area
            | • Observation Cameras                                          | or badge            |
            | DV17 Electronics/Security Tech, 5 min to counter.              |                     |

it says the cost of defense things, like auto turrets and drones and security cams, etc, are based on the DV of an electronic security check that it would take to defeat them:
DV  9 |    500eb (Expensive)
DV 13 |  1,000eb (V. Expensive)
DV 17 |  5,000eb (Luxury)
DV 21 | 10,000eb (Super Luxury)

So... I think you could try and claim that security cam costs 500 becuase it can be beat by DV9, and then claim a lovely drone costs the same amount because it could be beat by DV9, but I don't think it's supposed to be interpreted like that. I think an actual air drone costs five grand because for one, it's gonna be a Serious Business Corp buying and using those things, and for two, you can mount a camera inside a drone, and it doesn't make sense that even a lovely drone hull is the same as a camera mount.

Doesn’t that say that the drone requires DV17 to beat, so it would be 5,000eb? Or are you inventing a crappier drone which only require DV9? I think a cheap lovely drone variant could make sense (worse camera and worse HP along with lower DV, frequent recharge, whatever), just because commoditization can distort cost structures weirdly and a lot of price is about brand and demand more than BOM amounts anyway.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That makes sense. My gut reaction was "nah no way if you want a drone you gotta pay the 5 grand," but it actually makes a lot more sense that a junky crapo drone would be on the market. Even that one would be more useful than no drone in a lot of cases, so yeah that's a better way to handle it for people who just want to set up some kind of basic security system.

But a Tech should be able to fabricate a normal one for 1,000 if they've got the skills, although requirements seem to be pretty high. I think you'd need to beat a dv29 and it would take a whole month to assemble.

The savings of 4 grand is pretty well matched to income from jobs they could otherwise be doing in that time, if they can take the boredom.
    Pretty much my idea was:
  • a cool job could be escorting a Tech with something super valuable, maybe a drone with a bunch of crazy poo poo invented into it
  • what would the actual value of this cybercrate with the prototype be? and the capabilities of the thing? that would determine what kind of enemies and what the pay might be, and a bunch of narrative stuff
  • Actually stepping through the invention process would give something like the value of the thing, but also describe what kind of Tech could roll good enough make it, and what their personality and skills would be like

For a thought experiment, ok, lets start by merging a basic radio communicator and radio scanner, and the GM is hog wild for mad science and will let us go as far as mechanically possible. That makes sense as something plausible and it's a $100+50 = premium + costly, so I think this would be DV17 to invent it? Assuming that works, the book says the GM calls the shots on how much it costs, and the cheapest an invented object can be is expensive (!?) but it seems kind of dumb to say this combined unit is suddenly worth $500. Sure fine, I suppose that means it could be fabricated for $100.

So then it could also make sense to say alright now I'm going to take that and add in a scrambler/descrambler. This is two 500 items and you gotta beat DV21. The end result is plausibly worth $1000 I suppose, because it's a lot of loose electronics merged into one compact efficient package, or something along those lines.

Can I follow this all the way down and say I want to merge in an agent and a homing tracer, to basically create something similar to the Nomad upgrade option of installing a communications center, but as like one portable package unattached to a car? That seems reasonable enough.

And then cram this thing into a drone and create a kind of wide area secure coms drone? I figure if it has an agent it should be smart enough to be able to follow its owner around and take simple commands, and report in like "ok boss the tracker beacon is at xyz coordinates, I'll stay within the tracking range as best I can." And the party could theoretically spread out to about double the normal comms range because the drone should probably be smart enough to act as a relay. This could be useful if you were gonna do an ambush, or were searching for something in the desert, or going to blow up two parts of a rail line at the same time to trap a train and rob it. Things like that, in places where agents don't have access to the normal communications networks so you can't just all get on a group chat about your crimes.

Where would a reasonable GM cut this off? If I was then like, "you know, this drone could really use a video camera slapped on so the party could tell it to get within visual range," would the agent be good enough for this seemingly small addition or would I have to roll to try and cram a Media-style video camera or even a security camera into it? Because at that point you have something similar to a spy drone which might have more capability than just a normal sentry drone, yet it doesn't require a network architecture to run because supposedly it's ran by a dedicated agent.

Yet the drone is actually pretty slow and can only move at the speed of a fast human, so it's not like it's something completely insane, and it does have to get power from somewhere if it's not meshed into an architecture it can return to and recharge. It's just sussing out the limits to this whole thing with your GM I guess.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Oh hey, I kept deliberating on making one and didn't notice this thread got made after all.
Our RED game is supposed to start... soon. Was going to be today, but "civil unrest in dystopic America" is a bit of a rough thing to field for recreation these last 48 hours. This weekend we should actually be underway.

"Reclaiming" (stealing) an old SovOil ship off the coast of Night City to immediately be repurposed. Solo, Fixer, Media, Rocker(girl), and Techie. Going to be interesting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I dunno how to play for sure! I do wanna play tho hell yeah!
Start with the part where it says how to roll a character, and then it's pretty much going through the section that's like "How to Get Things Done" and it explains how to move around and how to shoot and stuff like that.

Out of the youtubes I've seen it looks like the people are either sort of bad at describing stuff in video, seem to be kinda bad at the game itself, or started their campaigns and characters with a preliminary version of the rules that obviously were kind of outdated. There's one called something like "Cyberpunk Red Conspiracy" where episode zero is them making characters, which I think has some kinda steps that I don't see in the book, and then in episode 1 one of the hosed up chars they made gets gruesomely downed and is bleeding out. After watching a good amount of that (the unabridged whole episodes are like 60 hours or something insane), it's cool to see stuff in the book and be like "Oh yeaaah i get that now, or ok the gm was sorta just playing it by ear real hard."

TormentedByGnomes had a prerelease copy when that started in the summer, but strangely was NDA’d so he couldn’t share the rule book with the players until red was released.

It’s worth watching, it’s a lot of fun and there are clowns.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Switched my group (I'm the DM) from DnD to CP: RED and everyone seems to enjoy it way more.

In DND, it seemed players just hyper focused on combat engagements and basically murdering everyone.

In CPRED, the players literally spent more time planning and arguing over the way they would sneak into a warehouse and steal a car. The 'real world' nature of the game seems to contextualize more and allow the players to more easily think outside the box than DND.

Also helps I found a guy on Patreon that makes the most beautiful webm maps I have ever seen for playing on a VTT. Also splicing in Fury Weekend as the ambient soundtracks for the players.

Crazy amounts of fun, each session is amazing

The players learned after the first encounter that combat loving sucks, when the SOLO took 3/4 damage and basically had to spend a week in a hospital bed to recover after their first job went sour.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does this game play well over webcam?

Sorry, I’m very limited in my TTRPG experience, I’ve only ever played WotC or White Wolf games before, but I want to know if there are supplemental I need like a DM screen.

Does this game benefit from larger or more intimate parties? Would a group of 2-3 people be able to accomplish much or do you need 4-5 to really fully explore party dynamics and tactics?

Oh gently caress are there cyberpunk minis?

Molrok
May 30, 2011

RTalsorianGames on twitter has a thread (in this case, for the Netrunners Interface) on how to convince your GM to allow for Complementary Skills (p130 in da rules) for that sweet +1 to a skill check with the power of RP.

https://twitter.com/RTalsorianGames/status/1347227182054207491

Gonna put all points into accounting to undermine everyone with the power of deducing your spending habbits from tax records.

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh gently caress are there cyberpunk minis?

Monster Fight Club has a official lineup: https://www.monsterfightclub.com/shop?Collection=Cyberpunk+RED and they got that miniatures based skirmish combat game set in RED coming out.

Also on chrome: IDK if I'm blind but cyberware with installation humanity cost will drop your MAX humanity by 2 (borgware by 4) and this is ONLY mentioned on the Therapy table on p230. So no borging up, speding a year in therapy and then borging up more until you turn into Adam Smasher while keeping your MAX humanity from character creation. (uninstalling the offensive chrome will get you back up, as per the Therapy table)

Molrok fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 8, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Molnija posted:

RTalsorianGames on twitter has a thread (in this case, for the Netrunners Interface) on how to convince your GM to allow for Complementary Skills (p130 in da rules) for that sweet +1 to a skill check with the power of RP.

https://twitter.com/RTalsorianGames/status/1347227182054207491

Gonna put all points into accounting to undermine everyone with the power of deducing your spending habbits from tax records.

Monster Fight Club has a official lineup: https://www.monsterfightclub.com/shop?Collection=Cyberpunk+RED and they got that miniatures based skirmish combat game set in RED coming out.

Wow, that's... Really, really generous on what's "allowed" to boost checks. Overly so, almost. Maybe my Media will actually be useful on this first run after all outside of "doing Media things on a war relic".

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Double posting for a question, oops. The lack of value for empty "real" cyberware (vs medical equivalent thereof) has already been discussed. Is there really any ware that the starting 500 discretionary budget for package-based character creation can get that's actually worth it? It seems like most of the base ware modules go into is that expensive short of individual eyes, not really giving a ton of room from there, and ware you can't afford on the starting budget is also easily replaced with external equipment by the time you can... I'm not necessarily looking at this from any role perspective (though I'm a Media), just generally.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

Double posting for a question, oops. The lack of value for empty "real" cyberware (vs medical equivalent thereof) has already been discussed. Is there really any ware that the starting 500 discretionary budget for package-based character creation can get that's actually worth it? It seems like most of the base ware modules go into is that expensive short of individual eyes, not really giving a ton of room from there, and ware you can't afford on the starting budget is also easily replaced with external equipment by the time you can... I'm not necessarily looking at this from any role perspective (though I'm a Media), just generally.

Enhanced Antibodies is 500 eddies and doubles your recovery, incase you get hurt alot.
Skin Weave is a hidden SP7 armor, also at 500eb, and covers your entire body incase your group is a stickler about armor and clothing for RP stuff.

You might set up a interview as a media to scope out a corpo location and then the reception calls security to escort this milsurp poser out if you show up wearing heavy duty armor.
This is ofc very heavily dependant on how your group treats armor in general, is it easily concealed clothing OR latest tacticool from Militech that spells out "gonna light this town up"? Ask around your tablebuddies + GM and find out.

Molrok fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 8, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well, anyone who has cyberaudio can get the other two options filled out pretty cheap just using the cash they have in chargen, they seem to have the most flexibility.

Cybereyes have some stuff like you could add in a target scope or teleoptics or video camera if you're willing to dump your entire funds into it. Chyron, color shift, and micro optics could be slotted in if you don't already have them. You could grab another eye and anti-dazzle, or just another one and wait until you have enough cash to install a more expensive paired option.

Lawmen don't have any foundational cyberware and would maybe want to stick to more internal/external augs, or the kind of thing that can be implanted into a meat limb if they want additional cyberware. I could see a cop wanting to get nasal filters and toxin binders, or going for broke and getting enhanced antibodies. Or you could get the foundational ware and no options for it.

Solo / Netrunner / Nomad all start with neural links and that type pretty much has 500 prices for additional options, so you could get a chipware socket with no chips, or speedware if you don't have one, or a braindance recorder, or interface plugs if you don't have them. Subdermal grips are cheap for these guys. If they somehow end up running into a cybered up vehicle and have interface plugs you can drive hands free while leaning out the window to shoot, that's something that could happen.

Pretty much it seems like you're not gonna be getting deep into ultra cyber right off the bat unless you're willing to ditch the starter gear you normally have, or

Running out of cash? posted:

Starting to look over the list of cyberware and thinking: "I don't have the kind of eurobucks I need to swing this tech,"? At this point, you have to ask yourself: "How desperate am I? Am I really hard up enough to risk death and dismemberment just to get a lousy cyberarm?"

Sure you are. The truly desperate turn to desperate measures. In this case, you can hire yourself out to someone who can afford to buy your cybernetics for you. At your GM's discretion, selecting any one of the following employers at Character Generation will swing you 1500eb in cyberware in addition to an installation of mandatory Neural Link cyberware, free-of-charge, assuming you can convince everyone else playing at your table to also take advantage of this attractive employment opportunity.
The options are "Join the (covert) Military," "Take up a life of organized crime," "Sell out to a corporation." And there's a catch. This potentially changes the campaign pretty seriously.

If I was GMing I would let a Media sell their video camera and install an eyeball + MicroVideo, assuming they used their whole 500 for it. Same with 500 for an arm + they picked grapple gun to get arm & grapple hand.

I could see that being useful and covert. The arm would let you later on get a shoulder cam and it can be aimed wherever you want while your hands and eyes do something else. Then you have one slot left for later on something small in that arm like a non-popup weapon or emp shielding. I could see the shielding being good if you absolutely have to get the video evidence even if they're blasting you with electrons that would fry a normal everyday video camera.

The eye you can eventually save up enough to do both eyes and get some of the pretty decent paired options, or even just put a teleoptics into the camera eye to really zoom the gently caress in. You could clearly see and record from almost a km away with that.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pretty much it seems like you're not gonna be getting deep into ultra cyber right off the bat unless you're willing to ditch the starter gear you normally have, or
The options are "Join the (covert) Military," "Take up a life of organized crime," "Sell out to a corporation." And there's a catch. This potentially changes the campaign pretty seriously.

This seems like a no brainer: Join military, get silver arm replacement.

edit: Question: Would cyberpunk work as a play by post or is that too much of a reach?

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 8, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Also keep in mind that unless you're explictly buying borgware or you're starting with like 3 humanity baseline or you've got 8 different quick release cyberarms or something it's actually quite hard to hit that psycho point and you have options to walk it back.

The way I view it, the humanity isn't just about the 'going above and beyond human potential', it's the fact that society is so hosed up and bad that you need to do this to survive and the isolating and dehumanizing impact that would have on you. It's one thing to have a literal hand cannon, it's another to know that you are purposely removing a part of your body to get said hand cannon as a matter of life and death and that it is going to be used.

On the other hand, installing a med scanner on your already-existing cyber arm is equivalent to having PTSD. Your character may have been barely keeping it together but now that they can diagnose the common cold, theyve realized the only effective vaccination is murder

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Boiled Water posted:

This seems like a no brainer: Join military, get silver arm replacement.

edit: Question: Would cyberpunk work as a play by post or is that too much of a reach?

A military campaign could be an interesting one, and you could fit all the rolls into a military equivalent I think.

I dunno if it's possible to make red work as play by post. You've got to have maps and move the characters around, and I think it could be pretty hard to do if people are bullshitting around.

My gbs rpg is thread based and all the rolls are in discord, but scenes are just an abstract area and positioning is abstract. Characters can dip in and out freely -- it's gonna suck if someone gets probated or can't log in in the middle of a fight.

I do initiative in the order people post their actions and then if they try to go hog wild I do the first one and hang on to the others like a queue so everyone gets their turn. Either the extras get dropped as the situation changes or I roll it together and try to do a whole turn as one post.

Maybe it could work completely in forums if the GM was good at setting up forums friendly maps? You know "move to A3, shoot pistol at B6, move to A5." If someone set up a test game or whatever I'd roll a character and help figure out what works.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Control Volume posted:

On the other hand, installing a med scanner on your already-existing cyber arm is equivalent to having PTSD. Your character may have been barely keeping it together but now that they can diagnose the common cold, theyve realized the only effective vaccination is murder

2d6 may be a bit much to adding stuff to an existing arm but it’s not hard to imagine that each time you upgrade your body as if it was a PC or car that makes you feel less connected to your humanity.

Besides coming up with the bizarre 1 in a thousand scenario that rolling straight 6s and tanking your humanity represents is part of the fun of an rpg, right.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The final punishment for tanking your humanity is relinquishing control of the character to the GM, so not really

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Control Volume posted:

"Jesus Christ you mean I had my arm lopped off to become a human thermostat? So I can sit at this doorway and tell people 'I'm sorry you can't come in here because you're running a fever'? Why did people decide this is what they wanted to do to themselves?

I'll show them what I think of this. I'll show them all."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah plus a decent GM isn't gonna just be letting you go nutso and pulling your char. They should start warning you and figuring out ways to help keep you from going over the line and stay in the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

2d6 may be a bit much to adding stuff to an existing arm but it’s not hard to imagine that each time you upgrade your body as if it was a PC or car that makes you feel less connected to your humanity.

I was thinking about having more elite ripperdocs roll 2d4 or 1d6 for HUM loss on the basis that they would provide more therapy and support during the implantation, but I like this angle more. Shorter campaigns are more fun anyway.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Is Cyberpunk 2020 allowed in this thread, or only the new edition?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Go for it, IMO.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Yeah plus a decent GM isn't gonna just be letting you go nutso and pulling your char. They should start warning you and figuring out ways to help keep you from going over the line and stay in the game.

Best I can say is this - Remember those three rules I quoted in the first post? There's a fourth:

quote:

Break the Rules.

If you don't like it, change it.

If you don't want to put humanity loss on baseline cyberlimbs? Don't. Mike Pondsmith isn't going to come hold a gun to your head and make you strike that humanity off your players sheets.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I was thinking about having more elite ripperdocs roll 2d4 or 1d6 for HUM loss on the basis that they would provide more therapy and support during the implantation, but I like this angle more. Shorter campaigns are more fun anyway.

Techs can upgrade cyberware to reduce the humanity loss by 1d6 if would be 2d6 or greater.

e: misread the rules

Lima fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 9, 2021

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

DeathSandwich posted:

Best I can say is this - Remember those three rules I quoted in the first post? There's a fourth:

If you don't like it, change it.

If you don't want to put humanity loss on baseline cyberlimbs? Don't. Mike Pondsmith isn't going to come hold a gun to your head and make you strike that humanity off your players sheets.

Yeah that's true. I think psychosis should be in, and wanna actually play a good amount before deciding if I'd rather it work different. I feel like foundational implants should cost humanity and should do something even if it's like +1 to visual or hearing perception. Limbs should give what they already give, but also some minor +1 athletics or w/e for certain checks.

Foundational neural link also should give something, although I'm not sure what. There should also be a reason to get only a cyberhand or foot if you don't want the whole limb.

mellonbread posted:

Is Cyberpunk 2020 allowed in this thread, or only the new edition?

quote:

Break the Rules.

--------------

So I already had a free account for Inkarnate and looking through it seems like it's not a particularly good system for making cyberpunk maps, unless you're able to upload textures and objects yourself. Then I decided to try dungeon fog (which honestly if i had realized i would have tried to grab an invite code to get some goon more map slots), and it's doable but the editor got angry when I tried to make a map 1000 units across.

If I can jerk around with this thing and get a decent result maybe I'll try to run a job if nobody else beats me to the punch.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Does the new edition have starting gear/cyberware suggestions, or some other quick build rules? Something like "take X package if you want your character to do Y"

Chargen in CP2020 was trivial, except for poring over the equipment list, which took longer than the rest of the process combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

mellonbread posted:

Does the new edition have starting gear/cyberware suggestions, or some other quick build rules? Something like "take X package if you want your character to do Y"

Chargen in CP2020 was trivial, except for poring over the equipment list, which took longer than the rest of the process combined.

I need to go back and look but I believe yes, quick character gen rules just give you a one and done list of starting gear and all you need to pick is cosmetics.