Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

My dream is to find or develop cyberware that lets me convert my body into a living sound system and use subsonic bass frequencies for hypnosis or combat maybe. I also want to kinda of become a tank, like not worry about dealing any damage, but I want armor and unbreakable bones and fireproof skin and regenerating organs and wolverine healing boosters.
Rust Chrome Bodd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
one thing that's kind of cool is that armorjack is named after ye olde armor of the same kind of type. That moderate level armor was called "jack" in some situations. Better than clothes, less than super serious armor.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So I caught the last ep of red sky city, their version of the ship mission, and i was actually super pumped with the way it turned out. This mission is a pretty big one and it took two sessions (episodes 11 & 12) and like probably five six hours for them to get through it.
(link to the channel, there's also a playlist of highlight reels i have not looked at cause i ended up boring through full eps)

Gnomes' players frustrate me cause they don't prep super greatly a lot of times, like their characters are kinda doofy in-game (not really in a bad way) and should probably be bringing food or like flashlights and and planning poo poo like that, but on the other hand they obviously have a lot of real life poo poo going on and gotta spend some time getting into game mode. I would absolutely be looting every possible thing not bolted down and then start breaking the bolts off, lol. Across the eps they've forgotten a ton of poo poo. Also I'm not a mega fan of some of the voice filters, the metal robot ones can get pretty extreme, but hey what are you gonna do?

I keep thinking how they're running into situations where having another role would be a big deal for them to get poo poo done. A media would probably be super strong with this campaign. Alternately maybe somebody should link them the pondsmith tweet about assist rolls, cause if they thought outside the box more maybe they'd be more successful. Or not so much more successful but maybe less stumped some times.

The players pulled off a "secret ending" style plan to totally gently caress up the whole GM scenario with the boat and it actually turned out really cool. I like the way he had some of the stuff set up, like there was a deck where the floor was grating, that was a cool idea, but what I really like is how he set up the final run to be a gauntlet of skill checks, that was awesome, and they CRUSHED basically every single roll, every single time, that was amazing. It was a super lovely situation and they absolutely pulled off a "who dares, wins" and I really hope those two guys are able to badger him into going out there and pulling off what would be an absolutely even more insane salvage mission, eventually.

From a larger strategic view, if they had been able to extract everything from the mainframe they'd probably have really substantial leg up for the entire campaign... if they had a way to download the entire contents of the uncorrupted data. With the amount of cash they had I think they could have swung bringing a network infrastructure with them, iirc the cheapest version you can get is actually in some way portable. If it had gone differently they also could have tried to use what they had available to get more out of the mission, like I would have rigged the sat phone as a remote uplink that could be left behind to retrieve data when they were prepared to store the huge volume of it, but they absolutely trounced that last part even though they had some fuckups early in the mission, and what works, works.

Also if I was reffing that game and if they had detonated the EMP I would have been a complete bastard and fried every piece of cyberware all of the PCs had, all at once. Welp the only guy with cybertech skills has two broken arms, you're a thousand miles out to sea and need to retrieve this 500lb canister, and you're all blind or have damaged neural uplinks, you guys should have thought this through mwhahaha.

Whenever I have a situation where I have players investigating a place I'm for sure doing the series of skill checks I have no idea why I never considered that before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Gnomes' players frustrate me cause they don't prep super greatly a lot of times,

I don’t think you get sideshow and bren

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
probably. my only exposure is through cyberpunk and this actual campaign, and "gently caress it we'll do it live" is actually fine. All I know is if presented with that situation is I'd be god damned to abandon all that at the bottom of the ocean, I'd be pumped to GET SERIOUS and get some kinda airlocks and poo poo and try and do expedition two to recover all that. Jim is so loving cowardly sometimes, but in a couple places he actually pulled through.

I do think it's funny af that Jerax is this character who's all over the place, shooting assault rifles with 0 skill and becoming a netrunner and waving anime swords all over. Trying to sell his own braindances and loving it up. It's a fun character, like how Fingers is a kinda sleazy rear end in a top hat who has certain skills like crypto or whatever which could be useful but doesn't even think to use them. Doing poo poo like in that first ep where Jerax slid down the hvac system is rad af, same as grappling that guy up the elevator, fuckin sweet.

Honestly these dweebs slamming back tallboys and accidentally knocking them into their computers irl is sorta too real, lol. Jim Fingers is a goddamn cowardly fuckin money man who is absolutely gonna get everything set up exactly like how he wants it, the fucker. I'm entirely too psyched to think they're gonna do phase 3 and keep streaming this bullshit so I can yell at my monitor.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Lifepaths: surprisingly difficult to fill out. Mostly the other characters. I've got the lifepath written out, I've got one shared enemy with another player, but I've got two days to figure out three friends and three tragic love affairs, and... wow am I bad at this sort of thing.

Any advice?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
well each block lifts the others. Did you try rolling to see what those fiends and lovers were like? Any chance they're friends or enemies of someone else? Maybe just NPCs that might come up in the campaign?

e: what's your role is it one where one of those people are currently or could have fit into the job path too? Like a tech who had a partner, or bandmates?

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 17, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

well each block lifts the others. Did you try rolling to see what those fiends and lovers were like? Any chance they're friends or enemies of someone else? Maybe just NPCs that might come up in the campaign?

e: what's your role is it one where one of those people are currently or could have fit into the job path too? Like a tech who had a partner, or bandmates?

Playing a Media, washed-up war reporter that settled down to document the rebuilding efforts in Night City. Rolled-up lifepath block (according to the book) ended up being, without narrative attached:

quote:

Cultural Origins: Eastern European (Ukrainian)
Personality: Friendly and outgoing
Dress & Style: Generic Chic/Tattoos
Motivations: Honor/I like almost everyone/Valued pet (this makes no sense)/Valued book
Background: Edgerunners/Reclaimer city/Long-term conspiracy, organization, or association
Friends: 3 (partner, former lover, like a parent)
Enemies: 1 (ex-friend, rejected their job offer, small corporation, revenge: set out to murder or maim)
Tragic Love Affairs: 3 (personal goal/vendetta, suicide, kidnapped)
Life goals: Live down your past life and try to forget it (??)

Media: Documentarian/Blog/Strong ethics
The "enemies" one has already been settled with another person; a disaster profiteer that tried enlisting August to cover up the poo poo they were doing to exploit people (and brought our solo in as an enforcer on it, where our contact came up at), August refused and put the truth out there with the consequences that entails. Friends and TLA are the tough bit of course. Media makes the "partner" one easy - someone else I worked with in the field or in the immediate aftermath, probably, or someone in the community I've kept working with. The rebuilding angle. TLA is really the hardest one IMO just because there's little to base it on.

The reason we're getting pushed to write all these up is so they can get potentially included, so making them relevant is an extra layer. Coordinating multiple people's friends/enemies is pulling teeth a lot of the time but thankfully one of those panned out at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I ordered the book. Don't know if I'm ever gonna get a chance to play/run, but it's gonna be a nice addition to my collection.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Who wants to kill who, with your enemy situation? Did they freaking kidnap your ex like a sicko? Is it possible the gm would let you merge the "vendetta came between you" and the "kidnapping" rolls into one more complicated situation?

Or you could make the former lover friend be the same one where personal goals rifted you apart, but you're still on good terms even though they're Totally The One who got away. In that case they could have a motivation that conflicts with yours like money or getting off the street or whatever.

Or you could make the kidnapped lover be because of something you were looking too strongly at or something you never were involved with at all. Maybe it's something you had no inkling of, they had a hidden part of their life, and you'll pick up a rumor about it with your role ability.

Any of these people could potentially be the same person for some of them, or they could all be totally unrelated and have never even heard of each other.

The parent-like friend could be from the local version of Ukrainetown or whatever church etc. Or it could be a fellow, older vet who you get beers with at Forlorn Hope & talk poo poo and get advice. Maybe your solo knows them.

How'd the suicide go out? Was there a funeral? Who else might have been there? That'll tell you a lot about who they were, and they were at least someone you were down for, so that's enough to build a basis.

The pet you can reroll or whatever, but where might you have picked up an animal that ended up being super important to you? Oh poo poo is it your lover tragically committed suicide and left a pet behind!? Could be a good excuse to pick up animal handing. If it's something smart enough and physically adaptable enough you might even actually get mechanical use out of it.

Oh man were you involved with a somewhat rich corpo who was trying to do some good from within the system and the humiliation of some terrible revealed secret drove them to suicide and now you have a for real loving dog or weird creature? Do you have the habit of feeding a specific bird or rat and it's always there to listen to your problems non judgementally?

Check over the rolls everyone else did and see if there's a way to socket their side characters into some link with yours. Is the tech supplying your media partner with bugs or something? Did somebody rip off the fixer or med tech?

MonsieurChoc posted:

I ordered the book. Don't know if I'm ever gonna get a chance to play/run, but it's gonna be a nice addition to my collection.

It's pretty decent. I'm gonna be interested to see if they keep coming out with more.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I still can't get over how much of this book was just lifted wholesale from Cyberpunk 2020. The artwork and overall quality of the book is a lot higher, but a lot of the book (and let's be honest, a lot of the rules) remind me of being back in high school. In the best possible way.

The fact that netrunning took a big step backwards really feels strange, though. They should have prefaced the chapter with "This is a concession to playability and makes very little sense in storyline." I'm biased, though, as a real-world IT person; the RABIDS thing seems so implausible. Am I alone in this?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

The fact that netrunning took a big step backwards really feels strange, though. They should have prefaced the chapter with "This is a concession to playability and makes very little sense in storyline." I'm biased, though, as a real-world IT person; the RABIDS thing seems so implausible. Am I alone in this?

computer bad is a perfectly good take to me

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I'm biased, though, as a real-world IT person; the RABIDS thing seems so implausible. Am I alone in this?
As a real world gun person the guns are pretty nonsense especially the shotgun implementation and the AP ammo implementation. And flamethrowers being literally just shotguns with incendiary ammo is ridiculous. So you're not alone in thinking that compromises were made to streamlin gameplay.

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

The fact that netrunning took a big step backwards really feels strange, though.
Yeah nah, I played literally thousands of hours of CP2020 in the 90s and netrunning licked bag back then. Now it's great, we have a netrunner and she takes her turns right alongside the rest. Far as I'm concerned it's a huge leap forward.

We've played a few sessions and my only complaint is the generic gear. But I got the big CP2020 PDF pack from Humble Bundle and have been slowly converting it all to RED. Even that complaint is pretty minor, we have a group that is made up of mostly complete TTRPG neophytes who are glad not to be overwhelmed by huge equipment lists.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I still can't get over how much of this book was just lifted wholesale from Cyberpunk 2020. The artwork and overall quality of the book is a lot higher, but a lot of the book (and let's be honest, a lot of the rules) remind me of being back in high school. In the best possible way.

Honestly the logic behind the Net change has some pretty big holes in it; it should be relatively easy to just build a separate network from the old stuff. My only speculation is what they have is the best they can do because too many AI worshippers or cost-cutting idiots keep putting in backdoors to the old one so you need to limit what can be done. As for the RABIDS thing, they were programmed by somebody who watched the original net be put in and did a little modifications of his own (so he had the equivalent of admin access to every copy of Windows to start), they came out at the same time as all the other corporate-released Net horrors so at the start they probably didn't stand out much from the general chaos, and after that... well, von Neumann propagation plus a programmer who probably put up exploits in the network itself for them to use can make something become a big problem, though I suspect they're only the most public face of why the old Net is dangerous (because it's easy to cast blame on the dead nut with few friends) and the all the other mentioned Corporate War era killer AIs and such do quite a good job on their own killing anyone dumb enough to poke their heads in the wrong places anyway.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah I feel like in order for the net to work like described there has to be some reason they can't or won't just unplug the old servers, to the point where they won't even shut them down and like forensically extract the valuable data and reformat everything. I guess you could say the smaller less connected network systems in Red are part of the process of building new gapped internets alongside recovering the old hardware and whatever, and it's just taking literal decades to do it. At least having a shitload of local networks carefully compartmentalized away from each other is a good idea if there's such an incredible danger to linking them together.

I was toying with the idea of making some script or whatever to convert gear from old books to Red and then burned out quick when I realized I couldn't remember poo poo. Not v cyberpunk of me but I think it could be done pretty well.

I think you could build a cool campaign around being archeologists and hunting for data in dangerous networks and salvaging weird old weapons and materials. Another neat detail is you can sill jack into systems old style without the AR goggles but you're effectively unconscious in meatspace if you do it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think you could build a cool campaign around being archeologists and hunting for data in dangerous networks and salvaging weird old weapons and materials. Another neat detail is you can sill jack into systems old style without the AR goggles but you're effectively unconscious in meatspace if you do it.

This was part of the premise of Cyberpunk 3.0.

In Red and 2077 my understanding is that the old Net is still around to connect cities to each other, but instead of being able to connect directly from your computer in Night City to any other computer in the world, you can only connect directly to stuff on the same small subnet that’s probably physically near you - same city or building. Connections between subnets exist and are routed over the old Net in a way similar to how VPNs travel over our real world internet. The AIs still play outside the VPN pipes but theoretically can’t break through, and data is inspected at both ends of a transfer between subnets to ensure no AIs are sneaking in. Turning off the old Net would kill the AIs but also destroy the connections between subnets, so every building in Night City would be cut off and isolated from its neighbors. Sure, a massive infrastructure investment could build a new Net and cut everything over to it, but that won’t make numbers go up for the corps and lol government in this setting.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was going to say, if you want to see IT magick, Cyberpunk 3.0 had that magical computer virus that created deep fakes of every modern historical event. I don't remember why.

There were some interesting ideas in 3.0, but it's no wonder why Pondsmith just junked it and declared it non-canon.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My RED book arrived in the mail today. :toot:

Is the story at the start a reprint?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

MonsieurChoc posted:

My RED book arrived in the mail today. :toot:

Is the story at the start a reprint?

Dunno. People in the 2077 thread in games were debating the differences between that story and Jonny's memories, pretty in depth.

I went back and watched the new Red Sky City episodes that I missed. Good that they finally got a media, but they sorta also need someone who's more the muscle side of the information front. They need a drat cop. Not just because it's the only role that they never had someone play as a guest or w/e but because they need someone who can run interrogations. But also cyber interrogations. Interrogate computers and poo poo. Some kind of special ops character could be a good pick for this, i would throw skill ranks in some kind of science related to working with AIs and mapping out infosystems.

But why would they be a lawman who could get backup? Because they're part of the secret counter conspiracy :tinfoil:, def not literally a cop!

This character could also be good with skills and cyberware that haven't been showcased yet, like having chipware slots, which would be super useful for an embedded agent type. Or things like lip reading and gear like the voice stress analyzer.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
In my current campaign we've absolutely backdoored an airgapped net to give an AI access, on two separate occasions.

I assume that's why they can't just turn off the Old Net - there's always someone stupid enough to push the scales in the other direction.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have to assume that there are dozens if not hundreds of solar powered satellites with independent repair systems that house servers maintained by the AI themselves. In as much as the internet could have ever been destroyed, I think it’s so thoroughly backed up and reinforced at this point in the timeline that its beyond the scope of humanity to end the net

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Woah! so the "Old Net" is much more dynamic than you'd at first imagine: it's not just old rear end servers everyone left on for some reason, it's long range hyperconnected systems where new nodes are constantly getting recruited back into just as often as old ones are decommissioned. The virus infections and AIs and all that will migrate old era data along with themselves just as much as they accumulate new data from the local nets.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I thought turning the old net off was doable, but no one wants to bear the cost of a new net

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
But it's also insanely unsafe to go into the old net because rabids, and you can't use it for anything other than to riskily extract data. Plus there's no reason to not build a new net parallel to the old one and get that utility back, except this isn't done at all.

New net, but safe, would let you charge some solid premiums, so it makes sense to me that you CAN'T do that because the monsters that live in the old net keep busting through somehow

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It makes more sense to me that humans would constantly reinfect the new net same as the old one so why bother? Basically the 2077 version of Devil worshippers, they have like USB sticks with utterly alien murder daemon AIs waiting to mulch up fresh internet

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
in that case there would be a strong money reason to find old net hardware, turn it off, extract whatever data you can get, and then reformat the thing or melt it for scrap or something. It actively takes energy and money to have the old net run, so something has to keep it active.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Right, that’s what I’m saying, is that the money/resources that keep the net going are, after all this time, probably just propped up by the AIs themselves. If there are human beings working as meat analogue agents for the AIs, I doubt that they’re the ones calling the shots, and more that they are like religious fanatics acting out the will of their digital gods, but if I were a benevolent and hungry AI that constantly needed new data and new servers and new programs to assimilate, I would simply find people with easy to manipulate digital resources, manipulate those resources to then curry their favor/enslave them, and voila now you have a cyberpunk AI cultist.

I dunno the setting makes more sense to me if the AIs are running the show and keeping the lights on, because otherwise I don’t see the promise of old data mining being enough of an incentive to outweigh the costs of just scrapping it

Also at this point in the timeline I refuse to believe that anti-digital separatists haven’t tried to destroy the Net multiple times at this point, which is why I’m left to assume that new hardware is being assimilated into the servers and power supplies at all times.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

E: watch the phase 3 eps of red sky City for more on your ideas ^^^^^

I have to say, I just got my book about a week ago.
Played 2020 a ton in hs, etc. So was dying for '77 (:/) and this.

Have to say thank you for the link to Red Sky City, of not thought to look for that since I don't follow or know these people from Adam outside of this and absolutely love, love, love it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 27, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They also had some good complementary skill checks at the end of the episode. i thought Jonah was a goner

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
That was a good run and in the next one they were like "whoops we forgot to kidnap todd," lol.

I hope if they survive they do a side campaign back to the sunken ship

Figuring out a way to get the powerful old dive suits from somewhere or other, actually get out there there could both be good little eps.

Make it fuckin horror show, terror from the deep. Who knows what kind of nightmares exist under the garbage patch? Plus you could do stuff like "oh drat the suits are like 30 years old and is starting to glitch." Or if you have a interface plugs they socket directly to the suit like a linear frame would. You could do things with cyberlimbs and stuff like that too, it'd basically be like a space mission for this team.

But really they should try and just fuckin steal a network infrastructure and hook it up to d4 and see what happens. You gotta figure 20 years of advancements mean they could extend its capabilities somehow some kind of way.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Dropped from my game, so no more progress updates, sorry. Red just isn't clicking, setting or mechanics, in any way I can do much with.
Glad it got the new edition regardless, even if it could have done... a lot differently.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Like what?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My obstacles are more setting than system, though I'm very much not a fan of the respective attempts to simplify the economy with fixed price tiers and 1:1 buy/sell (latter confirmed by FAQ) and combat through collapsing weapons into a handful of archetypes with obvious standouts head and shoulders above the rest. Mostly I'm running into the same issues as I did with Eclipse Phase previously - "cyberpunk future", I understand, I've got solid mental images for and can work with it. Easy to work on characters, environment, goals, all that. "Cyberpunk future, but actually pseudo post post apocalypse where half of night city is still basically rubble but we're all living here anyway, where the global economy is in tatters but we're still consumerist cyberpunk citydwellers chasing big bucks and big gear" is a lot of little steps outside of my mental framework for this sort of genre game that combine to put me well off balance, and RED on its own doesn't do a very good job of actually building that as its own setting (since of course 2077 is post rebuilding and 2020 didn't have any of 2040s NC). Maybe ss more books release they'll do more building out "average person life", but even with the life path system in place it's hard to get a feel for "average person's experiences", and hence hard to define characters diverging from that norm.

Just my views though. Appreciate that even if they still feel ill fitted, Rockers/Media/etc are still around and can still pull the campaign in directions other than "murder hobo for fun and profit". Nice to see in recent cyberpunk TTRPG content.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's no accounting for taste, but post-apoc and cyberpunk have always been joined at the hip, especially in film.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Fully agreed, this specific depiction just hasn't been clicking for me. Up to taste.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What do you mean by price tiers, how did that work out in your campaign? Got a link to the faq?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

What do you mean by price tiers, how did that work out in your campaign? Got a link to the faq?

There are no sublinks, but it's the 3.19 Mayor's Desk under "Selling Stuff". As far as price tiers, referring to the "cheap, expensive, very expensive, luxury" etc levels, where everything in the book by default gets some fixed bracket price tied to what "tier" of cost that's the same across everything in that tier. (I think the official term is "price categories"?) It's simple and straightforward to remember, but combining it with "everything sells for the same price it buys at" along with other unnecessary simplification just feels like wasted opportunities. But, uh, coming from a lot of Red Markets economy enthusiasm in my group (and my start-and-stopping F&F that happens to just now be reaching game economy) may be coloring our group's perspective.
Form of the question that that Mayor's Desk responds to did remind me of the petty complaint of how base cybernetics are handled (medical and nonmedical being completely separate and functionally identical, except one costs way more for nothing but drawbacks until you pay even more to plug things into it; just put the drawbacks on the extra things! These didn't need to be separate!), and certain enhancements like eye mods requiring pairs to work even where that doesn't make sense. Though maybe RTG haven't heard of eye patches. (Things like flash resistance do make sense, of course. I happened to be playing a Media and considered a single eye for camera's sake, but so little of the eye mods work with just one eye and do anything useful. Opted to just keep my external camera.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I agree with the cybernetics. Nonmedical I think should automatically get a +1 for rolls related to that piece, so literally just having a pair of legs should give you +2 on jumping across a gap, besides the fact that they already limit fall damage if you fail. If you want the REAL jump that drastically increases your leaps, yeah you need the paired jump implants.

I think legs are the only thing as-written that give any benefit that's not "I'm dipping my arm into this acid barrel and turn off the pain receptor or whatever." +2 on both legs or both arms or both eyes could be extreme, but it also encourages people to take crazy risks.

One thing that's cool about the shoulder cam is that you can hide it without having to roll a conceal, and I think it also tracks independently from whatever you're doing with your hands or eyes, so it seems like a straight upgrade tbh. I suppose the biggest benefit for the actual eyeball cam is recoding without people being instantly aware you've got them on vid.

But giving cyberware too many plusses could end up being pretty wild if your not careful. Smart guns getting +1, and getting +1 for scope eye, and getting +1 for high quality gun, and getting +1 for a complementary roll by the spotter with binoculars, and +luck, it all adds up to being a ton of investment for the players. At that point just give them the sniper shot? Dunno how it would play out all the time.

I feel like the price situation pretty much makes sense in the scrabbling get-by kind of life in Red. I also have just been assuming literally everything in the game has a crappier / normal / quality version just like guns do, and if you're running a library search on your lovely cheap agent and fail hard enough whoops you're gonna have to reboot the thing like it was a jammed gun.

I mean even cyberware, "I bought this cheap eyeball mod and it glitches the gently caress out sometimes." "Choom, fake it till you make it this insanely pricy chipware lets me fly a car like I actually know what the gently caress I'm doing. Oh no I'm being robbed."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

There are no sublinks, but it's the 3.19 Mayor's Desk under "Selling Stuff". As far as price tiers, referring to the "cheap, expensive, very expensive, luxury" etc levels, where everything in the book by default gets some fixed bracket price tied to what "tier" of cost that's the same across everything in that tier. (I think the official term is "price categories"?) It's simple and straightforward to remember, but combining it with "everything sells for the same price it buys at" along with other unnecessary simplification just feels like wasted opportunities.

...Just...don't do that then?

Make your world one where nobody wants your lovely rear end used pistol and only wants to give you 60 eddies for it, or one where the Agent your techie modified to have an LED light-show incorporated tickle's someone's fancy so they toss them an extra 50. 100. Whatever. Maybe it breaks later and they get pissed.

Pretty sure CP as a system has always intended the GM to just...do whatever felt right and BS their way through anything they felt like. I understand wanting to use the mechanics as provided to 'stick to the system', but if it isn't working for you, just...don't?
I played in a 2020 campaign where one of the players was full body mod 'Incredible Hulk', complete with green skin, the whole 9 yards, and RP'd him that way the whole campaign. That's not exactly in or by the book. It still worked out (sorta. He died gutting himself on broken glass on a shot out back window of a truck, locking his arms around my neck to reach the steering wheel and in the process drove us off a cliff... that's another story. But still, that's not exactly in the book either, and still 'do-able'.)

imo it's a lot more fun when you make a roll against a DV (or whatever) and either you or your GM goes "Hmmm" and makes up a load of bullshit rather than consulting a hard and fast table and pushes up their nerd-glasses to say "oh well, it says HERE that..."

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
So Red Sky City is apparently game over'd. At least wrapped up for the time being.
    I got a few hot takes on how they done it:
  • gnomes is probably a better gm than me in a couple of ways. In this last ep he also pulled the same poo poo that he pulled in the tanker mission -- how they swam through dangerous hell zones and he did the skill check gauntlet -- that's a good way of solving that situation. I like how he pulled the cave diving thing, it was a real life situation that intuitively applies. At the same time this happened early in the mission instead of later, and maybe he could have been better telling them it was gonna be like that before hand, idk. "Hey you can buy ropes or buy glow in the dark duct tape?"
  • i make it a point to try and maintain coherence, which gnomes also seems to do in some level, but holy poo poo these guys showed up heavily unprepared and even then they loving sidways hosed up the story by just chucking grenades instantly and using their prep to re angle the final mission to avoid a ton of stuff. He handled it well and i dunno what i may have done differently tbh. I do like the way he was able to kind of guide everyone along to meet the time constraints, that's not something i've ever had to deal with so i get that part of it. I feel like if i were running this i would make it a point to remind my chars what they had before and what they had on hand etc. Even nerds will forget they have a mighty mace or whatever from time to time. Or perhaps they have a certain amount of moneys, and in cyberpunk the exact money and ammo per clip seems to matter imo.
  • i like the way gnomes was gonna have a dead character inherit an npc that was a cool way to do it. the way the pc actually handled being deadified was also a really cool way to deal with it as well imo. It would have been even heavier if he had botched that roll.
  • if i was running this i would give slightly better hints than gnomes did. For example there's equipment that can scan for radiation and comms... iirc they had some of this and never used it. It's bookkeeping homework poo poo that could have been useful to know if your gm lets you know like "oh yeah btw you guys didn't just have flashlights from last mission, you had the scanner, also on page 42069 you can buy a Geiger counter, or a radiation eyeballs to see the rads.
  • at the same time while he was v much letting the PCs do their thing, the actual players seemingly forget a lot of poo poo at all times. This is natural, I'm gonna chalk this up to the fact that they play barely once a week and have probably serious buisness jobs and poo poo also and could easily forget everything, so imo the gm should have some way to track that crap as well
  • i did like how he pulled in a forgotten old turn from an early season and made it a major job with ramifications down the line.

anyway they've done a really cool and impressive campaign i enjoyed watching, and if they decide to extend it there are a lot of different directions they can go, like the obvious one shot missions to retrieve various engram people from the sunken wreck or the last server they looked at, they could have a counter conspiracy of maybe commie cybercyn types trying to obtain the various deep suite programs and engrams and physical objects, the dead guy coming to terms with his brother's sacrifice, everything jim fingers was working towards, there could be a remnant conspiracy from the people who lost, there's the very personal story of royal, etc.

It was a lot of good youtubes i watched is the bottom line. Kind of disappointed i went through it vicariously instead of being a dumbass moran playing the game tbh. There's plenty of room for some really cool characters at every turn for the game they played though, which i think is neat. Gnomes left himself with a huge number of options if he wants to take the campaign up again he can push it whatever direction he wants i think.