Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what role you thinking of rolling?
Rockerboy
Solo
Netrunner
Tech
Media
Lawman
Exec
Fixer
Nomad
Medtech
View Results

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
Running my first session in RED tomorrow evening. I got a Media, Netrunner, Exec, and Medtech. Between all my players I managed to create a plot threat that I can tie them all into. Everything I've read so far has said that both the Exec and Media generally push the plot. So, mostly I am trying to link their stories so they want to work together.

I also had an idea for a non-Euclidean net architecture, in a way. A new net system called 'Recursion'. It acts like node in game sense. When the runner enters a Recursion node they will notice nothing there. It will be like a blank node. When they try to move themselves to the next node, they will appear back in the recursion node, but with another copy of themselves mirroring their every move. If they try to leave again they appear in the same node with four copies mirroring each other. Each time they do this it compounds the stress on their system. If they try to leave behind it follows the same exponential expansion. If they try to jack out or are forced to, they will repeat the recursion ad infinitum until their brain fries.

The players are never supposed to actually run this. It will be something they learn about before they actually get access to Recursion. It was developed by Arasaka to trap errant AI's. Once an AI enters the space it can not leave, and an AI isn't broken by the recursive nature of the node.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Re: ai trap: sounds cool. Maybe make it Netwatch tech instead of Arasaka's, set up a kind of "it's over all our heads, high level" kind of arms race that normal people have no idea about, not even netrunners

Yeah, I'm definitely going with that "above our heads" idea. I think Netwatch would work best, but I need to tie it all into other players stuff and that just worked best. But, I will poke around the idea and see if I'll lose too much by changing it. If that makes sense?

Just finished the very first session. Players had a ton of fun so it was a success. They made friends with a poser gang called Machete who all bio-sculpt and cyberware themselves into 21st Century BD mega-star Danny Trejo. The leader had a broken audiovox so his real voice come through, which was a very heavy Swedish accent that misused Mexican-American slang. They helped Swedish Danny save his girlfriend blonde Danni from some corrupt NCPD goons.

Huckabee Sting fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 30, 2022

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

Has anyone dming cyberpunk noticed that money is basically your power level? The ability to buy guns, mooks, enhancements, and info are generally more of a power source than the other stats on the sheet?

That is in a way a part the lore of cyberpunk. You do jobs to get money to get more gear, that in turn lets you get better jobs for even more money for even better gear. Rinse and repeat until you either die in the gutters, or die as a legend.

If the system accomplishes that could be up for debate.